ozzie

Northwest Or Continental

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:40 pm

I am going to BOS from PHX this summer.

On NWA the routing is PHX-MSP-BOS on a 320 then a DC9.

On CO the routing is PHX-IAH-BOS on a 737 NG.

Who should I take considering IFE, food etc.

akelley728

RE: Northwest Or Continental

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:42 pm

You will get IFE on the CO 737ng, and you might get food on the IAH-BOS segment, but without knowing your trip specifics (dates, times), I don't know for sure.

There is NO IFE on any of Northwest's domestic equipment.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:48 pm

Everybody has their own unique opinion. Fly each airline once, and then create yours. In this case, CO will excel on the things that matter to most persons within your age group: IFE is provided free of charge (two-prong headsets can be purchased for $5), there will be a free small meal/snack & greater chance for newer aircraft (whereas NW does not provide IFE on domestic flights - excluding HNL/OGG - and offers larger meals but for sale… free meals exist only to the West Coast. Personally, I prefer NW’s FF program (including elite benefits, such as upgrades), consumer service & facilities to CO, but these things won’t matter to you. Thus, again, I encourage you to fly each airline to develop your own opinion.

BTW, are we playing airline death match?

DL or AA?
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1426141

- DL WINS -

DL or CO?
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1417945

- CO WINS -

CO or NW?
(this thread)

- CO WINS -

What’s next - CO vs. UA or CO vs. US?

[Edited 2004-03-01 06:09:03]

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:50 pm

There is NO IFE on any of Northwest's domestic equipment.

You mean 'NW does not provide IFE on domestic flights, except to Hawaii.' Much of NW's equipment (most A320, every B757/DC10/A330/B747) do indeed have IFE systems.

COIAH99

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:58 pm

IP...
I'm pretty sure they use the DC10,A330 and B747 on int'l routes. Since he is only going to BOS from PHX I don't think he'll see any of those a/c on that route. Also the last NW 757 I was on had no IFE. Same goes for the A320's.
I do agree with you...Do one each way and find out which one you like better. Then next trip you'll know which one is better.
Work Hard Fly Right

akelley728

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:59 pm

IP:

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:03 pm

COIAH99,
Again...

Also the last NW 757 I was on had no IFE. Same goes for the A320's.

These aircraft have IFE systems but NW does not provide IFE on domestic flights (excluding Hawaii). There's a big difference between saying 'NW's equipment does not have IFE' (as AKelley728 did) and 'NW does not provide IFE.' NW did indeed show IFE on B757 and A320 flights to the West Coast shortly before 9-11 (after discontinuing it in 2000). The B757 flights within Asia have IFE, as will the B757 flights to Hawaii.

Of little importance to the OP, but of importance to maybe some who will read it  Smile.

Alert3

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:08 pm

Definitely go Continental. I have never had good luck with NW. CO agents at IAH are very helpful, and it's pretty easy to get around there. I actually got some good pics of the Peter Max when I was there too.... But, I went on NW once from MCI-MSP-ABQ.... they ended up cancelling the flight and I had an 8 hour layover in MSP. Only 2 gate agents were checking in 10 or so flights. There was a 2 hour wait just to check baggage!! The interior's of both the DC-9 and A320 were trashed, and it looked like those planes had been rode hard and hung up wet (excuse the cliche'.) CO had new planes, very nice cabin staff, and have always provided all around good flights.

COIAH99

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:17 pm

IP
I understand what you are saying now. Have it but don't use it. My apologies.
I guess the last NW flight I was on I didn't even notice they had it (757).
Work Hard Fly Right

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:18 pm

Alert3.

…they ended up cancelling the flight and I had an 8 hour layover in MSP. Only 2 gate agents were checking in 10 or so flights. There was a 2 hour wait just to check baggage!!

I’m confused - why would you have to check baggage in MSP? And I couldn’t imagine a two-hour wait in MCI or ABQ, since NW operates so few flights as those airports (as little as two per day at the latter).

But anyway, that problem’s not NW-specific. I’ve had flight irregularities, both airline and weather related, on numerous airlines (which will happen when you fly frequently). Generally, I find that NW does a superb job in handling the situations… AA is the absolute worst.

[Edited 2004-03-01 06:24:10]

flyabr

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:29 pm

IP,

what is your relationship to NWA? you seem to support them every chance you get...

NIKV69

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:30 pm

There is no comparison. Gordon Bethune has built probably the best American carrier. Fly CO, new fleet, great service and great fares!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

SR 103

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:37 pm

I fly a lot of both and have come to one conclusion, neither is better or worse. They both have their bad days, and they both have their bad apples. They both also have some of the best employees in the industry.

The conclusion I have come to is that as I fly up front thanks to the elite upgrades; I normally opt for the cheaper alternative. For all my domestic flights, that always ends up being Continental and for all my International travel, that is Northwest.

Continental: The service is great at times, but I have had some nasty experiences with them as well. The food is decent and the plane are normally clean and well kept. The 737NG's are great to fly, love the 739. Now IFE is where CO shines, or atleast used too. The music is much appreciated, but some of the movies these days are nothing worth giving a second look too.

Northwest: I am very partial to the airline as over the last two years I have seen them go from "Northworst" to "Northbest." I like to reward an airline such as this as they really did take the time and effort to improve themselves and I have to say, customer service is very important in my book. The IFE is non existent on the domestic flights, but the food is better up front and the meals available for sale are better than what is served in coach on other airlines (including CO) in most instances. As far as aircraft go, the DC-9's are immaculate and well kept with 717 interiors, so I see no reason to avoid them. The Airbus planes are excellent as well, just as good as the 737NG's on Continental.

Overall, your choice. I recommend both. If you can't choose, see which one is cheaper. If IFE is important to you, the opt for Continental. Overall, you won't be disappointed in either, I am sure of that.

SR 103

Alert3

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:45 pm

I checked in the luggage at MCI..... and I was probably exaggerating a little on the 10 flights, but those 2 check in people were very busy and the 100 or so people in line were getting mighty anxious. Plus... if I would have had to check in at MSP and it was that busy, it would have been OK because i had an 8 hour layover!!!!!!!!!!

jeckPDX

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:47 pm

I'm sure this is a thread where opinion will rule and the facts tossed around. So here goes:

IP: As bad as AA may be at handling delays (weather, meachanical, etc.) I have never had a worse experience with a delay than with DL. (Slept on a bench @ BWI on my 16th birthday by myself with no compensation or even a meal voucher) A UA agent actually offered me a blanket and pillow since all the hotels were booked solid. Never had even a remotely similar experience on AA

Also, in regards to the IFE on NW A320/B757. If I recall correctly, I saw Ocean's Eleven on a NW 757 from MSP-PDX in early 2002. Not sure if it is one of those perks (such as free meals) on flights to the west coast.

Ozzie: As far as the relevant topic is concerned, I think you will prefer CO (service and equipment wise) with IFE offered for sure, free meal or snack, and a newer jet. IMHO, NW's domestic service leaves a little something to be desired. Whichever you choose, have a great flight and trip.

BRgds
JeckPDX
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:51 pm

what is your relationship to NWA? you seem to support them every chance you get...

At least I've been fair & accurate in most of my responses. Sure, I support NW / think CO’s a pretty shitty airline on most non in-flight product levels, but I didn’t say that in my above postings, did I? In fact, I mentioned that the OP would probably prefer CO, even though I think he’s comparing airlines for his own intrigue as opposed to his travel needs.

FlyGuyClt

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments about NWA guys .

Either airline is a cut above the rest according to D.O.T. statistics and J.D.Powers and Associates Surveys.

This year the NWA hubs of MSP, DTW, and AMS have all won awards in the top 10 most preferred airports by business travelers. It also seems that CO always wins most preferred to fly.

Also don't forget. Delta Air Lines is now part of the alliance. So it is a 3 to 1 ratio in your choice. Either one you fly. Hope the flight is good and the weather is agreeable.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

isitsafenow

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:11 am

If you are looking for inflite jollies, NW is probably not the answer. I fly NW to PHX every year from either the MSP or DTW hub and have seen a couple of movies but not within the last couple of years. Perhaps someone else can make a statement here. I cant speak about food on CO, but I know NW is offering more and more "buy a meal". The service, less entertainment, though not spectacular, is good on NW.
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

slider

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:12 am

Your total flights times for that itinerary are probably a wash, but do you have a preference over what terminal you use? NW and CO operate out of different terminals in PHX.

Ozzie- I would dare to say that perhaps you should take the one that offers the more competitive fare! Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone cited such a revolutionary idea! Big grin

Also, if you're Elite on either, the benefits transfer to both. The new P-Club in IAH Term E is amazing.

flyabr

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:06 am

IP,

you still didn't answer my question. do you just like northwest...or do you work for them...or do you wanna work for them? it's just that i've noticed your presence in almost every topic that is related to NWA or its airlink partners. and you run to their defense whenever you can...i don't see you doing that for other airlines...so what's the deal?

AeroAussie

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:11 am

Although I have not flown Northwest, I can certainly testify to Continental having a superior domestic product. You will definitely have IFE on the flight from BOS to IAH and maybe from IAH to PHX. All of CO's newer 737s have audio and overhead video installed. Also, CO definitely provides more in the way of food than say DL or AA does domesticly. I have heard horror stories about NW and would just assume stick with CO since I know that the level of service they provide is very good (for domestic travel.)
Hope this helps.

-Nick

a330marcus

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:21 am

I've flown NW on DC9 (YYZ-MSP) and A320 (MSP-SJC). The DC9 interiors were somewhat old. Ditto for the A320 --> I think it was their -100 series and the cushions on the seat backs were just non-existent (I felt the metal frame of the seat through the cushion). MSP was also big and cumbersome to transfer through (and I found some MSP retailers to be slow and uninterested at what they're doing - just a personal observation).

In contrast, CO has been consistently good. Although IAH is HUGE and plenty of walking is required if you get far gates, it was an uneventful transfer. I flew SFO-IAH (B737-800, redeye, very nice plane with *well-cushioned* seats) and transfer to EWR through their B757 (older, I slept most of the way). At EWR, their terminal C is a lot more convenient to transfer through (finger shaped).

Although, in NWA's defense, their DTW hub is very nice; I was coming back from SFO on their older 757-200's and had the opportunity to walk around before my A319 YYZ leg. The train inside the terminal was a nice touch. The A319 felt *much* newer than their older A320s.

From my experience with NWA's DC9's and A320's, I would stick with CO. You get IFE and a better meal (IMHO, CO offers at least a *hot* sandwich for dinner). I find CO's staff to be more friendly too.

JBLUA320

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:32 am

Easy. Continental. You can definately expect something worthwhile on the IAH-BOS sector, though just peanuts/pretzels to IAH from PHX.

Nevertheless, the new seat is comfortable and the 73G is a nice performer. And from a service standpoint, though Northwest is my 3rd favorite airline, Continental does beat them (CO/COEX = my #2  Smile)

JBLU

PS- Of course, you all should be able to figure out what my numero uno is!

A330Jamaica

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:47 am

I have never flown on CO but NW, old planes and all; of the American carriers I have been on seem to have among the best pilots, reminds me of my younger days in the 80's and early nineties when I flew. They consistently (especially the DC9 pilots) land the plane like feathers to the point that I had to comment on it on disembarking one flight. Northwest also has two very nice hubs in MSP and DTW. I don't know IAH but I know EWR and I will say that MSP and DTW has EWR beaten hands down. I would have to try CO to make a true comparison but I would say NW is among my favourite North American carriers. Certainly better than AA, DL, US, UA.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:52 am

A few years ago for Spring break i flew NW PHX-MSP-BOS-MSP-PHX. I flew a DC-10 A320 and 2 757s. It was nice. If your only gonna sleep and dont really care if you have food and IFE then fly NW if you care fly CO

[Edited 2004-03-02 03:57:10]

YoungDon

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:54 pm

As a Houstonian, I must definitely swing my support behind the obvious... NW!

I'm just playing, myself, I would choose NW because I like DC9's and want to fly them as much as possible before they retire, but IFE and IAH are hard to pass up.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:00 pm

A330marcus, I agree with you that some of the retailers and fast food workers at MSP are rather...ehm...not top of their class. If you find one that speaks descent English, consider yourself lucky.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

jeckPDX

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:07 pm

I'll agree that NW's DTW hub is among the best, a vast improvement over the dump it was before. I havn't been through MSP in a couple years but when I did stop through in Jan 02 (CVG-MSP-PDX) it was under quitre a bit of construction. I hope to visit soon to see the progress/completion. Last time at IAH was in '89 so I can't really go there. EWR is allright in my book but not up to the standard set by DTW. My opinion on the hub structure.
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

sllevin

Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:28 pm

Just remember that CO coach is tighter than NW's by a solid inch. If you're tall, that may factor in -- at 31" even my knees come close to hitting the seat in front if me.

Steve

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:52 pm

FlyABR,
What's your problem? Most people on this board have a preferred airline; I don’t see you questioning them (nor do I post to every NW-related topic, although I happen to post more frequently than others). And at least I’m fair in my assessments.

Example from this thread:
Although I have not flown Northwest, I can certainly testify to Continental having a superior domestic product.

It’s impossible to “testify” that CO offers a “superior” domestic product to NW if you’ve never flown both carriers. Hearsay is hearsay - I can tell horror stories for just about every airline I’ve flown with…

- - -

The DC9 interiors were somewhat old.

NW’s DC-9 fleet received brand new 717-like interiors a few years ago… I doubt the average person could tell the difference. Although I don’t find NW’s interior colors to be visually appealing…

Although IAH is HUGE and plenty of walking is required if you get far gates … their terminal C is a lot more convenient to transfer through (finger shaped).

Wow - I’ll strongly disagree with this. Unless your CO flight arrives/departs at terminal D, IAH lacks long walks (although transfers to/from regional aircraft require one to take the tram). In contrast, long walks can be common at EWR, especially if you’re connecting from ExpressJet to a international CO flight.

FlyGuyClt

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:27 pm

FlyAbr:

I am an employee of NWA. What I like the most about IP is that I usually don't have to chime in because he is right on the nail about alot. I myself don't know if he works for NWA or not. But either way. His information is very factual and to the point without exageration. While, I don't always agree with everything said. The posts that I have read in regards to NWA is pretty much how it is.

Many Thanks.

Safe Flying  Smile

Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

ND

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:37 pm

I live in Houston and I also must say that there are long walks in IAH. After checking in for my IAH-EWR flight (which I would be connecting in EWR for BRU) I had to walk all the way to Terminal D which is so long that I, in fact, almost missed my flight.

I have also never flown on NWA, and saying that Continental is a "superior" product does imply some degree of comparison. However, I will say that Continental is an awesome airline and nearly all of my experiences with them have been excellent. The only other airline that has been able to garner that respect from me (albiet my respect isn't worth much) is Emirates.

ND
Hated By Many
Confronted By None
ND - Hated By Many, Confronted By None

funflyer

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:40 pm

While I have never flown on NW (In April I will!!!!) I have flown on CO from MHT-EWR-CDG, then CO / LIRF), Italy">FCO-EWR-MHT, I thought there service, even on the MHT-EWR flight was awesome! All of the f/a were very friendly and seemed to really like there jobs, I couldent tell you who to fly because I havent been on them both, but if I had to choose............... go with DL.  Big grin

Rich
Who cares about status?

flyabr

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 am

IP,

take it easy...just wondering why you seem so hell bent on supporting NW. guess it's your favourite airline. i certainly hope you are receiving some sort of compensation for running to the rescue all the time... Big grin

[Edited 2004-03-03 01:05:01]

a330marcus

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:10 am

Wow - I’ll strongly disagree with this. Unless your CO flight arrives/departs at terminal D, IAH lacks long walks (although transfers to/from regional aircraft require one to take the tram). In contrast, long walks can be common at EWR, especially if you’re connecting from ExpressJet to a international CO flight.

At IAH, I had to walk to a terminal D flight from an arriving flight and it felt like forever. Maybe I was too tired from my redeye. And there are NO moving walkways. As for EWR, some expressjet and do park at Terminal C. Considering the number of gates that terminal C handles, EWR is a much more transfer-friendly terminal. And it's got great shopping/dining with big huge windows looking over the gate areas.

KaiGywer, as for MSP workers, it took me 20 minutes to buy a moosehead pencil top. Almost missed my flight  Smile

sllevin

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:38 am

IAH can be a good walk -- espcially if you get an E to D connection!

That said, MSP can have some long walks. But DTW is, without a dobt, the best.

Steve

Jano

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:23 pm

FlyAbr:

There hardly is anything I can add to what Flyguyclt wrote about IP. I know IP from a couple air travel message boards and he really is the know.

... and I'm only a happy NWA flyer who learned lots of stuff from IP.

Happy flying  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jano
The Widget Air Line :)

Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:00 pm

At IAH, I had to walk to a terminal D flight from an arriving flight and it felt like forever.

As I noted, "D" is an exception  Big grin. But it's not often one will be connecting via "D."

- - -

And thanks for the nice comments, FlyGuyCLT and Jano!!

jetdeltamsy

Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:11 pm

both are excellent. newer planes and probably more ife at continental.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

slider

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:31 pm

With regard to IAH, a few terminal notes are in order.

With the introduction of Terminal E and the 23 new gates there, and the refurb of each wing over the next several years, the operation has migrated it's core activity to the south side.

The first wing that is closed is C 24-27 on the north side, as well as the eastern facing gates on the longer finger that ranges from C 14-23, of which 4 I believe are inop for now.

Since Term E opened, Continental is trying to move as much activity out of Term D as possible, given that they are city gates and cost a bundle per turn. The only reason CO is using them at all is for international arrivals. Most of the intl departures are out of E, as well as some domestic, but the bulk of the CO mainline domestic operation is running from the south side of C, gates C 29-45.

Terminal B also keeps humming with the whole COEX operation.

saslover

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:39 pm

Take Continental it's good i have flied with them from NewArk too Orlando they are good i think but it's upp too your own
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:12 am

Okay, I've read the thread so far. Since I fly both airlines (best fare or best schedule to a particular location) I can't really see a teaspoon's worth of difference between the two -- they're both excellent. It's pretty much "Do I want to fly Airbus today or Boeing?"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

To some locations I've flown to (ANC, YYC, YVR) Northwest's scheduling is much more convenient than Continental's -- Northwest is better placed in western Canada and Alaska. At other locations (ABQ, TUS, SNA) Continental has more flights at more convenient times than Northwest -- Continental is better placed in the southwest. I've had misconnects and mechanicals on both airlines. But both airlines have done a bang-up job of getting me where I was going and getting me on my way with minimum inconvenience. I've seen more Northwest flight attendants go far beyond the call of duty (medical emergency, difficult pax, etc) than Continental, so to me Northwest has a 'people' advantage. Northwest gate agents all have personalities, most especially at MSP. Continental gate agents just seem to be good folks doing their jobs -- except at CLE, but then I've always had a problem with Cleveland-Hopkins across the board.

The clincher is that a good part of the time, CO and NW cooperate so closely that I can buy a Continental ticket with half the legs as NW codeshares or a Northwest ticket with half the legs as CO codeshares. That's good since I no longer have to make a decision whether to fly Airbus or Boeing.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy