gkirk
Posts: 23350
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2000 3:29 am

Northwest 747 In New C/s

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:58 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I tried searching for it, but, the new NW c/s looks pretty good on the 747-200.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Spijkers


View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Gaddis - SPOT THIS!

When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!
 
Boeing777/747
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:07 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:02 pm

I still do not understand that "chopped" red tail. It doesn't give the plane something extra, it just ruins. Pitty!
 
andz
Posts: 7628
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:38 pm

Looks okay till you see it from the other side, what's with the north east pointing compass? You'd think the designers they paid a fortune to design it would have thought of something this simple.


View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
hammer
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:02 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:49 pm

ANDZ-this has been talked about over and over again in here, try to search for it...it has to do with how NWA flies to all points of the compass (world)...plus it has to look uniform with the other side...but try to find out more about it by searching for it....and as far as the "chopped" red tail, it has to do with the compass and its it the same on all aircraft..(the arc of the circle)
 
AMERICAN757
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:31 pm

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:08 am

woah, so like one side of the plane is Northeast Airlines and the other is Northwest
 
KKMolokai
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2000 2:06 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:13 am

" still do not understand that "chopped" red tail. It doesn't give the plane something extra, it just ruins. Pitty!"


I think what is being asked/stated here is: The tail, instead of being completely red, the bottom portion (near the fuselage) is left grey/silver. Why didn't they just paint the entire tail red ... this has nothing to do with the logo on the tail.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.
 
Stretch 8
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri May 28, 1999 4:00 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:18 am

Why bother to paint this old rust bucket in new colours? That bird is older than about 70% of the A.net regulars. Same goes for the ancient D10s. I know these a/c are paid for (years ago), but they really should get rid of them.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!
 
Mikey711MN
Posts: 1233
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:19 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:53 am

Why bother to paint this old rust bucket in new colours? That bird is older than about 70% of the A.net regulars. Same goes for the ancient D10s. I know these a/c are paid for (years ago), but they really should get rid of them.

Not so ironically, roughly 70% of A.net (including many of the younger members) probably views your statement as a rational one. For the remaining 30%, who recognize that airlines are in business to make money and not to simply have the newest fleet (a corelation that is loose at best), NW's decision to paint their comparatively older but notably paid-for, revenue-earning airplanes with a less expensive livery is a remarkably sound decision.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...
 
jmy007
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:18 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:59 am

With Northwest new c/s, NWA is featured promenetly, as well as on their website.
Do they want us to start calling them NWA?

Just a question  Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.
 
petazulu
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:32 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:22 am

The compass pointing NorthEast is wierd.... I don't usually care much about liveries etc., but it would seem really silly to have this pointing NothEast!

I find it highly amuzing...
 
slider
Posts: 6870
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:27 am

Not so ironically, roughly 70% of A.net (including many of the younger members) probably views your statement as a rational one. For the remaining 30%, who recognize that airlines are in business to make money and not to simply have the newest fleet (a corelation that is loose at best), NW's decision to paint their comparatively older but notably paid-for, revenue-earning airplanes with a less expensive livery is a remarkably sound decision.

-Mike


Mike- You're giving Stretch a big benefit of the doubt there with 70%. Probably the vast majority of folks here would agree that even NW's oldest 744 is only 1989 vintage (and newest a year old)....is comapritively youthful in terms of widebodies, especially.

And given the massive list price per copy, they had better be flying them for years to come.

Stretch- you do your credibility an injustice by saying something that ignorant, IMO.
 
nwa man
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 1999 3:24 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:13 am

The compass pointing NorthEast is wierd.... I don't usually care much about liveries etc., but it would seem really silly to have this pointing NothEast!

I find it highly amuzing...



I find your grammar and spelling highly amusing, too, but that's not the point. The compass is on the northeast side of the logo, but it still 'points' northwest. Agreed with the others... this has been discussed far too many times.


N-Dub
Create your own luck.
 
jmy007
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:18 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:26 am

Yup, it points northwest! Great optical illusion. Just Like the old logo with the N and the compass/and the w with a slash through it!  Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.
 
hammer
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:02 am

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:57 am

KK---it does have to do with the logo on the tail as far as the paint not going down...it has the same "arc" on every A/C...
 
NWAFA
Posts: 1843
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:30 pm

RE: Northwest 747 In New C/s

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:22 pm

STREATCH,

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, however TODAY I am SO GREATFUL we have the 747's and DC10's still! We are NO where near bankruptucy like ones that have replaced aircraft. Our obligations to both empployees and SHAREHOLDERS are and were the priorty..so having them keeps that!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos