cmckeithen

No More Standing In Line For Potty While In Air

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:28 am

As of Sunday Feb 29th 2004, FAA regulations prohibits passangers to stand and wait for and occupied lavatory to become available.

deltaflyertoo

RE: No More Standing In Line For Potty While In Air

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:34 am

Never heard of this...how will this be enforced, what about pax who don't need to go but are standing around to stretch?

scottysair

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:35 am

Why did FAA make change with their rules onboard with airplanes and no more wait than of 5 mins, right? I would like still know about what is going on with airlines and else?

PJS800

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 am

Guess people will start having to race to the lavatory when they see it becomes unoccupied. What is the purpose of this new regulation?

PJ Smile

cmckeithen

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:38 am

It's true.

I just flew in last night and they enforced this by having one of the flight attendants simply ask the passanger to return to his/her seat and wait for the blue light to go off. If they refuse, they will be in interfearance of a flight. A federal offense.

[Edited 2004-03-01 23:39:57]

ssides

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:39 am

I've flown AA dozens of times since 9/11, and they always mention this policy, but don't enforce it very much. It is generally more enforced for the forward lavs than the aft lavs, but still it's spotty. I was under the impression that this regulation has been in place for a while.

The purpose is to prevent a sudden mad rush for the cockpit. The theory, I assume, is that terrorists could coordinate "lining up" at the restroom, then all decide to rush the cockpit at the same time.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

cmckeithen

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:41 am

I think its more for safety of the passenger. Un-expected turbulence.

[Edited 2004-03-01 23:45:28]

7574EVER

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:48 am

I posted this comment in a similar topic (Keeping your legs crossed for 14 hours).

"OK, OK. Here's what I don't understand. We can't form a "group" to wait to use the lav. Whoever has ever been on an airliner will know that their is no way to form a group in the aisle of an airplane. It's only wide enough for people to form a line. So I think the announcements need to be clarified a bit as to how many people in a line make a group. Anyway, that being said, what about these reinforced cockpit doors that are supposedly impenetrable. If these new doors are as good as the "big wigs" say they are, why is there a need for this silly bathroom rule. God, I feel like I'm back to the days where I had to ask for permission to go to use the bathroom at school."
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

RonE

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:51 am

Jeez, why don't they just make it a requirement for everyone who flies to have their bladder surgically removed?

ushermittwoch

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:53 am

So are they going to hand out numbers for people that want to go to the lavatory so people know when it's their turn? Otherwise I can see more harm than good coming out of this.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

cmckeithen

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:54 am

Can I take a number please. Oh shoot its 17 and I gotta go.

RonE

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:56 am

Maybe instead of numbers they'll start issuing catheters for everyone before takeoff Big grin

cmckeithen

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:59 am

Or better yet cups. I would check that apple juice before you drink it on your next flight.

Theiler

RE: No More Standing In Line For Potty While In Ai

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:14 am

Doesn't really matter. Sooner or later, the lavs will dissapear from commercial flights in the US anyway, given the current "low cost" operating model.

Thank god for NetJets, Flight Options, Flex Jet, etc.

jhooper

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:17 am

Can someone please cite a specific regulation number, and/or post the actual regulation???
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ushermittwoch

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:19 am

Theiler, does that mean we'll see B1900RJs?
On ultra-low density trans-cons (EUG-BGR, maybe)?
 Wink/being sarcastic
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

FLAIRPORT

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:29 am

i'm seriously interested on how to fairly make this work...a person who has had to go for 20 mins, but is furthest away from the lav...does that person have a disadvantage? Will FAs direct people to an open restroom? Will parents with their little kids be forced to go sit down while their kids are using the restroom, scared about turbulance?

does this also mean no galley visits?

somehow i think this is not real. Even so, it is unconstitutional...if i got arrested for this, i'd go straight to the suprime court.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

ozzie

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:34 am

Flairport-I am not sure where this is noted in the constitution, because I am sure are Founding Fathers did not insert a clause saying "People may not wait in line for a lavatory" but...I may be wrong. I keep a copy of the constitution on my desk, I'll check up on it.

Anyway, How the heck are we supposed to know when one is open? I know someone who enjoys spending long periods of time in lavs, and others who get out ASAP.

Ozzie in PHC

cmckeithen

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:37 am

The Blue Light on one of the panels near the lav.

flyingbronco05

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:46 am

Never heard of this...how will this be enforced, what about pax who don't need to go but are standing around to stretch?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1331469/4/

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1336562/
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

5T6

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:49 am

Just wait till they install PAY toilets (exact change only, of course)!! Gotta get them revenues anyway they can!  Big thumbs up

Regards,

Mike
I see my Cats as Companions. My Cats see Me as Furniture!

cedarjet

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:52 am

I find this absolutely astonishing. If it's such a big deal, maybe have toilets midships and aft - there's no way you could make a meaningful charge to the cockpit from further than 5 rows, too many obstructions, curtains etc. Land of the brave eh.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

WindowSeat

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:52 am

Anyone have any information on the actual regulation? Also, does this apply to international carriers flying to/from the US?

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

luv2fly

Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:06 am

When flying ATA/TZ last year on a charter flight they did make an announcement about no lining up for the forward lavatory! Also I remember WN doing this as well.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ltbewr

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:01 am

Maybe they could have groups of rows take turns, just like loading, with exemptions for handicapped, etc. Of course there would be many trying to get exemptions "I got a bladder problem...I have diarriaha". The f/a's could make announcements at busy times for the lav like: "The lavatory in the center section of the aircraft is open to passangers in rows 12 to 16 and the lavatory in the aft is now open for use by passangers in rows 35 to 40..." Big grin
Rules like this usually have their reasons, including here where the air marshalls don't want their view blocked of the front of the aircraft, a group of people gathering together to storm the cockpit or set up a hijacking, or to reduce the risk of injury of passangers (and lawsuit costs) not in seats and belts on in case of turbulance.

2912n

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:18 am

Funny how everyone gets up in arms and angry and bashes the US over something that in all probablity does not exist. If someone can provide a direct link to this regulation please do so...but I can't find anything on the FAA Regs website regarding this issue.

nwadc10

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:20 am

No one on this continent seems capable of saying this emperor wears no clothes.....
For that of course you need schools that actually teach you to read....

BR715-A1-30

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:26 am

As of the mid-80s, you have started to see Little LAVATORY OCCUPIED signs in aircraft. Even re-furbished aircraft have them now. FLs older DC9s didn't, but they had the "Outhouse style" locks on the doors.
Puhdiddle

Skydrol

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:51 am

Stand in line? Why bother? Too much effort anyway. Use the floor. It will become "The New Normal"

"... Our new lav-free flights may not smell mountain spring fresh... but we'll get you there for 83 cents less..."

LD4

[Edited 2004-03-02 02:52:12]
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

JAFA

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:41 am

Everyone is shooting off sarcastic comments without any evidence. I looked into it. I am a FA and frequently fly up front. Its not a FAA regulation but a TSA guideline. It concerns mostly any lavatory close to the flight deck. Flight deck doors were made much more sturdy to delay anyone who might be trying to break through it. In other words give the crew on both sides of the door more time to react.
I am not supposed to discuss security issues with people who don't have a need to know. But I will say its not "illegal" to have a few people waiting for the lavs not by the flight deck. Its not okay to have a line of people up front by the cockpit. The lav up front is usually restricted for use by FC customers anyway.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:48 pm

Ushermittwoch, yeah, numbers like they do at the post office. You pick a number from a dispenser on the wall, then go sit down until your number is called. Then you have 10 seconds to get there, or they'll go to the next number, and you have to pick a new one and wait again.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

jhooper

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:54 pm

I am not supposed to discuss security issues with people who don't have a need to know.

Doesn't the "no standing in line for the potty" rule constitute something that we passengers "need to know"???

By the way, I thought this was mainly for international flights, particularly those inbound to the U.S., as was posted on this forum during the last "Code Orange". Are you saying they apply to all flights now?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

keno

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:01 pm

And what about SQ's new A345 Leadership SIN-LAX? (and soon SIN-NYC). I heard they have a bar area where passengers can mingle around. Why worry about queueing passengers when you a perfectly nice place for any terrorist to coordinate their actions? (God forbid!).

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:12 pm

So now we have reinforced cockpit doors that you can't get through even with an axes. How on earth would 10 people trying to bash it have a chance, standing up or not?

I find the current preoccupation with sharp objects, standing up and so on a bit excessive considering the cockpit door. Don't get me wrong, I don't like hijackings either and I agree that carrying a knife onboard is not a good thing. But if the pilots don't open the reinforced door, a knife or a toilet line won't help you get in anyway. It just seems that they're solving a problem that doesn't exist anymore.

Just my €0.02
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:13 pm

Keno - good point. Also, what about the stand-up bar in Upper Class on VS - does that constitute a danger to National Security as well ?

Why doesn't the US Department of Paranoia (aka Homeland Security) just fess up and say what they really want - all pax in orange jumpsuits, sedated, gagged, handcuffed to their seats, with cotton bags over their heads. After all, we're all "potential" terrorists right ? And that means we MUST be guilty.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Bruce

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:20 pm

I am not sure about this. I think someone mis-understood it. I think that it applies to the FORWARD lav. I always hear F/A's say they do not allow people to congregate in line for the forward lav. They do not want a bunch of people gathered around near the cockpit door.

And forward lav's are now restricted to first class pax anyway - so yes, if you are in First you cannot wait in line anymore.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:28 pm

Bruce, the First Class argument is only valid for airlines with a First Class. No LCCs need apply.

In Europe (ok no reg here but just blabblering), no airlines have first class, only Business, on intra-European.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

pilatusguy

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:38 pm

There's only one word for this new regulation: stupid
and oh wonder - it's a US policy again. What are they, afraid of every human being alive? come on, gimme a break!

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:44 pm

I have to fly to the US in May. I guess this means that I will, yet again, choose a European carrier. No change there. Even before 9/11, I disliked the American carriers. Service tends to be subpar (IMHO) compared to BA/AF/LH/KL and prices are worse. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

trident2e

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:45 pm

Jafa - I thought the whole point of your country's wonderful new security system was that people with dubious intentions couldn't get on the aircraft in the first place. Sounds like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted if the authorities have to introduce regulations (sorry, guidelines) to stop people waiting to go to the toilet. I think this really is the best example yet of bureaucracy gone completely mad.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:55 pm

Agree Trident2e! Also, even if they get on board, how will the chew their way through the cockpit door? With their teeth or with the toothpick from the swiss army knife?

RonE

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:25 pm

Skydrol,

"Stand in line? Why bother? Too much effort anyway. Use the floor. It will become "The New Normal""

You may think it's funny, but I have a friend who is an F/A with Lufthansa who told me that on a flight from New Delhi once one of the passengers just dropped his pants in the middle of the gangway and did his business.

je89_w
Crew

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:33 pm

Paranoya is why all this is happening.

The only way to get to the lav is to rush once someone gets out. If you lose, oh well. You'll have to go back to your seat, no matter how badly you have to go.  Insane

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:40 pm

You may think it's funny, but I have a friend who is an F/A with Lufthansa who told me that on a flight from New Delhi once one of the passengers just dropped his pants in the middle of the gangway and did his business.

The percentage of morons in the general population has not changed because of 9/11, they are simply coming out of the woodwork now.  Big grin

RonE

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:46 pm

Starlionblue,

This was BEFORE 9/11

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:52 pm

Ok, remove the second part of that sentence. I'm afraid there will always be a number of twits in the population. Annoying but what are you going to do?

pilottim747

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:54 pm

Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

747400F

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:34 pm

Yet another reason to to fly to the US. Will stupidity never end!
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

BOEING747-700

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:06 pm

Yes I heard the FAs on my Flight say we couldn't stand and wait for the Lav. The one toilet was broken and so passengers would have to walk all the way to the rear of the plane for the wash room. How would that work when you cant see the occupied sign at the front for the only working toilet at the back of the plane

aircadet

RE: No More Standing In Line For Potty While In Ai

Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:22 pm

What's all the fuss about, in the seat pocket in front of you there's a sick bag, just do it inside it and hand it to the TSA while they check your passport, take your photo, fingerprints, dna, shoe size, and ask when you that last time you picked your nose.

is'nt travel great!!
tlaqna hi