QIguy24
Topic Author

U.S. Plans For Screeners In Overseas Airports

Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:50 pm

I just read this one on CNN.
I thought it was pretty hilarious and wanted to hear your opinion about it.
It feels like the HSD doesn't trust the european security workers at the airports.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/03/01/airlines.security.report.reut/index.html

magyar

RE: U.S. Plans For Screeners In Overseas Airports

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:39 pm

No problem, the US will send screeners abroad and all foreign
countries send sceeners to the US. I suppose Mr/Ms proud
american gladly subject him/herself to the scrutinity of a
foreign screener on American soil if it increases security.
Right?

fritzi

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:45 pm

Should I laugh or should I cry.

The people in the Homeland Security Department come up with the most bizarre ideas. Their ideas sound like they are coming from a 5 year old for crying out lound!

Where did they find these guys, in a small inbread redneck town in Arkansas that no one has ever heard of???

Andreas

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:02 pm

Looks like another battlefield in international law made up by people who don't really know what they are talking about.

After my own experiences with German and US security on airports, I have to say I feel much safer with our security staff here in FRA than with those in e.g. JFK, who didn't even look on the screen when my boardcase went through.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

SailorOrion

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:17 pm

The problem we have is that there are a huge number of airports in Europe with ridiculous security around, and few people seem to be interested in changing that, I have myself travelled through a number of those airports. Of course I am under the personal impression that security here in MUC is stricter than on most U.S. airports I have ever been to ...

SailorOrion

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:57 pm

SailorOrion said:
"The problem we have is that there are a huge number of airports in Europe with ridiculous security around, and few people seem to be interested in changing that, I have myself travelled through a number of those airports."

Such as?

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

fritzi

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:26 pm

Starlionblue,

Just to name one:
-Rhodos

While going through the security check point, the guard asked me to put my camera case on a table while walking through the metal detector. When I had goten through, he handed me my case again without even checking it!!!
The case is big enough to fit almost two guns in it!!!  Wow!

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:35 pm

Granted some of those airports, but I think the issue is larger airports that offer direct service to the states.

Besides, the terorrism issue will not be solved (only) with better security. Foreign aid would help more, € for €. There will always be a way to circumvent security.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

saslover

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:42 pm

I am with QIguy24 it is very Redicilous that they don't use european security in Europe. "it's expensive".
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

fritzi

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:45 pm

SASlover, but they do use European screeners in Europe! The US can not do all the things that they want to do in foreign countries.

QIguy24
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:49 pm

I totally agree with you Starlionblue.

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:41 pm

I don't see that it would make much difference - most US carriers already employ officious unnecessary people to comb their check in queues and ask probing subtle questions like "You're a terrorist, aren't you ? I can tell..." in a masterly attempt to defeat the evil plottings of swarthy levantines. Whether these people are employed by the TSA or by Neasden Security Co is immaterial, since neither lot are going to be highly trained anti-terrorist profilers are they ? By the simple precaution of being able to invent a reasonably plausible address in the US and not actually wearing an Arab headress and ammunition looped over each shoulder, they are usually pretty easy to get past I'm sure.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Cessna172RG

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:55 pm

How about we just tar and feather each passenger as they go through the security checkpoints...I mean, it's already humiliating enough to watch an 80 year old wheelchair bound grandmother have to take her shoes off that she can barely pull off, while she's stripped of her oxygen tank to make sure that it's oxygen...

Use some common sense, people! Then again, our fearless leader is an AWOL alcoholic felon who spent a few hours in jail for driving drunk and hasn't a clue how to run the world but boy, he sure knows how to party with Dick and Rummy!
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

aviaction

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:03 pm

This must be a joke for sure ... just, how come I am not laughing?
German by nationality, European by heart!

ushermittwoch

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:51 am

Well unlike in the US I haven't EVER seen a screener in Europe pay so little attention to what people have in their suitcases but oh boy, if you belt buckle sets the alarm off, all hell breaks loose.
My solution is to ban every foreigner, including those vile Canadians, from US bound flights.
Then our brave friends will not have to live in constant fear.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:53 am

How about only allowing people to travel naked, or in a pinch with a space blanket, and with no luggage except one book each.

sulman

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:55 am

Screeners in airports? I can just see it.

"This passenger was rejected due to badweapon...."
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:01 am

Starlion - depends on the book. The 'frowned upon list' would include

1. The Koran
2. anything by Michael Moore
3. anything in French
4. anything in Arabic or other non-Roman alphabet languages (ooh, suspicious !)
5. anything by Tom Clancy - all those long-winded technical explanations of high-tech munitions might give people 'ideas'.
6. Flight manuals
7. The Idiot's Guide to MS Flight Simulator 2000
8. anything with large-breasted females and/or bulging males on the cover (might enflamed unsavoury passions !)
9. The Communist Manifesto (god-d*mned commies !)
10. anything that isn't the Bible.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:04 am

LMAO! Good point! But please let's not forget pr0n!

TransIsland

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 am

Remind me again, Mr Tom Ridge, where did the terrorists of 9/11 board those flights?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 am

We never forget about p*rn ! Only healthy heterosexual publications allowed, featuring only 2 participants of opposite gender, with no artificial ingredients.

ushermittwoch

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 am

I think I am on the No Fly List under the new statutes. Not only did I visit Trier, Karl Marx' hometown last month, I was also born and raised in his brother in crime's, Friedrich Engels, hometown...
Luckily I am reading some GOOD ol' US domination literature for college right now, let the civilizations clash....
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:17 am

I seriously want to get a big ole Libyan or Syrian stamp in my passport, just to annoy them. One tragic nob screening pax in a TWA (this was even pre 9/11) checkin line at LGW got most bent out of shape because I had a Jordanian stamp in my passport, and gave me the third degree with a rubber hose.

Fascist.