White Eagle
Topic Author

Auf Wiedersehen Lauda! Hello Austrian.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:21 pm

These are the words plastered across a huge billboard in Sydney, Australia.

It looks like the Austrian Airlines group has decided to start flying under the "Austrian" name on flights to Australia.

The billboard then proceeds to say:

"New Name - Same Smile"

Austrian
By Lauda (in small letters)

As mentioned in previous threads, the flights to Australia will use the standard OS numbering from the end of March and not use the 3000 series reserved for what were previously NG operated flights.

It means that a sad end in Lauda's 16 year history of flying to Australia in its own name will end and being the only airline to have cabin crew wear Levis Jeans. How sad!

I used to real enjoy flying them up until a few years ago and since Niki Lauda left, that entrepreneurial spirit seems to have left the airline. I guess it was only time before OS assimilated Lauda.

VHTAE

RE: Auf Wiedersehen Lauda! Hello Austrian.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:32 pm

I was coming home from work today and noticed the same billboard at the new docklands development in Melbourne. It's sad to see Lauda lose it's name and let's hope Austrian keep flying to Australia.

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:13 pm

I don't think Austrian have any intention of pulling out. I was talking to their rep the other day at work, and they are increasing rather than decreasing flights, not to mention they are investing in Advertising & a whole lot of new fare products. That's a lot of infrastructure to get in order just to pull out. I can't wait to see the 777 in the Austrian livery.
Flown to 128 Airports in 48 Countries on 81 Operators. Visited 56 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

thestooges

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:56 pm

So I therfor assume that the 772's will definitely be repainted in Austrian colours as the above post states.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition !!

su184

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Maybe they'll switch to A340's, any info about that!

Phaeton

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:32 am

Those words remind me a bit of Ryanair who painted one of their planes to attack Lufthansa.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joan Martorell

Cheers!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

Greg

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:52 am

They cancelled the last 77..and are taking three 738's instead. I don't know delivery dates.

maxfly

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:05 am

don'tknow about the F/As but the aircraft are definitely not going to be repainted - although the flights to SYD/MEL will operate as OS 001 and OS 007 resp., they will still be flown by Lauda's 777s and the brand is not going to vanish in favor of OS - so, you won't see the ludicrous new OS livery for a long time in Australia...

Markus

keno

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:14 am

I don't have any sentimental feelings about Lauda brand, so I'm more than happy to see them flying to KUL/SYD/MEL under Austrian banner now. Most people I met haven't got a clue which country Lauda's from - at least Austrian is already a household name.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos