aircadet

Worst Turbulent Flight

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:29 pm

Worst flight I ever had was from USM - BKK on a PG AT7 no one spoke for the entire flight and the cabin crew didn't get off there jump seats. Captain came over the tanoy a few times just to say it was normal this time of year but didn't really help the situation. But I suppose the AT7 isn't exactly the ideal plane to be on in that situation.
tlaqna hi

Gasman

RE: Worst Turbulent Flight

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:46 pm

A UA 757 flight from LAX-DEN was mine. I was in the rearmost aisle, felt like riding Niagara falls in a barrell. Captain yelled at one point for the crew to take their seats, then put the aircraft into a fairly steep dive in an attempt to find smoother air. It worked (a bit)

IL76

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:27 pm

Any flight over Bengal Bay.
A friend recently had people hitting the roof (wear your seatbelt people!!!) on a SIA 747 and my personal experience on an AF 777 was overhead luggage bins falling open, crew immediately running for a seat and strapping in and silent/scared passengers all around (including myself).

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:35 pm

SAS B747 LAX-CPH in 1984. I was woken up by the buffeting. My hips kept hitting the armrests. Alternatively I would fly up only to be held back by the seatbelt, then be pushed down again. This went on for about 20 minutes. I shut my eyes, raised the volume on the headphones and crushed them against my ears. Didn't help. The plane kept bouncing about  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dukebluedevil

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:39 pm

This past Christmas, December 14th to be exact, BA6505 from BEY to AMM. The flight was an hour and a half long, we took off in lightening and landed in it, and I felt like we were going to lose it any second. Most of the passengers deplaned in BEY, so the flight to AMM was relatively empty, we each got our own rows on the A320. Most of us weren't strapped in. One of the flight attendants fell in the aisle and got her foot suck under one of the chairs. It was scene after scene...

mconway

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:40 pm

Landing in YYT in an Air Atlantic BAE146 back in 91 or 92. We had a very rough landing in YQX and the plane actually bounced off the runway and looking out the window I could actually see down it. On the YQX-YYT leg I took the jumpseat and strapped myself into the 5 point harness - tight. I was listening in on the ATIS and heard gusting to 65 kts. I remember watching the altimeter and it really started to shake at 3 or 4 thousand AGL. All the same being strapped in the jumpseat and being able to look forward, it didn't seem all that bad. When I went back to retrieve my baggage after landing, there were quite a few pale faces though.

slider

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:19 pm

From MQT-MSP on a Mesaba Fokker F27. Holy cow, I've never been so afraid in my entire life on an airplane, and that's something!

Don't know if it was result of some Lake Superior upper air flow or what, but that thing was tossed around like a rag doll, and no matter what altitude, we couldn't settle into any smoother tack.  Wow!

TransIsland

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:29 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

On a flight from MIA to NAS, the f/a made an announcement that due to heavy turbulence there would be no beverage service today. It was one of the smoothest flight in the history of aviation, not a bump in the air, not a sky in the cloud, and no work for the f/a. Man, that was a turbulent flight.  Yeah sure

[Edited 2004-03-03 14:44:29]
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

ozzie

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:34 pm

An America West CRJ from Columbus Ohio to Hartford Connecticut in 2001. We were coming into Hartford the day before Thanksgiving and it was about 11:30 at night. All of a sudden, the planed lurched and dropped FAR.

saslover

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:36 pm

In 1996 where I was flying from Copenhagen to New York when we was landing I New York there was turbulent and when we had landed I throwed up and that's my history of the worst turbulent I have enjoyed
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

Bruspotter

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:37 pm

In 1986 on a Northwest Orient 747 en route BOS-LGW. The wings were actually flapping like a birds' wings and their were lots of americans panicking and 'Oh my Gaaad' ing like they do. I was 14 at the time and on my own on the flight and I nearly did it in my pants.
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

northseatiger

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:41 pm

Coming in to land at ABZ in winter from NCL in a Jetstream 41, Bumpy to say the least !!
T's And P's look good....Rotate

EXMEMWIDGET

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:18 pm

My worst flight was back in 1991 on a FedEx flight from MEM to BOS. I was jump seating in the back of a DC-10 that was in a seemingly bad thunderstorm. In the back where I was seated, it was hot, there were no windows other than the little porthole in the door and I was facing backward. Needless to say, I was a little green faced after that flight.

djb77

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:35 pm

Flying to Belfast City last week from Manchester. Sunny day in Manchester, lots of snowy clouds over Northern Ireland and the Irish Sea. Boy, did we get thrown around. The plane was a Dash 8-300. Up down, up and around, up down, up and around all the way there.
My last other really turbulent flight was flying Palma to Newcastle a couple of years back - the plane was really diving into the turbulence as we went through a thunderstorm near Barcelona. We were in our seats for a good 45 mins as the plane was thrown around big time. We were seated on the very back row as well, which never helps. The plane certainly bounces more back there.

tomgib

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:35 pm

mine was on a LH A 340-300 from FRA - PHX. Somewhere over the rockies (Wyoming, Utah, Colorado or so) the plane was really going up and down and around... The captain ordered the F/A´s to close down service until the weather got better. The turbulence was due to severe jetstream tailwinds that got us going at close to 1200 km/h ground speed ! I had upgraded to business on that flight so I was sitting in front of the wing and could watch the engines get shaken around and the wing flex (and does it flex on the A 340´s !!!) The winds however got us in to PHX about 45 minutes ahead of time. You can see any way you want.... is it better to arrive early or to miss out on the business class drinks ??

B747FAN

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:57 pm

Greetings,

MCO to MAN on BA747. About two hours into flight we hit CAT. It lasted for only a few minutes, but the damage was severe. A flight attendant hit the roof, and split open her eyebrow. Another male attendant, broke his arm. And numerous passengers who had not worn seat belts had various minor to serious injuries. Our flight was supposed to continue on to LGW from MAN, but it did not. All passenger were bused to LGW from Manchester. I guess there was quite a lot of metal fatigue on the aircraft. Scary stuff....
) He turns not back who is bound to a star. - Leonardo Da Vinci.

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:04 am

although they might have had to do a check on the airframe, metal fatigue is not the big thing. Mostly the plane is a mess, and the check takes time. So that plane was probably flying again withing 12 hours.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

RareBear

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:15 am

Was on a National Airlines DC-8 many years ago, flying from LAX-TPA, when we hit some CAT over south Texas. The cabin crew was about 2/3 finished serving a good meal (this really dates this post) when all of a sudden the dinnerware and silver went flying, people were bouncing around, etc. The cabin was a mess, and when we finally got to TPA, the airline handed out vouchers to have our clothing cleaned. Luckily, no one was seriously injured. I'll bet it took quite a while to clean up the mess in the cabin.
Illegitimus non carborundum

nworlnsbearcub

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:23 am

A flight from AMS to DBV on a KLM DC-9.... I distinctly remember flying in directly from the Adriatic, and over the mountains, as we were landing. There was some crying going on as we bumped up and down and all around. I was practically going in my pants as well. Horrifying at the time...
And the weather was gorgeous!
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

Maersk737

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:35 am

In 1986 on a Sterling Airways DC-8-63 from RHO to BLL. The wings was going up and down, we almost didn't need the engines to fly.

The worst thing though, I lost my beer Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cheers

Peter
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

Delta07

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:53 am

Mine was a couple years ago on DL. We were going from SEA to CVG in a B737-832. This was around the 3rd of December about 2 years ago I think.

Anyway, everything was fine at first when we left SEA and a couple hours later as we approached CVG in the evening hours we were told that the winds were gusting up to about 30 kts with heavy snow falling. As we were on final approach for CVG airport the plane began rocking up and down, left and right and dipping/rising etc...everything BUT smooth. I thought I would be sick but was ok. I was at the window and when I looked out, it appeared as if the left wing was going to hit the runway because we were at such an angle.

The captain did a phenomenal job. He managed to correct the situation really quickly and we landed with no incident.

Another I just remember from just a few months ago...

We were on our way back from my sisters for Thanksgiving this past year and we were on on of US Airways DHC-8. We were coming from CHA to CLT. Once again, everything was just fine and smooth as you please starting out when we departed CHA but once we started making our initial descent into the CLT area. It really got bad. I was trying to catch my breath at first and not think about it while others were getting sick or praying for a safe landing. It was like a rollercoaster ride..once again- up/down, left/right. Believe it or not for some reason I actually enjoyed it once I got used to what was going on.

I've been on numerous flights over the years and felt all kinds of turbulence in all kinds of aircraft from the DHC-8 to the B767-432. I know what to expect when I get on a plane now but it's still not my idea of a good time if I had a choice ya know?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
NO URLS in signature

AsstChiefMark

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:39 am

Ten years ago I was on a CO 742 LGW-IAH. A few minutes out of Houston the plane dropped suddenly. The FA's hit the ceiling and something went crashing in the galley. The entire approach was a roller coaster.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

anxebla

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:03 am

....during a MIA-MAD (1995) in 20 minutes after take off.The fight was a IB's 747 full of pax.For me and for my friend was very funny.The 20/30 minutes more quiet inside a plane despite we was carrying over 400 pax.It was like a funeral,no like a journey by plane.Even though the plane is the most safe, many people are terrified to any wind.
Two hours later,i talked to captain and he said me storms are not rares over Bahamas.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

amhilde

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 am

1998 TWA coming in to STL on some sort of prop ( mustve been one of its feeders then) Thunderstorm in the area- i have never actually CLUNG to the seat in front of me the way i did on that flight!

Sometimes coming in here to RNO its heaps of fun, December 29th flight back in was rockin and rollin, but nothing like that one to STL!

You usually get plenty of turbulence crossing the Rockies, you always know where you are in the US when you hit em  Smile Somehow turbulence doesnt seem all that drastic when you are on a big 'Bus or boeing
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

ScottishLaddie

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:18 am

Back in summer '98 on a Canada 3000 B757 YYZ-GLA, we had turbulence for just about the whole of the flight from takeoff to until we were over Ireland, and during that time seatbelt sign was on all the time which meant no getting up, no toilet trip, no hot drinks. Luckily, it was a night flight(of course) so I managed to sleep throughh most of it!  Smile

wilco

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:01 am

Mine was UAL DEN-ABQ in a 737. Bumpy flight the whole way but the scary part was the landing. We touched down hard so we bounced back up probably 5-10ft and out of nowhere, as we were bouncing in for a landing: an extraordinarily strong crosswind hit us, left-to-right. I swear the right wing tip was inches from striking but the pilot powered up and went around. People screamed. We went around again the second time due to winds and finally made it the third try.
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

BA747400

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:44 pm

Hey, I have been rather lucky and haven't hit major turbulence on my flights. (knock on wood) Anyway, Does anyone remember that UA flight coming from HKG back about 10 years ago? I vaguely (SP?) remember seeing it on the news: People were hitting the ceiling and getting tossed around like dolls..A few injuries were reported.
Just wondering if anyone remembered that.

Regards,
Mike

andz

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:59 pm

You thinking of this one?

December 28, 1997
TOKYO (CNN) -- One woman was killed and at least 74 others were injured Sunday when a United Airlines 747 jet was struck by severe turbulence over the western Pacific Ocean.
United Flight 826, en route from Tokyo to Honolulu with 374 passengers and 19 crew members on board, was hit by turbulence some 925 miles (1,480 km) east of Tokyo.
The jet was about two hours into the flight, at an altitude of 33,000 feet (10,000 meters), when the turbulence occurred.
Flight attendants and passengers moving around the cabin were tossed about when the plane suddenly dropped. A passenger on board filmed the plunge with a video camera, capturing the screams of terrified passengers as people and debris filled the jet's aisles.
"This is clear air turbulence that occurs absent any weather conditions, so reports are that there really was no warning, which I think may have exacerbated the situation somewhat," Richard Martin, a spokesman for United, told CNN.
However, a warning light requiring passengers to be seated with their seat belts fastened was on at the time of the incident, according to officials from both the airline and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration.
The plane returned to Tokyo's Narita Airport and arrived at 2:20 a.m. Monday. At least 74 people were taken to hospitals. All but about 10 of the injured were treated and released. Uninjured passengers were taken to hotels.
A portion of the plane's ceiling was so seriously damaged that it had to be removed.

There's a passenger video of the plane at this site:

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9712/28/japan.turbulence.update/
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flyingnanook

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 pm

The worst turbulence I've ever experienced was in December 2002. I was flying on AS from ANC to LAX. Our plane was delayed due to mechanical problems. Those problems got fixed so we boarded, the plane pushed back, then stopped for like 15 minutes. The pilot told us that one of the three pressurization systems was broken and we would return to the gate to have it checked out. We pulled up to the gate, sat on the plane for twenty minutes, then the pilot said that we could fly with one system nonoperational. We just had to fly lower and add more fuel due to the fact that we had to fly at a lower altitude.

So anyways, we finally took off almost two hours late. The first half hour was smooth as glass and then we entered the worst storm that the west coast had seen in several years. Due to the pressurization problem, we had to fly in the middle of the clouds, not over them like we should. Also, due to the decreased range of the plane and large size of the storm system, we couldn't fly around it. So we flew in the middle of the storm for over 4 hours. The plane dropped and banked steeply. It was kinda fun except for the fact that I bruised the side of my head rather badly due to the fact that it hit the wall so many times. It was so bad that the flight attendants stayed seated except for a few minutes before landing to do the cabin check.

The amusing thing was watching people fall down (nobody was hurt) because they had to walk around the cabin right after the flight attendants made repeated announcements for everyone to stay in their seats.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

NeptunesCar

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:10 pm

onboard a KE MD11 passing over the Japan Alps.... all pax not wearing seatbelts were airborne (but didnt hit their heads on the ceiling) cabin crew couldnt reach their stations and clung onto pax seats for support as a/c dived and jolted and shuddered. It didnt last for more than a minute but it was a very sharp drop.

in the middle of it, a woman across the aisle from me reached over, grabbed my arm and asked me to pray with her!
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:20 pm

Turbulance rules! I love riding through them!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

QIguy24

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:33 pm

Airframe A/S
Turbulance rules! I love riding through them!

You are absolutly right! I think it feels soo good to bee thrown around in the seat beause of turbulence. And when there is a really bad turbulence, its good that pants was invented, because it wouldnt really enjoy having the nuts (balls) right in front the eyes...  Big thumbs up

LVZXV

Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:35 am

While all the entries do sound impressive, I challenge any of you to fly through a "Sudestada", those large storms that form over the River Plate and Buenos Aires province, which brought down an Austral BAC 1-11 back in 1981 and were partly responsible for the loss of the Austral DC-9 in 1997. When they are not quite as lethal, they make for some interesting flying. That said, metal fatigue is a serious consideration, since most Argentine airliners are based in a humid climate and have ridden these storms for as much as 30 years...
How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

cx340

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:11 am

Mine was on a Mexicana F100 flying MEX-MTY on August 2000. This is the middle of strom season in Mexico, and the flight had been bumpy all the way. The worst part was on descent to MTY as we had to cross a line of thunderstorms. Not nice, believe me. Everybody was screaming, a lady in front of me opened her head with the set in front of her after a sudden drop and bank to the left side. . .We made it in one piece, but after that I was really scared to fly for a while. Not anymore though.

StevenUhl777

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:31 am

DEN-ABQ
July 1991
UA 737-200

Turbulent the entire flight...just awful. Won't ever forget that flight...
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

APAOps5

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:34 am

Spring time TS in the SE US can create pretty large squall lines that you can't fly over or through. I was on a delayed NW 727 MEM-TPA, and apparently a gap opened up and we were cleared to go. Typically I do not mind turbulence, one I know 99.999% of the time I am safe, and two, it is entertaining to me to see how scared most people get from it. Howver the majority of this flight from just after t/o to just before landing was pretty severe. F/A's wre not allowed to get out of their seats except to retrieve the many used puke bags. It was quite a ride and I commend the captain's bravery or stupidity. The show outside was worth it though, lightning seemed to dance around in the clouds, and while the storm was angry it was in a weird way peaceful to watch it.

catnamedalex

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:42 am

Turbulence is what lets you know that you're FLYING!!
Otherwise you may as well be on a friggin BUS..the thing to do is reframe your panicky mental state into one of grooving on the phenomena of gliding thru the air in an invisible medium that is actaully the same as swimming in ater..but the air is a different form of the matter..It can be an interesting experience if you can focus on the bumps and the environment surrounding the airplane as a fish going thru water....Try it next time..

kilavoud

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:46 am

A part of my trip report including my worst ever turbulent flight :

GVA-FRA-MAA 03 OCT 2003

At 08:07 we are inside the clouds. It is beginning to bump, to hop, to jump, to shake, to rock : there is no more room for doubting that it will be a most bumpy flight. But I know by experience that on this route between the Alps and the Jura Mountains, when flying direction north-east, and at our not so high altitude, it may be bumpy for 20-25 minutes.

I have pulled my tray table down to write my trip report, but writing is not that easy in these rough conditions. The Captain does not make any announcement. He is sharing the same bumps as his passengers and being sole master on board under God he must clutch at his controls. A passenger is getting up from her seat and she is immediately invited to sit down again by an FA seating behind the plane ! As I am sitting in one of the last rows just near the shelf with LH timetables and writing paper, I get up, make a quick jump to the shelf, but as soon as I have some writing paper in the hands it is my turn to be invited to quick sit down again ! I obey, but let me tell you a secret, and please keep it under your hat : I love staggering along the aisle when it is very bumpy !

At 08:15 FAs are still fastened in their seats, nobody is speaking. I begin to have my first stomach cramp, from which only a sandwich could deliver me. At 08:20 I have the impression it is becoming calm. No, it was only an impression, but it should soon stop shaking us. At 08:25 still no service and suddenly a triple ringing. Still bumpy. One double ringing. The seatbelt sign is turned off now.

The rough sea is behind us, now we are out of the bumps !

It may be turbulent too over the Bay of Bengal. But what can we do against the forces of nature ? Remain fastened and humble. And enjoy it, why not ?

Cheers. Kilavoud.

komododx

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:47 am

The worst turbulence I have been on was an AA 763 ORD-MXP. Going over the Atlantic, I was fast asleep, when I suddenly I woke up to notice the A/C was not only jumping up and down but moving sideways, while everyone was being tossed around.

Another bad experience was aboard a Meridiana Bae146 from Firenze Peretola to Milan Malpensa. During the very short flight we experienced heavy winds, not to mention on landing, when the cockpit door flew open and everyone noticed how the A/C was flying at a great angle compared to that of the runway.

KdX in TLH  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I'm homeless and unemployed

BDRules

Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:18 am

Mine was on FI 752 between KEF and BOS in November last year. There was no inflight service and i can remember leaving my seat a few times even while wearing my seatbelt. Very cool but the 3 Americans didnt think so that were sat infront of me. It was worst when we were flying over Greenland

ckfred

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:39 pm

UA 737-200 flying from ORD to ATL on July 19, 1996. For whatever reason, the pilots flew into a thunderstorm. I have never been bounced around so much in a plane. I was concerned that we would be struck by lightning. The bad part was that the PA system from the cockpit kept cutting out, so I couldn't understand much of what the Captain was saying.

I noticed that both the Captain and the F/O stayed in the cockpit while the passengers deplaned. I guess neither one was in the mood for listening to passenger comments.

AirframeAS

Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:09 pm

QIguy24: You are now on my respected user list  Big thumbs up Glad you agree with me on that one!

When I flew on HP flt 680 on March 2, 2004 SEA-PHX, there as turbulance throughout the flight. It was pretty cool. Had fun being bumped around a little. hehe

A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

FullThrottle

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:40 am

Well, today way pretty bad. First it was smooth then light chop then light turbulence then Moderate turbulence for a while. It wasn't that bad but it was enough to make me feel like I wanted to land. I had to hold 25 degrees of out nose to keep the localizer in the center. It was some strange weather.

C17Glbm

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:15 am

Last september, shortly after Hurricane Isabell hit I flew from Rhein/Main (FRA) to CHS. Talk about a joyous ride!  Big thumbs up

hugojimenez

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:26 am

During my first flight ever, from SJO to MIA, onboard Lacsa's Bac 1-11 "El Tico" (you can see a picture of the a/c at airliners.net) in 1968, yes... 1968, the a/c suddenly fall quite a lot feets over the Gulf of Mexico and one gentleman (Ricardo Castro Beeche, General Manager of La Nacion, major newspaper in Costa Rica), hit the overhead compartment (no bins by that time), and then other two passangers. Unfortunatelly, he instantly died, and the other two were badly injured. Of course I was scared to death (I was 7 years old by that time) and refused to fly for ten years.

uadc8contrail

Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:07 pm

to make myself politically correct and to make kroc happy........any flt from den-cos and vice versa......most/all the traffic from cos-den den-cos gets to 12000 all the waves that come across the front range from the rockies make the flts real bumpy....my 2 new centavos...........
bus driver.......move that bus:)

fuffla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:42 pm

I have had two experiences with really bad turbulence.
**1:TG 744- BKK-SYD (January 2003), the whole flight was very shakey but just before touching down in SYD(runway 25), a really strong crosswind pushed the plane to the left and the left wing almost hit the ground. The pilot thankfully had good reflexes and corrected it, landing the plane safetly.
**2: TG BKK- Phuket (October 2001), it was raining really heavily and the wid was strong, I don't mind turbulence, but everybody was screaming, people were grabbing each other's hands really tight, girls digging their nails into your wrists(ouch!!!).

The only thing that is bad about turbulence is when you are in the toilet, a sudden bump occurs, and, well I do not need to explain the rest. You hit the walls, you just need to be prepared for anything in there.

Aerosvit

Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:46 pm

WAW - ORD over the North Atlantic. Than later on we hit some pretty bad bumps over Canada. The plane swayed from side to side violently and up and down. There were like little cries of "oy" or "wow" from across the cabin. You could also hear like the engines struggling to maintain speed and altitude. Pretty bad. Even I closed my eyes. Those 767s take one hell of beating.
Clava Ykraini