latinaviation

BBC "Airport" Series

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:43 am

Before the flaming, I checked the archives and came to no avail on my question...

Does the TV series "Airport" have its own website or program overview on BBC's website? The information on "Discovery Wings" site, who airs the series in the US, leaves much to be desired with little information on the actual series.

Also, in archived posts, someone mentioned a series on Accra's airport. Does anyone have more information on this?

IMO, this is an excellent series and blows the US-styled version, Airline, away.

Demoose

RE: BBC "Airport" Series

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:55 am

No it doesn't. It used to have one - www.bbc.co.uk/airport - but it just directs you to the BBCi homepage now. I prefer "Airport" to the "Airline" series - which focuses on easyJet here in the UK.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

jmy007

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:56 am

I love the BBC "Airport" series. I agree, it runs circles around A&E "Airline", which I find always has the same story,(well the episodes I've seen) drunk passengers denied boarding, missed connections, and screwed up baggage, Plus, though I love seeing planes, every 2 minutes its seems they are cutting to those shots of a 737 landing, and they play that awful music.

"Airport" is more comprehensive look at day to day operations of an airport, from customs officers not letting people in the country, to airline catering, to following pilots on there routines, to paramedics doing their rounds, and airport police hauling off an F/A for immigration violations! Plus you get to see shots off all sort of planes at LHR!

Didn't PBS show "Airport" for a while?

[Edited 2004-03-03 17:57:23]
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

Jaspike

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:59 am

As Demoose said, Airport used to have a website. However, it will probably be back online in a couple of months when the new series starts  Big thumbs up

Josh

awschucksflyer

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:02 am

Airport now revolves aroudn Easyjet? That is a bit of a change since I last saw Airport. The shows airs on Discovery Wings in Canada but the seasons are usually a few behind where they still feature different airlines etc.
But, I agree, Airport is VASTLY superior to Airline. That show sucks!

latinaviation

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:04 am

I agree, it runs circles around A&E "Airline", which I find always has the same story,(well the episodes I've seen) drunk passengers denied boarding, missed connections, and screwed up baggage,

I couldn't agree more. I cringe when I watch "Airline" - it has to be the worst exercise in foreign relations and publicity of Americans.

Demoose

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:07 am

Awschucksflyer, sorry if i caused any confusion - Airport focuses on LHR, whereas Airline UK focuses on easyJet.

Anyone know when the new series of Airport starts? I presume it'll be in the Autumn again like all the rest.

Mark

Jaspike

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 am

Early/mid 2004  Big thumbs up

Josh

trekster

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:20 am

Do u remember the Qantas duty manager, cant recall his name.

Well, after watching the tv show, we were going to Australia and hoping to see him on duty,and guess what, he was there, but no TV Crew (damm)

Great bloke in real life, and works for a great airline
Where does the time go???

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:22 am

If you are in the UK and have cable, Airport runs every day at 2030 on UK Horizons.

Airport also did a few spinoffs:
- Lagos Airport. Loved this one.
- Hollywood's Airport (LAX).
- Miami Airport.

These were with the same crew and often same commentators.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

A3204eva

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:23 am

I love 'Airport', I tried to visit the wesite to see if I could buy the all the Series on DVD, but I couldn't get it - So I taped them all.

There is going to be a new series soon.
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

mhodgson

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:24 am

I saw Jeremy Spake in T3 once  Smile

Incidentally does he still work for Aeroflot or did he quit to form a celebrity career - He currently advertises electronics shops!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Demoose

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:25 am

Personally I thought Maria was very good to watch. Unfortunately she wasn't at the Cyprus Airways ticket desk when I was there last year!

Just to add a bit about Jeremy, I don't think he works at the airport anymore, instead making the most of his celebrity status. That electronics advert he does is quite funny when he's in his lounge with a model of a JMC A330 hangin from the ceiling!

Mark

[Edited 2004-03-03 18:27:42]

LHR340

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:26 am

Trekster, I think his name is John(?) I saw him in T2 once, It was really strange seeing him there but kinda cool when I realized who he was and where I had seen him before.

I can't wait for Airport to start again, as Airline drives me nuts!

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:30 am

Yes Maria is hot, but the ElAl lady with the BIG HAIR always made me laugh out loud.

A3204eva

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:32 am

His name is John Cull. When I went to LHR I tried to find someone from 'Airport' but I couldn't.

Demoose

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:35 am

Haha, that ELAL woman has to be one of my favourite people in the show, i'd love to see what she's like these days. When I was in high school me and my mate would laugh about it in our French class because our teacher was the exact double of her, the hair, the voice, the attitude, everything! What was her name, I know her colleague that she always bossed around was called Peter, I felt sorry for him at times!

Edit: Was she called Sara or something like that?

Mark

[Edited 2004-03-03 18:36:46]

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:35 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned my hero from the series:

Shaker Mayo, the Gulf Air customer service manager. Always smiling and happy, in spite of all the crap he puts up with all day long.

A3204eva

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:39 am

Starlionblue,

Airport also did a spin-off at Prestwick or Glasgow airport.

I liked Shaker, he was always rubbing his worry beads.

[Edited 2004-03-03 18:42:06]

trekster

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:43 am

it was glasgow airport i think

Im looking forward to the new series.

Airline was on on monday night, but it was a episode ihad already seen.

When im watching that show i always end up shouting at the people on there to shut up and face they aint gettin on that plane casue they are late.

AHHHHH SHUT UP U STUPID PEOPLE, U ARE LATE, FACE IT
Where does the time go???

CPH-R

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:43 am

One of my high school teachers were just like Shaker - I mean, you could do almost anything to him, yet he would still smile and remain calm.

Except once, where a guy from my class (disliked by most, if not all), decided to be very late for a bus - which almost left us stranded on an island. He was then threatened to be put on the next flight out of Australia (we were on a 5 month study trip back then) Big grin

JGPH1A

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:50 am

They are rerunning the Easyjet version of "Airline" on Planete in France, its amazing how every episode some nana misses check in by 1 minute and screams the place down when told they have to take a later plane - "But the plane hasn't left", "I missed the train", "Your clock is fast" - shame, one poor woman lost it completely and nearly had a breakdown, because she'd miss an appointment in Barcelona.

Pax - always good for a larf.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jmc757

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:42 am

Airport is really good, looking forward to its return! Think we've done quite well in the UK for these kind of shows:

BBC:
Airport
Airport USA
Airport Glasgow

ITV
Airline (Series1 - Britannia)
Airline (All other - easyJet)
Holiday Airline - Monarch
Holiday Airport - Arrecife, also one on Palma

Then the Lagos Airport. I may be going mad, but I am sure this was a one off series Channel 4 did?? Maybe I'm wrong and it was BBC?

alcregular

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:42 am

Did ITV show the complete series of Airline - Monarch? I remember ITV had just started showing it when 9/11 occurred and pulled the plug on it. When did Airport do Glasgow, I missed that, damn. I love it when Horizons have Airport weekend, nothing but the show for 2 solid days. Even you've seen then time and time again, it doesn't get boring. I remember Horizons showing Lagos, but haven't seen it on terrestrial. What was the show on C5 called? I think it was LAX or somewhere like that.
Why drive when you can fly?

FlyCaledonian

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:43 am

Think I prefer Airport to Airline because it doesn't get too personal, i.e. I don't really want to see the easyJet staff party, marriage proposals etc. Guess "Human Interest" stories sell though. Airport seems to take a step back though and focus on the airport and operations as a whole. Plus, no matter what is going on you have John Nettles calmly giving the voice over, whether it's a head of state arriving at the royal suite, the press guys chasing someone or an endangered animal in a shoebox! Hope it is back on soon.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

ltbewr

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:54 am

Is or has the UK/BBC "Airport" series been shown on US TV other than the Discovery Wings channel? While I have a wide range of channels available to me via cable, I don't get that channel. It may be available on other cable systems, or on digital cable or dishes. Why couldn't the regular Discovery channel show a lot more of these series, like on a Saturday afternoon instead of replaying other series have seen several times before. Maybe A&E could do a deal of showing the BBC series when their current Airline ends it run. Maybe they could do this over the summer.

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:55 am

On the local ITV (HTV)... they did a show on Cardiff Airport.. was real funny..!

Anyways..

Regards,

Milo

canoecarrier

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:14 am

I did a search on Amazon.com and the BBC homepage, I guess you can't buy any of those series on video or DVD, or at least you can't thru those companies. Too bad, I've been a vocal fan of the BBC Airport series since I caught a 24 hour run of season 5 on Discovery Wings last year.

Although I don't usually like the "drunk passenger" shows, the episode where 50 + Irish football fans flew on Cyprus was really funny. Maria is great. Who was the police officer that used to be a flight attendant? She was really cute, I think I only saw her on a couple episodes.

I agree that it is far more interesting to see the airport from many different perspectives.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

jmy007

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:19 am

I think PBS in Colorado played BBC's"Airport" about a year ago or so. They only played a few episodes, I beleive it was for a pledge drive.
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:41 am

i didn't really enjoy airport that much.

i would have enjoyed it if they had shown interesting planes taking off and landing, and told me where they where going to for 1/2 an hour.i think i am on my own with that preference though

i did see an "airport" in Miami which was good. the cops were attempting to hi-jack a cocaine drop off. it was like that film "jackie brown"

mhodgson

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:46 am

The Scottish "airport" was Edinburgh - as they made the Airport an extra 'venue' for the fringe festival.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:11 am

'Airport' was great, specially the first episodes in the series, it got worser with the Animal reception centre stuff, who the f**k wants to see Iguana lizards from Venezuela? More airside action please!
In Arsene we trust!!

767er

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:17 am

We had both 'Airport' and 'Airline' here on Oz. I preferred 'Airport' by far and away though that snotty sheila, Sarah, who ran the VIP lounge was very irritating. Loved the El AL women..she was very very funny.

Jane Bolton from Easyjet was great though some of the Essex girls were blah!!!!!!! Leo is cute!!!!
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

FlyCaledonian

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:50 am

One thing I've just recalled from one of the early Airports concerned an RAF flight out of LHR carrying Tony Blair. When the aircraft (A VC10!) came into Heathrow empty its callsign was "Kitty". Leaving with the PM on board it became "KittyHawk". Wonder if that still applies today with the BA charters, though guess they'd just have a BA charter callsign, e.g. Speedbird 9xxx.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

canuckpaxguy

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:24 am

Thanks for the update...I too have been trying to find ways to purchase BBCs Airport for some time. I didn't realize the series continues today. I'm sure someone will post a message if, and when, the series become available for sale.

"Airline" isn't so bad...Watching Yolanda makes up for having to watch all the trailer-park trash folks.

G

BA747400

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:31 pm

Oh how I do love that show! Every Tuesday night at 8, Discovery Wings: LHR! It reminds me being back in England. I love LHR, its crowded, sometimes messy, crazy, frustrating, and fun as hell! 747's all day long and a touch of British, along with hundreds of other cultures, hospitality in a big mix that makes up the world renowned LHR.

I think I will go pop a tape in right now and watch Maria satisfy a Cyprus airways PAX on a re-run. (What has my life come to)

Regards,
Mike

dmerinop

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:10 pm

Airport, what a great TV serie.
I used to watch "Airport" here in Spain on a channel called "Viajar", does any of you or any spanish folk know if this series are shown in any channel here in Spain??? I have cable TV so I have nearly every channel available but I can´t find Airport in any channel, any help?

Dani

caravelle

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:36 pm

Airport was great! It was shown on satellite channel TV Norge, and now they've made their own series (now showing), very much based on the British concept, from OSL.

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

funny

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:57 pm

I went to heathrow from madrid once and while i was waiting to pick up my baggage i saw the duty manager of ELAL. I dont know his name but i talked to him. He was really nice and wondered what i was doing watching Airport down in Madrid haha.

BigMac

Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:30 am

My view on Airport is that it isn't all that great. I haven't seen any new "Airport" series on the Discovery Wings channel lately. Also the last few "new" episodes I've seen were very boring. Illegal immigrants, car thieves, fire alarm in building, car accidents, denied entry in UK, animal care. BORING!!! BORING!!! BORING!!!
What has stuck in my head was the episode where the Qantas Duty Manager gave a tour of a Qantas 747.
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

dazultra

Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:38 am

who the f**k wants to see Iguana lizards from Venezuela? More airside action please!

haha, agreed!  Big thumbs up

Daz.

A3204eva

Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:52 am

Mhodgson, that's the one (Edinburgh airport). I taped that one-good episode.

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:21 am

Come on. The animal parts rock. Those guys are cool, especially when they have to chase cats around the ramp.

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:53 am

The animal part make the show more interesting, agreed. But on some episodes half the show was about cows and insects. I remember one episode where they were desperately trying to pull a cow out of a wooden box.
In Arsene we trust!!

legacyins

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:28 am

I also liked "Airport" when I lived in the UK. Recently, I tried looking it up on Discovery Wings on Tuesday nights but could not find it. Is Discovery Wings an independent channel or is it affiliated with A&E or another channel?

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:08 pm

Discovery Wings is affiliated with the Discovery Channel, like:

Discovery Civilization
Discovery Sci-Trek
Animal Planet
Discovery Health
Discovery Home & Leisure
Discovery Kids
Discovery Travel & Adventure

Discovery Channel UK home: http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/_home/

Discovery Wings home: http://discoverywings.co.uk/_listings/index.shtml?channel_code=DWIN&language_code=ENG

There is also a US division

mhodgson

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:59 am

In the UK, Airport is on UK Horizons every weeknight at 8:30pm, repeated at 9:30 on UK Horizons +1. Not sure of the weekend timings

A3204eva

Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:13 am

There is an 'Airport' weekend, Saturday 7th Feb on UK Horizons.

mhodgson

Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:02 am

7th FEB??? I hope you mean March!

SpeedbirdHeavy

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:11 pm

The Qantas Duty Manager is John Cull. He has his own UK TV/Radio website.

http://www.waveguide.co.uk/
China Airlines...Come fry with us!