milemaster

*Ding* Seatbelt Sign Is Off..Hurry Up And Wait!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:11 am

Ok...

The plane pull up to the gate..

*DING* The seatbelt sign turns off.. You then hear the sounds of 100+ seatbelts clicking as passengers remove them.

People then proceed to stand for up to ten minutes hunched over underneath the overhead bins as if this will speed up the deplaning process.

You could be in the back row of a 747 and everyone will stand up so fast that their heads nearly smash through the door where the oxygen masks fall out. You'd think people would figure out that the line moves only at the speed as people start walking one in front of another.. like traffic on a highway.

It's the back of the plane.. If I'm in a window seat I get the joy of a passengers ass in my face as I sit there waiting for the line to move...sometimes it can take 15 minutes. Thank you for the ass.. it was great.

My solution:

When the plane pulls up to the gate and the seatbelt sign is turned off, a solid steel spike drops down from the ceiling above every passengers seat. If you jump up like your seat is on fire and feel the need to present your ass to the passenger next to you, it's spike-in-the-brain time.

Are you one of these people? If you are.. explain why it's necessary to stand until it's your turn for your row to move.

[Edited 2004-03-04 00:17:13]

LHR340

RE: *Ding* Seatbelt Sign Is Off..Hurry Up And Wait!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:18 am

I agree, it annoys me when people shoot up to get off the plane as quickly as possible, when you still have an extra 5-10mins waiting for the jetty to attach. I usually just sit there until I see people moving then I'll get up, but otherwise I don't see the point. You're on an aircraft, enjoy it!

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

wilco

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:18 am

Because if I wait for my row's turn then I will get cutoff by the rows behind me as I fumble with my bag. Also, sometime my bag is behind me a few rows... if I don't jump up now, I will be impossibly swimming upstream. Its like a traffic jam. If you're not aggressive and tailgate people will cut you off.

What we need is metering lights on each seatback.

Now that I have said all that.... I too sit and wait for the aisle to clear out. I somehow enjoy relaxing as I watch people panic to stand up- as if they might somehow be forgotten and locked onboard... Next Stop: Baghdad!

[Edited 2004-03-04 00:20:32]
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

Leon8828

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:20 am

Milemaster:

I am with you brother. I don't even budge when I hear the ding. I'd rather be in my seat playing Scrabble on my Palm pilot rather than squeezed into some slob, while standing in the aisle, dreaming of getting off the plane.

I have yet to figure this out.

apollo13

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:25 am

I remember one time when I was flying to burbank. The plane didnt even touch the ground and the flight attendants were seted and these two passenger get up as if the plane already reached the gate!! Oh man when those reversers came on man they were thrown forward and then back into their seats. The whole damn plane was laughing at them!!

nycfuturepilot

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:31 am

I'll admit, I do occaisionally do this if I'm anxious or excited about my trip but when I go away on business or am coming home i dont move.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

KLM777

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:34 am

I'm with you too! I never understood why everybody wants to get out of the airplane ASAP, while more often than not you have to wait a long time in the terminal for your bags.

What I too never understand is why as soon as the seatbelt sign turns off after take-off everybody needs to release their seatbelt (and most of them also start grabbing their bags). I always just loosen it some bit to comfort-mode. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just wondering.

Kind regards,

Jeroen
Every landing is a controlled crash

jmy007

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:34 am

De-plane by rows and sections, like in the boarding process  Laugh out loud
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

N808DE

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:36 am

Some people may not want to sit any longer than they have to...4+ hours on a plane is enough and people want to get up and go.

Also, if you sit there you allow everyone else to move up and out before you.

Maybe people have connections they need to make...maybe they just don't wanna sit there any longer than they have to...maybe they just want to show their asses. Who knows!?

Some asses, though, are a pleasure to look at!

nudelhirsch

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:36 am

De-Boarding is done in three different groups!

Two of these a running like hell to get out.
Group one, member of these two, is the group of smokers, who "leave carry-on behind" to get their smoke

Group two, another member of the runners gang, the business-men, running to start the cell and report the first results to someone who doesn't care...but the first report, the sooner you report ffrom an aircraft, that's how career's are made...

Group 3, relaxed, laid back, but first at the baggage claim, are the normals, who just walk out and go to the claim...

It's always amazing to watch humans in groups...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

FLYtoEGCC

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:39 am

Most flights I've been on board by seat row number, or blocks of numbers (the exception being Ryanair where the boarding process is a free-for-all.) If this is the case, why can they not disembark by seat-row number as well? It would be much more orderly and more efficient. It pi$$es me off when some fat heffer from the back of the plane barges to the front in a rush to get off first, and ends up blocking the aisle for about three rows' worth of passengers who should be able to get off before him as they're nearer to the door.

Two bad examples I've seen/heard of are:
1) On an Airtours flight, MAN-REU, after landing at REU one bloke stood up and started unloading his overhead bin immediately after we exited the runway. What a complete idiot. Needless to say, a member of cabin crew was on the spot immediately.

2) My Aunt went to China a few years ago and flew on a Yak-42 on an internal flight. Most of the passengers on board were standing up and queueing to get off while the aircraft was on final approach.

When I'm travelling alone, I don't rush to get off the plane, yet I always manage to get the prime spot on the baggage carousel (i.e. where the bags emerge).

[Edited 2004-03-04 00:41:37]
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

FlyCaledonian

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:40 am

Yes that *Ding* goes and it's like a starters gun to get to the baggage reclaim (What's the hurry - your bag isn't racing to get out the hold first).

I remember a couple of years ago being on a flight and as soon as we'd landed the seatbelts started going. Quick as a flash one of the F/As was on the tannoy saying that the seatbelt sign had not been turned off and nobdoy better dare stand up. Was funny seeing everyone looking sheepish while at the same time looking round for somebody to stand up!

But it can work the other way. On a recent SFO-EWR flight with CO there were only 60 people on the 737-800. I'd sat at the back to get a row to myself and was waiting for everyone to deplane ahead of me. While doing so one of the F/As says to his collegegues that for 60 people we're taking a long time to get off!
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Sabena332

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:40 am

I also notice the following situation very often:

The flight attendant makes an announcement during the approach: "Ladies and Gentelman, we are approaching the airport of Dusseldorf, please fasten your seatbelts, switch off all electronic equipment and make sure that your seat is in an upright position, please stay belted until the seat belt sign is switched off".

On 99% of my flights, most of the passengers open their seatbelt as soon as the plane left the runway, than they stand up to open the overhead bins to collect their luggage.

I always wish that the pilot would make a full break application, I am sure that many of them will stay belted on their next flights until the plane reach the final parking position.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FLAIRPORT

Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:42 am

Ok...this annoys me, unless its at a hub. I like to stay on board with the 3 other passengers who wait to get up! I'd rather sit than stand up for 10 mins waiting.

However, at a hub....connecting passengers have the right (I think) to get up and run off.

I don't like people who, at connecting airports, get up...ready to go to the hotel 5 miles from the airport...stick their fat butts in the asile...and make a connecting passenger miss their connection. That is annoying!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

cmckeithen

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:09 am

Does it matter. If they want to stand up and swarm the aisle let them.

FLYtoEGCC

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:26 am

Yes it does matter. It creates a feeling of claustrophobia for passengers still seated, particularly in the aisle seats. Have you ever sat waiting for the queue to move with some fool's rucksack repeatedly whacking you in the side of the head? It's just inconsiderate and selfish behaviour and it's unnecessary.

cmckeithen

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:36 am

Then don't fly if it is that much of a nuisance.

ANX4fishing

RE: *Ding* Seatbelt Sign Is Off..Hurry Up And Wait

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:54 am

People just want to get out of the plane. After sitting in a window seat for 4+ hours, I race out of that seat as soon a the little *ding* tells me it's ok. I also help other people take down their carry-ons, etc. If I win 3 seconds on that, woohoo!

ANX

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:54 am

As I fly as a non-rev 99% of the time, my bags are hardly ever within 4 rows of where I'm sitting, so I let the other people in my row out, then I cross the aisle and wait until the plane is empty enough to run and grab my bag.

It is kinda funny to watch all the people scramble to get off first though. I use that time to collect my belongings from the seat-back pocket and get the in-flight magazine.

cancidas

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:57 am

what can you say, people are stupid..
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

milemaster

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:01 am

Does it matter. If they want to stand up and swarm the aisle let them.

Well, It probably matters more than discussing MSY in every single thread I suppose.

I put together a graphic displaying the spike system that should be taken into consideration:

FLYtoEGCC

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:02 am

Cmckeithen
"Then don't fly if it is that much of a nuisance."

What a pathetic post.

The reasons I fly are 1) because I love flying and 2) because it's necessary to get to destinations to which transport by road or rail is impossible/inconvenient. Sure I can put up with people bunching in the aisles, It is still irritating, it's a nuisance, it's uncomfortable and it's unnecessary. It is not a reason to 'not fly'.

EDIT: Milemaster, not that I'm condoning barbaric practices here to get people to stay in their seats, but... excellent  Big thumbs up

[Edited 2004-03-04 02:04:11]

CRFLY

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:22 am

Here's one more to the list...

After a hard landing the FA said: "Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Dallas/Ft.Worth... As we are an arrogant and lousy Airline, we arrived late again... Now, you have 30 minutes or less to make your connection through our inefficient three "horse-shoe" shape terminals... Passengers staying in Dallas please give priority to the connections guys to disembark as they are in a hurry"... Later the Pilot "Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated until the seat belt sign has been turned off... Flight attendants prepare for arrival"... The plane stops and everybody jump out of their seats pushing each other trying to get to the exit... Then I wondered: DAMN, ISN'T ANYBODY STAYING IN DALLAS???
With Age comes Wisdom...

ssides

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:35 am

CRFLY --

You're too bitter about one of the greatest airlines flying today. I see where you're coming from, but remember that AA didn't design those terminals.

On the topic in general, I've heard that Russia is the worst country for this occurrence. On Aeroflot, apparently everyone stands up as soon as the plane hits the ground to get their shit from the bins. It's a big pain, from what I understand.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Qantasflyer

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:48 am

Great graphic Milemaster, LOL! I really love the idea.

I remember this one time on a trip with Olympic Airways to Athens, before the plane even landed 50% of the passengers had already grabbed their bags and started queuing for the doors to open - seriously! I have noticed that this happens quite a lot in Europe in particular I don't know why that is. I just sit wait and enjoy the time I have got left on board!

Cant wait for my next flight!
Qantasflyer That's the spirit. The Spirit of Australia!

ZASpringboks

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:54 am

I agree with the majority. Last week I did just the opposite.....on accident! While everyone was standing up in the aisle trying to rush off the airplane, I continued to rest my head on the armrest of the CRJ. The only problem is I fell asleep and no one bothered to come tell me to get off the airplane. No one checked on me! I woke up and a new crew was onboard.

7574EVER

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:21 am

Hey wait a second...I thought we weren't allowed to form groups in the aisles anymore.  Laugh out loud
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:47 pm

The best was the old regional set-up in DTW. It was always great to pull into the spot out on the ramp and shut-down on the Saab's to have people rush the door from the back. Too bad it was completely pointless since everyone got on the bus and the it didn't leave until everyone was off the plane and onboard. I never understood how these people thought it was going to get them there faster when we all arrived at the terminal at the same time.

QIguy24

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:02 pm

I totally agree with most of u guys. It is really annoying with those people who can't wait.
I also fly non-rev most of the time, so I often sit back and wait until the others have left the plane. And then I get a little chat with the crew. Its always a pleasure in my opinion.  Big thumbs up

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:04 pm

I remember one time when I was flying to burbank. The plane didnt even touch the ground and the flight attendants were seted and these two passenger get up as if the plane already reached the gate!! Oh man when those reversers came on man they were thrown forward and then back into their seats. The whole damn plane was laughing at them!!

Must be on WN. Thats my guess

Once that *ding* goes off and the jetway attached to the a/c, then its like hauling cattle off the aircraft. This is funny.

A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Skydrol

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:16 pm

Since I almost always request an aisle seat at the back of the aircraft, I expect to have a long wait to leave. I always remain seated until the folks standing in the aisle beside me start moving toward the front of the aircraft before I stand up. The most amusing part of this is how huffy the pax who were seated in the window or middle seat beside me become when they stand up instantly upon arrival at the gate and are in a panic to get into the aisle and go nowhere, while I sit calmly (until it is actually possible to exit) and thereby infuriate them.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:12 pm

Sabena332 said:
I always wish that the pilot would make a full break application, I am sure that many of them will stay belted on their next flights until the plane reach the final parking position.

So do I, but it's about then that my wife reminds me that the airline wants the morons back as customers too. Sad but true.

What amazes me more than the sheep trying to get off is those who unfasten their seat belt before the sign, then remain seated! Are we saving time now? Does it take you more than half a second?

As many on this post, I am of the "sit down and chill" school. I have my book and that's that. There is no time to be gained by standing up because unlike some passengers I do not have to repack my bag to deplane. It's just grab and go. And if I have a connection, an extra 2-3 minutes won't change a thing.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tanyaluvs2fly

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:27 pm

Its one thing to be in a hurry to get a connection... but when you act like you are in such a hurry and then to be found just taking your time doing nothing but store shopping thats annoying...

I was on a flight from SRQ-ATL-PWM in Jan, and there was this lady all pissy cause she was in the back of the place and wanted off... she would stand right ontop of you and sigh "god hurry up already i am late for my damn connection" and me being in the last row and having a 3 hr connection i watched her, 10 min later when i get to the other terminal i see her just reading a magazine. Comes to find out she was on the same connection i was! LOL
Live, Laugh, Love!

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:36 pm

For people pushing to get past (on a plane or otherwise) my philosophy is always the same: I don't budge. If, on the other hand, they politely say "excuse me" I will move out of the way fast. In an aisle, of course, this will entail looking at the person with a smile and not moving.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mexitli

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:31 pm

The only people I can understand wanting to leave fast are those who are catching connections, especially when the flight is late. Believe me, I have been in that situation with my family and you can't help but try to get out ASAP.

I think the airlines (other than WN of course) should seat people who are connecting near the front and the people who are not connecting in the back. It would not be hard to do since they know where everybody is going.

I expect royalties for that idea, please. Big grin  Big thumbs up

fdxgirl

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:51 pm

i dont understand why everyone is in such a rush all the time. those are the people that say life goes by so fast. people should just relax and and enjoy the moment.

ozzie

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:55 pm

I hate it especially when people from the back find it nessicary to shove their way up to the front of the plane, and squeeze in between standing people.

Ozzie in PHX

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:37 am

this is a good reason to have a window seat. Keep reading that book and stretch out over the unoccupied centre seat for a couple of minutes. Lovely!

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:50 am

I must confess something.
When an aircraft lands at DUB on RWY28 and is bound for Terminal B, there sometimes is an a/c on pushback and thus the inbound a/c is instructed to hold short of the main apron :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

The Fokker 100 in the above pic.
When that happens when I'm onboard, I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach for the overhead bin...and get a good laugh of the 100+ pax rushing to do same while the FA's try to shove everyone back in their seats.
Great fun Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

nicedream

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:09 am

Once I was flying VS LHR-EWR. After we landed the pilot made an announcement that went something like this:

"Ladies and gentlement, we are short staffed on cabin crew so we would appreciate any help we can get in cleaning up the plane. If you would like to participate, please make youself known by standing up before the plane comes to a complete stop. Thank you."

DutchFlyer

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:12 am

And the funny part of it is when being slow de-boarding ..........you'll meet all those in a hurry at the baggage claim  Smile

boeingflying31

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:27 am

I think it's because everyone is just sick of sitting there(sometimes for long periods of time) and they just wanna get off. Just my 2 cents.
-Bf31

WorldAV8R

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:32 am

This is the dilemma of dilemmas!

I guess that it really depends on the flight for me. If I am connecting, and if the plane is already delayed, I will be the first to pop up and head for my overhead bag (as I rarely check luggage). If I am arriving at my final destination, I will usually just sit back and relax. Wait until the majority of the hurriers have left, and I calmly collect my things. It depends on the flight, really.

As with any seasoned traveler, you learn how to take advantage of the system. If priority boarding is not an option and you don't get the run of all the overheads anyway, at least choose one that is FORWARD to your seat row. That way when de-planing you can just retrieve your bag as you walk up the aisle. This avoids swimming upstream or standing in the aisle directly adjacent to your row trying to gather your things.

Of course...at least with most aircraft, if you sit in the aisle you should be able to stand up fully without resting your head on the overhead.
Next Trip: STL-ORD-LHR-ATH-JMK

milemaster

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:43 pm

The whole stupidness of it all is that everyone goes out the same front door on the left.. anyone can see from the back of the bus that it's going to take awhile until their row is going to move.

It's some sort of human nature I guess.

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm

You mean sheep nature. I often can't resist emitting a loud "Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a".

FlyingColours

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:12 am

Sabena332 said:

I think this is a brilliant Idea, I might try that some day. I had this idea that I would make a P/A and tell them that for every person standing up I will delay our arrival to the gate by a minute. That should fix them.

Nicedream - Did that VS one work?

Sometimes on charters over here we have not even vacated the runway and some morons start moving along the isles. Funny though, It has not happened these last few flights....

What I can't grasp is that if something happens, they are stood up and if the aircraft is shook violently (Say it is hit by something or brakes hard) they are going to get hurled across the cabin and would be unable to evacuate safley. I bet they are the sort who would charge at an exit when the slide is not fully deployed.

I'll shut up now

Phil
FlyingColours
My Travel interview on Tuesday 9th March  Smile
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:24 am

FlyingColours said: What I can't grasp is that if something happens, they are stood up and if the aircraft is shook violently (Say it is hit by something or brakes hard) they are going to get hurled across the cabin and would be unable to evacuate safley. I bet they are the sort who would charge at an exit when the slide is not fully deployed.

They don't know that. For them, the aircraft is like a lounge that happens to move around.

Twistedwhisper

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:27 am

Sometimes, when I know that I am late for a connection, be it another plane or a bus or a boat, I really REALLY want to do what ever I can to get there in time... but I agree, the ass in the face is not as pleasant as it might sound...

But, if I am on a leisure travel and usually just kick back and enjoy the show of 200+ pax all trying to squeeze through that single door at once... Oh what a sight it is.
Read between the lines.

aircadet

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:27 am

Just a suggestion that may help things go a little smoother, Check in staff pls leave the front economy section for pax with connections. And yes I also dont like getting my head knocked off by shoulder bags being put on while pax walk through the aisle.
tlaqna hi

su184

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:00 am

On one of the flights as we taxied in, I saw the Flight Attendant enter the cockpit and informed the Captain about the passengers, he braked suddenly and passengers pilled on top of each other. That was rude and unsafe.