sfointern

Old SFO Int'l Terminal Plans

Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:42 pm

What are the plans for the old SFO Int'l Terminal? It's now home to a little nursing station and a police station.

wilco

RE: Old SFO Int'l Terminal Plans

Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:53 pm

The Medical Center has always been there... even while it was an active Int'l Terminal. For awhile there were rumors that AA would move there and expand their SFOschedule, thus letting UA take over the entire North Terminal (those were pre-9/11 plans which have probably been abandoned now).

Also, the current USAir terminal is suppsoed to be demolished (note that it is currently blocking brand new Gates A1, A3 and A5 at the New Int'l Terminal). But those plans got put on indefinite hold. If that were to happen, I imagine USAir would need a home (perhaps at the Old Int'l Terminal).

More recently the Virgin USA team toured it and perhaps could use it if they select SFO as a hub.

My theory: With Terminal One sinking into the landfill perhaps it will hastily become the new home for AS, CO, HP, F9, AC.
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

jsnww81

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:53 pm

The old International Terminal is still open to passengers - the ticketing lobby anyhow. It's eerie to walk in and see the long rows of abandoned counters and hear the sound of your own footsteps. There's a big plywood wall blocking off the entrance to the gate areas, though.

I don't think American could fill the entire terminal. It has a respectable presence at SFO, but nothing that could fill 10 widely spaced, 747-sized gate areas.

I was in SFO this past weekend (see my trip report) and honestly, the place felt a little too big for the amount of traffic that's using it. On my last trip to SFO (in 2000) I remembered it feeling a LOT busier. With that in mind, I don't see the former international terminal reopening anytime soon.

flyua

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:07 am

From my base manager: US Airways will actually be joining American in the 60s gates this spring. The plan is for US to sub-lease two gates in the concourse. ...I suppose this would allow for the tear-down of the concourse currently housing US. I've heard no news yet on the fate of the old International Terminal. (An announcement from Virgin might change that soon, though.)