anxebla

Iberia Will Change MIA's Hub

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:28 pm

Iberia will give up MIA's hub according to the spanish newspaper "El Mundo".
The newspaper says:"Habrá un nuevo Hub en Centroamérica" (there will be a new hub in CentralAmerica) and "Las fuertes medidas de seguridad ahuyentan a Iberia de EEUU" (the big security's measures in USA frighten away to IB)
Many pax have complain about MIA's hub.
Iberia will seek a new hub in Central America.Cancún,Panamá and Costa Rica are candidates
What do you think about this notice?
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

RE: Iberia Will Change MIA's Hub

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:31 pm

One word: great!
Why should they keep Miami as their hub when transit passengers are treated as potential criminals?

TransIsland

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:36 pm

I agree. I try and avoid going through the US when going to and from Europe, because I don't like the way I'm treated.

How about HAV as a new hub?  Big grin
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

EZYcrew

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:39 pm

I can totally understand. My last visit to MIA airport was so humiliating, that it's no wonder IB decides to close down its hub there.
It's really sad, indeed.

anxebla

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:40 pm

yes,Stefan...
Pax from CentralAmerica,in general,don't like to make transit in MIA.

ushermittwoch

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:41 pm

I agree with Stefan.
And to be honest, I think that is the way to go. If a country treats you and your business bad, look for an alternative. I am also pretty sure that a smaller market country will do EVERYTHING that Iberia want.
A smart move if they do it, just sad for the spotters at MIA.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

rojo

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:43 pm

Interesting, but I wonder which city will get IB's business if they go forward with this plan... MIA has two advantages, it is centrally located as a door to Latin America and has the benefit of an AA domestic and international hub. Lets see if their new plans work well!!!

b752fanatic

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:48 pm

This has been discussed a lot of times.

Iberia will not leave MIA, they have more than 12 years here.

And they will not leave this strategic location, for the one world partner and for the great O/D it has from MIA to MAD.

"Cancún,Panamá and Costa Rica" thats a lot of bull... I dont buy that.

These airports cant handle the traffic,

CUN: no space for 5 aircraft at a time only by IB.

SJO: the airport is too small.

PTY: I just dont know how this city came up, Thats why I think this is bull.

This topic has been burned here, and you guys dont get it.

They wont move.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:49 pm

Why should IB care an AA hub when they have their own hub there?
As much as I know there were lots of angry passengers who dislike US hubs and when it's possible to use another hub, they can do. There are much more centrally located places in the caribbean I think.

IBERIA747

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:53 pm

Andrés:
I would appreciate if you could provide us with the link to this information so I can take a look at it.

Thanks a lot.

Alfonso

¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

anxebla

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:55 pm

B752...
If you can understand spanish,see "El Mundo"
This time can mean it.

Iberia340600

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:56 pm

In my opinion...this latest report is more than anything a scare tactic to the U.S. DOT to improve transit conditions at MIA AP. Moving the HUB to another city just doesnt make sense...there is no the feeder traffic that MIA produces. If you stick the HUB in Cancun for example...you will not get the same amount of feeder traffic to the other central american destination as you would in MIA. IB needs MIA to fill up the seats that are not sold in MAD. Then again...this whole...IB will move thing has been going on for years....who knows how long it could be before anything actually happens.
Visca Barça!!

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm

If customers demand it, IB will do - no doubt.
There are different opportunities, I am sure. And I hope they will do.
It's just a question how people get treated.

VectorVictor

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm

All conjecture and heresay Stefandotde.

Please provide hard numbers to show that non-American transit passengers through Miami (and while we are at Houston, Atlanta, et. al.) have fallen because of new rules...

Iberia is going to be hard pressed to find any airport withing 500 miles of Miami that can provide suitable infastructure as well the pax/cargo/connections that Miami provides.

If they close Miami, the might as well serve as many destination nonstop or with tag ons to other flights.

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:03 am

Alfonso...
I've seen in aviaciondigital.com with a link to "El Mundo"

tavve

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:03 am

It's a logic move.

A related question:
I'm not a frequent flyer but I've noticed a few things. When flying from A to C via B, where both A & C are non US cities but B is a US city, you have to enter B's country (USA)!!! Why? Is this system used at all international airports in the USA or just a few? What about MIA? Is that system used in any other country?
GOT, that's where I live

flymunich

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:11 am

I think SDQ is the right airport to handle the small IB Hub?

Iberia340600

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:13 am

Tavve:

Unfortunately this system was implemented post 9/11 due to "Terrorist" security concerns. Before 9/11 pax transiting through MIA would go to a transit lounge and wait there until the connecting flight was ready for boarding. Simply the burocracies of this country.
Visca Barça!!

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:18 am

Iberia340600
It's true many pax are not happy at all with the stop in MIA and not only for burocracies' troubles.

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:24 am

Cuba would be a great hub for them. In view of the future political changes there, by establishing itself in Havana now, IB will be well anchored in the Carribean, could definitely (then) support Cubana, and become a major force, when "things finally change"...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:39 am

No, I don't agree with you.For now,HAV can't be a hub.HAV is not very big,is not very new and will need many changes for to be a modern airport

rojo

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:43 am

I can picture IB having a hub in HAV and some United States of America Citizens flying MIA-HAV-MAD during the summer...

latinaviation

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:44 am

This subject comes up monthly in this forum. IB has a long history and a huge infastructure in Miami. Until IB releases a press statement, it's all talk.

mt99

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:47 am

This is my take on possible hubs in Central America.

CUN - Maybe, never been there so no comment

PTY - Small Airport, crowded?

SJO - Probably the biggest destination of all the MAD - Central America Traffic, so it probable. Not sure about airport capacity though. Modern Airport

GUA - Small outdated airport 6 gates total

TGU - No landing after dark

SAP - Small outdated airport

MGA - Small but underused airport?

SAL - Modern Airport, plenty of gates and space available, although most passengers would prob connect to other places like SJO.

Step into my office, baby

ORDagent

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:55 am

I can completely understand why IB would yank MIA as a hub. No airports in the U.S. have sterile concourses that allow foreign pax transiting the country to do so without clearing customs and immigrations. That is a huge waste of time for people that are only going to be in the country to change aircraft.

Andrew

latinaviation

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:58 am

SAP - Small outdated airport

Small, yes. Outdated? Nope. It was overhauled in the late '90s with a new passenger terminal, jetbridges, etc. Very comfortable airport.

flymia

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:01 am

I dont think so. First Miami has sp much O/D market and i dont know if they want to use the facilities in those Central American cities. Cancun is not even aa choice the traffic is all tourist and not much O/D

HAV: Please a mini in Cuba. They dont even have jet ways, I dont think the pax want to tranfer there.

Until IB gives a press statement they are all rumors since we been talking abou this since 9/11. For now IB will stay in MIA. And if they do leave i still think we would get once to twice daliy service from them with A319's to there new hub which they wont have. Also why would they want to move with AA having all those connections. They have a good partnership with and MIA. And since AA runs half the terminals i think they will work something out.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

JUANR

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:03 am

It would be great if they choose BOG as their new hub instead of MIA, that would mean access not only to Central American destinations but also to Bolivia and Paraguay (Which I think are not served by IB at the time) But perhaps SDQ would be also a good choice.

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

latinaviation

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:06 am

Where is MAH4546 when you need him?

EddieDude

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:08 am

I think that a new hub outside the U.S. is going to be very good for Central American pax. However, I wonder if any of the airports that have been mentioned have the infrastructure needed to support a hub-operation. I would love CUN to be IB's new regional hub, but IB would have to get 5th freedom rights from the Mexican government first, and CUN would have to be expanded (I think that Asur, the licensee of the airport which is owned by a consortium of European and Mexican companies, has the funds to do that). Maybe MX could also add some new Central American routes to/from CUN in order to help IB feed/distribute pax; after all, they have a codeshare agreement now and it could beneficial to both.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:13 am

PTY??? Where on earth would you connect to in PTY? Clipperton? The Galapagos? PTY does not serve IB in any way for onward connections to Latin America and the Carribean.
E pur si muove -Galileo

rojo

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:18 am

PTY has no space for expansion. CM has grown so much there that during their two banks of flights the airport becomes a total mess. Panama needs to do something with Tocumen Airport since it looks very old and will become inefficient if CM adds one more flight!!!

Skymonster

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:24 am

I have to laugh at the arrogance of the people outside of the airline who say Iberia would never do that - its strange what market pressures can sometimes do. There's no mention in the post of Iberia pulling out of Miami, just that they'd abandon their hub there. If connecting traffic is their problem, I could quite easily see IB reducing MIA to point-to-point traffic on a lower capacity aircraft, and at the same upgrading capacity and moving the hub with the A319 operation to another airport in the Caribbean or Latin America.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

bkkair

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:26 am

Anexebla,
Where is the link to this source or is this old news just to start the monthly IB leaving MIA thread? I found nothing on El Mundo or aviaciondigital.com.

I don't doubt IB is considering this move. We have seen Varig move some of their Japan flights to go via Europe instead of LAX, Asian airlines switch to YVR from ANC. I thought this transit policy was going to run for 60 days? It has been 9 months now.

Again, if this is valid news, please provide a link to a current story!

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:45 am

Bkkair:
Check again:
www.aviaciondigital.com "Las fuertes medidas de seguridad ahuyentan a Iberia de EEUU" it's close to top-page
http://elmundoviajes.elmundo.es
By the way...... Can you speak spanish?

mia

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:48 am

Hey guys. Well Iberia has been threatening to leave MIA for some time now. The thing is they wont. Why? They sell their planes to Central America with passengers that depart from Miami and they sell flights of Central Americans coming to Miami. I have a friend whose father goes to Guate all the time and he only flies Iberia. They cannot put the hub into Jose Martí because they would loose the passengers going to Miami. This same reason applies for any other city. They have an advantage in MIA that they cant get anywhere else.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

b752fanatic

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:50 am

Ok, this is the link:http://elmundoviajes.elmundo.es/elmundoviajes/noticia.html?seccion=cronica&nombre=1078431558

But I really dont buy it.

Guys, I am an IB employee at MIA.

We have a sterile part of the airport called Intransit Room.

We have granted permission for ITI, so when the passangers pass inmigration, right to the left just a few steps is the room.

There the passangers wait for boarding that is being done in the same area of the airport "the E stellite".

Ok, so I really dont think that IB is going to take the hub away with this permission granted by the US government, REMEMBER PEOPLE the US goverment prohibited ITI.

IB is the only airline permited with ITI.

Once again,

Guys, I am an IB employee at MIA.

We have a sterile part of the airport called Intransit Room.

We have granted permission for ITI, so when the passangers pass inmigration, right to the left just a few steps is the room.

There the passangers wait for boarding that is being done in the same area of the airport "the E stellite".

Ok, so I really dont think that IB is going to take the hub away with this permission granted by the US government, REMEMBER PEOPLE the US goverment prohibited ITI.

SO NOW, PLEASE UNDERSTAND, AND TALK WITH FACTS, NOT WITH RUMORS, IBERIA IS NOT LEAVING MIAMI, IBERIA NEEDS MIAMI MORE THAN MIAMI NEEDS IBERIA.

[Edited 2004-03-05 17:51:39]

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:06 am

IB needs MIA more than MIA needs IB... umm. I don't know my answer for this.
But believe me,B752 IB is TIRE OUT of MIA and very fed up of to receive complains from Pax in transit.

bkkair

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:13 am

Thanks for the link Anexebla! A rough translation (from babelfish.altavista.com) of the link from
http://elmundoviajes.elmundo.es/elmundoviajes/noticia.html?seccion=cronica&nombre=1078431558

From El Mundo, March 4 2004
The safety measures that the United States have imposed to air transport have frightened many travellers, and they are even beginning to drive away some airlines.
The latest case is the one of Iberia, which is considering changing its hub of flights from Miami to another airport in Central America. ©EFE Iberia "dificilmente" considers Miami their hub in the American continent mantenible, and is "looking for alternatives" to transfer their hub operations to a Central American airport, said the Iberia representative, Mullor Angel.

Due to safety measures in the airports of the United States after the attacks of the 11 of September of 2001 and, in particular, those introduced by the American authorities more recently, Iberia is facing numerous difficulties to conduct normal operations in Miami, from where it flies to Guatemala, Managua (Nicaragua), San Pedro de Sula (Honduras), Cancún (Mexico), Panama, San jOse of Costa Rica and San Salvador (El Salvador). "Our situation in Miami is dificilmente mantenible, is having many problems and is receiving many complaints from our passengers", explained Mullor. This way, and although at first the destiny chosen by Iberia for its new operations center was speculated on with the possibility that Cancún (Mexico), the
airline revealed that other alternatives are also being studied. "the problem of Cancún is the difficulty of connection with other airports, but we are looking at several alternatives, like Panama, San Juan of Costa Rica and also Cancún", he indicated. Besides avoiding the rigid and tedious security procedures which they are put under in Miami, travellers whose final destination is Central America will not have to carry the new machine readable passport (that the U.S.A. will demand as of October of 2004). Also, Central American passengers who wish to travel to Spain, no longer will have to ask for an American visa when connecting in Miami.

anxebla

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:22 am

You're welcome,Bkkair  Smile

COPA737

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:25 am

Rojo,

Panama is doing his job with the Tocumen Airport. The works will begin in June 2004 and will be finish in one year. The airport will have a new third floor, new modern gates, and they are going to relocate the airport free zone. Also they are going to add 7 new gates for a total of 21. And 6 new parking positions.

There is a second phase to construct a new terminal, so there are plans for Tocumen and you will see it in the next years.

Here is a photo of the first phase.

Regards,
Felipe
Panamá Crece y Copa Airlines crece con Panamá!

plaaneboy

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:32 am

Until they send out a press release, I have to agree with Latinaviation. With the amount of money already invested by IB in Miami, it would a take a great for IB to close their MIA hub.

The lack of decent hub airports is the biggest problem. SJO is too small and congested, SAP is modern, but small, TGU has nighttime and performance issues and GUA is small. The only airport feasible for a hub operation would be SAL, but I don't know if they would want to have a hub there. I've heard of stories about IB moving their hub to Havana, but nothing has ever happened.

MAH4546

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:37 am

Iberia is not going anywhere. As it has been said, Iberia needs Miami more than Miami needs Iberia.

First of all:

1) There is no alternative. Not one other city in Central America or the Caribbean can provide Iberia with the profitable, high-yielding O&D traffic it needs to make this operation profitable.

2) The high-yielding traffic comes from Europe and from Miami. These passengers are not affeceted by the new Visa rules.

3) Ideally, Iberia would still like to have the rules change again, so they will likely continue to make "threats". The fact remains, as Miami-based Iberia B752fantaic knows as well, as that they are meaningless threats.

4) You guys are crazy if you think the governments of countries like El Salvador and Mexico would ever give Iberia 5th freedom rights. In fact, both El Salvador and Mexico have denied Iberia fifth freedom rights on MIA-CUN and MIA-SAL (which ops. via SAP). They are way to protective of Grupo TACA and Mexicana/AeroMexico, respectively, and they are not going to allow compieition to thier national carriers come in.

[Edited 2004-03-05 18:39:33]
a.

ibe1238

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:51 am

It's true that we receive a lot of complaints about the Miami Hub and that many passengers refuse flying to Central America through MIA due to the extreme security reasons. I keep on saying that the hub should be shitfed to SDQ.
Manuel

mt99

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:52 am

You guys are crazy if you think the governments of countries like El Salvador and Mexico would ever give Iberia 5th freedom rights

Unless they code share with Mexicana/Aeromexico out of CUN, or TACA to rest of CA.
Step into my office, baby

LH423

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:55 am

B752fanatic: You're missing the point. From your words "We have granted permission for ITI, so when the passangers pass inmigration, right to the left just a few steps is the room.

"Pass Immigration" are the key words there. That's the problem. Maybe you're an American citizen and don't realize how foreigners are treated by our "friendly and welcoming" Customs and Border Protection officers, but if you're a Central American traveller who has already had to go through the rigours of getting a US visa simply to transfer Miami then try and get through immigration with the meagre English you do know, it's not a fun process. I'm not saying that IB hasn't invested a lot in the hub, but if it's just a better deal making MIA a spoke city with transit passengers going through a friendlier environment, then why not?

In the end, it's going to be the market that decides, not how much money IB has invested or the history in the station.

I personally would not be surprised if IB were to close the hub at MIA and have just a flight from MAD and a flight or two to the new hub.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MAH4546

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:55 am

Unless they code share with Mexicana/Aeromexico out of CUN, or TACA to rest of CA.

Which is not only unlikely, but entirely elimates the point of operating thier own aircraft in the first place. They do it so that they can recieve all the revenue on connecting flights.
a.

MAH4546

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:58 am

I personally would not be surprised if MIA and a flight or two to the new hub.

Even with a closed hub, Iberia would still offer double-daily service between Miami and Madrid. Miami is the largest US O&D market from Madrid, and Miami-Madrid is one of the busiest trans-Atlantic city pairs.

[Edited 2004-03-05 18:58:59]
a.

b752fanatic

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:09 am

People,

MIA has more ways out to Europe than any other city in the Americas (latin america etc).

When problems come, we take the pax to other carriers like AZ, LH, BA etc.

I mean, the best place to have a hub for Latin America is MIA.

No doubt about that.

Another thing, people this topic like Latin Aviation said, is being talked by us every month.

The next time this topic comes again I will suggest deletion, if is not a Press Delete exclusively from Iberia.

And about immigrations.. in the time to come I believe that the US government will continue to give us rights in order to make the passengers more comfortable.

Airbus Lover

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:13 am

Totally with LH423...

With the suspension of Transit without visa program it is a heck of a hassle to transit in the US. Transit time may be less than 24 hours but the amount of time, effort, hassle, money and sometimes anger in trying to obtain a US visa.

Upon arrival not all immigration officers are particularly friendly. You get questioned as if you are going to be a criminal and as if you are begging to be allowed to enter the US. Thinking they're all that. This is so true especially to certain people. I have not really experienced this myself but I am sure many has and even some relatives that I heard of.

Luckily, my transborder experiences from BC to WA were all rather smooth and lax. Almost didn't wanna check on me except having to pay US$6 land transborder fee.