mrwayne

Living Next To The Airport..a Dream Come True?

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:33 pm

Would you like to live close to an airport?

Would it be your dream come true or your worst nightmare?

I live minutes from LGW and I love hearing all the associated sounds, taxiing, taling off, landing, engine tests etc.

I can even see the a/c take off from my bedroom window.

What do you think? Would you like to live on a runway?

Sammyhostie

RE: Living Next To The Airport..a Dream Come True?

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:38 pm

MrWayne,

I love it, I also live very near the airport because its so handy for work.

I love the sounds, (not noises) of the aiport and the smell of av fuel!

Great post!

andz

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:42 pm

Several years ago I lived less than 500 metres from the threshold of 21L at JNB. This runway is elevated at both ends, and I could see the end out of my kitchen window above the other houses closer to the airport. My house was next to some open ground and the approach lights were on this land, when the weather was bad they seemed to land more on that runway, the aircraft lights would light up the house on approach!

They use this runway much more now but luckily we don't live there anymore. It was fun because it was infrequent, if it happened every day it would be too much.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Pe@rson

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:44 pm

Yeah, I'd like it. I dunno whether my fiancee would, but I certainly would!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Q330

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:46 pm

Good question. I think I'd probably like it if I had a really good view of the airfield. Of course, I might get tired of the noise after a while, but I can't say for sure.

-Q
Long live the A330!

A340600

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:52 pm

YAYYYYY, more people fro LGW!!! I'm 2 miles on approach and I love gtting the registrations from my garden. Also the old ones shake my windows soo much that i'm surprised we've got any glass left!!! I love it though  Laugh out loud

Sam Laugh out loud
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Sammyhostie

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:54 pm

Sam,

Thats quality.

Do your work at the airport?

Pe@rson

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:57 pm

I foresee a future A.nutters meet at LGW, more specificially at Sam's house.  Laugh out loud  Wink/being sarcastic Nothing like being upfront about these things, eh? lol.

---

SammyH - are you definitely coming to the LHR meet?

EVERYONE - DON'T FORGET THERE'S A BIG A.NUTTERS GET-TOGETHER AT LHR IN APRIL!!!!!! BE THERE, OR UMM... DON'T BE!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

keno

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:00 pm

All all the residents near LHR are as cooperative as you freaks, we'll probably have Terminal 5 by now already.  Big grin

azo

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:04 pm

In Boston last week I was noticing all the houses directly across the water from the airport. It would be a dream to live in one of those, and it looks like a beautiful area even without thinking of the airport. I'm sure its expensive to have waterfront property like that.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

AMS

RE: Living Next To The Airport..A Dream Come True?

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:04 pm

If you like planes, it is great to live close to an airport. Also in some situations it may be cheaper to purchase a house close to an airport.
At AMS Schiphol there are some houses which have a view across the runway!

A3204eva

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:37 pm

I live on approach to RWY 28 at BLK, great-especially when Ryanair fly over.  Smile
"They have lady pilots......... they're not that good, but they have 'em"

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:38 pm

When I skydived, one of the instructors had a summer house basically at the end of the grass strip. He even got a tax break for, you guess it, "proximity to airport"! A good deal considering prop only traffic in daylight hours, and the fact that he tried to squeeze in 7 jumps a day.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

mrwayne

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:39 pm

You cant really class as BLK as an airport A3204eva!!

But glad you enjoy it mate, fair play to you.

Pe@rson

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:51 pm

Why can't you class BLK as an airport? It has the occasional charter flight and regular scheduled flights (to STN, for example).

AMM744

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:54 pm

Well, I'm only 30 miles from LGW.

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:59 pm

I spent four months living in an airport hotel at DFW last year (off of John Carpenter and Freedom, next to the PCA Parking North). Of course for an aviation enthusiast it was great, being able to watch aircraft so close you could see the registration numbers. However, after about a month of nights, I found myself hoping for use of the 17/18's so landing traffic (which makes far less noise) would be approaching over the north end. When they departed to the north, it made considerable noise not conducive to sleep.

(Edited to correct street name)

[Edited 2004-03-06 15:00:30]

Captain_777

Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:06 pm

In Memphis, we lived in a suburb of the city, and the MEM traffic was overhead often. At night, the planes (FedEx) would fly over with their landing lights in our house and our neighborhood. I was only eight years-old, but still thought it was neat.

I stayed in the Days Inn at the SAV airport last weekend. It was nice during the afternoon, but at night when I had to get up early the next day it sort of sucked!! In a different sense, because I wanted to jump out of bed to the window and see the plane everytime I heard one -- The aviation nut in me.

IndianGuy

Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:14 pm

I once rented out an apartment that was around 200m from the western end of BOM's RWY027. The main advantage was that my terrace offered great spotting possibilites when I went up for my evg smoke. But otherwise, it was a nasty place, becoz I couldnt get a moment of sleep considering that intl all arr/dep were between 2300 and 0500! Mebbe THAT is why I gopt it so cheap?

-Roy

ScottishLaddie

Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:38 pm

I live about 8-10 miles from EDI, but not on the approach path, so I don't see much, but if the wind is blowing i the right direction I normally hear taking offs, especially the Ryanair 732 to DUB!  Big thumbs up
I'd love to have a house next to or on the approach path to an airport.

MikeTheActuary

Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:51 pm

I live about 1 mile off-and-to-one-side of the end of BDL runway 6/24. From late fall to early spring, I can almost see the end of the runway from my home office, through the trees.

Fortunately the house is far enough off the glideslope & departure tracks so that noise isn't a problem -- yes, we hear planes go by, but the noise is bad only on those rare occasions when we get a flyover (military traffic or missed approaches).

It's great being able to take a break from yardwork to see traffic fly by, being able to walk the dog over to the observation area, and receiving the control tower loud and clear on the scanner from inside the house. And since I travel for business...gotta love the location.

This house was priced at a bit of a discount, since normal people for some reason see proximity to the airport like this as being a bad thing. Frankly, one of the reasons my wife and I fell in love with the house was the planespotting.

jsnww81

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:15 am

I would love to live near the airport... when I started my job here in Chicago, I considered looking for apartments in the O'Hare area, but unfortunately the housing stock in that area is aging and not particularly attractive (naturally the rents are high though, this is Chicago after all!)

Growing up in Dallas, my high school was close to the outer marker for 13R at Love Field, so those kamikaze Southwest 737s (which have to twist and turn across Dallas to avoid the DFW approach zones) were always banking right above campus.

Funny you should mention BLK... my parents lived in St. Annes (just south of Blackpool) for two years as expatriates, and I never once saw an aircraft using the airport. Once, in the middle of the night, I heard a VERY loud jet go by, but that could have been a military aircraft from the Warton Airfield. Ryanair didn't start Blackpool flights until after my parents had left, although it seems like a great idea for Fylde Coast and Lancashire residents!

ruslan

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:24 am

Heck yeah, it's a dream come true! I don't think I'd ever do anything else but plane spot all day though..I love the sounds of all airplanes but give me some classics like DC-9s, 727s, DC-8s and 732s for sure in there..because they'd never disappoint!!

santosdumont

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:26 am

I'm not sure about this one. I guess it depends on the location of your house in relation to the airport and on that field's particular approach pattern.

Here in São Paulo, for example, the approach to CGH RWY 17 takes the plane on a very low sweep over heavily residential areas. So what you get is a great view of the planes but the noise is a lot louder. Fortunately, the field closes at around 11 p.m. But if you want to take a snooze in the afternoon it might be difficult.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

InnocuousFox

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:44 am

Well, I don't know about a "dream come true", but it certainly would be invading your dreams.

I think the best situation would be on some sort of hill or ridge overlooking the airport - but a distance enough away that the sound wouldn't be so bad. I'm a big traffic pattern guy and I like to see the movements around the field while I listen on my scanner. I don't need to be in a place where I can count wing rivets on the arrivals.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

SWA TPA

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:15 am

LOL Captain 777!

As a kid I used to dream about living in a place like you did!
I always imagined my room filling up with bright light as an aircraft approached to land. To funny!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

airfrancejfk

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:19 am

I live directly under the landing path for runway 13L next to JFK in New York. I can tell you that as an aviation enhusiast, its not all its cracked up to be. For one thing, after a while, you really stop noticing those planes. And when the weather gets really bad, especially at night, they come down really low, and will certainly wake you up from bed. On the good side, I work at JFK so its basically a 2 minute drive to work so I guess its not a bad trade off after all.

tayloss

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:34 am

Hi,

I live close to Southampton Eastleigh airport, love it! But we get some many complains from neighbours, so say they are too loud and they cannot hear there TV's!

I have no complains!  Smile

Chris

[Edited 2004-03-06 18:34:57]

SK901

Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:42 am

My parents live near KRP, so every time an aircraft is on aproach
it flies about 500 feet above their house. For me an A/C engine
is music for the ears. I really miss it now, I never see an A/C where
I live now. It would be awsome if I could live that near an airport
again.
Traveling is living

flymia

Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:32 am

I love it i live about 5 miles from MIA. I only can here planes landing but i live right under 27R Landings and 9L take off. That is MIA most used runway for commercial aircraft. Every day i get BA IB VS 747 and all the others.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ACB777

Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:51 am

I live really close to YVR and planes fly directly over my house on approach to the north runway. Although I really like planes, I find them really annoying. Whenever I'm watching TV at night these loud ZIP or Westjet 737 - 200's fly over and make noise. They interrupt the tv show! And the planes that fly over my house are boring. Usually they're just 737's, AC 763's, and if I'm lucky an AC 330. I haven't seen a 747 or any Asian airline fly over our house for months!

dragon-wings

Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:00 am

When planes pass over my house to land at Islip (KISP/ISP) they are 60 seconds or less from touch down. I like being able to look out my window and seeing the planes pass real close.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Coronado990

Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:41 am

If you want a ring side seat to the action, SAN is the place. Just sit on your terrace, have a cup of coffee and watch the action below...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tony Zeljeznjak
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Zeljeznjak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike "Rotor" Nowak
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Zeljeznjak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Uncle SAN at your service!

AirVB

Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:59 am

I live on the peninsula south of LAX so I always hear planes that depart to the west and go south to circle around back to the east, and theyre pretty loud sometimes for being so high up that I can't even tell the airline/type. A lot of the noise comes around 11 or 12 at night with all the jumbos going to Asia.

Some friends of mine live in El Segundo in the Grand Ave area, and you can really hear the takeoffs off of runway 25L, but in the case its nice to be able to see the aircraft up close. But if I lived there i think i might go crazy running outside every other takeoff to see the type and stuff. I stayed at the Sheraton in San Diego right in front of the airport last May, and everytime I heard a loud airplane sound, I would run to the balcony or to the end of the hall to try to see what it was lol.

Like Coronado mentioned, I would love to live in the hills right behind the airport-greattt view of all the ops at Lindbergh Field.

FLAIRPORT

Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:29 pm

I love it i live about 5 miles from MIA. I only can here planes landing but i live right under 27R Landings and 9L take off. That is MIA most used runway for commercial aircraft. Every day i get BA IB VS 747 and all the others.

my dads office is like 2 miles from MIA...but on the other side (on the west side of the Palmetto.

My piano teacher is about 3-5 miles from FLL...I love going there at just the right time...you can see clearly planes landing or taking off...
Her house will probably be demolished when they build the new 9R/27L extention due to "noise" issues....all the more reason for me to want to live there! I am 10 miles out, myself.

I stayed at the Cortyard by MIA in the 13 approach for 2 nights (the greatest 2 nights of my life!) and I could literally see the Alitalia logo painted on the bottom of the plane!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

hirisk

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:58 pm

great post!

the apt i live in is under the approach for 18L at CVG.depends which way the wind is blowing but i have planes buzzing overhead all day.i love it! Smile
happy contrails

kalakaua

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:04 pm

I used to live around HNL, less than 2 miles away. I loved the sounds. I remembered when AF1 came by once, oh boy was that an experience! Taking photographs was fun, but expensive too.  Laugh out loud
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

HlywdCatft

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:13 pm

I live right between the approaches of 17 and 18R/L at MCO. I am probably 2-3 miles from where they touchdown so everything is nice and low, really cool when there are planes landing at the same time on 17 and one of the 18s its like stereo. I've gotten to the point where I can tell what flight it is by just listening from inside my apartment.

When planes take off over my apartment it can get loud and disturb my TV. A lot of charter 727s have been returning to MCO lately along with a few cargo ones. NW flies a couple DC-9s in here and there is a Delta 737-200 or two that take off from here

USAFHummer

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:15 pm

Back in the Philly area, our house is located under the pattern for a military field, so we've had all sorts of exciting stuff above our house at fairly low altitudes...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usafthumb/detail?.dir=/Airplanes&.dnm=DSCF0001.jpg

This is probably the rarest thing to come into NXX that I can recall, an E-6B Mercury, came in sometime in 2002 IIRC...photo was taken from my front yard...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Continental

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:21 pm

I live under the approach path to the 30 runways at MSP. During the summer, FedEx has some heavies come in real late, and sometimes when I leave the window open, they wake me up! It's great, during the summer I'll go outside, sit on the deck, and spot right there!!

co

aaway

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:24 pm

I live a portion of Hawthorne that puts me a mile-and-a-half south-southeast of the 25s at LAX. Being my residence is two-story, with north and east facing windows, I get a very nice view of the approaches. Though I don't run to look much anymore, for my listening pleasure I have a scanner setup on a table facing my northside window.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

A330Fan1

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:26 pm

I think at first it might be tempting, as an aviation fan, to live near an airport to be close to all the action, like landings and take-offs. However, over time it might get annoying and become a hassle, it might irritate me to hear so many planes and some might even wake me up during sleep! so, i don't think i'd like to live too close to an airport. I'd rather save the visits to the airports and to the noise so that I treasure them more, than start to hate airplanes because of all the noise they would create if I lived near them!

-A330Fan1

sovietjet

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:50 pm

My house in Sofia, Bulgaria is right next to the runway. I can see the whole airport since it's an apartment building. Let's just say that when my family bought it 10 years ago the airport was full of Tu-154Bs and Tu-134s and that was noise which I loved(although loud). I live so close I could hear them taxi and start their engines.

kilavoud

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:07 pm

I remember my stay of one week in Mumbai, in the apartment that a very hospitable Indian Family just bought in Santa Cruz Area near Mumbai Airport, about twenty years ago. As flights were allowed to depart and land full night, it was very very very noisy when planes just overflew our area when taking-off. I really had the impression that some planes flew through our apartment.

I already have my own house in southern India, and my second home (small apartment) in Switzerland where I use to stay frequently for work reasons. In two years I will be retired. Then, if I could have then my second home near an airport, I would live near Changi, in Singapore, without hesitation.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

je89_w
Crew

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:59 pm

I wouldn't mind living near an airport, for example living on Hickam Air Force Base, which is HNL's neighbor. Hickam AFB has some really nice houses, and just after a short drive down the road you'll see a bridge (taxiway to 08R a.k.a. Reef Runway) where all sorts of planes taxi by. Perfect for photos too. And if you keep driving down the road, you'll reach a golf course. Lovely!

I don't mind the noise. And if it gets too much, I'll close the windows and doors, and listen to music. But why would I do that? Listening to planes is just as good!

flyguy1

Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:59 am

My house is located less that 1 mile from JFK, I am right under the 13 arrival, 31 departure patten. Personally, I love it. Being able to see planes all the time is the greatest thing to an enthusiast such as myself. As a plane lover, why not enjoy aviation as often as possible? As for disturbing my sleep patern, after living close to JFK most of my life, I never notice the noise when sleeping. Just a part of city life...
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

ba321

RE: Living Next To The Airport..A Dream Come True?

Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:58 am

I live 8DME from LHR under 27R approach and love every minute of it, but unless I am looking or have my scanner on you don't really notice the planes. I wish I lived closer as when it is cloudy I don't see the planes and when the wind is blowing the other way I live too far away to see all but a minute few departures.
Fly safe, ba321

BR715-A1-30

Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:11 am

When I was in ATL, and I stayed at the Renaissance, I got this shot.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Jacob Griffin

I sat up pretty much all night watching the action. I was afraid if I went to sleep, I'd miss something really cool. Although I was tired the next day, but it was worth it.
Puhdiddle

AFC_Ajax00

Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:37 am

My old house in NY (Westchester) was located under an approach path to LGA, I don't remember which one but there was always a constant stream of shorthaul airliners from the big boys flying overhead.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return