OklahomaSooner
Topic Author

Places To Spot At LAX

Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:14 am

What are some of the best places to spot at LAX? Also, when is the best time to catch international or heavy arrivals and what runways do they usually use? Thanks!
Boomer Sooner!!!

AirVB

RE: Places To Spot At LAX

Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:06 am

A lot of people go up to Imperial Hill to spot, personally I go past the airport on Sepulveda to the In-n-Out and sit in the park and watch planes fly by 50 feet over my head. Doesn't get much better than that....

There's usually some sort of heavy at any given time and they use both runways...I know for sure that there are a decent amount around 12pm with some European arrivals/Asian departures and 3pm with the same thing, but I might be wrong.

wedgetail737

Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:51 am

I've heard that Imperial Hill is good if you have a good zoom lens. I used to take pictures from the Observation Deck, until 9-11 occurred. Does anyone know if the observation deck is opened again?

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:00 pm

The photo below shows what AirVB is talking about.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Stevenson - SPOT THIS!

LAX is on your left. Follow the road curve around to the left, and view planes through their chain-link fence. In-n-Out Burgers is where the roads split (look for the red pickup truck). There is a small triangle of land there where spotters squat.  Smile

Continental

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Are there any parking ramps or something where you can spot? I'm heading over to LAX next month for a daytrip, I would also like to find some nice areas to see some aircraft! I would go to the In-n-Out where I dreadfully want to go, but I have no car!!!

co

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:10 pm

Depends where you'll be coming from. You can walk on Sepulveda, Lincoln, and Westchester (the three streets at that intersection) but not on the airport ingress/egress roads. So, wearing a comfortable pair of shoes, you can take a heart-healthy hike from any Century Boulevard hotel.

Continental

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:45 pm

How far would it be to take this walk??? And how long each way??

co

OklahomaSooner
Topic Author

Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Thanks for the replies! I was down at LAX this evening, and after reading some feedback I decided to stop by the In-N-Out. All I can say is I think I've found my favorite place to spot at LAXBig grin

Continental,
I would guess the In-N-Out is about a mile from the terminal, easily walkable with comfortable shoes.
Boomer Sooner!!!

flyboeingjets

Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:04 pm

Agreed, In-N-Out on Sepulveda is easily walkable (10-15 min) from the Central Terminal Area or any Century Blvd Hotel. In addition, the fence and sidewalk area on Northside Parkway is also walkable from In-N-Out. Someone else will have to fill you in as to where to get north complex shots now. For south side shots, use Imperial Hill. There have been many uploads from the north side of LAX since I have last been there, but I believe they are not from the perimeter fence and guardrailed area on Northside Parkway that I shot pics from.

AA717driver

Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:58 am

I've found the bar at the top of the Radisson is great. You can see both approaches. I walked from the Radisson to the Furama(Manchester & Lincoln, I believe) and it took about 20 minutes or so.TC
FL450, M.85

StarGoldLHR

Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:13 am

In-and-Out burger on Sepulveda. I have to admit Ive found this the most friendly place to stop and watch whats going on in the US.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

QANTAS747-438

Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:53 am

Here's a great shot from the In N' Out spot.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Paulsen

My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Skydrol

Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:23 am

QANTAS747-438:

The photographer should sell that photo to IN-N-OUT! On the IN-N-OUT web site, they have photos of every restaurant, maps and directions to each.

For this location their slogan should be changed to:

♪♫♪♫ IN-N-OUT ♪♫♪♫
♫♪♫♪ IN-N-OUT ♫♪♫♪
♪♫♪♫ Spotting planes is what it's all about. ♪♫♪♫♪

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

kevin752

Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:51 pm

I go to LAX sometimes and in and out is the best to see arrivals and departures. I live 30 mins from LAX so I have a car thankfully. I always try to go to LAX to see MY 3 FAVORITE AIRLINES COME IN : Lufthansa, America West and Southwest come in. The treat is when I see the big 747 with the big beatiful crane on it, that would be Lufthansa. Well if any of you are comming to LAX have a great time and have a terrific flight.
"Keep Climbing"

pilottim747

Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:44 pm

Continental,

You're headed to LAX from MSP for just a day-trip?! What a waste in my opinion. I could spend days at LAX without getting bored. I think anyone who cant devote the better part of a day to LAX spotting, should stick to the smaller airports (unless you're able to get there often, of course).

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.