dlj1216

What are airlines policy about people using crutches?

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:10 am

what are airlines policy about people using crutches? are they helpful or just treat you like any other passenger with 2 legs?

QB737

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:26 am

They will pre-board you in that case.

Benoît
Ben YVR

thegreatchecko

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:29 am

Dlj1216,

Most airlines would probably allow you to board first. You may have to ask the agent to give you a pre-board card on some airlines (they may not realize you are on crutches). Seeing that you might need the extra room and time to get into your seat they would be more than happy to let you on first (it'll probably help the flight get off on time).  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

If you are flying a regional or any airline with smaller aircraft for that matter and you can't climb stairs, they may pull up a ramp to the door which would let you walk onto the aircraft instead of climbing up some stairs.

Hope this helps!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

ATL2CDG

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:35 am

All:

I hate to differ with you, QB737, but the correct phrase ought to be, 'They should pre-board you.' Unfortunately, I've seen special-needs passengers brought onto an airplane in the middle of boarding or at the end (with a seat in the very back, no doubt). Of course, my airline's (EV) policy is to pre-board all special needs passengers, however, the vast majority of our gate personnel are not sensitive to the needs of our passengers (or simply too obtuse to even notice special needs).

When boarding, my approach varies when it comes to special needs passengers. Many people are fiercely independent and take any sign of lending help as a direct insult as to their abilities. Others b*tch up a storm if you're half a second late in offering a hand. For me, it's really a game of observation and intuition. I generally act of the side of caution and at least offer to help. If they refuse, then I stand back, ever watchful, and let them tackle the stairs themselves. Often times, I'll joke with the senior citizens that 'it's half the trip just getting up those blasted stairs, eh?' to which they often giggle.

TysV
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

jkudall

Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:38 am

Not only is it a policy at our airline, it is also the law. Any passenger who needs crutches to get around is considered to be disabled. Even if they are just using the crutches temporarily. Therefore, the airline must assist and accomodate that passenger just like any other disabled person.

QB737

Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:13 am

TysV

No offence taken. Pre-boarding pax with crutches was a rule everywhere I worked in the past. Things might have changed since then.

Benoît
Ben YVR

Captain_777

RE: What Are Airlines Policy About People Using Crutches?

Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:23 am

My mother is on crutches from knee surgery. We flew 2 weeks ago down to SAV. She was pre-boarded, and in the airport used a wheelchair to get around easier. The treated her as if she was a disabled person (which she temporarily is) and with care.

komododx

RE: What Are Airlines Policy About People Using Crutches?

Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:27 am

Well I'm off the crutches from my knee dislocation, but they're still in my closet, and I'm flying tomorrow TLH-ATL-DCA on FL... think I'll get any luck? What about my friend traveling with me? Would he be able to board with me or not?

KdX in TLH  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I'm homeless and unemployed