richardw

Ryanair And BA's One Way Fares

Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:12 pm

FR love quoting them and yes they are high, but surely very few passengers actually book and travel BA on them, with most just booking a return and not using the return portion.
So Fr's comparison is a red herring, why don't they compare high return fares with carriers that still require a saturday night stay for good return fares, LH for example.

Pe@rson

RE: Ryanair And BA's One Way Fares

Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:31 pm

FR is comparing a one-way price with a one-way price. If it was a one-way price verses a return price, then that would not be as accurate, even if it was cheaper. It clearly says it’s only comparing one-way fares, so all is fine.

It is normally impossible to give a like-for-like example (BA might not serve the same airport which FR does), so the comparison is a little inaccurate, but it does the job pretty well.

Let’s pretend I want to fly ONE-WAY between Glasgow and Rome on 1st June and could choose either FR or BA. Consider the following:

BAGLA to FCO via LHR. The total fare, inclusive of tax, is £560.60.

FRPIK to CIA. The total fare, inclusive of tax, is £51.18.

A bit of a difference, I think you’ll agree, not only in price but also in travel duration.

Even if we unfairly compare a one-way fare with a return (returning on, say, the 7th), then BA's still substantially more expensive:

BAGLA to FCO via BHX outbound, FCO to GLA via LGW inbound. The total fare, including tax, is £183.30.

FRPIK to CIA. The total fare, inclusive of tax, is £51.18.

Again, FR is comparing LIKE-FOR-LIKE (as far as possible) in comparing one-way fares.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

richardw

Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:13 pm

Yes, there is comparing like for like and it does produce some interesting results.

But comparing more likely scenarios is more useful, practical and credible.

Pe@rson

Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:22 pm

"But comparing more likely scenarios is more useful, practical and credible."

Perhaps, but the average punter isn't likely to know that a roundtrip is less expensive. Also, comparing a one-way fare with a roundtrip fare is neither as good and as illustrative for FR as a one-way vs one-way comparison. If I was the CEO of FR, I'd be doing exactly the same thing, as it would show my firm in a better light.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos