trijetfan1

NWA/UAL/Delta/AA International Services Out Of LAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 am

What are the international services out of LAX and SFO from UAL DL AA and NWA?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

as739x

RE: NWA/UAL/Delta/AA International Services Out Of LAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:07 am

SFO-NW: NRT
SFO-UA: (let see if I can get them all) Mexico City,London,Paris,Frankurt,Tokyo,Osaka,Seoul,Shanghai,Beijing (coming soon),Sydney,and Hong Kong...I may have missed 1 or 2

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

trijetfan1

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:11 am

Why does NWA offer NRT service out of SFO?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

sw733

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:17 am

I guess because they figure it makes money. I'm not sure what the load factor is on it, but considering they do it with a DC-10, I assume they get enough to fill it but not enough to bump it up to a 747. I guess whatever route makes business, right?!?!  Smile

as739x

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:20 am

NWA has served Narita for as long as I can remember. Why not? They are a major to Asia and San Francisco has an huge Japanese population only behind the LA area. NWA does NRT and KIX from LA and SEA on the west coast.
To add what I have above for UAL..Through codeshare they also serve from SFO Munich (LH) daily, Frankfurt (LH) daily, Seoul (OZ) 4 weekly, Seoul (SQ) daily, Hong Kong (SQ) daily, Auckland (NZ as of June 30) 3 weekly. They had much more Mexico with the Mexican coseshare till they bailed on STAR.

ASSFO

as739x

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:31 am

Now my stab at LAX service...
DAL: NIL
AMR: London, Los Cabos, they just annouced Honduras
NWA: Tokyo,Osaka
UAL: Sydney,Tokyo,London,Mexico City,Guatamala City
I'm sure I am missing some..

ASSFO

EddieDude

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:38 am

DL flies to MEX from LAX. And I am not sure, but probably to GdL too.

I would also think that UA, DL and AA have other flights to Mexican beach cities from LAX.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

scottysair

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:44 am

DL was flies out of LAX to NRT, KIX and after about with KE codeshare was suspended with DL to SEL before and did not come back with their Delta flight.

SESGDL

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:49 am

DL serves MEX and DL), Mexico">GDL from LAX internationally.

Jeremy

UALAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:09 am

AA-Los Cabos, San Salvador (announced), London, Tokyo (starting next month) and Toronto

UA: London, Tokyo, Sydney, Mexico City, Guatemala City, San Salvador

DL: Guadalajara, Mexico City

NW: Tokyo (I think they cancelled Osaka, but not sure)

ssides

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:20 am

NWA has served Narita for as long as I can remember. Why not? They are a major to Asia and San Francisco has an huge Japanese population only behind the LA area. NWA does NRT and KIX from LA and SEA on the west coast.

Show of hands: who here thinks that the SFO-NRT nonstop is profitable because Japanese-American families are flying home to visit relatives on the holidays?

OK, another show of hands, who here thinks that the SFO-NRT nonstop is profitable because it carries business travelers?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

aaway

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:21 am

As739x,
Sorry my NorCal friend, NW dropped LAX-KIX in early 2001.

[Edited 2004-03-09 01:22:43]
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

jetjack74

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:27 am

NW, LAX-NRT only. KIX was cancelled in '01. It's not international, but LAX-HNL will be returning shortly.
Made from jets!

as739x

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:30 am

Aaway.....should have looked that one up. Sorry I'm lacking sleep and busy at work. I should have know those DL flights.
Ssides......I'm awake enough to know that NW does have a lot of local traffic that are families. I know a few friends of mine alone that do it. I'm just answering the question. No need to start a debate on why they fly it. Fact is they fly it and there is wide variety of ppl on those flights.
UALAX.....thanx, I should have know San Salvador, by friend use to work that flight all the time so she could see family.
ASSFO

aaway

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:33 am

Trijetfan1,
A lot folks seem to neglect the strength of NW at the other end - Tokyo Narita. NW probably captures a good amount of feed via Narita for SFO-TYO-SFO service.
Feed notwithstanding, SFO-TYO is an absolutely great point-to-point route, as others have pointed out.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

UALAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:07 am

ASSFO-No problem

One important carrier missing from this list is Alaska (who serve Canada and Mexico from LAX) Off the top of my head:

Vancouver
Calgary
Guadalajara
Puerto Vallarta
Mazatlan
Los Cabos
Cancun
Ixtapa?

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch

Even though it's not international, AA also serves San Juan

It's pretty interesting, a couple of years ago, UA had a strong lead over other carriers in the number of international destinations served from LAX. With their cutbacks, and AA's expansion its become pretty even.

as739x

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:30 am

Yes, UALAX we do fly Ixtapa. You named them all from LAX. Look for the possibility og Oaxca,MX:San Jose,CR: and Belixe City,BZ. All rumors I have heard in the last 6 month. Also I had heard QX filed for Monterey,MX but that was over 1 year ago. Keep ya posted.
ASSFO

ContinentalEWR

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:39 am

UA does not fly LAX-CDG. They used to, but dropped it.

ContinentalEWR

UALAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:51 am

ASSFO: Belize City, Oaxaca and Costa Rica sounds awesome. I think Alaska could definitely make a go of those routes, especially with the the feed provided by the AA codeshare. I can imagine it will get awfully crowded in T-3! Thanks!

UALAX

aaway

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:05 am

UA had a pretty impressive roster of int'l destinations from LAX at one point:
TYO
KIX
SYD
AA), New Zealand">AKL
MEX
UA / MGGT), Guatemala">GUA
SAL
LHR
CDG
...better stop this. This looks too much like the work of LHR001  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
NW had a nice bevy of int'l to/from LAX in the mid 90s.

As739x,
Congrats to you guys for having the most int'l routes by a domestic carrier at LAX!!! Interesting route rumors for AS LAX - Central America. Looks like the international hotspot for 2004. AA was scheduled to commence LAX - SJO this spring, but was shelved. No rumors, but I suspect AA will cast a futher glance in that direction from LAX before the years out.

UALAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:17 am

AAway-don't forget Melbourne, Vancouver and Hong Kong (I think I got LHR001 beat haha)

UALAX

Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:02 pm

NW had a nice bevy of int'l to/from LAX in the mid 90s.

I believe they served Tokyo, Osaka and Seoul in the mid-90s... Seoul was dropped in the 1997-1998 timeframe (maybe a little earlier) and Osaka in late 2001 (service was announced to terminate in late October, but didn't not re-inaugurate after 9-11). Sydney was served up to 3x a week in the early 1990s...

Were there any other destinations? I recall TPE being planned at one time...

DL was flies out of LAX to NRT, KIX and after about with KE codeshare was suspended with DL to SEL before and did not come back with their Delta flight.

Scotty, can you please clarify your statement?  Smile DL served NRT and NGO from LAX, but dropped the flights shortly after 9-11... the airline has never served KIX (they scrapped PDX-KIX before the first flight ever departed).

flyingdoctorwu

Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:26 pm

Not SFO or LAX but AA used to fly SJC-TPE and SJC-CDG. I really never knew why, i just know that one time I was at TPE getting ready to board a NW flight to KIX when I noticed that AA had San Jose up on the board- and that really confused me... to this day it still does. I don't know much about that service but apparently it wasn't too popular and was canceled pretty quickly.

Chris

Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:43 pm

FlyingDoctorWu,

AA had a decent-sized hub (inherited from RenoAir) at SJC in the late 1990s...

aaway

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:01 pm

IP,
Do you recall NW briefly had n/s LAX - MNL during the 1991 - 1993 (Sorry, don't recall exactly) timeframe?

DeltaGuy

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:38 pm

Decode? I understand the first part..but at the KE thing, I'm a lil confused...unscramble please.
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:47 pm

Aaway,
I’m compiling a listing of dropped NW transoceanic routes from the 1980s/1990s, so this information is greatly appreciated (I had most of the timetables, but like an idiot I tossed them all out a few years ago).

No, I don’t recall NW serving LAX-MNL nonstop (but I was young in that timeframe!)… I know that JFK-NRT and SEA-HKG were a stretch for the JT9D-7R4GW-powered B742, so it seems only feasible that this route would’ve been operated with a B744… and it doesn’t seem like NW had the B744 to spare (they only had 10 of them until 1999) to operate it… I know they’ve served MNL from NRT, ITM/KIX, NGO, SEL and TPE… NW1 often (as it does now) routes LAX-NRT-MNL, so maybe that caused confusion… but like I said, I don’t know  Smile.

Somebody else once suggested they served LAX-HKG nonstop, but I’m confident they didn’t. Again, this would be a B744 route, so it would’ve only been operated in the 1990s… do your recall it?

Thanks again!

[Edited 2004-03-09 08:49:37]

bobnwa

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:37 pm

Northwest never served LAX-MNL non-stop, or any other US city non-stop to MNL.

aaway

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:45 am

Bobnwa,
I imagine you're an NWA employee. Of course you'd know more about NWA than I. But I do recall LAX - MNL n/s on NW. Now maybe my timeframe is incorrect. As Industrial Patent suggests, NW didn't have a lot of spare 744s during the period I mentioned. I'd suggest this route was flown a late as 1994/1995. But I do recall the flight. It was operated for only a 30 day period - that's an approximation.
I'll have to search through my old NW timetables and old OAGs from the 90s to see if I can find the flight. If I do I'll post.
If I'm wrong I'll post.

IP,
NW didn't fly the LAX - HKG run n/s.

ord

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:44 am

Don't forget the six Mexican cities Delta used to fly to nonstop that they picked up from Western:

1. Mexico City (still flying)
2. Guadalajara (still flying)
3. Puerto Vallarta
4. Acapulco
5. Ixtapa
6. Mazatlan

And I believe Delta used to serve Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton, also picked up from Western but not served anymore.

warren747sp

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:29 am

NW Used to fly LAX-TPE 3 times a week but could not sustain it with heavy competition from CI, BR, SQ, MH.
AA use to fly SJC-TPE but could not fill their flight and had to drop it with established carriers dropping their price on SFO-TPE route during that time.
The NW route to Manila was via Seoul at one time and Osaka another and now it is via AA), Japan">NRT.
747SP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos