Topic Author

Airline Policy On Not Using Part Of Itiniary

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:04 am

I am planning to go from London to New York in August. However, airfares for non stop are about GBP 500 with either UA, BA or VS. However, if I were to book the ticket BRU to LHR to JFK on bmi and United the price is only GBP 230, and the segment LHR JFK LHR would be the same as booking the GBP 500 rtn from LHR to JFK.

If I were not to use the BRU to LHR to BRU on the bmi part of the ticket, will the United part of the itiniary still be valid.

What are there policies on not using part of the ticket?

Any advice would be appreciated.

RE: Airline Policy On Not Using Part Of Itiniary

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:08 am

If it were one airline you would certainly have to originate in BRU to be able to take the LHR-JFK flight. Given they are Star partners I guess UA will probably be able to see that you didn't take the BRU-LHR flight and could deny boarding. My advice would be to get a cheap one way flight to BRU for the outbound, take the BMI flight and on the inbound just take hand luggage (if you can) and get off at Heathrow.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:10 am

I had a similar problem and contacted the Airline. They remarked it in the Computer and it was OK then
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:12 am

Not sure about the policies of UA, but on NW if you miss part of your flight, your itnerary is cancelled out. People who fly on us into toledo will get off in DTW not finish the leg into Toledo. Their itnerary is cancelled. When they asked why we cannot just put them into the system right there, we just tell them that they were contracted to fly through to Toledo not get off in DTW. Reservations has to rebook them and then they are allowed through to their final destination.

[Edited 2004-03-09 00:13:35]
Look ma' no hands!

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:34 am

Here's the deal as I last remember it. If you mis the first leg your ticket is void (your reservations stay, but in order to board in LHR you'll have to pay the original LHRJFK fare.

BUT: An eticket shows you missed the flight (NS). If I remember correctly if you have a paper ticket, you can simply rip out the BRULHR segment (as if you borded a BRULHR flight) and everyone will be just dandy. The CS agents simply assume you boarded the BRU flight.

This is how it used to be at least. Perhaps new technology has made this trick obsolete. Either way it was a great trick.
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

RE: Airline Policy On Not Using Part Of Itinerary

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:48 am

Simply not using a portion of your ticket completely invalidates the entire ticket, and in most cases will automatically cancel the entire reservation and render the ticket unusable. An airline ticket is a contract, and the fare you've agreed to pay for your ticket does come with specific rules. If those rules are compromised, that ticket (and/or contract) is now null and void.

I see it all the time. Passengers will purchase priceline tickets, and/or round-trip ticket when indeed the only need a one-way. they do this to save a few dollars, however, when they fail to show up for each flight segment, that ticket is then void, and they wind up having to pay more.

Its also illegal to simply not use a portion of your ticket (without canceling it ahead of time and paying the fare difference and/or change fee), again, since this is a legally binding contract between the airline and passenger.

Its funny, passengers always seem to "remind" the airline of their contractual duty to compensate them when their is an extensive delay, etc., however, they then complain when the airline in turn enforces ticketing rules.

P.S. International tickets are normally even more strict when it comes to not using a portion of your ticket. Not a good idea to fool around with those.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.