FMAL
Topic Author

Varig's LCC Carrier

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:13 am

O Globo newspaper here in Rio reported today that Varig has plans for a LCC carrier. The company would carry the Varig brand but would be run independently from the main company. They said the same might already be chosen, "VarigPop". This report included interviews with two Varig vice-presidents (operations and commercial).

VarigPop is not a done deal yet. Varig is still studying the market and is yet to make a final decision. But the plans exist.

NIKV69

RE: Varig's LCC Carrier

Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:25 pm

Very interesting, wish they could have discount route from GRU-JFK on a Boeing wide body, that would make my life so much easier!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

EMBTucano

Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:52 pm

Any thoughts in how would be a VarigPop livery??

cheers
---- Use GNU/LINUX and be free! ----

FMAL
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:33 am

They're not even sure if the company will actually exist. Should the plans be carried out, the livery will have references to Varig for sure.

santosdumont

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:25 am

This is one of those random word association posts.

Well, since the LCC would be named VarigPop, maybe RG could get former model Luciana Gimenez to be part of the marketing campaign; she hosts a late-night show on Brazilian TV called "SuperPop."

If her name doesn't ring a bell, she gave Mick Jagger his latest (and we all pray, his last) love child back in the late 1990s. She's not the brightest chick in the world, but I guess she doesn't have to worry about pinching pennies anytime soon.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

Brasuca

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:21 am

Santosdumont, ahahahah, out of humour... lol

welll... Varig is seen as a very traditional airline. It would be MUCH MUCH easier if they changed their subsidiary companies Rio-Sul or Nordeste into Law Cost flights instead of launching a new airline.
I do believe they would do well. Brazilian LCCs are not really LCCs. They've only got a bit lawer fares than the other two major's got. It is to be considered that VASP is not a LCC but follows GOL's prices.
Varig, Varig, Varig

FMAL
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:32 am

I agree with Brasuca (I remember a TV Pirata sketch with Brazuca, the Brazilian F-1 team! hehehehe). Gol is not really a LCC. It has lower prices then the competition, but its still expensive for the average Brazilian.

I don't think that making Rio Sul into a LCC would be successful. Rio Sul spent years creating an image of great service for the business traveler, to all of a sudden become a LCC can be very hard from a Marketing point of view. Best thing is, should the LCC plan happen, is to create a new airline and lease 737-300s to it.

But the name "VarigPop" is dubious......

NIKV69

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:55 am

Now I remember why I am engaged to a Brazilian woman! They are by far the most beautiful in the world!  Wow!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

TR763

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:27 am

Santosdumont
hahaha! funny !! If Luciana do the maketing campaign, she would attract lots of new costumers to the new airline!
It would be very nice to have a Varig LCC carrier!
But I think that this name is not very good! I don´t know, it seems to be something childish like "variguinho".
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

s.p.a.s.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:40 am

Geezz SantosDumont...

Luciana Gimenez show sucks.. actually she is the brunette version of Galisteu hehehehe

Back to VarigPop...

The name is not that bad, but is not something that will catch your mind.. Most of the LCCs which originated from mainline companies, not only have short and also easy to remember names, but also names which rarely revert to the original company.. IA. Song/Delta, snowflake/SAS and so on.

I just pray they don't take the united road.. Go figure: Rig LCC he

And, would that really be the right time to start another company on an already big company?

On a side note, rumour among the industry is that Gol might get some(6 to 7) 737-300 as Boeing has no new NG frames available for a short term delivery.

Aquele abraço

RS
"ad astra per aspera"