AirframeAS
Topic Author

Aircraft Strobes At Nighttime.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 am

I got to ask this....at night time, you know how the anti-collision (red lights) and wing strobe lights flash. Well, tonight Ive seen countless HP aircraft and WN aircraft on approach that have the anti-collision lights flashing but not the white winglight strobe. Why is this? Some sort of safety procedure?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MD11LuxuryLinr

RE: Aircraft Strobes At Nighttime.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:55 am

It's more of a safety precaution to have the white strobes switched on during takeoff, inflight, and during approach, not off. The red beacon lights should be always on from the time the plane leaves the gate to when it arrives at another. Most pilots do use the white strobes all the time, very few actually switch them off once they are on, especially at night. Though, I have seen aircraft not using the white strobes during daylight hours, in clear sunny conditions, which is when they are least effective. The only thing I can suggest in your case is simply coincidence.  Smile
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

AA7771stClass

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:57 am

The Tech/Op people would probably back me up in saying that the circumstances didn't favor using the strobes. Often times in clouds or fog, they hinder rather than help as they bounce off and can have potentially blinding effects on the flight crew. It might help on clear nights in the terminal area but it can also cause trouble if the flight crew doesn't like the weather around them...

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:03 pm

What I mean is that the white strobes are off during landing at night time in CLEAR weather conditions and I was asking why the pilots never bother to turn on the white strobes. I can understand why they could be kept off during the day (except for the red anti-collision lights which is mandatory per F.A.R.) which would be useless.

(Edited part: I ment to say in my first post.....In PHX this happens alot.)

[Edited 2004-03-09 04:04:50]

AJ

Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:29 pm

Not all aircraft are fitted with strobes, older types in particular.

When strobes are fitted the aircraft can be flown on an MEL for unserviceable units.

Our SOPs call for the strobes to be on at all times inflight or on an active runway. Some operators (Kendell was one) call for the strobes to go off above 10000' to preserve strobing pack life.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:54 pm

I know some NW DC9s have these weird light swingers on the wingtips, what are those called?

je89_w
Crew

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:49 pm

Any Airbus/McDonnell Douglas DC-10/MD-11 aircraft (never noticed on A300/A310 though) have their wing lights flicker twice in a row, where as for Boeing aircraft, only once.

Airbus' red anti-collision lights flicker more frequently than Boeing's from what I've noticed.

I don't know if it was me, but I remember going on a UA B772 where the pilot switched off the red anti-collision lights at night, and left the wing lights flickering.

LHcapt2007

Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:02 pm

Save our vision: turn off the strobes while taxiing at night but if you have em, use em in the air (except IMC). Reflections off buildings/objects on the ground, especially in the terminal area at night, can be quite annoying for everyone. It seems that most airlines have a great practice of turning those recog lights off b4 takeoff and after landing at night: Watch planes that are in line for takeoff, most lights are off for the courtesy of landing planes until it is time to put the petal to the metal.
With so many lights already on during approach, especially on clear nights where it is much easier to see, it would seem that most pilots(looking for this traffic w/o their strobes on) would have no trouble spotting these big boys anyway; I'm more worried about the little guys...
Skyharbor is beautiful, how bout those hot temps the other day?
TNCM

SV777KiloAlpha

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:16 pm

I have noticed that many airlines do the following:

1. During taxi: Anti-collision lights (red)
2. Entering the active : Anti-collision + Strobes + landing lights
3. Passing 10,000ft: All off except, Strobes

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

LHcapt2007

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:28 pm

hopefully they left the nav lights(green + red on wtips) on so other traffic can tell which direction they're heading? Or did u mean strobes including the nav lights(position lights). Smile/happy/getting dizzy
LHcapt2007

TNCM

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:30 am

Nav lights stay on except on RONs. Its obvious to keep them on during the course of the operation of the airplane for safety reasons.

Airbus/McDonnell Douglas DC-10/MD-11 aircraft (never noticed on A300/A310 though) have their wing lights flicker twice in a row, where as for Boeing aircraft, only once.

The A320 family has TWO white strobes in each side of the wing. I found this out by watching very closely when an HP A320 left its wing strobes on at the gate one day. Theres two lights positioned next each other that gives a impression that the lights flicker twice with one strobe, it really doesn't. As for the MD aircraft, I dont know about how they set up their white wing strobe lights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos