Spike
Topic Author

Myth of Male Flight Attendants

Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:45 pm

As this forum seems to have a high count of flight attendants participating, perhaps you could clarify or dispell the myth of male flight attendants 'always' being gay. What percentage would you say are? Is is more common in the US or Europe to be a gay FA?
Not that it matters eitherway to me, just wondering...

FA4UA

Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:56 pm

yes... In my experience I'd say 90% of Male FA's are gay at UA. The remaining 9% of the male FA population goes out of their way to prove their "straightness" by hitting relentlessly on women or talking about sports to drive home the fact that they are straight. The last 1% are the secure type who are genuinely nice to everyone and have nothing to prove. They're the best!

As I've flown other Carriers: Virgin Atlantic, All Nippon, US Airways, Delta and American... I'd say that an overwhelming majority of the men are also gay with these carriers, but that's just my limited experience.

Gay Men have a natural talent for attention to detail and being a good, warm host, which is what the carriers look for when hiring.

FA4UA

(Shout out to you Gordo!)
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

artsyman

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:00 pm

Continental is roughly 50/50 in HTA/HOS, cant speak for domestic these days or EWR Based crews

J

Spike
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:10 pm

Good point FA4UA, hence the Queer Eye for Staright Guy detailing on TV.

COAB767

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:43 pm

I am a F/A. I'm BI. So there's also Bi-sexual F/A's as well
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:50 pm

Continental is roughly 50/50

I am a F/A. I'm BI. So there's also Bi-sexual F/A's as well

i guess that was pretty accurate then. Big grin

Rob

SEAPete

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:58 pm

I've been generally really happy with the service I have had from the the F/A's on the flights I've had. I really don't care if they are gay or from another planet so long as they have decent customer service skills.
SEA No other place like it

ACEregular

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:46 pm

Who gives a s**t what sexuality your F/A is, it's nothing to do with anyone apart from them or thier partner. If thats all passengers wonder when they see a male F/A onboard and by the way I am straight, then that passenger is a little sad. Or perhaps curious LOL.

Jacobcal

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:21 pm

I would have to agree with Artsyman. I am based in HTA (Houston International) and it seems that the base is about 50/50. People don't really seem to care who is straight, gay or bi as long as they get the job done. I however find it extremely embarrassing flying with guys who are very feminine. I am gay but most wouldn't know that.

JacobCAL

COAB767

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:49 pm

JacobCAL
I take it you fly for CO? What are favorite routes to fly. I work for Continental Micronesia. Let's Chat sometime

Brandon
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

aa777223er

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:36 am

I'd guess AA is about 80/20 (G/S) or so. Funny story from when I was new: I was flying DFW-OKC on a 727, 29 minute flying time to do a full liquor/beverage service for 150 PAX. We were rushing needless to say and this PAX with his big slow southern drawl asks me "I know they call the girls Stewardess, what do they call you?" I smiled and said "Stewardess"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
time flies, seize the day

Spike
Topic Author

RE: Myth Of Male Flight Attendants

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:13 am

Thanks guys. You proved it.

NIKV69

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:18 am

I would have to say that 90% is not really true. That is a stereotype. I would estimate roughly half or maybe just a little less than half. I would also venture to say some of them are Bi-sexual. Who cares. They do their job well is the only thing I care about. CO's FAs do a great job and if they indulge in sex with each other or with men or whatever. Leave it in the bedroom, or hotel room for all you FAs.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

sevenair

FAs

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:18 am

well, i am gay, and always oggle @ the FAs, gay or not! But i do agree, a lot of FAs are gay. But its not the gayest-try fashion retail and health n beauty!

nwacrew

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:26 am

I think the 50/50 ratio may well apply as well at Northwest, and I agree with FA4UA that some of the straight guys have an obsession with letting everyone know they are NOT GAY. Frequently their heterosxuality is all too apparent; BAD haircut; nicked face from shaving in a hurry;un-ironed uniform shirt; collar button undone; necktie yanked down; slacks that are too short/long/baggy/in need of dry-cleaning; scuffed shoes; and a total lack of interest in trying to see that a service is done as nicely for the passengers as possible. (Serving meals and drinks cuts into the time they can hit on women in the cabin.) They're also only temporarily in cabin service while working towards their manly pilot's rating - even though they have 14 years seniority...

Then there are the really gorgeous, totally pulled-together straight guys (whom both the gays, and the girls, are in awe of), who are so supremely confident about themselves that they have nothing to prove to anyone, and treat the gay guys just like regular buddies. As it should be.These guys are hard-working and friendly to everybody.

I'm generalizing like crazy, of course. But I've flown for 5 different airlines over the past 30 years, so I've had the opportunity to observe a great many flight attendants.

P.S. My partner's brother is a flight attendant for British Airways, and says gays are very much the minority at BA. I do think European airlines tend to employ more heterosexual men in the cabin. What do you guys flying in Europe think? Am I off-base here?

UwoAviation

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:33 am

On a short hop AC flight from YXU-YYZ, the male F/A wouldn't stop staring at my shoes and asking me questions about them.

Josh

JAL777

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:39 am

Of all the male F/A's that I personally know (about 7) none of them are gay.

Or so they say.  Big grin

RJNUT

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:42 am

I have observed that most of Southwest's male FA's appear straight..not many gays.. I dont think the goofy and corny in-flight culture(i do like WN BTW) appeals to the gay psyche as much as the legacy carriers' willlingness to allow them to be bitchy and hauty .

OK flame me starting.... NOW!

ual747den

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:57 am

All these comments are so funny! It seems that when I fly on F9 to and from RSW there is always the same FA on board. I think he really likes me, he always gives me free TV, free drinks, talks to me throughout the entire flight, and has even given me cash and TV vouchers. I feel kind of weird with him checkin me out the whole time but hey he is very nice and does his job well. I have thought about giving him my number to go have some drinks or play cards (he tells me that he loves to do that) but im scared he'll think Im gay too! Yeah so anyways I think its about 50/50 but don't matter to me as long as they do their job, however I am very pleased when I get a hot young female FA to flirt with. (and get non rev tickets from!)

Its hard being gorges!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

khushdesi

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:02 am

ual747den, it must also be hard not to know how to spell gorgeous.  Smile

i agree about southwest- i fly them all the time and their f/as are usually straight and older than other carriers.

CRFLY

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:10 am

OMG not his topic again... Lesbian ramp agents, Gay F/A, bisexual pilots, who cares???
With Age comes Wisdom...

Lucky727

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:11 am

UAL747DEN : you just gave away your *obvious* heterosexuality with your spelling of "gorges" (!?)

and p.s. "free TV, free drinks, talks to me throughout the entire flight, and has even given me cash and TV vouchers. I feel kind of weird with him checkin me out the whole time but hey he is very nice and does his job well. I have thought about giving him my number to go have some drinks or play cards (he tells me that he loves to do that)" ...make sure he only wants to drink & play cards - you're a sitting duck, all of 21 and cute in 14A  Big thumbs up

cheers, Lucky
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

Greg

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:16 am

99.999999% gay--or just don't know it yet. I can't think of a straight dude that would want to be a stewardess. But it's fine, I think the male f/a's are generally better in customer serivice and more willing to make small talk on longer flights.

But, it's not the type of job straight men would gravitate to (oh Dad...I wanna be a flight attendant!!!)...and yes that does sound a bit sexist..but it's true. Try finding a straight male manicurist!

N743AS

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:19 am

its not a myth...its a fact
If the airplane is one piece, don't cheat on it...ride the bastard down! -Ernest K. Ghann

RJNUT

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:54 am

just like the famous comedian, Judy Tenuta has said,!

" A good hard prison sentence could turn any man gay, but most flight attendants she has seen would only require a parking ticket"

jcs17

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:04 am

But, it's not the type of job straight men would gravitate to (oh Dad...I wanna be a flight attendant!!!)...and yes that does sound a bit sexist..but it's true. Try finding a straight male manicurist!

If for whatever reason college falls through (which I highly doubt it will), I would consider becoming a flight attendant. It beats the hell out of any other job you could get with only a high-school degree, lots of travel and you're around planes all the time.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

MidnightMike

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:11 am

COAB767

Bi Sexual, as Robin Williams, said you have a better chance of getting laid on a Friday night than us Uni Sexual folks, & with the airlines on layover, oh baby.

NO URLS in signature

sk945

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:12 am

Its hard to give a figure, but I guess its more common among F/A than in other groups, but as many has said before. Who cares?

sevenair

Gays

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:23 am

Its defo common in FAs. but as I said, retail has a lot of gays. I just got a letter published in IKEAs employee magazine about being gay in the workforce; a load of gays work there!

airNondo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:32 am

This is all very entertaining and interesting too. but I would have to agree with CRFLY---not again.
So what's with the bi pilot stereotype?

Leneld

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:32 am

This forum is so funny sometime! Here are my two cents. Most of my male friends who are flight attendants for Delta and Alaska Airlines living here in Portland are gay. I don't know why. That is just the way it is. Maybe it has alot to do with the fact that being a flight attendant require you to be away for a certian amount of time and this life style is difficult for straight families with children. On another note does anyone know if planes are filling up gays travelling to Portland wanting to get married? Sometime i really love this city!

vulindlela744

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:33 am

Well, I have a friend who is a pilot for AA and 100% gay. His partner is a F/A with AA as well. Unfortunately, up front it's still very much a macho kinda of job so gay pilots can't be too open. That's sad because my friend is passionate about his job and I'm sure is as good a pilot as any.

AMSMAN

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:37 am

Interesting question, I've wondered why that is myself.
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Leneld

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:43 am

Oh I forgot to mention that my partner, who happens to be Italian, flies international out of JFK with Delta and he's gay ofcourse! So I guess there is a little truth to that myth..

MD88Captain

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:46 am

At DAL the male FA's are mostly gay. Probably 75% if I had to guess. The staright guys are funny. They break your hand when shaking hands and then show you pictures of their kids.

777D

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:48 am

I heard about 70% of the male population is gay. These guys that are light in the loafers are the same guys that is going to save my ass if there is an emergency. I really do not care if they are gay, but those gay FA's know alot of sexy women that fly and if you have a friend that is gay and a FA, he can introduce you to the gorgeous ladies of flying.

GoAibusGo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:53 am

I'm a F/A and a straight one. And yes most male F/As are gay or bi-sexual.
I flew for several companies and at all these companies most male F/As were gay.

Don't get me wrong, but gays are fun to work with (well most of them!)

rockyracoon

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:54 am

I'd definitely consider it, as well, if other things fall through. For someone who loves avaition and travel, it'd be right up a straight man's alley if they weren't hesitant to be labelled gay.

peace

Greg

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:04 am

AA76744....I date a little higher up the food chain than F/A's! Although I do have two close (very gay) friends who work for Continental as F/A's. They are the first to agree with most my comments. But I usually date guys that have professional career positions (those would be positions where you do something different every few years as you enlarge your knowledge---not serve the same coke and peanuts for twenty years). A recent slip in the last year was a particular hockey player.

And I'm not being negative at all. If you read my post, it says simply:

a. they are likely gay (regardless of what they want you to believe).
b. the men....gay or not...make better attendants (see, a compliment)

If you're pissed because I said stewardess...you're right...it was suppose to say steward/ess.

Now, what was your problem, again?

AirT85

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:08 am

I'm a straight guy who wants to become a flight attendant. I love to serve people, I love to travel and I love to be around airplanes so its the perfect fit. Being a pilot is too much schooling for me, and also doesn't allow me the time to interact with people (something I love to do). Whenever someone asks me what I want to do when I graduate college I have no problem telling them I want to be a flight attendant. And when they give me that funny look-I figure the fault lies with them. I can't help stereotypes...just the way I react to them. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself.

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

GoAibusGo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:17 am

AirT85

Good for you.
It is a fun job, you will like it.

RJNUT

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:19 am

ok Greg,

who is the particular hockey player...come on , tell!

Do we get an outing right here on airliners.net..

Kidding, but I wouldnt think a hockey player would be a "slip".. Have you lost your mind?

blueskies31

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:38 am

Hi all...as a F/A for Alaska, I can say with confidence that there are, indeed, some very straight F/A's out there. As was mentioned prior, one can usually tell they're straight by their lack of customer service skills, as well as the shabby condition of their uniform. Also, I can't help but respond to Greg's comments regarding us 'stewardesses'. For the record, there are many flight attendants out there who, after closer inspection, would qualify as 'higher up the food chain'...not that it matters. IMHO, how one makes his/her income does not define that person...it is one tiny facet (and a fairly superficial one at that), much like one's sexual orientation. At least here at Alaska, there are a large number of us with college degrees....many with their master's and some with doctorates. At our small ANC base alone (roughly 260 F/A's), we have two clinical psyhologists, two nurse practioners(sp?), several R.N.'s, and a myriad of others who have lives outside the metal tube. I know in SEA, there is one M.D. who is a F/A for us, and we have an attorney as well. In addition to these "top of the food chain" folks, many of us do other things. Some teach, some own businesses, some, like myself, freelance (graphic design)...and some just have rich husbands. Many take advantage of the flexible schedules to take classes or work on degrees. For a lot of us, this job is a ticket to extreme flexibility (I only fly 2 days/week typically...PSP layovers at the Hyatt? ORD layovers at the 'W'? LAX layovers at the Westin?), great flight benefits, health insurance, 401k, and a chance to do what many of us do best...take care of gems like yourself. But I won't get into all that here...that's what galleys are for. So while the job itself isn't as intellectually stimulating, perhaps, as whatever it is that you do...I would venture to guess that it is a lot more emotionally draining. Being nice all day is HARD work. Sorry for getting off on a tangent.
a young boy on a farm looks up at a jet flying overhead, and dreams of far away places...a businessman on the jet looks

WindowSeat

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:56 am

Well said, Blueskies31, you just made my respected users list.

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

CPDC10-30

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:29 am

I date a little higher up the food chain than F/A's!

Well, feast all you want higher on the scale and spare the rest of us. I am sure all the decent guys would start running as soon as that smelly attitude of yours hits them. No wonder you haven't found commitment yet.

Anyways, back to the main topic. at least in my experience I would say it is somewhere between 50-75 % gay male f/a's in Canada. With the ex-CP guys though, I think we are getting up into the 90s  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

blueskies31

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:30 am

Thanks Windowseat...though I HATE defending my choice of career! For the record as well, I am HUGE aviation junkie, and so being around airplanes is a thrill all by itself. Also, realize that I was a little harsh in my statement concerning straight male flight attendants. I had meant to write more on the subject, but got off on that tangent. Not all straight male F/A's are slobs...there are many who are top notch. As with anything, there are those few bad apples who stand out like a sore thumb and further their own stereotype. I should practice the golden rule here...I won't stereotype them if they don't stereotype me  Big grin
a young boy on a farm looks up at a jet flying overhead, and dreams of far away places...a businessman on the jet looks

ultrapig

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:45 am

Remember the flight attendant on the movie Airplane who said "Put your head between your legs----no Mr. ____ your own legs!"

I think this thread has gone far enough-to paraphrase Al Sharpton I don't care who the flight attendant goes to bed with at night as long as he/she (or any combination thereof) does her/ his job in the morning!

Its time to leave our friends who started this one behind!

VC745D

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:58 am

I date a little higher up the food chain than F/A's! Although I do have two close (very gay) friends who work for Continental as F/A's.

You're entitled to your opinion. But don't forget that in the opinion of many, it doesn't get much lower than a lawyer. (I have a law degree--I've seen you up close.) These "close", "very" gay friends you think you have--your tag line, "helping others is never more rewarding than when it[']s in your own self interest"--you paint yourself as a very lonely man, or certainly with the potential to be one. I wonder--how confident you are without the filter of the internet? (Are you even a lawyer?)

JAFA

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:59 am

Labeling str8 guys as messy and sloppy is a form of stereotyping. This is a dumb topic that has been discussed several times. Who cares what anyone does/doesn't do in thier bedrooms. It doesn't concern aviation or airplanes. Yes I am gay and I am working on a college degree, although I don't have any plans to quit flying once I get the degree.

boo25

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:33 am

In the UK, i would say the stewards are 60-70% gay, 30-40% straight at BA/VS.

I have operated a VS flight with 11 straight stewards, 2gay & 3 girls!!!
The girls came out with us gay lads to be safe!!!

I have also operated a 763 with 11 gay stewards . . poor flight crew, they didnt want a thing (for once Big grin Big grin ) !!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos