jmhLUV2fly

How Long Does It Take To...

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:33 pm

A little question for those who may be familiar with the contruction process of an airplane.
On average, how long does it take to build an airplane from beginning to end? From the time the parts arrive on site to the time the airplane rolls out of the paint shop.
I realize the bigger airplanes, take longer to build, but for those people who may be familier with Boeing's contruction process.....AirTran is scheduled to take delivery of its first
737-700 in June, I was just wondering if anyone knew if maybe this bird had begun to be assembled etc and on average how long it takes to put these baby Boeing's together.
JMH

RE: How Long Does It Take To...

Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:42 pm

I am not sure when the big three Mitsubishi, Kawasaki and Fuji (or our other suppliers) start production of their sections of the airplane, but once the body sections hit J&I (join and installation) I think it takes roughly 8 days to get through final assy. Then you of course have pre flight at Renton Field, B1 flight when it travels to BFI, and B2 (if necessary) and C flights at BFI prior to delivery. If I'm off on the 8 sorry. I used to know when I was in Final, but I don't see it anymore.