mikesairways

B6--Whats AA To Do?

Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:11 am

Well, now that B6 is invading another one of AA's key cities, SJC what do you think they are going to do? While I am excited to see Jetblue coming here, does anyone think that AA will do something extreme like they did with LGB or ONT like dropping fares ridiculously low again. Will AA add more SJC-JFK flights or even go so far to upgrade the aircraft again. Its going to be a war at SJC. I'm exctited yet scared at the same time. When WN and QQ came, AA basically up and left...I hope that doesnt happen again.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

Carfield

RE: B6--Whats AA To Do?

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:05 am

Well, I guess AA will possibly add some promotions, such as bonus miles and match Jetblue flights. As of this point, B6 is only running one daily flight, so there is not much threat... but I will not be surprised if AA will adjust the schedule of one of the flights to add a redeye flight form SJC to JFK (currently, there is no redeye SJC to JFK)... but adding a third flight is possible... for now, we will have to wait and see.

Carfield

richierich

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:08 am

I agree with Carfied - AA will "magically" discover that they need a redeye JFK-SJC.

I am curious if the addition of new service from SJC and SMF will affect JetBlue's OAK flights. I realize that all three cities are different markets, but there is definitely some overlap there, especially when you are attracting people with low fares.
None shall pass!!!!

jetbluefan1

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:23 am

I am curious if the addition of new service from SJC and SMF will affect JetBlue's OAK flights. I realize that all three cities are different markets, but there is definitely some overlap there, especially when you are attracting people with low fares.

I too was curious about that. But I've heard that the loads have been very high on the route, so hopefully some of the new flights will help relieve that high load.

As far as AA doing something about B6, I really don't know what else they can do. Every single other attempt to do something about JetBlue has failed. There really is nothing else that AA can do other than add flights, lower fares, and offer more promotions. But as long as JetBlue is expanding out of NYC (where they have a very large loyalty base), AA is going to have a tough time competing.

It's funny that American flies almost every single route JetBlue flies. I don't think that JetBlue is specifically targeting AA, but JetBlue is the type of airline to jump on a market where you can make a lot of money, despite the competition (JFK-OAK, BOS-LGB, JFK-SJU, etc.).

I really do hope that there is no loser in the situation. I do hope that both JetBlue and American can be winners at this, but we all know that airlines can be stuborn and greedy.

JetBluefan1

qqflyboy

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 am

AA has ran red-eyes in the past from SJC to JFK, and what a great excuse to add one to the summer schedule. Who knows, maybe it was already planned. Maybe someone at SJC can tell us the regularity to which the red-eyes to JFK have operated in the past. I used to be based there, and we had the red-eye then, but I don't know when AA last operated it.

For whatever reason, AA has dropped a lot of it's red-eyes over the past year. Doesn't make sense to me.

Example: LAS-ORD, LAS-STL, SEA-ORD, SEA-STL, SJC-BOS just to name a few. I know there are more out there.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Midway2AirTran

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:40 am

Chapter 11 or 7 or one to the other, pick it for yourself.

Cheers Smile
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

AA787

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:44 am

Midway2airtran-umm...I don't think so.

AA787
ET In NYC

Mizzou65201

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:56 am

LAX-STL redeye also gone...though I think that and the other STL redeyes mentioned have been dropped more due to the de-hubbing of STL than anything else.