BestWestern
Topic Author

BA CEO Outlines What BA Stands For

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:26 am

At today’s British Airways investor conference the BA CEO outlined what BA stands for…

They are a:
* Networked
* British
* Airline
* That delivers Service that Matters
* To people who Value how they fly.

Networked (wide range of destinations, looked after all the way)
British (British values of professional, reliable, responsive, safe and secure)
Airline (Focused and expert - Not jack of all trades, master of none - think virgin group here)
That delivers service that matters (some frills, not too many frills – giving what matters most)
To people who value how they fly (providing a better quality service at a reasonable price - not the lowest cost - not interested in those who only shop on price)

You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Spike

RE: BA CEO Outlines What BA Stands For

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:30 am

I would just add the word Quality to sum it up.

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:31 am

Re: "giving what matters most"

BA never gave away a thing in its life. Make that "Selling what matters most".
And no mention of "grovelling to Gold FQTV's, any one who's been on the cover of Hello magazine, or who has a title".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:37 am

JPGH1A - As you work for a company that has been squeezed big time by BA - I know what you mean.. GDS's still give BA 72% of its revenue, and the company treats them like dirt...

But BA does give what values most - they have improved the whole airport process, and are about five years ahead of BD in this respect. Their aircraft are clean and comfortable, service - friendly and safe. In the conference they outlined their next steps to improving service, and it looks quite interesting.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

yyz717

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:38 am

I'm glad that "British" ranked highly. It's really their #1 attribute. This alone symbolizes efficiency, decency, safety & service, nor to mention the cultural aspects of "Britishness" that many travellers find appealing.

Needless to say, I'm still revolted by the failed "World Tails" experiment.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

JGPH1A

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:41 am

Bestwestern. Actually we do a bit better than most GDS out of BA - they are a 1A System User and do all their distribution via Amadeus (even third party bookings come via 1A first) - and we are building their new inventory and DCS systems too, for which we are getting nicely paid, ta very much.

Yes, not to slag BA off entirely, their product is good, especially stuff like self-service checkin, lounges etc - way way ahead of BD. Tried to use BD's new self-service machines at LHR, but the stupid thing spat my ticket out because check in only opens 2 hours before departure - how LAME is that ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Spike

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:51 am

They lost Concorde and are going to have to come up with something pretty good to keep them set apart (not even largest airline in Europe with KL/AF now). BA's product is hard beaten just because of its name (brand) and network.
Its long been a pionneer in all fields of airline management / marketing / service ops and simply sets the standards.
And I liked the World Tails (except the Polish one).

airxliban

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:20 am

the main carrier that I fly is BA and has been since 1990. My experiences with them have really been hit or miss, with the hit coming 99% of the time and the miss coming 1% of the time. 99% of the time, I enjoy my experiences with them but there are those rare, isolated occasions where they do something to piss me off. In general though, they have been good to me and that I wy I continue to fly oneworld I'm glad that they are thinking of ways to improve service though.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Spike

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:23 am

PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE

How cool is that? Respect.

BA

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:30 am

PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE

How cool is that? Respect.

Beirut is called the Paris of the Middle East and lately its been given the phrase Pearl of the Middle East.

Since it is called the Paris of the Middle East, that would make Paris the Beirut of Europe.

It goes both ways.  Smile

Getting back to the topic. I've never had any problems with BA. Once we were delayed one hour in LGW on LGW-DEN because the Omnia IFE was broken and they didn't want to leave until it was fixed. We arrived a little bit late, but made up most of the time. There were several who were connecting onto United Express to Aspen and Vail, they got worried that they'd miss their flight.

Other then that, BA has been flawless really. I really enjoy flying on them.

British Airways, KLM, and the former Swissair (have yet to fly on Swiss, probably not much different) are the top airlines in Europe in my experience.

Regards

[Edited 2004-03-11 18:34:41]
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

qantas777

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:32 am

Must say I love BA. Been flying from US to LHR since 1991 on them. I miss the old colours and the 747-100 fleet. I loved Derwent Water. I think that was the name.

World tails was so much fun, much better than the bland union jack tails they have now.

FlyCaledonian

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:01 am

So, an old BOAC advertsing slogan springs to mind - BOAC takes good care of you. Could be brought back to demonstrate those values. Of course though British Airways motto (From its coat of arms) would be equally appropriate: -

To Fly To Serve
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Sabena 690

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:05 am

In the conference they outlined their next steps to improving service, and it looks quite interesting.

About which steps are you talking?

Thanks
Frederic