ptica2000

Sabiha Gokcen Aiport

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:15 am

Hello!

Does anybody know what is the fate of Sabiha Gocken airport of Istanbul.

Why was it built? I can't see many airlines operating there.
What is to become of it if there is no traffic?

Thank's,
Nejc

[Edited 2004-03-11 22:16:39]

TurkishSky

RE: Sabiha Gokcen Aiport

Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:58 am

Sabiha Gokcen is the second airport on the Asian side of Istanbul.

I don't think it was really neessary to build a second airport in Istanbul. There are very few flights operating at the moment. Most of the flights are charters from mainly CIS. Germanwings is the only one operating regularly from CGN and STR.

Another one to start will be a Netherlands based Turkish company called Corendon. They start to fly from Eindhoven on March 19 on a daily basis.

Flown 4I 9U AA AB AF AZ BA BD BR CA CU CX EI FR HV JK JP JU KK KL KM LH LX MA ME MS NG OA OK QR OS RJ RO SA SK SQ SR SU

wing

RE: Sabiha Gokcen Aiport

Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:29 am

Sabiha Gökçen is one of the many unused and unnecesaryly built airports without making any kind of researches but solely with political reasons.Some people earned millions of dollars (which belongs to Turkish citizen's) by constracting these unnecessary and unused airports.But thats another story.Now They are trying to attract some low cost carriers which wants lower landing fees.It still stands as a big waste of hard earned money.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"