VS744

LHR To LAX..which Airline?

Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I've just booked flights from LHR-LAX-LHr with united in business class. This was because the company I work for has a deal with united.

How do they compare to BA and Virgin? i've flown virgin Upper before and was v.impressed but now im going with united...and on a 777 for the first time and wanted to know if they're good?

Thanks!

Qantasclub

RE: LHR To LAX..which Airline?

Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:10 pm

I would say that United definedtly runs a poor second to BA and VS which are both excellent and on par with each other. BA's beds are better (more comfortable) and their clubworld is a pretty solid, consistent performer. VS is fantastic; a much 'hipper' product-their upperclass is impressive, as you already know.
UA has the worst service (non-existent in most cases), and older product which is what you would expect with a tired beast of an airline still on the verge of bankruptcy. (the very fact that they have spent millions unveiling a new livery when the airline is desperately trying to cut costs and survive just goes to show you how out of touch they are with reality).
Long Haul is the only way to go

worldoftui

Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:37 pm

I have traveled with BA and UA in Club and I think that, in many respects, UA is the superior product.
Granted, the BA Terrace lounge at LHR is superb, whereas UA's lounges are famously spartan, or "minimalist"  Big grin

Where I think that UA beats BA is on board. I can't stand the new club world seats. Seemed narrower than UA's seats (although they do recline fully), and definitely felt a more crowded cabin. Didn't have much of a "club" feel at all really. The forwards / backwards seats thing basically seemed like a way to put more people in to the same space. Quite disappointing. Food with BA was good, as was United. Basically, the old BA seats were better IMHO. United's business product is a good one, and one which is now receiving constant enhancements.
Having done 100,000 miles in the last 2 years with UA, I can honestly say that I feel their service is friendly and genuine.

I think that the product will feel very different to Virgin. As Qantasclub said, they are a very "hip" product, something that cannot be said for UA (although it looks that they are trying for a fresher feel with their new image)

Not v experienced in flying up front. Just a few times here and there unfortunately. Just my opinion, but I think (and hope) you enjoy your flight with United.

Mark

tavve

Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:39 pm

I've only flown in tourist class VS LHR-LAX, BOS-LGW and UA LHR-ORD, ORD-LHR. My verdict: United ¤%&¤!!! Well, they were on time both ways and VS were on average 16 hours late but the service on UA is really lousy. I don't require much at all but it really sucked. VS was absolutely great.
GOT, that's where I live

ual747-600

Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:55 pm

AA and Air New Zealand also fly LAX-LHR non-stop.

UAL747-600

gilesdavies

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:59 am

I am flying US Airways LGW-PHL-LAX on Tuesday.

Will let you know how I get on.

Personally I couldn't sit for 11hrs on one flight, and like to change aircraft gives you a chance to stretch your legs and have a look around.

Paid £169 for our flight return inclusive of tax.

zrs70

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:29 am

As the ticket is in business, and I would immagine Full Fare, you can take it over to another *A carrier (NZ) and fly them in one direction. That way you will be able to try both.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Thrust

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:34 am

How is LAX-LHR nonstop on AA? What's the service like?
Fly one thing; Fly it well

nickofatlanta

Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Zrs70 -

Does not sound like it is full fare. Quote from original post, "This was because the company I work for has a deal with united." Thus, the ticket most probably can not be transferred to another Star carrier without suitable endorsement by UA.

If I had a choice on this route, I'd take NZ.

TBCITDG

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:28 pm

BAfor sure!!!!!!!!!
Why would you even think of flyinng any one else??

UALFAson

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:03 pm

I just flew UA C-class LAX-LHR-LAX two weeks ago.

The inflight service was pretty good--not exceptional, but very good. (I've flown BA too and their service isn't exactly anything to write home about, IMHO.) The food and wine were quite satisfactory and offered frequently. The seats were comfortable, you get a personal TV, and I'd rather fly a 777 anyway than the 747 you'd likely fly w/BA.

Your biggest advantage will be at check-in. At LAX, you'll be able to zippity-do-da right through Terminal 6 and be at your gate in minutes as opposed to dealing with the always chaotic Bradley Int'l Terminal that BA uses. At LHR, you'll likewise get through *A T3 fairly easily compared to BA's nightmare T4 (although I noticed the LAX flight is now out of T1).

I've never flown Virgin so I can't compare, but I think you will be quite pleased with UAL.

Enjoy your visit here to sunny SoCal!

(This is my first post. You should feel honored Big grin
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

nickofatlanta

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:27 pm

Terminal 3 at LHR is far more crowded than Terminal 4. The check-in area at Terminal 3 is a zoo at the best of times.

yyz717

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:34 pm

Terminal 3 at LHR is bad enough to turn anyone off flying AA, UA etc from LHR whatever class you're flying in.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ua777222

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:46 pm

I too am going to fly SFO-LAX-LHR united. I have not done this route before. Is there anything I should be worried about with my connection between SFO-LAX-SFO? I have about an hour and a half. I'm not too worried about the LAX-SFO but will I have enough time for my connection between SFO-LAX. Sorry if I turned the forum onto me  Smile

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

UALFAson

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:00 pm

Hmmm...when I checked in at T3 for LHR-LAX on a Monday morning, there was no line for UA business or economy. The flight wound up being close to full, though. AA's ticket counter was crowded, but there weren't really long lines at any of the airlines.

I can't imagine anything being worse than T4.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

VS744

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:12 pm

Cool, thanks! didnt xpect to get so many replies!

i'd always choose VS over any other Airline since im a silver flying club member and on the brink of making gold. I will no doubt enrol in the UA scheme now. What will I get for a return biz class seat from LHR to LAX? free european flight with BMi? or better?