yanksn4

Why Are Names On Aircraft Always In English?

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:29 am

I've always wondered why airlines from foreign countries have their name on their aircraft always in english. I mean airlines that don't fly to the United States or United Kingdom have english subtitles. Is this because English is the biggest language in the world? And if another language were to have more people speak it than english, would this mean airlines would have to change it to that language?
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

mrwayne

RE: Why Are Names On Aircraft Always In English?

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:31 am

English is the national language of the airline/aviation industry - ATC

Russophile

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:43 am

And if another language were to have more people speak it than english, would this mean airlines would have to change it to that language?

Not at all -- there are more Mandarin and Spanish speakers in the world than English -- although the gap between Spanish and English would surely be narrowing -- but would still be some 500 million people behind Mandarin.

English is the national language of the airline/aviation industry - ATC

Correction. English is a "national" language of the airline/aviation industry. There are several official languages of the ICAO, including Russian, French, Spanish and Arabic.

It would have more to do with English being the international language of business

keno

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:48 am

More people speak Mandarin on earth than English but the latter is the most globally understood language. Unless China one day becomes like the present-day US, we wont see any Chinese subtitles anytime soon, so English is here to stay. That's why even Chinese aircrafts have English subtitles, although the Chinese writings are more prominent. I love Aer Lingus and Lufthansa (& others) for not following the trend of naming their airlines in English (or partially English).

scbriml

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:49 am

Many non English airlines have titles in their national language on one side and English on the other. Some airlines have the airline name in their own language on the aircraft and English on the tail. There are many variations of this:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Brimley

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Sammyhostie

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:50 am

And the fact that they want our western money!

Russophile

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:50 am

I will add also, that I am aware that the ICAO has said that English will be the language of ATC -- however, the Russians are soon expected to introduce measures which will see all foreign airlines operating to Russia being required to have at least one Russian speaking crew member on board.

Horus

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:00 am

Most Arab airlines have the names in English and Arabic. Not sure if this is the case with other airlines.
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

keno

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:08 am

Unless the airline comes from a country where the national language (or principal foreign language) is either french / spanish / portuguese, the airline name subtitle will always be in English. And many carriers already has an English name already like MEA so even a subtitle is not needed.

Malaysia Airlines is known as "Penerbangan Malaysia" in Malay but this is only used during formal annoucements at the airport or in the aircraft. Even when speaking in Malay, nobody use the Malay name - we just call it MAS.

[Edited 2004-03-13 18:15:20]

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:10 am

There are air routes in Russia which require a Russian speaking radio-navigator aboard for the flight.
There are many "Russian language only" airways/airports, east of the Urals.
Certain routes, i.e. to Moscow from Western Europe, Russian ATC speaks very good English.
Same for routes from Khabarovsk to Alaska, in Eastern Siberia. Good English.
xxx
Even if Russia wants to require Yakutsk language, they sure can do so, ICAO has no authority.
At the AEP downtown Buenos Aires, all ATC is in Spanish, tough luck if you speak only English.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Russophile

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:11 am

Sammyhostie -- I am merely providing information I have seen with my own 2 eyes -- it had already been endorsed by several airline CEOs -- Skuratov has been quite vocal on this point -- and it is being discussed by the GSGA and MAK for introduction into law.

Aviationman

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:14 am

Because English is an "Imperialist" language. People believe that English is the only language that should be used.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:21 am

I shall say again, quoting ICAO...
xxx
English is the RECOMMENDED language of aviation communications.
It is NOT - I say again N-O-T (November Oscar Tango) COMPULSORY.
Each ICAO member state in ENCOURAGED to use English besides their own.
Who started that legend that English is required...? - Bravo Sierra...
xxx
Happy contrails  Big grin
(s) Skipper

[Edited 2004-03-13 18:47:16]

Sammyhostie

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:25 am

Aviationman,

Of course it should be, English is a language that most people understand and use throughout their life, and indeed aspire to use.

If they dont speak it, they should learn how to!

English is the language of the world, because it is the money of the world.

America and the UK together are the biggest stockbrokers/financiers in the world.

keno

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:35 am

Sammyhostie,
Not everybody in the world needs to speak English in their day-to-day life so why bother learning them? However, those who deal with international affairs should at least learn some English, not because to please the anglophone americans & british, but to ease communications from people from other countries too. English is by far the most preferred foreign language in most countries including world's largest country, China. So it's not just about communicating with the rich anglophones, but to the whole world too.

InnocuousFox

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:45 am

As we discuss how many people speak what language, has anyone bothered to measure how many passengers speak what language? I would suspect that English-speaking passengers easily are #1.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Spike

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:00 am

I think having both English (Roman script) and another script (Arabic, Indian, Thai, etc.) together looks really good. They are always thwe interesting ones to spot. I can't think of one national airline with their own script that doesn't do this in fact.

Aviationman

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:11 am

Sammyhostie, LOL...... You are confirming what I wrote/said.

[Edited 2004-03-13 19:12:51]

Sammyhostie

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:15 am

I know Aviationman,

That was the point mate.

I am imperialist and elitst! I freely admit it!

SA006

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:19 am

SAA have Zulu names
ZS-SAY "Vulindlila"
767 Siyaya
ZS-SAJ "Ndizani"
"Imonti"
Then Afrikaans
732's are mostly Afrikaans rivers
Olifants, Vaal etc

Rgds
SA006
Proudly South African

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:24 am

You'd be surprised about little English spoken in South America, in countries South of the Equator...
In Buenos Aires, some English is used, but mostly by businessmen and tourists. Outside of the capital... no English, except touristy areas.
For passengers. yes, more people do...
A guess here, for the Southern part of South America...
xxx
Domestic flights, maybe 25% of the passengers can speak (at least some) English.
International (inside South America), maybe 40% can speak (at least some) English.
International (to USA, Europe etc.), maybe 75% can speak (at least some) English.
This is an estimate for my airline.
Remember, we have to deal with Portuguese language too (Brazil).
xxx
A USA airline obviously would have a higher ratio on routes to Argentina.
We always have at least 1 F/A able to speak English on domestic flights.
English is required for all F/As working international flights, except trainees.
Language classes are organized by the company.
xxx
We have a few pilots who only speak Spanish (737 and MD80), this prevents them from transfer to the 747 or 340... Their radio operator's licence has a limitation to that effect.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

AR385

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:26 am

A generation or two ago, the language everybody learnt was French. English was learnt only by the visionaries who saw French declining.

Learning English is also practical as a communications tool between people whose native language is different, as somebody already said. This is helped by the fact that English is very easy to learn and study.

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:31 am

Sammyhostie said:
Of course it should be, English is a language that most people understand and use throughout their life, and indeed aspire to use.
If they dont speak it, they should learn how to!
English is the language of the world, because it is the money of the world.
America and the UK together are the biggest stockbrokers/financiers in the world.

The economies of Japan and China are almost as big (individually) as the US economy. So is that of the EU if you want to treat the place as one country. And if you want to do biz in these countries, you need to speak the lingo. This is to a large extent also true in France, Italy and Germany. The money of the world has no language  Big grin But the majority is held by people who speak English, Arabic, Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Russian (I'm sure that I've missed a few). I'm sure there's a ranking in there somewhere, but English is certainly not dominant.

I think that English will still be very important, but who knows what the future holds. Spanish is overtaking English, even in the US, in terms of people who speak it as a first language. A few hundred years ago, the global language was French, and before than Latin.

If you want proof that English is not as important as you seem to think, go to Beijing or Tokyo and ask for directions from random people in English.

Most people do not speak English at all, even as a second language. The need to learn English is primarily driven by economics. If China's economy continues to grow at the current rate, the two Chinese languages may well become dominant in this century. This will probably not, however, change the importance of English in Aviation. It's a hard thing to change, given the importance of clear communications. But maybe in 50 years we'll have computers to translate for us  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:56 am

Sammyhostie: I think you misinterpreted some of what I said. Sorry if you feel that I am a prat but these are my opinions. I disagreed with you on some points, but I don't feel that my language was offensive.

The economics argument means (to me) that most people in the world do not need to learn English. As for rock stars, there are plenty of Japanese, Chinese and Spanish-speaking ones that we have never heard of, but that nevertheless sell as much as Britney and Fleetwood Mac.

I speak four languages fluently, and I have been sitting in villages in Italy or France where English will get you nowhere, despite it being taught in school and tourists coming through every summer.

This reminds me of the old joke:
"What's do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
What's do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.
What's do you call someone who speaks one language? An Englishman."

My personal opinion is that the future will be multilingual, and that more and more people will want to (need to) learn several languages.

I did not know that the aviation chat existed until now! And I did not have to search the Internet to write that post, although I am viciously fast at Googling.

As for working in the airline industry, I'm doing quite well in the IT industry  Big grin

EDIT: I'm on the chat now. Where are you?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

EDIT 2: Hope we're ok now. Hope to chat you again soon.

[Edited 2004-03-13 19:57:51]

[Edited 2004-03-13 20:20:14]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ual747den

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:26 am

Sammyhostie,
You are exactly right! English is used because that is where the money is and if any business person wants to be successful they will learn English. Now as far as aviation is concerned an airport that wants to make money will use English and an airline will do the same! Good job Sammy!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Sammyhostie

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:34 am

Thanks UAL!!

You a Respected User! Wow!

English is the language of the world!

yyz717

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:35 am

English is the world language of commerce and travel.

Moreover, some names are automatically bilingual such as Air France, Air Canada, Air Elbonia etc.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Aviationman

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:47 am

Names are only in English beacause of the Imperialism of the English language and people. English is the language of commerce and travel....... Too bad, Hispanic, French, Asian airlines do not keep their identity....With the exception of Royal Air Maroc, Egyptair, Tunisair (they offer multi language (2) on their livery).

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:51 am

English is the world language of commerce and travel.

What he said.

Imperialism... Dang... Harsh.

fraT

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:57 am

I don't understand the whole discussion.

I think everybody agrees that there should be a common language in international aviation (Note: INTERNATIONAL).
This language has always been English. There is no reason to change that. If people speak a second language, I would say it's in 90 percent English.
It's always an advantage if a pilot speaks the language of the destination country. But you cannot ask pilots to learn the language of every country they are flying to. For Major carriers with huge intercontinental service this is completely unrealistic.
Countries should put their egos beside and use the English language wherever it is required. That means ATC and Intl. airports.

kalakaua

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:02 am

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rules the waves.
Britons never never never will be slaves!  Nuts
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Maersk737

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:11 am

I agree, English is the language of aviation.

But please Sammyhostie, climb down from your high horse.

Cheers

Peter

I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

thegreatchecko

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:36 am

Skipper,

Just to bring this back to Aviation specifically.

How does ATC in Spanish work? Is it basically the same commands but in Spanish, is it a amalgamation, or is it completely different? I am having trouble picturing this. I speak Spanish and it would be VERY interesting to hear and work the system in Spanish. It would take a little while for me to transfer over to speaking Spanish in ATC, its almost a second language in itself Big grin

Also, wouldn't this create a safety issue if an English speaking crew had to make an emergency landing at one of the Spanish speaking airports?

Thanks!

GreatChecko

"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

RonE

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:37 am

There are a few airlines that have the name of the airline in the language of it's country (non-English speaking countries). Off the top of my head I can think of Lufthansa and KLM- I forget what KLM stands for but to the best of my knowledge it is an abbreviation in Dutch.

Also El-Al is a phrase in Hebrew which means "to the sky" and alongside the title in English are the letters in Hebrew of the airline.

Alitalia744

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:38 am

Some airlines do not put their aircraft names in English.

Alitalia for sure puts their names in Italian (exception being A320's, which are named after composers - some not Italian).

-G
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:40 am

I think that Japanese and the two Chinese languages are almost as large when it comes to capital ownership as English. However, most international trade will be carried out in English. If nothing else, you can't write a URL in Chinese or Japanese characters. English will be the Lingua Franca or "trade language" for the foreseeable future.

However, historically this status has never been assured. English became important during the last three hundred years due to the British Empire. Before that, Spanish and French were much more dominant. And before that Latin. For English to surpass Latin in terms of centuries as a Lingua Franca, we have about 13 or 14 centuries to go.

As for aviation, it will stay English for a long time to come, simply because technical communications are more highly formalised and need to be clear and unchanging.

EDIT: Sammiehostie: Just missed u on the chat. I just don't agree that English is that dominant, although it is dominant. In the far east, Japanese, Korean, Cantonese and Mandarin are much larger. Just an opinion, and I may be wrong.

EDIT again: I have checked my figures. It seems I was dead wrong on the size of the economies. According to the CIA factbook (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html), GDP's are: US $10.45 trillion, China $5.99 trillion, Japan $3.65 trillion. But I stand by the rest of my opinions.

[Edited 2004-03-13 21:50:55]

[Edited 2004-03-13 22:07:35]

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:55 am

I am one of these old guys who learned a lot of unecessary things in schools...
But a lot of culture, history, languages... and multilingual parents...
There was no computer science classes in my days in school.
xxx
Historically, the languages are -
(1) French, was the language of diplomacy and treaties, etc...
(2) Italian, the language of arts, musicians, painters...
(3) English, language of commerce...
(4) German, language of sciences... medical, pharmacy...
xxx
For long, first millenum, Latin was the international language.
It remained the language of Christianity, until the Protestants put a stop to it.
xxx
The Roman Empire considered Ancient Greek, as the language of culture and education or sciences...
xxx
All top class businessmen in Asia (China, Korea, Taiwan) speak Japanese.
xxx
Arabic is a language of science and litterature, mentioning the "dark ages" of Europe... then Islam...
xxx
For the Christians, Jesus language was Aramean... Early text of the Bible were in that language.
xxx
AVIATION - Yes I am for English in aviation - but again, if you are an international pilot, or claim to be one, learn the basics of the dominant languages of the areas of the world over which you fly, and understand what pilots talk about in French or Spanish...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

aviationfreak

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:20 am

Mmm, what if Nieuw Amsterdam and other colonies in the new world were never exchanged for Suriname with the English and Nieuw Amsterdam never became New York. Would the names on aircraft be written in Dutch? Would ATC speak Dutch?

Aviationfreak
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

trident2e

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:27 am

If English is not THE international language, then why does nobody post in other languages on this forum? And let's remember that those of us who ARE English don't believe Americans speak proper English at all - they use some very strange version of it!

fraT

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:30 am

Skipper,

although I agree with most of your points, I have to mention one point again.
If you are a pilot for a major, you cannot learn the language of any country your airline is flying to.
If you are transferred to a certain area or always fly to the same area then that's just fair.
Just 2 examples.
A LH 747 captain might fly to North America, South America, Africa and Asia. Although they have some zone for their pilot groups, there are still a lot of languages.
A CO 772/764/762 pilot for transatlantic service would have to speak English, French, German, Dutch, Hebrew, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and soon Norwegian.
That is completely unrealistic!!

Cheers!

fraT

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:33 am

Trident2e

Look in the forum rules, then you will know, why it is in English.
BTW it makes things a lot easier...

BR715-A1-30

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:46 am

however, the Russians are soon expected to introduce measures which will see all foreign airlines operating to Russia being required to have at least one Russian speaking crew member on board.
Puhdiddle

bullpitt

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:52 am

I have to agree that English is now the dominant language specially in the economic field, but like some people have stated so was Latin, French and Spanish at some point or other in history. So what will happen in the future? Who knows maybe SPANGLISH will dominate Big grin. As why no one post in other language well I can only refer you to rule 2 of this page.

IBERIA is the Greek name for SPAIN and all our aircrafts names are in Spanish.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:57 am

Dear FraT -
xxx
Not all these languages are required for them -
With Spanish, you cover all of Spain and South America.
With Spanish, you can understand Portuguese easily, for Brasil and Portugal.
xxx
Most countries of Nortern Europe stick to English.
ATC English is perfect in Germany, Scandinavia, Holland etc...
Hardly ever hear anyone speaking in... Danish, on the radio.
xxx
For French, that gives you France... boy do they love to speak French there.
Most of Northwest and Central Africa... put Québec with it...
xxx
When I say learn language, I said UNDERSTAND only, I did not mean speak it.
Basic knowledge and full fluency are two different things.
xxx
Meines Deutsches sprache ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich verstehn, im speisehausen, oder strassensprache, und eines bier dranken... The only German language the USA pilots know in FRA is "McDonald bitte?"... At least I used to go to the "Baseler Eck"... And I enjoyed Berlin...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipperf

fraT

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:10 am

Sounds good.
But again, you are saying, ATC English is very good in Germany, Scandinavia and the Netherlands. Then why can't the ATC staff in other countries in Europe speak it as well. It's just because of the ego of some nations.
BTW. For somebody speaking Spanish, Portuguese is still very difficult. The other way around is a lot easier.

ltbewr

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:48 am

I would suggest that English is the dominate language in the airline business because:
1) that many airlines operate in and out of English language countries
2) Boeing and many past aircraft makers until Airbus, as well as the makers of much of the equipment for all non-Russian/Soviet aircraft are based in UK or USA
3) English has become the common language of business, science, travel, especially where international contact in countries with non-western script (Russian, Japanese, India, China, Arabic)
4) Is the most common 2nd language for much of the world.
5) Because of British colonialism, many different places in the world have English as their language or a co-language (Hong Kong, NZ, Australia, Singapore, India, USA, Canada for examples)
6) The USA dominates the trade in many countries, so the need to communicate with people in the USA in English.

keno

Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:20 am

LTBEWR,
Brilliant post. Your comment is the best i've heard so far  Big thumbs up

English is the most globally understood language, be it as a first or foreign language. However, it does not give us the right to look down on people with no or poor command in English. Some of this imperialist and economic superpower crap I heard sickens me a bit - English is just a language for God's sake, just a standard tool for people with different backgrounds to communicate. I feel English is MY language as much as the brits, the americans, the aussies etc feel like it's theirs. English belongs to the world now, everyone!

[Edited 2004-03-14 02:31:22]

ANX4fishing

Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:42 am

Long time ago, I used to fly between KRN-TOS on a full-blooded Norwegian carrier called NorVing (Northern Wings). No English there. The crew on these Cessna Conquests never uttered a word of Endlish unless necessary.

ANX

haanz

Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:51 am

This discussion has slid way off topic...

but anyway:

Us non-English speakers normally amuse ourselves with the fact that it seems to be statistically impossible for a native English speaker to learn another language.

We have realised that our own language will never rule the world, and thank heavens for that... I'd rather speak a unique, melodious language that about 20 million people in this world can understand, and learn English on top of it.

Yes, we learn English... mostly to please and accommodate these peculiar native English speakers, who are just unable to pick up any sound outside their own language. Is the p.c. term linguistically challenged??

Of course there are clever exceptions to the rule, and I take my hat off for them.

Although, ssssh! Don't tell anyone I said that!

Hans. Speaks 5 languages. English NOT the mother tongue.

flymia

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:09 am

Russophile: Are u saying that there are Air Traffic Control Centers Towers Etc.. That don't speak English? Or just the airline employees?

Well there is really no reason why they have the name in English. But since there are people in a lot of countries that speak there language and English why not. And since everything between the Pilots and ATC are spoken in English I don't see why not. Also since some of the most important countries in economics and Air Travel speak English. I really don't know so I just guessing?
But this has been discussed before.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)