jhooper

If Your Plane Was Hijacked.....

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:46 pm

....What would you do if you were a passenger? (not pilots or crew / I know you can't discuss your training)

Would you react immediately and beat the crap out of them? Would you wait a few moments to see what the crew or air marshals will do? Would you obey the hijackers?

I remember sitting in the first row of coach on a recent flight to Washington D.C. and remember thinking that if we were hijacked, I would use the fire extinguisher which was right in front of me and either beat them over the head with it or discharge it on them (or would the be too dangerous in a closed cabin??)

What would you do if they discharged gas to incapacitate the passengers/crew as appeared to have happened on 9/11?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

artsyman

RE: If Your Plane Was Hijacked.....

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:51 pm

While many people suggest that terrorists would get beaten senseless, the truth is that few people would have the guts to be the person that gets knifed or shot as the first person running at the terrorist. Most passengers would be happy to run ahd jump in 3rd or 4th, but not be the first.

Thank god there are people like BigPhil

J

XFSUgimpLB41X

I'd be forced to roll out my keg of whoopass and tap dat shizzle.
Chicks dig winglets.

panam330

In all reality- curl up into a fetal position, cry and pass out from fright  Laugh out loud. But I'm not going to be macho, and assume I'd stand up for everyone and pummel the hijacker- you cannot really determine how you act until you've been in that exact position- which I take, none of us here have been. I commend all those on the aircraft on that infamous day over 2 1/2 years ago. It must be an absolutely heart-breaking feeling, knowing these are indeed your last minutes  Sad.

Continental

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:53 pm

If I knew some guy was going to crash it, then why not fight him? I assume that you can get a group of the fittest, biggest men/women and just beat him senseless. If the pilots were still alive, then they could fly us to safety!

But I mean comeon, if it was hijacked, and you knew that he was going to do something bad and the fact that we all have knowledge of the 9-11 happenings, then why WOULDN'T you try to fight him!?!?

co

JFernandez

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:57 pm

I suppose in this situation, you basically have to figure that you're already dead, so you can really only improve from there. Hopefully others would think the same thing, otherwise I just run up, die, and everyone else chickens out.

jhooper

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:59 pm

This is how I've seen people react to certain emergency situations (i.e. somebody passes out and goes unconscious). Although I'll admit I've only been around during a few emergencies, It seems like when there's a big crowd, people tend to freeze and nobody does anything, as they will usually assume that there's somebody else present who will "take charge"; ordinary people don't seem to know what to do - they might just stand there and watch. They either freeze, or panic. I'm wondering if the same thing would happen here....

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:00 pm

I'd jack these dudes up, I don't care if there are 5 of them, if they take me down first so be it, but I can tell you what- I wont go down easy.

I think be me jumping one of the guys at least one other person would help me out.
Go big or go home

NIKV69

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:06 pm

I would wait and hopefully watch an Air Marshal blow their brains all over the pax compartment. I mean we need our pilots armed and we need air marshals!

As for me I would fight them, in this day and age unless there is a severe breakdown in security they can not bring a gun on board so. I just hope we never have to find out and that the TSA can prevent this from ever happening again.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

schweizair

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:11 pm

It might be a good idea to grab a bag from under your seat and use it as a shield. Charge the attacker and then everyone can subdue the attacker. I wish I knew if this tactic has been tried by air marshals. A good thing would be to make it possible to rip off the meal tray so you can hit them with it.

jhooper

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:16 pm

Unfortunately, it's not as impossible as you think to sneak a gun onto a plane, so it definitely is possible.

I was thinking about this the other day, as I always assumed that I would rush the hijackers and stop them right away, but then again, If I were to rush the cockpit, an air marshal is likely to think I'm one of the hijackers and shoot me too. But I guess that's a calculated risk, because if there are no FAMs on board, the passengers are the plane's only hope, but if a FAM is on board, you'd just be getting in their way.

ua777222

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:19 pm

Assess the situation!

The macho people will jump to their feet the second they hear "we have a bomb" and those are sadly the first to be killed. I do by habit check what I can do in the case of an emergency (a/c failure, medical, drunk, and highjacking) and it runs through my head for a while. The fact of the matter is that if someone gets up and yells for everyone to get down and that they have a bomb you know that the TSA isn't that stupid (or so they say) to allow a bomb of any kind on board an aircraft. You have to think that they are making something up somewhere. And that they can't have complete control over the situation. All the planning in the world can't control the unthinkable things like; crew change, equipment change, delay, cancellation, other inflight emergency. Use these to your advantage and after thinking it out THEN ACT APON THE HIGHJACKERS!!! I would help in any way in any emergency if I could, no second thoughts about it whatsoever.

/ / / U N I T E D 4 E V E R

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Boeing Nut

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:40 pm

If I knew that it was another 9/11 situation, I would definitely be the first one in line. If I don't do anything I would die for sure. Might as well go down fightin and have people behind me kill the bastards.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Jetsgo

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:40 pm

I would definetly put up a fight. There is no way in hell that those terrorists would take my plane and use it September 11th style. No way at all. Better to die trying then to die a coward.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jhooper

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:45 pm

UA777222 ,

You're probably a pretty level headed guy; I like your suggestion to assess the situation before taking action. However, I'm not so confident in TSA's ability to keep bombs and weapons off of planes. Studies indicate that they still have a long way to go in that area...

ozzie

Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:51 pm

In this day and age especially after 9/11, I bet, and for that matter hope, that everybody would stand up and do something or another. Even if it was certain that the plane would go down, I would also hope that the passengers would do their best to crash it in a rural location, or at least try to save it, similar to what happened in Pennsylvania, to stop it from hitting something and killing many more people. I mean come on, after 9/11, a plane with hundreds of pax is not gonna let 3 guys take it over.

777lover

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:07 pm

some crazy bastard's gonna have another crazy bastard's fountain pen in his neck

ANA777Master

Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:49 pm

I'd like to say that I would beat the poop out of the perpetrator, but the poop would be coming out of me instead!

[Edited 2004-03-14 07:54:35]

kilavoud

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:12 pm

I sincerely do not know what I would do, but one thing is sure, I would be very happy to fly alone this time , without my wife and my two daughters.  Love  Love  Love

Cheers. Kilavoud.

b741

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:18 pm

I would try to subdue and hold the hijacker, not kill. Once on the ground the hijacker would be taken into custody and interrogated. Find out who manipulated them and send all parties involved to Siberia with no clothing. Better yet, it would be cheaper to drop them off 50 miles North of Kapuskasing in the middle of January.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

backfire

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:24 pm

Don't flatter yourselves. We all like to BELIEVE that we'd wade in like the big hero and save the day. But what you'd like to believe is often a long way removed from what you'd actually DO. Don't forget that your own imagination is good at leaving out those inconvenient little details, like the feeling of true fear, in order to feed your little John Wayne fantasy.

In my experience, those who do all the talking are the ones who are trying to boost their self-esteem. It's the quiet, calm, self-assured individual - not the type who feels the need to boast on this thread - who'll be the one to save your @ss when the balloon goes up.

RonE

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:37 pm

100% right, Backfire.

If it was me in that situation, I'd probably just stay in my seat and s__t in my pants- thats God's honest truth...

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:58 pm

Planes have coffee makers, (most do anyhow) that hot water could do some damage to a would be highjackers face if thrown on him.

artsyman

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:14 pm

Planes have coffee makers, (most do anyhow) that hot water could do some damage to a would be highjackers face if thrown on him.

Have you drank some of the airline coffee ???, you could do more damage just having them drink it..

J

727200er

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:38 pm

Spend time assessing the situation to see what I CAN do. Then do it.

I have been stabbed several times and shot once. It isn't that big of a deal. The worst that can happen is I die.

Being a bouncer in a strip club, in a bad place was good training I guess.
"they who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only at night" - Edgar Allen Poe

FlyGuyClt

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:17 pm

Folks:

Take a good look at the entire situation before anyone jumps in. Remember this, there maybe more hijackers sitting to see who gets invovled. Before you make a jump make sure you will add to the winning side and NOT be in the way as the crew and/or marshals may have a fix on things. However, there are somethings you as passengers can do. Your blanket makes a good straight jacket in a pinch. Drape it over the hijacker. If someone has a knife, your seat bottom cushion is thick enough to take the impact of the knife and makes a great shield. But please, remember. Listen to crew commands. They may just save your life. After all, only they know who is who on the flight as far as legit backup on the aircraft.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

trekster

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:30 pm

Just after 9/11, (i think 4 days after)i cant recall what airline, a captain did his announcment and said somthing along the lines of (dont quote me on this) "Welcome ladies and gentleman, please introduce yourself to the person next to u, say your name and get to know one another.
If this plane does get hijacked,do all you can, chuck any loose item u have, shoes, glasses, lap tops, phones, anything not nailed down at the hijacker, stop him, scream and shout at them, scare them"

I think he got a round of applause
Where does the time go???

FlyingColours

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:50 pm

I was only discussing this on Wednesday in college with a friend.

In that situation I was stuck in a middle seat (Not isle or window). The point being that you might get stuck with a crap seat which takes you outta the equation at an early point.

In reality (from my Pax standpoint) I would sit there and $hit myself, once that's done I would assess the situation and see what I could do from there, maybe we could all smoke them out with our dirty underwear.....

I don't know exactly (yet) but one of those carts charing down an isle would make a great tool - keeps them at bay if they have knives and it also is great for ramming into them and breaking their bones.

The crash axe would be a really nifty tool to use too. Maybe a lifejacket could be a useful device (seriously) they give off one hell of a bang when they inflate (Stun Grenade/Flash bang...) and once you are wearing one you are unlikley to be able to move around freely and quickly.

Seat cusions (since they have arm holes as they duble up as floatation devices) would be good to weat over your chest for the big push.

I think it would be better though to just sit there, see what the FAM does (or if you are in the UK or any other country that doesn't have them) see what any PAX do. If all else fails charge at them and go down kicking and screaming, although what's the point you'd get shot down weather you re-took it or not.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

SK901

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:36 pm

I don't know what I will do in a situation like this, because i have never been in one before. But I do hope that I can keep my head cool and help my fellow pax and the F/A's, in the best way that I can. It also depends on what kinda weapons the terrorist are useing. If they have guns the will just shoot you, and thats that. But if there are FAM's onboard, let them do their thing first, and help afterwards or help if they ask you to help.
Traveling is living

dc-10 levo

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:46 pm

I really wouldn't know what to do if that happened. It's something I usually think about before I fly but I don't get scared about it. I'd want to help but I couldn't be the first to stand up and charge at them. If the terrorists are going to crash the plane, why not stand up and fight?

DC-10

fritzi

Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:55 pm

I am not going to even think up a plan about what I would do in that situation. If I would do it then I most certainly would probably not remember what my plan was if I was onboard a hijacked airliner.

But if I knew that the hijackers were planning on crashing the airliner, then why not put up a fight?

But then again, how would they get into the cockpit?

In this situation I would hope that the pilots would depressurize the cabin just enough to make everyone pass out. Or they could also disconnect the autopilot and try some aerobatics...

QIguy24

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:12 pm

I would get so chocked, that I wouldn't know what to do. I would try to atack the Hijackers, And since I am a pretty fat guy I wouldn't even feel the knife if they try to stab me. But I would do anything to save the plane even if it would cost me to die. But Its like the rest of you guys in here.

kilavoud

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:16 pm

Fritzi,

Aerobatics, that's a good idea,

Looping the loop with only the passsengers and crew members securely fastened would be the best to do.  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

Afterwards terrorists will only to have to be scraped off the ground. Big grin Big grin Big grin

Which passenger airline can loop the loop ?

Cheers. Kilavoud.

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:44 pm

I only would be concerned if the hijacker -
(1) sits down in the LH seat
(2) has a brand new pilot's license
(3) programs the FMS to the Eifel Tower coordinates
(4) calls for the descent/approach check list and says "Insh'Allah"...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

BR715-A1-30

Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:09 pm

If a man was pointing a gun at me, I'd do exactly what he told me to do. Until he turned around.
Puhdiddle

bmi330

Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:32 pm

I would do what they told me until the chance arises to take action or it was the last role of the dice do or die time. But I wouldn't just let it happen. Put it this way on a plane with say 200 people they cant watch you all off the time and the hijackers have to turn there backs on you at sometime. But lets be honest after 911 you would do something. It would also depend on what the terrorist were like E.G if they looked like they were from al Qaida you would do something as you no what they have done before. Then again I stay in Scotland and the are not likely to attack a plane coming to from hear so I think I am pretty safe.

NIKV69

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:00 pm

I would hope most people wouldn't just sit in their seat. That is what terrorists want. Remember the book of Revelation "And by peace, shall destroy many" One of the terrorists hopes is that we won't fight back, but we must. They also hope we won't stoop down to their level, we must. You have to fight fire with fire if you want to continue to live in a free, peaceful world.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ryangooner

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:53 am

The fact of the matter is that nobody knows how they will react until faced with the situation, either way everyones gonna lose their head, whether your the jump in and see what happens person to the lets assess the situation and hang back!

majority of people will freeze and do as they say - the fear of death and the will to survive maybe too great to overcome.

you would like to think everyone would get stuck in but in reality i dont think thats ever going to happen, there is however more chance of something like that happening post 9/11.

Ryan

some of the guys replies here is quite interesting - 16-20 yr olds saying they would beat the hijackers senseless - think again!
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

flymia

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:34 am

I would wait to see if the Crew would do anything or if there was a marshal. Maybe the Captain has a gun. Now if nothing happens and the highjacker does not have a gun and of course he cant get in the cockpit just raid him. Like he being the running back in a football game. Now if he did get in the cockpit first you say does anyone know how to fly. If no one has more experience then me which is not much then I would stay a little back encase he does something to the pilots so I could try to take control of the plane. Just really turn the autopilot on and make sure the plane is configured right for cruise then contact 121.5 and change my transponder 7500 and see what happens.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

corey07850

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:42 am

Seat cushion like a shield, and grab some of the oxygen bottles out of the back or something and beat the guy down. There isn't a lot of room in the aisles to maneuver so all you have to do is block them.

saslover

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:53 am

I would be chocked and don't now what to do i would keep my head cool and think a way out of this. And try to get the plane back to save the people.
Pilot how soon can you land this plane. I can't tell. Yes you can tell me I am a doctor

Brasuca

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:47 am

I would love to be in a hijacked airplane...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Varig, Varig, Varig

fritzi

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:10 am

Brasuca,

Do you by any chance owe the maffia a lot of money???  Nuts

jetbluefan1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:34 am

Surprisingly, I've never thought of a hijacking while on a plane. But now that it's been brought up...

I would probably just sit in my seat and think, cry, etc. A good thing to do would be to quietly talk to the people in your row - 3 or however many heads (depending on the aircraft type) is better than 1. I would also have to see the reactions of those around me. I'm definitely one of those thinker types of people - I would see what type of weapons they have, how many there are, and what they're trying to do.

Basically, you're gonna die if you don't do anything. If you fight back, you have a chance of living.

Hoping that we can all fly safely,

JetBluefan1

redngold

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:27 am

I'd like to think I'd have the guts to get up and throw myself at the a** hole (240 lbs. of angry fat woman coming at you) but I'd more likely be glued to my seat, praying to the Lord for mercy.

redngold
Up, up and away!

aa61hvy

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:08 am

Gooner- people are taught self defense for one reason, and one reason only. I plan on using it, if it came to that.
Go big or go home

JFernandez

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:19 pm

some of the guys replies here is quite interesting - 16-20 yr olds saying they would beat the hijackers senseless - think again!

Hey, they say youth generally feels invincible.

Like it or not, it seems the only options these days are to fight the terrorists or die. Fortunately, I think enough people understand that these days.

Then again, I live in downtown Manhattan. Maybe it's just more real to me, and I fly enough on flights to or from NYC that it seems more likely.

gigneil

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:24 pm

I'm not 16-20, and I used to have to watch the Pentagon still smoking days later on my way to work.

If we got hijacked, I'd happily be one of the first to die if it meant I was even a moderate inconvenience.

N

Spike

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:58 pm

Well, I'd diffuse the situation:

I'd calmly light up a cigarette and call home on my mobile. That would cause such a fuss that even the hijackers scene would have been hijacked! Oh, then I'd ask if anyone (female) wanted to join the mile-high club seeing as we all seemed doomed.

Thrust

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:24 pm

I would take a bunch of sleeping tablets so my death would occur in my sleep..and therefore be as painless as possible...this would be only if the airplane were to be crashed into a tower or if death was certain. Best way to die is in your sleep, right?  Big grin
Fly one thing; Fly it well