richardw

Iberia Now Charging For Snacks And Drinks?

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:19 pm

I was browsing the BA website for a trip to BCN, and noticed a comment about IB charging for snacks and drinks in economy. Is this a new policy on all short haul flights or just LON-BCN?

FinnWings

RE: Iberia Now Charging For Snacks And Drinks?

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:22 pm

I just saw the same when I was reading my Finnair Plus magazine... According to that on all Iberia domestic flights and Intra-European flights (Economy class) service ISN'T free of charge after 1st March 2004...

That is very sad in my opinion... I planned to try their service during the next summer... but after this I don't see it is worth of that anymore. They just lost at least one customer... because I now have better options which offer better quality for money.

Regards,
FinnWings

IBERIA747

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:38 pm

Iberia has stopped giving complimentary meals and beverages in all their domestic and European/African flights, except those that are longer than 3 hours such as Madrid-Athens or Madrid-Istanbul.

It is important to mention that Iberia is NOT the first European flag carrier to offer this kind of service. I believe Swiss has it too and let´s remember that this is not new for passengers...airlines in the US suspended their in-flight meals on most domestic flights many years ago.

Anyway, I think this topic has been discussed here before.

Regards
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

anstar

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:13 pm

Well I'm not too impressed after choosing Iberia for our flights from LHR to Barcelona in April. I bought my tickets last year expecting full service to find that I won't get that. Had I known this would be changing I would of booked BA.

9V-SPF

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:15 pm

Does this only include alcoholic beverages or drinks in general?

teahan

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:32 pm

Just like Aer Lingus, Austrian And Swiss, it includes all food and drink.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

richardw

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:34 pm

So the service is inconsistent with BA, so will this mean the end of the BA/IB codeshare, because the IB flights are slightly cheaper?

Iberia340600

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:47 pm

Richardw:

Flights will not be slightly cheaper...we will continue to have the same levels as BA and in no way does it affect the BA/IB codeshare. As stated in other replies, this applies to domestic and intra-european routes.

In my opinion, IB has taken a very proactive stance in essense "jumping on the bandwagon" of airlines charging for meals. I have seen the new menu's and am quite impressed with the offerings.

To those who say that they will not fly now that you have to pay...take this into consideration. In the U.S. you do not get a meal....period. Would you rather starve or be able to get a menu and pick and choose what you want at a relatively good price?

Dont be suprised if the other European airlines starting following this trend.
Visca Barça!!

teahan

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:56 pm

Prices on Iberia are fairly high, similar to Swiss. Coffee/Tea €1.50, Soft drinks €2.50, Beer €3.00, Sandwiches €6.00, Muffins/Potato crisps €2.50. On the other hand, Aer Lingus prices are comparable to what you would pay on the ground (€1 soft drinks/tea/coffee, €2.50 beer and €3.50 for sandwiches).

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Shamrock_747

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:56 pm

The service on oneWorld carriers within Europe seems to be going down the pan. Just British Airways and Finnair retain full complimentary service. Swiss, Aer Lingus and now Iberia are charging for everything.

I think this inconsistency could reflect badly on BA. For example a pax who frequently flies LHR-EDI would be used to hot breakfast and coffee on morning flights and All Day Deli snacks and a glass of wine on evening flights, though if they took the LHR-DUB route they may well be expecting the same levels service but would not receive any meal or drinks because the flight is operated by EI.

richardw

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:25 am

Oneworld it isn't!

There's FreeAlcoholworld, FreeSoftworld, $€world.

LHR340

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:28 am

Very sad, I used to enjoy flying Iberia and I also used to like the meals they served. Since my last flight I do feel like they are going down the pan compared to BA.  Sad

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

9V-SPF

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:32 am

To those who say that they will not fly now that you have to pay...take this into consideration. In the U.S. you do not get a meal....period.

But you do get a can/cup of Coke or Pepsi without being charged $3,- to $4,-  Nuts .
While I mostly reject the meals on short flights anyway, I don´t like the idea of having to pay outrageous prices for a tiny drink.

Dont be suprised if the other European airlines starting following this trend.

I´m afraid you´re right on this one.  Sad

Daniel

ly334

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:34 am

There is no joy of flying this way anymore...
Really sad that you need to buy drinks on th eairplane.

Soon they will put can machines on the planes and maybe for the overheadbins you will need in the future to put in money same as a locker....

Who knows...

ly334
All my toughts are in aviation!!!

richardw

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:44 am

How long before BA charges for food and drink?

Pe@rson

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:32 am

It's a very good move for the airline, if not the passenger. I say this because large amounts of income can be generated by selling food and drink - FR, for example, earns 7% of its total revenue this way - just for selling food and drink!!!!! It's a very big earner. I would personally prefer a lower price than 'free' refreshments, which are rarely, bar the drinks, any good anyway.

"Really sad that you need to buy drinks on th eairplane."

Umm... you do on trains and buses, so why shouldn't you on planes? I don't understand why you should get 'free' food (which is normally pretty poor anyway) and drink.

[Edited 2004-03-15 17:35:08]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

GOTbound

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 am

The "thing" it that airlines charges ridicules prizes for drinks and sandwiches, I have no problem to pay for meals as long as I get some kind of value for my money, a sandwich for €6.00 isn't. Non alcoholic beverages should be complementary and meals be paid for (on short/medium haul), just my opinion.

rgs.GOTbound

flyingdoctorwu

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:45 am

Wow charging for drinks even now... I can't think of any US airline that charges for drinks at least... and a lot of people hold European airlines in higher esteem than the US ones (at least service wise.) that may be true on long-haul but it seems short haul wise the US airlines are catching up (or maybe the European ones are falling behind). Either way it seems short haul wise, whether on a LCC or legacy carrier there may eventually be a higer level of service on US airlines...

Christopher Wu

Pe@rson

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:48 am

"The "thing" it that airlines charges ridicules prizes for drinks and sandwiches, I have no problem to pay for meals as long as I get some kind of value for my money, a sandwich for €6.00 isn't. Non alcoholic beverages should be complementary and meals be paid for (on short/medium haul), just my opinion."

But every consumer has a choice - if he or she wants to bring his or her own and not buy anything onboard, then that's good and cheap (especially if prepared at home). MANY people will want the food and drink.

Not only is the abolition of refreshments a bit cost-saving measure, but it's also a vert good way of generating high revenue.

"whether on a LCC or legacy carrier there may eventually be a higer level of service on US airlines..."

And also higher airfares...

[Edited 2004-03-15 17:50:46]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Sabena 690

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:04 am

Of course I preferred the free meals on board of full-service airlines, but when I have to choose between a drink + bag of pretzels on a 3h AA flight, or a good snack for €8 on IB/LX/..., my choice is made very fast!

I gladly pay to get a good service...

Frederic

FinnWings

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:04 am

This isn't a good trend which is going on among major carriers here in Europe...

I really believe and hope that this is just a temporarily trend. It might look good for airlines cut their catering services on the paper as cost reduction is immediate of course. But in long term, they will lose loyal customers and they are giving away everything which makes them better than LCC's.. Major carriers can't compete with LCC even they stop serving newspapers and beverages free of charge, because they have heavier cost structure anyway and bigger organizations. They don't even have to compete with LCC, because those airlines are serving different type of the market. Now major carriers are doing cost-cutting in totally wrong areas...

When you are cutting customer service like beverages you are always playing very dangerous game... because then you are destroying the brand and image which has been properly built up during the past years. When this brand is destroyed and customers are noticed that major airline is just like "more expensive LCC" they will choose other airlines. It is always easy to destroy or do damage to the brand, but building it up again is very expensive and take years. In short term you might win market shares and reduce cost....but in long term you'll lose money a lot.

There are already some evidences that customers have been totally disappointed when major airlines have cut their service levels. Some have already noticed that customers are ready to pay for better service and upgraded catering (like SN Brussels)... And I believe this will be the trend of future. Those airlines are winners who will keep their quality brands, but decrease costs in other areas which aren't so important for customers.

Best Regards,
FinnWings

Sabena332

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:09 am

If I would know that the only chance to get food on board is to buy it for a ridiculous high price (like on FR), I would bring my own sandwich and my own can of coke.

In my opinion would it be very profitable to open up a Subway or another sandwich restaurant in every airport.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

GOTbound

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:44 am

"Not only is the abolition of refreshments a bit cost-saving measure, but it's also a very good way of generating high revenue"

Good point, it all comes down to revenue... that's why it called capitalism! One problem I can see if people brings food, should there be restrictions on "smelly" food?

rgs.GOTbound

sabenapilot

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:06 am

Indeed Finnwings,

SN Brussels Airlines recently introduced an improved economy class catering product which is very much liked by its passengers and first results seem to show that on those routes where SN code shares with a new-style no-frills company à la LX or IB, pax are re-routing to the SN operated flights....

Called Brussels Bistro, the advanced catering concept brings a new meaning to the term ‘full-service airline’, especially at a time when the general world trend is to reduce service on flights. But at SN, economy class passengers on all European flights will be able to enjoy a whole host delicious new edibles including healthy hot meals, pizzas, ciabattas, country salads and fresh fruit, as well as quality branded snacks and beverages from companies such as Neuhaus and Masterfoods for free.

Iberia340600

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:39 am

Wait till SN sees their costs skyrocket...then they will be like..."oops...we made a mistake".
Visca Barça!!

bullpitt

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:45 am

As a reservation agent for IB I can tell you that the catering issue is not that important with the customer. Although some have complained "mostly the typical once a year holiday flyer, Angry I think most are prepared to pay that extra for a better meal, Lets not forget that on domestic and European flights you didn't really get that much anyway. Passengers prefer the lower fares and better service in the areas of punctuality and luggage control, these are the things that really need to be improved by the flag carriers if they want to survive and these are the areas where IB is doing a great effort to improve.

Lets face it if you don't get a sandwich you'll forget about it within in a week if they loose your bags you'll remember for the rest of your life. Pissed
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

Pe@rson

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:53 am

And as their costs undoubtedly rise, so will their prices.

On short flights, like those of 3 hours and less, 'free' food and drink is really not necessary. When travelling by coach or train for such durations, do you expect free refreshments then? I think not. Accordingly, why expect it in the air? You expect it because that's traditionally what's served, and some people do not like change - even for the better.

By withdrawing refreshments - which are generally of quite a poor quality anyway, bar the canned drinks - airlines will not only save considerable money - which can be passed onto the consumer in the form of lower prices - but also generate quite a lot of additional revenue through the sale of refreshments (inflight refreshment sales amount to 7% of FR's total revenue). This is a win-win situation. Yes, some people might complain that the prices are high, but if you don't like it bring your own. It's quite simple. And by bringing your own (or buying it in a shop at the airport or whatever), you can pretty much assure the quality.

I travel frequently yet don't care if I don't get any food or drink. If I REALLY want a cup of tea, I'll buy one. If I think I'll need something to eat, I'll pack a sandwich or buy one at the airport. I really don't know what all the fuss is about on what is, in reality, a pretty inconsequencial topic.

You really must come to grips with the fact that airlines are now rightly realising the essential need to be efficient. You will see more and more cost-cutting and lower prices. You will see more 'frills' taken away. All of this cost-effectiveness will enable airlines to operate more competitively and, hopefully, profitably. 'Unfit' airlines - those which are poorly run, i.e. by not increasing efficiency and which operate as though they're in the dark ages - will not last (look at most of the major airlines in the USA, which are grossly unprofitable). The markets are changing, and airlines are adapting to meet the new needs. Sure, some people will pay greatly for full frills, but more and more people will require a lower price than anything else, on short-ish flights (3-3.5 hours or less). If you don't like the changes - and naturally not everyone will - then just take your busines elsewhere. Today's short-haul flights are more about pricing than anything else.

FinnWings

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:59 pm

As a reservation agent for IB I can tell you that the catering issue is not that important with the customer. Although some have complained "mostly the typical once a year holiday flyer, I think most are prepared to pay that extra for a better meal, Lets not forget that on domestic and European flights you didn't really get that much anyway.

I have to disagree with that a bit... It depends of course the customer, but I think many wants still meals and quality. I know a lot of people who are working in the travel agency industry and they have told that most frequent travelers choose the airline which has most suitable schedule and best service. For frequent flyers price doesn't matter anything if their company pays their tickets.

Those people are living in the dreamworld who believe that ticket price is going to decrease a lot if complimentary meals aren't served anymore. Hey come on, food which is served in the aircraft doesn't cost for airlines like 30 euros every meal! Alcoholic drinks could be expensive, but food and soft drinks not... Lets imagine that an average meal for an airline cost around 10 euros. Now they stop serving free meals and their costs which are caused by every passenger are reduced by 10euros... Now... Do you believe that ticket price will see a 10 euros discount too. NO. Customers aren't the winners here as ticket price will decrease around 2-3 euros... so just a cost cutting measure, not win-win situation. Biggest winners are the shops at the airports, who charges 6-8 Euros of one small sandwich.

You should also remember that even there are much passengers who pick up the cheapest flight what possible, those aren't the passengers who gives the profits for airlines (in case of major airline). If IB's MAD-LHR flight is full of those low-yield passengers with cheap flight tickets their flight isn't profitable even it would be fully booked. Lets think about the same flight, but with different passengers... 10% Business class, 25% economy class full fare, 35% flexible economy fare (medium price), and 30% discount price (low-yield) passengers... Now it is profitable! Even if you have 3000kg cargo and mail, even better!

I just mean that major airlines CAN'T compete with LCCs as they have different price structures and costs. Majors are offering connections and LCCs cheap point-to-point trips... but if majors are cutting their services so much that you can't anymore see the difference between them and LCCs, in that case bankruptcy is waiting...

Remember also, that LCCs don't carry cargo or mail at all in their aircrafts so that increase their seat mile costs. Majors can easily keep good service as they got revenues from the belly too.

Anyway, happy flights with or without free meals!  Big thumbs up

Regards,
FinnWings

767-332ER

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:11 pm

I flew IB from MAD-SVQ last week and well, I decided to cough up the $$ for the meal for a couple of reasons...first of all I was starving, second of all I wanted to see how good it was...It wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but the one thing I have to say or ask to people...do you fly on board airplanes just to eat?? I fly expecting to get from point A to point B and if you wanna bitch about the food or lack there of...well...eat before you fly or plan accordingly and bring snacks on board. Like someone had mentioned earlier, I am more worried about my bag(s) and I getting there safely than getting food. Simple as that!!!
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Tolosy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:12 pm

I don't understand!!

I have just seen yesterday, in the Times, an ad for IB, and this ad was telling that on flight between LHR and Spain, a free food service a la carte was served!!

Is it true, or did IB change its mind...

Nick

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:30 pm

Personally I think its a shame that the majors are starting to be more like LCC's. But that is life. We just have to get used to it.
I really miss the good old days when everything was doing good and we got the service we paid for.

FinnWings

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:44 pm

767-332ER,

I agree with you... free service isn't the most important thing for short routes, but if I can choose two similar priced airlines for short routes and the other one offer complimentary then the choice is easy of course.

But you must also remember that most of the passengers always on board (depends of the route) are connecting passengers. IB has a lot of connecting passengers to/from the Latin America and those passengers have been travelling many hours. I'm sure that those passengers would appreciate free meals served...

Regards,
FinnWings

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:59 pm

You guys are forgetting something... It is not "free" service. We actually pay for it when we pay for our ticket.

Summa767

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:00 pm

Tolosy:
They do serve "a la carte" menu, but you have to pay for it!
BTW, in the same advert did you notice the slogan? It says IBERIA One of the world's best airlines.
What kind of motto is that? A bad one for a bad airline.

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:12 pm

Summa767

Just because Iberia removes their food onboard to save money. Does that make them a bad airline? Then every airline would be bad. And that includes the LCC's.

SK901

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:29 pm

What is this, a new LCC??? I hope not.
Traveling is living

Summa767

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh no! They were bad before! I agree that "bad" is a very broad term. But their unfriendly service is renown. It has even made it to newspaper columns (if you read Spanish here's an example http://www.cambio.com.co/html/columnistas/santiago_gamboa/articulos/2076/

I would pay reasonable prices for reasonable food, if at least it was served with a smile.

And as for the UK slogan.. One of the world's best airlines.. well,what kind of marketing agency came up with that one? Are they struggling to be number 10, number 20?

[Edited 2004-03-16 12:34:30]

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:34 pm

SK901

It will not be a new LCC. They have simply decided to not serve food anymore. And If you want to survive in this industry, this must be done wether you like it or not.
The same thing will probably happen to SAS as well in the near future.

JGPH1A

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:45 pm

Seems to me that IB would have been smarter to follow BA's lead and try to differentiate its product from those of LCC's, rather than trying to emulate an LCC product without reflecting the same fares. People book with a 'full service' airline as opposed to an LCC because they have certain expectations of better service, and they will not continue to book the 'full service' option if this option ceases to present them with real verifiable benefits and added value. Charging pax for services they previously received at no extra cost while not reducing the price of the ticket says only one thing to the passenger - "This airline is trying to rip me off".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

767-332ER

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:50 pm

Finnwings,

You of course have a valid point and of course, that's the beauty of being able to travel from various points having a number of choices. By no means did I want to say that look, it's something that people have to deal with. I have flown on IB many times and I enjoy their a/c and well, as long as they get my bag and I were I wanna be, I am a happy customer. As to your point on the connecting pax, well, that's true and as they should, IB does offer free meals on long-hauls...just as any other major (including here in the U.S.) but yes, your views are valid and as long as you have a choice of carriers to get to a point, then base your decision upon your own merits...that's the beauty of air travel, isn't it?
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Iberia340600

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:09 am

FinnWings:

Passengers on flights from Latin America to Madrid get 2 meals....usually a dinner and breakfast...so rest assured they are fed on the long-haul.

Summa767:

Wow...that has to be the most exaggerated article I have ever seen. But I did get a good laugh from it. Sharing a soda? In my 27 years flying with IB...I have NEVER seen a soda being shared.....but you do see that on AA all the time.
Visca Barça!!

LJ

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:35 am

Passengers on flights from Latin America to Madrid get 2 meals....usually a dinner and breakfast...so rest assured they are fed on the long-haul.

But nothing on the 2,5 hour flight from MAD to for example AMS after waiting an hour or more at MAD......

My view is that Iberia should have followed KLM and still serve free non alcoholic drinks in Y class (no meals under 2 hours). The saving would be enough and you still differentiate from a LCC, which is very important from a marketing point of view. Unfortunatly, nowadays the managers at certain airlines (Iberia included) seem to forget even the basic marketing lessons they've learned at university.

EddieDude

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:41 am

When I see a flight attendant serving me half of a can of Coke in a plastic cup, I always say I want to keep the whole can and that works... I get the plastic cup and the can with the rest of the soda in ti.

Although IB f/a's would likely yell back.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

bullpitt

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:36 am

Hi Summa767 I've just read the article you quoted and to be frank I think he's probably the typical pap who pays for an N class tkt and then demands an UPG just because he's a journalist. To be honest I use to work at the Airport so I know all about them. I still think that the food issue is no great deal and what will make a Pap fly with you again is the whole service offered.

I can just imagine a pap saying "Ok they lost my bag, I'm 3 hours late for my meeting and I have to stay here overnight because my return has been cancelled but what the hell I got a free coke and a hot sandwich what a great service"  Nuts No, I think service for these paps is something else and that's where IB are working hard to improve.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others