MCIB757
Topic Author

Favorite Angry/Dumb Passenger Quote

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:40 pm

So I just got down watching "Airline" and got this idea for a topic. I love hearing stupid and angry passengers say stuff, and I think my all time favorite quote from these people are "Im never flying your airline again." I have no problem when people say this for a real reason, but when someone says it when their luggage is going around the carousel and there yelling at the baggage agent, its hilarious.

So what's your favorite quote from angry dumb passengers?

Tom
"God bless catastrophe..."

theflcowboy

RE: Favorite Angry/Dumb Passenger Quote

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:44 pm

"What do you mean I got to the airport late? The flight leaves in 12 minutes. Im on time."
A318, A320, A332, A333, B1900, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B738, B772, CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, MD80, MD81, MD82, MD8

Alert3

"I'll have your job."

Yeah, like one complaint from you is going to get me fired, let alone "go straight to your CEO!!."

#1 My signature at the bottom  Big thumbs up

#2 "That's ridiculous!" - Usually said in response to a flight being 15 minutes late, no window seats left, or a fare quote being anything more than $79.

#3 "I'll have your job" - And have to put up with assholes like you? Why would you want it!?

Brian - SPOT THIS!

[Edited 2004-03-16 04:47:02]

nycfuturepilot

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:56 pm

From last week's airline: "all hell is gonna break loose if im not on that plane." This came from an 87 year old women in a wheel chair that had a respirator and I believe a heart condition.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

NW747-400

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:01 pm

BWI-ATL on DL 757:

Prissy Mother: "Ugh, these seats are so cramped"

Prissy Daughter: "Yea, and they aren't leather either"

Prissy Mother: "I guess you get what you pay for"

Me: "Hey, it's only a 2 hour flight and most people don't have the money to sit in first class every time"

Passengers were referring to their previous flight on a Midwest Express 717 and had not been on another flight besides that one.

searpqx

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:04 pm

Not really a quote, but back in my res days my two "favorite" irate callers were those that said they were going to call airline X (usually WN), to which I'd offer to give them the number, and those that told me they were going to report me to my supervisor (never mind that I was a supervisor), it always felt like they were threatening to tell my mommy. Gotta love customer service.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ua777222

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:09 pm

"DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES IVE FLOWN WITH THIS AIRLINE?!?!?" waving their premier cards in the air.

"YOU THINK THIS IS BAD, NO NO IT'S JUST STARTED"

"But how was I supposed to know?"

"What do you mean you have to have the actual TICKET to fly?"

"F--- THIS IM GOING HOME" and they come back to the counter 5minutes later realizing that the gate agent could care less what they have to say.

"LISTEN" normally followed by some long stupid lecture about how the world has done them wrong

"I will never fly this goddamn airline again!" but still buy tickets with them and when approached by the same person a few months down the road they say this still do b/c it's "cheaper"

"Well I guess what you pay for" from someone that is flying on a friends free ticket.

"Me not shitfaced....."

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

bobb

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:12 pm

Once overheard by a WN counter "I fly first class on your airline all the time and I've never been treated so shabbily!" and he said it with full indignation.

True story Big grin

OPNLguy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:12 pm

One of my favs is when a passenger attempts to throw their weight or status around, i.e. "do you know who I am?!" I know one SWA agent at HOU (and I'm sure there have been others around the industry/country) who, when confronted with that statement, calmly took the PA mike at the podium and announced "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a man up here who DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If you are missing anyone, or know who this gentleman is, please contact us here." The AH passenger usually gets so embarassed or torqued off that they skulk away, while the other "normal" folks get a big charge out of things...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

FlyGuyClt

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:15 pm

"Could you tell me where the baggage claim for NorthwestERN is ? "

Safe Flying  Smile

[Edited 2004-03-16 05:16:33]
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

bobb

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:22 pm

Once overheard by a JetBlue counter "No wonder you people are losing money!"

flyiguy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:24 pm

There was an Insident at my airport with a passenger with a delay due to weather. the gentleman was told that the flight was delayed due to weather. He then went to the window and looked outside, came back and said " what weather, it's clear and sunny out side? " The man demanded to speak to someone who could fix the problem right then and there, so the agent took a business card out and wrote on the back " 1-800-ASKGOD and gave it to the Man. It's the funniest thing I ever heard.
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

mikesairways

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:24 pm

Two things...

People would often ask for a flight to "LA" and would be mad that I didn't quote them for BUR, ONT or SNA.

Also, checking in a LAX flight, about 10 people come up to me "Is this the flight to LAX" even though it says it in big black letters behind me
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

HPCMHPHX

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:32 pm

In December 2002 on HP CMH-LAS, an elderly couple complaining about the long walk up the jetway " Just like AmericaN West to not get us a wheel chair"

Personally I like it when they say, "I know (CEO of airline), and I"m gonna let him know about this!" Good, can you tell him that he needs to do something about the schedule, Joe Schmoe can't work Fridays and needs to change days with Sally Sue.
Or when they get the name of the CEO wrong, like calling him Doug Barker.

How about the lady on Airline at MDW saying to her kids, let's go to America West. When you find them let me know, cause I'd like to fly there instead of ORD. LOL

Homeroid

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:49 pm

The more frequent one I got back when working for WN in the NE was when we were delayed due to weather and corridor congestion.

ME: "Folks, I've just been advised that ATC has put us on a ground stop due to weather at BWI"

PAX: "Yeah right, you're lying to us. I just called my sister down there and she said it was sunny!!"

ME: "I'm sorry sir, but we fly to BWI and not your sister's driveway!"

Shuts 'em up 100% of the time.

txagkuwait

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:56 pm

A conversation with a guy at the office, after I told him I was flying Southwest: "Oh, nobody flies them anymore, their flights are always too full"

Mir

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:23 pm

A conversation with a guy at the office, after I told him I was flying Southwest: "Oh, nobody flies them anymore, their flights are always too full"

He wouldn't happen to be Yogi Berra, would he?  Big grin

Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Jetsgo

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:07 pm

My friend took a trip to Europe last summer and wow was it something... She flew on a SW 744, First Class, nonstop from SMF-Rome. Someone care to explain to me how many problems there are in that little statement? Needless to say, I didn't bother trying to correct her because of course she knew what she was talking about it, and if I argued, I'd be a nerd. That my friends is the sad part of loving aviation Big grin

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

flyboy36y

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:29 pm

Told to me by a student travel advisor:
1)Why not just take Ryaniair AMS-DUS

Told to me by a student:
2) I'll just take easyJet MAD-BCN

3)Told to me by a student.
I'll connect in Brussels from Ryanair to my flight home on AA. I'm sure 3 hours is enough time.

Foreign Tourist in Grand Central, NYC
4) I have a meeting tonight in Seattle, how long do you think a bus would take, or would a train be better?

5) You don't know what you're talking about! How can a one-way cost more than the combined round trip total? That's retarded.

Told to me by a security guard in MAD while I was on a J ticket.
6) You have to use the economy line.

Told to me by an agent in BCN while on a J ticket.
7) How can this be J? Its too cheap!!!

Overheard at LGA
8) I'll register for that AANYC promotion as soon as I get to Fort Lauderdale, that way this trip can count towards my free certificate.

US Air/TWA Fan

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:59 pm

My pet pev is when people enter my plane (Embraer 145/135) and almost every flight someone says..."its one of those small planes again". or "wow, its so small",, or "this plane isn't made for tall people".

The worst was "Damn, its one of those miserable little planes again."
-First off, our planes are not miserable, we only have happy planes.
-Second, we have leather seats, no middle seats, jet engines, bathroom, beverage service, etc.
-Lastly, it was from IAH-AEX (Houston to Alexandria, Louisianna). This is about a 45 minute flight. I felt like saying, "Sorry, but the usual Boeing 777 jumbo jet was downsized to a Embreaer 145 today."

NWFltAttendant

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:03 pm

Snarly woman asked me for some juice during boarding.... offered her water since we cant open the beverage carts before leaving (due to liquor laws) on international flights.

"Im allergic to water"

HAHAHA...theres water in the juice
Go yakkin !!!!!!

FlyGuyClt

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:24 pm

USAIR/TWA FAN,

Depending on your personality and ability to get away with things. I would just look at them and say.

"Well the hard part is over now, you can relax."

To which they will look at you cross eyed.

"Your ego made it onboard, the rest is easy."

Safe Flying  Smile

[Edited 2004-03-16 12:26:49]

SDFOH

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:38 pm

When the flt is xcld/delayed as an agent you have checked every possible flt to get them to there final dest. You have worked on them for 15minutes checking everything and the only option is for the pax to arrive 12/24 hrs late and they say "that is unacceptable". I have to look at them and tell the pax "well that is what you are going to have to accept"

The other is when you are at your counter for Horizon and a pax walks up and tries to check in for the Delta flt, when DL counter is right next door.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:40 pm

5) You don't know what you're talking about! How can a one-way cost more than the combined round trip total? That's retarded.

Hmmm, I actually wonder this myself. What's the answer?

StarGoldLHR

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:43 pm

"Ive got a bus pass, what do you mean it's not a valid ID ?"
"Ive got three extra bags i'm sure not every passengers brought luggage, can't I use some of there space ?"
"HE" (points to a little kid) "Can sit on my knee, why should I pay for a seat for him".
"Why do we need passports in the 21st Century ?"
"I would like a ticket to America"
(to me in New York) "I have a friend named George in England do you know him ?"
"So do we get issued with Space Suits before we board ?"
"IF this plane crashes and we all die I'm going to make a complaint".
"Can I sit next to somebody famous"
"Can I sit next to somebody good looking and single ?"
"Ive got a free ticket, why do I have to pay tax"
"I don't know why they allow foriegn planes into our country..." (are we not foreign in theres perhaps ?)
"Can you hold the plane for a few minutes ive just got to make a phone call"
"Why can't all countries use the same time zone it's so confusing"
and the best one...
"Why can;t you use fast planes in both directions, instead of one way only and come back on a plane twice as slow" (passenger not understanding why one way the flight was 3 hours, the return being 12 inc time zones) to New York from London  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"Do we get our own cabin and is there a restaurant on board ?"

So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

FlyGuyClt

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:48 pm

As a flight attendant. You are zooming down the aisle. Having fun with passengers. Giving them beverages before the meal service. Making sure everyone is happy. Your under arms are starting to sweat. You know that if you don't keep moving someone is going to get mad. (Less staff these days) It is your goal to meet and or exceed your loyal customers expectations. Then, you get to some great people and they say. "Where are we?" Hmm....Planet Earth , Airplane? I'm not really sure. (As the map is right in front of them on the PVT system, or on the big screen behind you.)

Again same scene as above. "what do you have?" You bite your tongue (for a change) and give the entire selection. They look at you and go "Pepsi" Ok, what airlines does not have Coke or Pepsi?  Smile

The winner for me was:

I was working for Braniff Part 2. Flying the last flight of the day from MCI to STL on a BAC 1-11. We started our beverage service with the cart. Got half way to the back. A passenger says to me. "May I ask you a question?" I said, "absolutely." She then says, "why do you turn off the lights?" I say,
"At night, because if something were to happen, your eyes would already be adjusted to the lack of light outside. You could go outside with out having night blindness." She then looks at me and says, "that is stupid, don't the pilots know if something is going to happen and they could turn them off?" Well, I was flying with my best friend, she looked at me, and shoved the cart into me as she knew something was going to be said. Tried to push me out of the way, but my mouth just went. I said, "Oh your poor thing, your family tree only has one limb huh?"

Safe Flying  Smile

EconoBoy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:54 pm

This thread has put a smile on my face! Usually Airline manages to feature some stupid passengers, ranting and frothing at the mouth and blaming the Check-in staff for the traffic on the motorway that made them late etc. I really admire the patience of the staff in dealing with such people; it’s not a job I think I could do as I would be too prone to speak my mind.

ba757

Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:56 pm

One from airline here in the UK. Its the best I have ever heard.

"Easyjet is fu*king sh*t - I'll have you in the news paper tomorrow - headline - Easyjet is fu*king sh*t!" from an Italian guy who was apparently a news paper editor.

Adam

boyshane

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:24 pm

Not much of a dumb quoute but more of a pet peeve and a dumb quote. Trying to check in a passenger on the eService machine.

Me: "Hi, would you like to check in using our eService machine today?"

Pax: "Uh, Ok."

Me: "Are you electronically ticketed?"

Pax: "No."

Me: "Ok, may I have your paper ticket and your ID so that I may check you in at the counter?"

Pax: "I don't have a paper ticket, just an eticket itinerary."

Me: "Ok, so you are electronically eticketed. Do you have a credit card that you can swipe in the machine?"

Pax: "Uh, but i've already paid for my ticket."

Me: "It just reads your name for identification, it wont charge anything."

And goes on from there... the endless Eticket Machine battles. Gotta have a lot of patience but you get used to it after a while.

-Shane

QIguy24

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:38 pm

This thread has put a smile on my face! Usually Airline manages to feature some stupid passengers, ranting and frothing at the mouth and blaming the Check-in staff for the traffic on the motorway that made them late etc. I really admire the patience of the staff in dealing with such people; it’s not a job I think I could do as I would be too prone to speak my mind.

I work as a ticket agent. And I have experienced this many times. And I love it!!  Smile
Some people just aren't to clever!!  Big grin

noelg

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:57 pm

The best I saw was on a TV programme "Holiday Airport" featuring staff at Larnaca, Cyprus.

There was this one family who turned up at 14.30 expecting a 15.30 flight, but the flight had left without them at 14.00. They were getting SO irate with the poor girl at the airport, saying they should have been informed - they were never going to fly Air 2000 again blah blah blah....they were even on the phone to the travel agent who booked their holiday having a go at them for not letting them know the flight had changed...

They were told they would have an overnight wait for the next flight, and it turned out that the passengers had actually been looking at their initial invoice (from 12 months earlier) rather than their tickets, which had the correct timing on them! They still weren't happy "They ought to make it clearer that you have to read the times printed on your tickets"...

Classic!

NoelG

Laugh out loud

fritzi

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:36 pm

Heard at IAD:

-What do you mean?!?!!! Why dont I get an upgrade! Why should I have to pay extra to sit in Business Class on a flight to Vienna!!!!!!!!

This dumba$$ Mo-Fo was standing in the Business Class check in line holding me and other pax up for 10 minutes...

andz

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:50 pm

At JNB one evening, the usual jostle at the standby counter and a guy was trying to get on a full flight to JFK. He wouldn't take no for an answer, eventually the check in agent said to him "what do you want me to do, take a seat from another plane and put it in this one for you?"

The guy snarled at her "I'm a doctor and people are gonna die cos you won't let me on this flight!"

The check in agent gave him the appropriate withering look, the rest of us on standby burst out laughing and the flight left without him.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AA787

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:53 pm

8 Year old girl while sitting at the gate waiting to push back:
"Dad when are they going to serve the food"
"We must only have an hour left until we get there, we took off like 45 minutes ago! (we were still parked at the gate)"

AA787
ET In NYC

AirDude66

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:40 pm

What do you meaan the plane left on-time?

No one told me?

I fly this airline every week. (0 miles banked)

I AM NOT A TERRORIST!

I called your office and they said you would refund this ticket.

Why can't you call the plane back to the gate?

My (mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, husband, wife, child and fourth cousin) are all dying in the hospital - I have to be on that flight!

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:27 am

My all time favorite was a young Persian man at JFK, who kept telling me he wanted to go to Laagah.

I finally looked at his ticket to see that he wanted to go to LGA!!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:27 am

Aloha717200 said:

Hmmm, I actually wonder this myself. What's the answer?

My guess is one-way tickets are mostly used by biz travellers who do things like: Stockholm->Frankfurt->Milan->Stockholm. You can get more money from them.

And there is only one good answer for:"Do you know who I am?". It's: "No, do you know who I am?"

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

steede

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:47 am

Overheard "I'm a gloabal services manager," at BWI a couple weeks ago, when a "gentleman" was told that the doors had shut on his flight to Dallas and he couldn't board. Don't know how him being a "global services manager" changes things, but his flight left at 3:30, and he was at the gate at 3:20 which most frequent fliers know is too late, especially at an airport like BWI which isn't known for having too many delays. The gate rep tried to explain the 3:30 means the plane is rolling down the runway for departure, not that the doors close at that time. Needless to say this man was pretty upset, in addition to being a global services manager, he also stated that he had a 1st class ticket. I guess he thought that would get him on, which of course it didn't. Maybe if he were a global services director or VP he would have had some luck, I hear they stop everything for those dudes  Big grin

SafetyDude

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:53 am

I think the best one occurred on Airline with a drunk passenger: "If you can smoke before you fly, if you can have sex before you fly, then why can't you fly before you drink...I mean drink before you fly."

Also, "NO! I'm not...um...a drunk."

Also recently on LGA-MIA, the plane was being catered and a bunch of 20-something girls said to themselves "Hey, watch out! That's our food!" Right. Food on LGA-MIA  Laugh out loud

On a jetBlue flight from MCO-JFK, at crusing altitude, I suddenly felt something brushing against me and I looked down and there was a cat! I rang the FA call button to point out this wandering cat, and one FA quickly asked who had a cat:
FA: "Excuse me, everyone. Does anyone have a cat onboard?"
Woman: "Yes, I do."
FA: "Is the cat with now?"
Woman: "Oh no, I let it wander around."  Nuts

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

foxecho

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:11 am

I think my stupid story of the year happned a few weeks ago...

Moron:"I want to know if my daughter is on the flight" (daughter is 25 for the record)

Me: "I'm sorry, but we are not allowed to give out personal passenger information"

Moron: "thats why the airlines are losing money"

Me: -confused look, walks away slowly, keeping mouth shut-

he went and said the excat same thing to an SEC (former PSA) about 5 minutes later.

Andrew
..uh, we'll need that to live......

geoffm

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 am

Funniest one I saw was on Airline I think, with Brittania. Boots is a UK high street chemist/pharmacist (amongst other things). Went something like this:

Passenger (having just bought 200 ciggys duty free on board): Can I smoke these?
FA: We don't allow smoking on our flights
Passenger (getting irate): Why can't I f*kin smoke them? You sold me 200 cigarettes on this plane, so why can't I smoke them on this plane?
FA: I buy condoms from Boots. Need I say more?
Passenger: fits of giggles

Geoff M.

727LOVER

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:51 am

Overheard "I'm a gloabal services manager," at BWI a couple weeks ago, when a "gentleman" was told that the doors had shut on his flight to Dallas and he couldn't board. Don't know how him being a "global services manager" changes things, but his flight left at 3:30, and he was at the gate at 3:20 which most frequent fliers know is too late, especially at an airport like BWI which isn't known for having too many delays. The gate rep tried to explain the 3:30 means the plane is rolling down the runway for departure, not that the doors close at that time

Actually, I thought it WAS the doors-closed time. If its the rolling down the runway time, then at ATL or LGA if the ticket says departure time at 3:30, then the gate would close at 3:00.  Nuts That gate rep is wrong!!!!
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

steede

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:24 am

Actually, I thought it WAS the doors-closed time. If its the rolling down the runway time, then at ATL or LGA if the ticket says departure time at 3:30, then the gate would close at 3:00.   That gate rep is wrong!!!!

Don't know if the gate rep was wrong or not, but in this case I guess he was right since the jetway was closed and the doors were shut. I always thought the departure time was when the wheels are rolling too. For the record it was a AA flight. I don't work in the biz, and don't consider myself an expert, but would like to hear a consensus on what the departure time really means. Wheels rolling? Doors closing?....etc. Luckily for me I can usually get to the airport in plenty of time to make my departure time without any hiccups. When I'm connecting, I try to allow at least 1.5 hours if I'm going through a place like Atlanta, DFW, O'Hare...etc.

diesel33

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:28 am

As far as I know the departure time is when the brakes are released.
So, if the aircraft door were to be closed exactly at departure time the breaks would have to wait till the jetway is retracted, the flight would actually trip out late.

The aircraft door is supposed to be closed around 5 minuted prior to schedule in order for the breaks to trip out 'on-time.'

I hope this makes some sense....

-Diesel33

goomba

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:35 am

Let's face it...the world is full of stupid people. No matter what industry you work in.

727LOVER

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:42 am

Diesel33, you could be right. I just KNOW it is not 'roling down the runway' time. That would make no sense.
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:12 am

727lover, maybe he meant rolling towards the runway  Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AIR757200

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:21 am

The funny thing is... some of the dumb quotes appear in people's thread on this site when they have to nag about the awful service they received on whatever airline.

airways6max

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:41 am

During a long taxi, the grumpy old man next to me said

"I didn't realize we were DRIVING all the way there."