MAH4546
Topic Author

Thai Airways Considering JFK, MIA, SFO, And ORD

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:24 am

This is The Business Times Singapore:

Thai Airways revises flight schedule

(BANGKOK) Thai Airways International has revised its flight schedule, adding three new destinations while reducing travel to others to reflect demand, a company spokesman said on Friday.

Thai Airways will launch flights to Bangalore, India, starting on March 29; Jihong, China, starting March 31; and Milan, Italy, on May 1, said the spokesman. Flights between Bangkok and Tokyo will increase from 18 to 21 per week starting on March 28.

The airline will reduce the number of weekly flights from Bangkok to Los Angeles from seven to four starting March 28. Flights between Bangkok and Paris will be cut from 10 to seven per week.

The carrier terminated its Switzerland flights between Zurich and Geneva as of Feb 1, but is still flying daily from Bangkok to Zurich.

Beginning May 1, the number of flights weekly between Bangkok and London will increase by one to 13, and an additional flight on the Bangkok-Munich route will bring the total to five each week.

Thai Airways plans to begin flights to Moscow in October 2004, and is considering starting flights to New York, Chicago, San Francisco or Miami, a statement said.

Kanok Abhiradee, the airline's president, said the new changes reflect demand for business and leisure travel.
------------------------------------------------

Service to New York, Chicago, and San Francsico, cool. Though Miami? I was shocked they are even considering it. For Miami's benefit, our Asian community is very small, but Thai's represent the second largest group, and the wealthiest group. Though still, very odd. I would assume Thai would hope to make money on Miami service mainly on the Europe-Miami leg they operate the flight on. I'm not going to hold by breath for this one, but Thai at Miami would be cool.
a.

LambertMan

RE: Thai Airways Considering JFK, MIA, SFO, And ORD

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:35 am

Considering there isn't NRT service at the moment, (direct 772 this summer though right?) it would surprise me as well. MIA is a strong market though, FinnAir is the latest testament and we'll see how strong it is if they do decide on MIA.

The777Man

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:36 am

I think they probably will start service to JFK or ORD first; NYC has a lot of traffic to Thailand including business travel and ORD is a big city too and of course a big hub for United Airlines, their US Star Alliance partner.

I'm also surprised that they mentioned MIA at all. We'll see what happens.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

jeffrysky

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:36 am

Does any Asian airline operate its own equipment to Miami at the moment ?? I can't think of any ..

it's usually the north asian carriers , rather than south-east asian carriers , that offer the widest connections into the US. so for thai to operate a route into the States that is not offered by JAL , ANA or KAL , is quite a stunner.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 am

Though I sincerely doubt it... perhaps TG could inaugurate the much-pined-for NRT-MIA  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:54 am

Does any Asian airline operate its own equipment to Miami at the moment ?? I can't think of any ..

Yup. El Al Israel Airlines operates to Miami twice a week. 777s on Tuesdays and 744s on Thursdays.

China Airlines operates cargo service between Miami and Taipei via Anchorage. I believe it is 3x a week.

There is definitley a market for a non-stop to Tokyo a few times a week (3-4). Miami is now the largest US metro without non-stops to Tokyo (and before people show me 2000 Census figures, I remind you that in 2003, the US Census divised new metropolitan area boundries, rules, etc. Miami is now #6). However, it still needs some feed. It is best left to LanChile/American Airlines. I would love to see Thai give it a shot, it has potential.

[Edited 2004-03-16 18:59:34]
a.

scottysair

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:57 am

Well, is that was added new service to MIA, JFK, ORD & SFO. I think that would be good for Thai Airways and will direct one-stop in Europe or Asia.

airbazar

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:03 am

If they were to operate to MIA from some one of their cities in Europe like MAD, MUC, LHR, CPH, ARN, I can see that working pretty well.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:10 am

If they were to operate to MIA from some one of their cities in Europe like MAD, MUC, LHR, CPH, ARN, I can see that working pretty well.

I agree, any of them can work very well, and they can slap a partners codeshare on all of them. MAD, CPH, or ARN could work best. MAD is a big O&D market, and AA/IB controls it all. JK could also codeshare. Miami's only non-stops to Scandanvia are Finnair's HEL flights, which are very popular. ARN/CPH could work, and SK would gladly codeshare. MUC is already served by Lufthansa and, starting in May, LTU. LHR would present problems, as in air treaty issues and slots.
a.

scottysair

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:46 am

I agree with MAH4546

vulindlela744

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:54 am

This is very interesting news for us South Floridians. I for one would love to see a non stop to Asia from Mia. There would also be a market because alot of Brazilians fly to Tokyo. Brazil has a huge population of Japanese that live in Sao Paulo. They could fly to MIA with Varig (Star Alliance) and take Thai to NRT from MIA. It would cut time off from going to LAX and then connecting to NRT. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

thaiaggie

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:44 am

Wow. That's surprised me too. I could see JFK,ORD and SFO but MIA??? But again this is THAI we are talking so we'll have to wait and see what's gonna happen. Big grin

Remember about service to Oslo? What happened to that?...nothing. Anyway, I wish TG comes back to DFW but I doubt it.

Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

dutchjet

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:26 am

Thai opening a MIA-AA), Japan">NRT-BKK flight could be a very interesting move; as pointed out above, MIA is lacking a nonstop flight to Tokyo; the potential is there: MIA and south Florida is the home to many banks and businesses plus all of that tourist traffic, not to mention that travelling from South America to Japan via MIA could be developed.

Off topic: there were rumors that AA was looking very closely at introducing a MIA-Tokyo service with 777s - anyone have any news about this? I find it odd that AA is attempting JFK-AA), Japan">NRT and LAX-AA), Japan">NRT (so much competition on these routes) while ignoring MIA-AA), Japan">NRT which is wide open at the moment.....especially when considering AA's huge hug operation at AA.

DB777

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:32 pm

Why would anyone in Sao Paulo fly to MIA or LAX to get to Narita when Japan Airlines serves the NRT/GRU/NRT route direct at least twice a week and maybe more per week with B747-400's?

This is the old JAL DC8 route that used to stop at MIA twice a week for fuel and when they obtained B747-400's they eliminated the fuel stop at MIA.
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

behramjee

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:39 pm

Its very simple ORD is a HUGE UAL hub and so is SFO on a smaller scale.

JFK will be mainly because NYC area mkt is v imp for all airlines and MIA as a gateway to Latin America though I dont see any big time traffic on this MIA route for TG.

But yeah i would definitely bet on SFO and ORD...esp ORD as from ORD, UAL can take you virtually anywhere in North America nonstop.

miamix707

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:54 pm

woudln't it make more sense geographically at least to fly from Sao Paulo to LA, then on to Tokyo instead of Sao Paulo-Miami-Tokyo?

Yes as MAH4546 said the only Asian airline servicing Miami is China Airlines. This is only a cargo flight though, and the planes are actually leased by Atlas air (so it's not their own planes)

Regarding EL AL I don't think Israelis consider themselves Asian  Big grin That's the middle east and more European than Asian

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Why would anyone in Sao Paulo fly to MIA or LAX to get to Narita when Japan Airlines serves the NRT/GRU/NRT route direct at least twice a week and maybe more per week with B747-400's?

JAL's NRT-GRU flights stop in LAX or JFK, depending on the day of the week.

though I dont see any big time traffic on this MIA route for TG.

I do. They'd fill the plane easily. Though it would be still be a risk. SFO, ORD, and JFK are safer bets.

woudln't it make more sense geographically at least to fly from Sao Paulo to LA, then on to Tokyo instead of Sao Paulo-Miami-Tokyo?

Nope. NRT-GRU via Miami is 11509nm. NRT-GRU via Los Angeles is 98nm longer at 11607.

Regarding EL AL I don't think Israelis consider themselves Asian That's the middle east and more European than Asian

Doesn't really matter what they consider themselves. Israel is in the Middle East. The Middle East is in Asia. Therefore, El Al is an Asian airline. Simple as that.

a.

miamix707

Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:22 pm

Israel is in the middle of Europe and Asia. El Al is not considered an Asian airline, but Middle Eastern or if anything else, European (I know u know a lot) but maybe your geography is kinda off. And at least from a map, MIA is further east than LAX from NRT.

The typical israeli doesn't have Asian features, if I was from there and u told me that I'm Asian I would let you know you are a moron, simple as that.

vadheim

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Thai was supposed to start operations from Bangkok to Oslo via Copenhagen 3 times a week effective from 04.01.04. They never started the service even though it was advertised in media here in Norway. However according to this article from Bangkok Times it seems like they still plan to start a service in the future using A340-600  Smile

--------------------------------------------------

From Bangkok Times 12th. March 2004:

National carrier may replace 20 money-losing routes
Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) is overhauling its international flight schedule by suspending traditional money-losing flights including the Bangkok-Los Angeles route via Narita and introducing more promising destinations.

Some 20 loss-making routes could be cut as services to Moscow, Milan and Bangalore are due to start next month.

Suthep Suebsantiwong, the airline's executive vice-president for commercial affairs, said the national carrier had lost about 700 million baht a year on the Bangkok-Narita-Los Angeles route because of heavy competition and reduced travel by Thais since the events of Sept 11, 2001. The flights will be suspended at the end of this month.

However, the airline plans to increase its Bangkok-Osaka-Los Angeles flights from three to four a week.

Aircraft formerly on the Los Angeles route through Narita will be shifted to higher frequency Bangkok-Tokyo flights, one of its most profitable routes.

THAI also stopped flying to Zurich and Geneva earlier this month.

At the same time, it will terminate daytime flights to Paris next month and the aircraft capacity will be used to increase flights to London and Munich.

With the delivery of two Airbus 340-500 ultra-long haul aircraft in March or April next year, THAI will begin to offer new non-stop flights to New York, Chicago or San Francisco, said Chaiwat Chanapai, vice-president for sales and distribution.

The two new jets will be used to provide six flights a week to the second US destination and in October next year, a third A 340-500 will start offering three flights a week to the third US city.

Another A340-600 to be delivered in June or July next year is expected to serve secondary routes in Europe such as Amsterdam, Oslo or Vienna.

The airline is also looking at adding flights to South and Central America with non-stop services to Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City or Sao Paolo next year.

The route restructuring is expected to help improve profits for the national carrier by two billion baht this year.

For the current fiscal year ending on Sept 30, THAI expects to generate 150 billion baht in revenue with 20 billion baht in pre-tax profit, said Mr Suthep. Last year, it earned 18 billion baht in profit on revenue of 130 billion.

THAI shares closed yesterday on the Stock Exchange of Thailand at 59.50 baht, down 1.50 baht, in trade worth 153.3 million baht.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Israel is in the middle of Europe and Asia.

what?

Isreal is in asia like seattle is in usa and vancouver is in canada.Turkey and Russia are the only two countries in both continents.
okay maybe in aviation isreal is often catigorized in the european market but its still in asia.
if you asked an isreali what continent he was from he would say asia.

United Airline

Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:54 pm

Does TG have enough aircraft? What aircraft do they plan to use?

airbazar

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:00 am

I know this is way off topic but regardless of what Israelis think of themselves, geographically Israel is an Asian country but politically they are European, or should I say, aligned with Europe. There is no such thing as a Middle East continent.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 am

And at least from a map, MIA is further east than LAX from NRT.

Yes, it is. Though it is still shorter to fly GRU-NRT via MIA. It is nothing more than simple addition:

GRU-MIA=4072mi
MIA-NRT=7437mi
=11509mi

GRU-LAX=6156mi
LAX-NRT=5451mi
=11607mi

Israel is in the middle of Europe and Asia. El Al is not considered an Asian airline, but Middle Eastern or if anything else, European (I know u know a lot) but maybe your geography is kinda off.

The typical israeli doesn't have Asian features, if I was from there and u told me that I'm Asian I would let you know you are a moron, simple as that.

The only that looks like a moron right now is you. El Al is an Asian airline. Israel is in Asia. The fact that the typical Israeli does not have Asian features does not matter. It does not change the fact that Israel is in Asia. What you are saying is ridiculous, and makes you sound quite ignorant. Is Egypt, where most of the people are of Arabic descent, not in Africa? Is South Africa, which has a large white community, not in Africa?

You are the only one sounding like an idiot.
a.

heisan67

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:24 am

Another A340-600 to be delivered in June or July next year is expected to serve secondary routes in Europe such as Amsterdam, Oslo or Vienna.

Yes Thai is considering Oslo as destination they would like to start service to in the near future.
And when SAS now is cutting the number of flights from CPH to BKK a Thai route from Oslo is even more likely to become reality.

pera

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:28 am

I have also heard they want to increase their ARN-BKK service from 4 to 5x weekly!

vulindlela744

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:29 am

Well said MAH4546!!!! Those are my sentiments exactly.

Lufthansa747

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:00 am

How about BKK-HEL-OSL? Norway is not in the EU, so probably TG could get local traffic rights as well... 772 or A330 would probably be the right sized aircraft but currently both are configured for regionals.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

peteinmiami

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:26 am

MIA Is lacking of that non stop connection to Asia, and lately I see a lot of tourists with Asian features around Miami, and there is a lot of business travelers too, besides people connecting from Latin America and the Caribbean region that could be potential customers for that route. Regarding China Airlines using Atlas aircrafts to fly the route MIA-TPE and not their own, not sure, yesterday I saw the CI 747-400 cargo taking off from MIA with the full China Airlines colors.

Skyguy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:51 am

TG has ALWAYS had rights to fly LHR to JFK and still do. This was as per a TG Station Manager in LHR who I knew a few years ago. They did not fly the route but had the option to do so, because of intense competition on the route from the US and British airlines, and also there was not enough ethnic traffic for them to pick up as Air India does on the route. However, they may choose to do so now but I'm skeptical if they will be successful in filling up the seats on a 744 unless they sell the seats cheap as do Kuwait Airways and Air India on the route.
If I remember correctly, for some bizarre reason in the 1980's when TG flew to LA they also served DFW for one or two seasons and then dropped the route, can anyone confirm this?
More importantly however is the fact that TG's marketing and sales in the US sucks, they do not aggresivele sell and the only way their expansion into the US will succeed is if they are able to market the services against competition from SQ and CX and get bums on seats for the flights back to Thailand. I do not think they can do this in the short term.
Comments anyone?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

SingaporeFA

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:11 am

I think its most likely NYC.If SQ couldnt make it in ORD i wonder what are the odds Thai can.I actually wonder why SQ couldnt turn a profit on its ORD flights.Was it because of the routing AMS/ORD or was it because they used a 2 class 777 or what?I know Las Vegas was a flop due to low loads that was expected but Chicago the busiest airport in the world?

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:35 am

Yes as MAH4546 said the only Asian airline servicing Miami is China Airlines. This is only a cargo flight though, and the planes are actually leased by Atlas air (so it's not their own planes)

What are you talking about? They fly thier own planes to MIA:

Taken 16 February 2004:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryan Kaskel

Taken 16 January 2004:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

Taken 25 October 2003:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Morris Biondi

a.

Ex_SQer

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:10 am

If SQ couldnt make it in ORD i wonder what are the odds Thai can.I actually wonder why SQ couldnt turn a profit on its ORD flights.Was it because of the routing AMS/ORD or was it because they used a 2 class 777 or what?

SQ was not expecting to turn a profit on ORD for quite a while. Unfortunately, 9/11 and SARS happened, and my understanding was that they pulled the route because they did not want to bleed even more cash.

The routing via AMS wasn't ideal because AMS is pretty low yield, and having only 3 flights per week pushed yields lower because they could not attract business travellers. The 2-class service was appropriate, though.

Other factors that affected profitability included: long ground time at ORD (about 10 hours) and lack of cooperation with UA to capture connecting traffic.

More importantly however is the fact that TG's marketing and sales in the US sucks, they do not aggresivele sell

They often appoint people from head office to manage sales abroad. From what I understand, the LAX appointees tend to be motivated by politics rather than ability.

PA110

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:51 am

They often appoint people from head office to manage sales abroad. From what I understand, the LAX appointees tend to be motivated by politics rather than ability.

So true! LAX is the dumping ground for family/political connections. The past several regional managers have barely spoken english, have dubious credentials in sales/marketing and did little or nothing to promote the carrrier beyond the local ethnic Thai community in Los Angeles. As a result, they captured very few high yield passengers, but filled the back of the plane with rock bottom low yield. Then cut the frequency, because it wasn't making any money?

Is "duh" a word in Thai?
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

THAIlover

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:54 am

JFK has always been dream for THAI. It has been in proposal years before but it never happened because they had problem with the slot.(that what I heard). But if they really come to JFK, I'll sure fly home with them.... ^_^
Getting my feet on the rudders and hands on YOKE!!!

Skyguy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:46 am

""JFK has always been dream for THAI. It has been in proposal years before but it never happened because they had problem with the slot.(that what I heard). But if they really come to JFK, I'll sure fly home with them.... ^_^""

JFK has not really been a dream, they have always had a slot since who knows how many decades now, (the route was in those days BKK-DEL-LHR-JFK return), but never flew the LHR-JFK sector as they did not think they had enough demand and the vicious competition on that route. Apart from the US/UK airlines, Air India, Kuwait Airways, El-Al and Thai Airways are the only other airlines that have fifth freedom rights on this route.

Perhaps they may fly in now but given that they don't even fly LAX daily anymore I think its would be unlikely they would fly daily to JFK, sure demand is there but is it enough to make money?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

miamix707

Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:33 am

to MAH and all your other geeky friends

Airbazar wrote: There is no such thing as a middle east continent

There ya go, you payed attention in middle school history class  Big thumbs up however there is a region called the middle east, if you didnt know.. (uh? duh? where!!??) and El Al would be grouped under that regional category, and thats all I said.

sorry for not been extremely nerdily precise as you all. I meant to say Israel is pretty much borderline between the European and Asian continent. Actualy it's borderline between Europe and the lands of the middle east, not even Asia. MAH again if you look at a map being the know-it-all that you seem to be, Israel borders the Mediterranean sea, technically that's nowhere near Asia.. in fact check this map out http://www.tomaszma.3d.pl/azja.html
Anyways when one mentions service from Asia you think of China, Japan, Indonesia, Mongolia, Burma, Thailand, etc and thats was my logic. I don't try to make it seem like I know a lot unlike you and your buddies that agree with you, (How could I)! All of you are the benchmark of knowledge  Laugh out loud sorry if my simple logic hit your egos that hard (i'm truly sorry) Thai serving Miami? If the past is any indication, it won't happen. Much more logical services than that are always said to start MIA soon and they never do. Just to name a few recent ones: LOT, Aerosur, Pluna, Atlas Jet.. But nice if it happens.

The only that looks like a moron right now is you. El Al is an Asian airline. Israel is in Asia. The fact that the typical Israeli does not have Asian features does not matter. It does not change the fact that Israel is in Asia. What you are saying is ridiculous, and makes you sound quite ignorant. Is Egypt, where most of the people are of Arabic descent, not in Africa? Is South Africa, which has a large white community, not in Africa?

Again, get a map buddy Israel is right next to Egypt; in fact they share a border and yes Egypt is in Africa not Asia. Nice to see you thought long and hard about that one before saying it. Yet it didn't work...as for the South Africa part, dumb example and still you don't make sense. But nice try

You are the only one sounding like an idiot

oh no please noo!... so I'm an idiot, thanks and you just proved you belong in the club. So make that 2 of us

Well said MAH4546!!!! Those are my sentiments exactly

well, make that 3  Laugh out loud

As far as China Airlines they've recently brought in B-registered ones but not so long ago they were bringing one ore more US registered 744Fs leased form Atlas. Thanks for the examples, I have about x20 that number of shots of CAL 747s at MIA. But really, say you are 100 percent correct who cares? So there have fun continuing to sound like a know it all dweeb in the quest to sound intellectual in the forum at the expense of others. I would still smack the nerd out of you (just for the fun of it) if I was from anywhere near there, Iraqi, Egyptian, Mediterranean, Black, Jew or whatever and u called me Asian

wilco

Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:06 am

Again, get a map buddy Israel is right next to Egypt; in fact they share a border and yes Egypt is in Africa not Asia.

Some facts for your from someone with a degree in political geography:

-Geographically, Asia and Europe are considered one continent: Eurasia.
-Politcally, Istanbul is considered to 'stradle' Asia and Europe. In Russia, the Ural Mountains mark the 'division' between Europe and Asia. South of Russia, the Black Sea divides Europe and Asia. Israel is well East of Istanbul and the Black Sea, therfore in Asia
-The continent that a country is located within has nothing to do with its neighbors (why are you talking about Egypt????).
-The "Middle East" is a region, not a continent.

If you still fail believe me, maybe you will believe the American Heritage Dictionary:
Israel: "A country of southwest Asia on the eastern Mediterranean Sea"

Grow a brain.

-wilco
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

zonks

RE: Thai Airways Considering JFK, MIA, SFO, And Or

Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:31 am

Jihong, China? Huh? Has anyone ever heard of this place? I did a search on Google and didn't find this place and airlinecodes.co.uk doesn't have a record of a location of that name.

Hope someone can clear this all up.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:39 am

Again, get a map buddy Israel is right next to Egypt; in fact they share a border and yes Egypt is in Africa not Asia.

So, let me get this straight, Colombia must be in North America because it borders Panama, right?

and El Al would be grouped under that regional category, and thats all I said.

Of course Israel is in the Middle East. But the Middle East is in Asia. The same way that Central America and the Caribbean are in North America.

And you want maps? Look at these maps of Asia:

http://www.yesinc.com/images/map-asia-nm.gif
http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/koukan/map/asia/image/map_asia.gif
http://www.scscookson.com/images/map-asia.gif
http://www.worldinformation.com/PICS/Asia/Map_Asia.gif
http://www.grouptravel.co.uk/images/map-asia.gif

Or, we could just look it up in the encylopedia:
The State of Israel is a state in Asia, in the Middle East. It has a majority Jewish population, bordering on the Mediterranean Sea. It is a geographically small country, with a population of just over six million (excluding the territories of the West Bank, Gaza and the Golan Heights).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

(Ĭz´rēel) , officially State of Israel, republic (1995 est. pop. 5,607,900), 7,992 sq mi (20,700 sq km), SW Asia, on the Mediterranean Sea.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/I/Israel.asp

Or, we can just go to this Geography FAQ:
Q: Where is the border between Asia and Africa?
A: The commonly accepted border between Asia and Africa is the one between Egypt and Israel, lying along the eastern side of the Sinai Peninsula. Thus, Israel is in Asia and Egypt is in Africa. However, both are commonly included in the region known as the Middle East.

http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzborderasiaafrica.htm

Or, hey, let's Google the term, "Israel is in Asia":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Israel+is+in+asia%22

However, I guess I am wrong (and hence, so are all those sources and the people that backed me up) since I am such a "know it all".

a.

miamix707

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:21 pm

Wilco -funny name by the way

You are trying to make fun of someone that used to know all the world's countries and their respective capitals. Look I knew my geography way before you had even heard anything about the black sea and what eurasia is. For your information I learned the Ural mountains in the -then Soviet Union, devided Europe from Asia when I was about 9 years old. I don't need to look at any definitions in your American Heritage Dictionary. Americans are the ones that know the least about geography anyways. I wasn't even required to take geography in high school (not like i was going to learn much in there anyways). Not even in required in college.

So now some clueless skater boy like yourself says he has a supposed degree or whatever in political geography ...big deal. I don't need prove my point by lying saying I have a degree on something. Please guy, I knew my geography when you were still shitting in your pants. I used to draw maps as a child it was one of my hobbies and I bet I understood more about politics (another of my interests) when I was 12 than you'll ever know, having also lived on a communist country. I gotta know my geography since I'm also a nature freak. Birds, fish, coral reefs; familiar with many of these species' scientific names, habitat limits and their world geographical distributions. And no I don't have any sorry degree. I bet u had no clue you were gonna feel all stupid right? I suggest you shut up. Not trying to sound cocky or anything but your just another moron, The club just gets bigger...

/////////////

The continent that a country is located within has nothing to do with its neighbors (why are you talking about Egypt????).
The "Middle East" is a region, not a continent

You're proof that a degree doesn't make the individual any brighter. First read what the other poster I was referring to wrote maybe you will see. Yes the Middle East is a region, not a continent, did I say it was one? look go put your bottle-bottom glasses on before you read

Grow a brain

get a few more degrees…

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:29 pm

It's funny. Instead of acknowledging the fact that you were incorrect, as proven to you in various posts, such as the one right above yours, you go ahead and act even more idiotic in a very immature and rude post putting down someone who was not lying.
a.

miamix707

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:34 pm

Man I gotta find something better to do with my time now that i'm on spring break. Other than fighting off these nerd advances..

MAH4546 just give it up guy, I ain't even gonna read all that. Whatever you say. This is all irrelevant anyways. Don't waste your energy in trying to prove people wrong with little links and photos. Even if being right, you still look pretty foolish.. Anyways to me El Al is not an Asian airline and thats that.

miamix707

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:57 pm

Looking at some maps here and yes Israel is on the westernmost part of the Asian continent. For some reason I wasn't associating Israel with Asia. But geographically it is part of Asia. By the way my apologies for any name calling. Very childish of me. I might cross paths with some of you one day.. so again, I apologize.

vulindlela744

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:34 pm

Hey boys and girls.......let's get back on the subject. We all know Israel is in Asia. That is just the fact. Just because the Israeli people don't have slanted eyes doesn't mean they are not in Asia.

wilco

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:00 am

Miami707... glad you came around finally. Your mistake brings up a really good point thought: CONTINENTS are probably the crappiest way of defining a countries location.

Like we said, Asia and Europe are the same continent... And what about New Zealand? What continent does she fall into?

REGIONS are a much better way if you ask me. Then you can include the South Pacific, the Middle East, Central America, Latin America, etc.... (and you could have bioregions that addresses species distribution and climate zones).

That said: I don't think Israelis consider themselves Asian. I agree. I think they consider themselves Middle Eastern.

Regards,
Wilco

PA110

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:05 am

Attn Miamix707 & Wilco,
The topic is TG opening up new routes to the USA. If you don't have anything to contribute to the topic, then take your Israel/Asia circle-jerk to another thread.

[Edited 2004-03-19 19:13:45]

wilco

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:17 am

Sorry PA110 but this is a discussion board. Discussions have sidebars and wander sometimes.

I don't have anything to contribute but I do have a question... where is Thai getting the aircraft to operate all these new routes? I know they are cutting their LAX and CDG frequencies but that still doesn't seem like enough a/c for these new endeavors... are they leasing/buying new planes?

wilco

keno

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:26 am

I think we can all agree that we had enough Israel geography lessons for today  Big thumbs up

Jihong, China? Huh? Has anyone ever heard of this place? I did a search on Google and didn't find this place and airlinecodes.co.uk doesn't have a record of a location of that name.

Couldn't find Jihong either. We couldn't find it most likely because of the variation in the romanized chinese name spelling. It's like trying to spell Xi'an - some write it as Sian. Anyone from China / HK / Taiwan / Thailand care to explain?

EDIT :

Mystery solved. Just go to Thai website and do a schedule search.
The routing is Chiang Mai (CNX) - Gasa Airport, Jinghong, (JHG), operated on AT7. Flight duration 90 mins, twice a week. It lies in Yunnan province (which borders Thailand), but there's no major cities around. It's meant for Xishuangbanna Nature Reserve - I could only guess that it's popular with Thai tourists.

see
http://www.sinohost.com/yunnan_travel/xishuangbanna.html

No wonder it's hard to find this place. The article used the name Jihong, Amadeus uses Jinghong, and my atlas says Yunjinghong. Well, at least everybody learns a bit about Chinese geography for a change!

[Edited 2004-03-19 19:51:01]

miamix707

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:54 am

PA110... your kinda late on the thread anyways...

Wilco I agree continents are a poor way of defining a country's location. For example Mexico is considered to be part of North America yet a big part of Mexico falls further south into the region of Central America. Many latin americans don't think of Mexico as North America. Maybe the geographical division stems from when the western and southwestern part of the US was Mexican territory? Maybe you know the reason.

The New Zealand example is a great one. Now unfortunately mr Vulindlela744 is still trying to be smart and the other guy well, he just regarded another poster's comments as "dumb" in another thread...

Very interesting last post Wilco

regards,
Miamix707

PA110

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:54 am

Wilco,
I think your question was answered in reply #18. TG appears to be placing orders for A340-500 and A340-600 series aircraft from what others have recently posted. Given the pathetic management they've had in the US thus far, I can't see them being able to manage more gateways anytime soon. Two years ago they closed all their US regional sales offices and kept just one small office in LAX. This has predictably had a negative impact on maintaining sales on their only route, hence the frequency is being cut. This isn't the first time TG has done this. They just don't understand what it takes to be successful in the US market. Don't get me wrong, there were some very talented and able individuals in the regional sales offices, but unfortunately they answered to completely inept senior managers, sent out from BKK due to political/family connections.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos