Flightlover

United Companion Tickets

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:15 am

I used to get a fair number of companion tickets on United Airlines. Recently, however, my friend told me that United raised the price on these tickets and that it is quite expensive to fly on them.
Does anybody know what is the price at this point? How many cents per mile? Do you have to pay airport taxes? Any other information would be useful.
By the way is it still cheaper to fly on companion passes or is a good deal on expedia a better choice?

FA4UA

RE: United Companion Tickets

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:40 am

United's companion passes were recently recalibrated. They used to be charged on a per mile fee with three different catagories (long haul, medium and short).

Less then a year ago they changed it to be Market driven so it now reflects a portion of the lowest ticketed walk up fare. On markets like SFO-DEN where there is little competition you'll pay out your nose, however on the SFO-JFK route it's really really cheap. It's all a derivative of the market.

One can not simply say that Companion Fares are good or bad... it's all dependant on the city pairs that you're flying and how much competition there is.

In my experience when companion fares are within reach of a discount fare from Hotwire.com, I would tell my friends to go with hotwire and not fuss with the stress of standby travel.

Hope this helps your understanding!
FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

Flightlover

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:44 am

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful. I was considering flying United on a companion pass to SFO from DCA. But with all the deals that they have at this time I think I will end up just buying a reserved seat.

FA4UA

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:49 am

if you flew IAD-SFO that would be worth it since we fly a few wide-bodies on that route with three class service. IMHO thats the only time buddy passes are worth the stress of standby... getting a premium seat!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

artsyman

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:55 am

When the United employee's refer to companion passes, are you refering to buddy passes, or a specific person that you can allocate pass priviledges to on you your passes ?.

At Continental, you get x number of International, and x number of Domestic Buddy passes available to each employee to give to anyone you like. There is also the Companion pass program in that employees can each nominate a friend to be on their passes with them (can only be added once per year, and once they are on your passes, they are on them for the year). This person can fly as often as they like, to anywhere they want, for the same price that the employee pays for pass travel. If the employee has 10 years of seniority or more, then pass travel is totally free for both the employee and for the campanion pass rider.

Flightlover

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:38 pm

FA4UA,
Is their any way you could know what would be the price on flying from IAD-SFO in economy on a companion pass?
Thanks