NWAFA
Topic Author

SWA Crew Today

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:54 am

I commuted home and on my WN flight, the flight attendants for the entire 1.5 flight never put the PA down. The flight was about half full, and there were about 50 well dressed business men that asked a couple of times to the F/A's if they would mind not talking so much on the PA as they wanted to get some work done. This flippen FA snapped back to this gentlemen and said

"If you don't like the jokes then fly someone else because we are all about joking around".

This guy then said to the FA "no your just a joke of an airline"...I laughed so hard almost peed my pants!

Yikes.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

COAB767

RE: SWA Crew Today

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:59 am

LMAO, that is so funny, I too think WN is a joke of an airline.

[Edited 2004-03-18 03:03:12]
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

NWAFA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 am

CO,

Yea I laughed so hard. I have to agree with you on that one. But I feel its because of WN that we have the loss of the wonderful industry it was. When they took off the airlines were forced to compete with them which ment loosing one ramper...then one agent..a flight attendant. Pull down meals and such. Every one want to come out and say how great WN and LCC are, but look what they have created, transportation..thats it.

COAB767

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am

I think they should use AirTran or some other airline for the show "Airline"

VS346

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am

LOL great comeback.

I would hate to be a businessman traveling all over the US on WN. Sure the jokes and games are great for leisure travelers but after the 20th time enough is enough!

Cheers

VS346

Virgin-Atlantic: More experience than our name suggests

joerock7415

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:06 am

The first time I flew on WN I thought they were funny but I can see how they could take it too far. The sad thing is that most people probably eat that stuff up.

jeffrey1970

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:12 am

If they were not so great they would not be making money. People would not be paying Southwest to take them from point A to point B if they did not like them. It is not Southwest airlines fault that the legacy carriers are not doing so great right now. I know some legacy carriers are doing better then others. However, in my opinion, airlines such as Southwest are proving that it is possible to turn a profit, and for the most part keep passengers happy in this difficult times. Despite that angry passengers response, I have to believe that people keep going back to Southwest because of there good customer service.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Bobs89irocz

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:24 am

No, people keep going back to southwest because of there low fares. THATS IT. Ive only flow one other airline once in my life other then American and that was Southwest about 2 weeks ago (GEG (Spokan, WA)-SLC) i think the jokes would have been cool for me as a regular passanger but the business guy would hate it. Good thing the PA didnt work on this trip for the Business mans sake. However, most business people dont fly WN anyways, who likes to make 2-3 stops before there final destination as a business person?

BTW: I only flew southwest because AA doesnt service GEG.

ScottKBUF

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:26 am

Exactly Jeffrey, obviously some people enjoy all that. If nobody liked it, they wouldn't be doing it and they wouldn't have been profitable for the past 20 years. They must be doing something right.
Buffalo, NY

joerock7415

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 am

I think the point is that they are making money from acting like clowns because Billy Bob thinks it's funny and it's not doing anything for the name of the airline industry. Yes, they are making money, but at what price?

bobb

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:31 am

WN uses humour to their advantage, so they don't have to deal with unhappy employees, so they don't have to intall IFEs, to tame most passengers if you will, and there's nothing wrong with that. But lets be honest, WN's success is its expertise in the low cost arena.

I don't fly WN on business account, but will on my own wallet and just take my usual noise-cancelling earphones with me, at times when I had enough jokes and just want to Zzzzzz.

jeffrey1970

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:31 am

Bobs89irocz,

I must respectfully disagree. In Baltimore Southwest has not always offered the lowest fare. When Usairways had a much bigger presence at BWI there were many times when Usairways offered better fares. However Usairways is a skeleton of what they once were at BWI. I still believe that for many people, the good fares on Southwest may draw them in at first, but it is the good service that keeps them comming. That is just my opinion.

ScottKBUF,

Thank you very much. I agree with you.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Cactus739

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:54 am

I don't think I've ever put in my two cents in a topic like this, but might as well. I'll try to keep my comments short and sweet. Southwest should not be blamed for this grand demise of the airline industry. They simply gave consumers another choice. They offered the travelling public frequent flights, convenience, usually a low fare, and great customer service. I'm not an aviation professional, but I am a consumer, and that's exactly what I want. Southwest gives people a choice. When I had to book a trip for next week, I had 8 different choices for PHX-MCI (CO, AA, UA, DL, WN, HP, F9, NW) Southwest gave me a flight and a fare that fitted what I wanted, so they got my money.

As consumers, we all have a choice. If we don't like company A, we use company B. There is always company c and so on. NWAFA, I mean you no disrespect. But you have a choice too. If you don't care for Southwest's service and blame them for the state of air travel as it is, why do you give them your money? I know Northwest flies to Phoenix, I've taken them before...
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

COAB767

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:28 pm

Low fares my ass!!!!!!!
I just booked some travel for my aunt's friends to go from Seattle - Los Angeles there grand total was $1737.60 for 4 people, what a gyp.

ScottKBUF

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:34 pm

COAB767, last minute?
Buffalo, NY

Cactus739

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:35 pm

COAB767

How much was AS, UA, etc?

COAB767

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:38 pm

UA was about 465.00 roundtrip, per passenger
AS was about 378.24 roundtrip, per passenger, and yes these were last minute fares. They're leaving March 21st and I purchased the tickets March 12th

Cactus739

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:41 pm

I don't want to be argumentative... just trying to figure this out...

Ok... so lets say you booked AS..

4 tickets at 378.24 is 1512.96... more than $200 less than your Southwest tickets. Why did you not book AS instead of what you call a joke of an airline? (reply #1)

COAB767

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:47 pm

well i just made up the a 378.24 price. I couldnt remember it and i didnt feel like searching AS.com for the fares.

juanchie

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:50 pm

You have to keep in mind that WN gives people who couldn't previously fly the ability to do so. Personally, I can afford to fly delta and don't mind shelling out the 65-125 dollars it costs me to fly home with them. Eventually I think the bigger airlines will eventually realize that they cant compete with WN on their terms. AA, Delta and the others will NEVER be WN. They will never get their costs down that low. But they sure could become more efficient, save costs and improve their airline. I believe once the economy strengthens and the airlines lower their costs, traffic will shift back to the conventional airline. If the bigger airlines like Delta emphasize their strengths like International travel, smaller cities served and more conveniences and lower their prices, not down to WN but lower than now, people will throw down a little more money for better service and they wont need to listen to 2 hours of jokes.
Someone made a good point earlier when they said that WN made flying just transportation. Sometimes we get all caught up in our love for this industry and forget that for many people its just that. People really don't enjoy flying like they did in the days of Pan Am and deregulation and how could they. Flying is not as much fun for the average person as it is for many of us.

Just my two cents on the subject and what do I know, im only in college.

Juan Carlos
God, forgive me for who I am, and help me be the man I want to be.

737doctor

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:03 pm

NWAFA with yet another anti-Southwest post...will wonders never cease?  Insane
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

Tlima

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:05 pm

I do not think there is anything wrong with the way the WN crew act. It's always fun to board one of their planes and listen to the F/A's comments as it seems that they have something clever and funny to say every time.
I always laugh when I see those (business) pax that just role their eyes when they hear the cheesy announcements and you can tell they are so miserable! Come on, have a little fun and enjoy the trip, or take your own private jet if the announcements bother you that much...
I agree with a lot of the posts on here and that if they (the unhappy travelers) don't like WN or their service, then don't fly them, it's as simple as that.
I keep going back to Southwest because of many reasons, low priced tickets usually, good service, friendly F/A's, the fact that they don't charge me over $100 to change my flight schedule, even with the low discounted fare, and so on.

As a consumer, I think we get what we pay for. If I walk into a KIA dealership and see $9000 automobile but I want it to have the features of a BMW, then I may be a little disappointed...I will just have to accept what the KIA has to offer or dish up the additional $30G or so. Not to knock KIA down or anything but it's just the example...

Those are my 2 Pesos...
cheers,
TLIMA
- Meden Agan -

swacle

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:27 pm

In Baltimore Southwest has not always offered the lowest fare

No anywhere else in our system. This is discussed weekly at least. EVERY major tries to undercut WN in the advance purchase area, but try walking up and buying a ticket...$299 max on WN...what would US charge?

Low fares my ass!!!!!!!

See above =)

Don
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:28 pm

>>>NWAFA with yet another anti-Southwest post...will wonders never cease?

...and with a COA person who said, when queried about something they said, said, "well i just made up the a 378.24 price.."

Folks are certainly free to have their own personal opinions about SWA, but that said, the bias inherent in being an employee from a competing airline and/or making stuff up (to support a position) tends to drive the ol' credibility meter towards negative values...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

flyingbronco05

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:12 pm

File a complaint:

Mailing Address:
Southwest Airlines
Customer Relations
P.O. Box 36647 - 1CR
Dallas, Texas 75235-1647

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

dadoftyler

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:35 pm

NWFA,

Thanks for the info. There can't be that many NW Flight Attendants that flew WN on a pass as class "E" either 3/17 or 3/16 (just in case you were late posting your "observations") between LAX and PHX.

Your constant anti Southwest diatribes grow tiresome, and yet you keep flying us. Tell me, do you guys not get a reciprocal deal on HP?

FlyGuyClt

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:39 pm

My personal opinion is. If we are online putting out "who" we work for. We should have common courtesy for our competitors. We should also only stick with facts that are real and can be backed up. This galley talk sometimes is a little much. We all know the rumor mill, and we all know how some rumors are well. Just not true.

Safe Flying  Smile

We also know. If we are being honest with one another that every airline has some over the top employees.
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

pilatusguy

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:43 pm

Hi guys,

sittin' far away in Switzerland, never flown on Southwest - can someone tell me what this humour on board is all about?
Are the FA's like joking around all the time, what kinda jokes...????

Thanks!

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:58 pm

I'm sorry, I just have to post (and to be fair, I haven't yet read all the posts in this thread). But this statement I have to disagree with:

"Every one want to come out and say how great WN and LCC are, but look what they have created, transportation..thats it."

to quote from ScottKBUF:

"Exactly Jeffrey, obviously some people enjoy all that. If nobody liked it, they wouldn't be doing it and they wouldn't have been profitable for the past 20 years. They must be doing something right."

I'll paraphrase my original thoughts:
Air travel is rapidly becoming the next form of mass transit. To think that air travel is selective, or that it should only be reserved for the "upper class" as such, is to delude oneself into thinking that only the so called "upper class" has the privelege to travel by air, and that all other people should travel by ground. Do not forget, however, that the automobile was initially a luxury item, much the same as a seat on an airplane in the early days of passenger flight. A television was also a luxury item in the 50s and 60s....not so much these days (I will put in a disclaimer here, that I am referring mostly to the US). I just don't think that anyone can hide from the future of transportation, and it's pretty futile to speak against it.
Oh man, can I go to bed now?
~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:59 am

>>>My personal opinion is. If we are online putting out "who" we work for. We should have common courtesy for our competitors. We should also only stick with facts that are real and can be backed up. This galley talk sometimes is a little much. We all know the rumor mill, and we all know how some rumors are well. Just not true.

Exceptionally well said.....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ual777contrail

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:09 am

You WN fans are slamming NWAFA because he posted yet another anti-WN post? There are lot of ANTI-WN folks on this forum, I for one. You WN people are soooo sensitive, you guys can slam UAL and say how crappy they are but when one slams WN the greyhound of air travel you guys gang up on anyone who opposes you way of thinking.

Look at the airline show, if this is what you want, then fly them. Only 54% of their seats were filled on WN planes in JAN. 70% and higher for the rest of the industry. 62% for FEB. Yes, they make money but they don't fill their planes like the others. So if you like jokes and lame F/A's fly WN, if you cant afford to fly? And greyhound is more expensive, fly WN. You people need to let others express their opinions without jumping down there throats.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

Tom in NO

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:09 am

The sad thing is that most people probably eat that stuff up.

Precisely why they continue to do it. Livens up the flight, and loosens up the passengers. One of the many reasons why WN continues to be profitable (something almost all other airlines seem to be having trouble doing these days) is the fun that they at least attempt to put back in flying.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

737doctor

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:14 am

There are lot of ANTI-WN folks on this forum, I for one

Wow, I would have never guessed. You could have knocked me over with a feather...  Insane

SWAbubba

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:25 am

NWA,

You've complained about SWA several times in the past. Why do you keep flying us? I would think that someone who dislikes us that much would avoid flying with us at all costs...

VectorVictor

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:37 am

I don't believe this "incident" - if you want to call it that - ever took place.

"If you don't like the jokes then fly someone else because we are all about joking around".

Unless you paraphrased this statement for effect and your personal bias, its rather unlikely that any Southwest cabin crew member said something like that to any passenger.

So if you like jokes and lame F/A's fly WN...

Conversely, if you like to deal with a bitter customer service agent with an axe of jealousy the size of Pikes Peak to grind, by all means fly United...out of Colorado Springs.

learpilot

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:40 am

I call Bull&hit. I don't believe a SWA FA would tell one of her passengers to fly another airline. I do belive that they're trained to recognize when the passengers are in a joking mood, and when they are not. If a handfull of businessmen wanted them to shut up, they would have shut up.

Edit:
VectorVictor, looks like you stopped typing about the time I started. Good call.  Big grin

[Edited 2004-03-18 17:43:00]
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

737doctor

Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:49 am

Thank you Victor and Lear,

As a SWA employee, I didn't want to be the first one to sound the BS alarm...but I was thinking the same exact thing.

johnboy

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:01 am

Could this be several variations of the same person posting this supposed story and follow up?

The curious choice of words seems highly suspect at times.

"Peed my pants," "crappy," "low fares my ass."

Hmmm.

learpilot

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:14 am

No prob, 737Doc. Now I'll expect a letter of recommendation from you when I have 1000 hours of turbine PIC and my 737 type rating.  Big thumbs up

Folks are certainly free to have their own personal opinions about SWA, but that said, the bias inherent in being an employee from a competing airline and/or making stuff up (to support a position) tends to drive the ol' credibility meter towards negative values...

Right on! But you forgot to add that it's also quite lame.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

S12PPL

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:36 am

Jumping on the bandwaggon late here....

I, too, refuse to fly WN at any time. Even though they have lots of PDX-OAK non-stops, which I fly alot, I'll fly Alaska over them any day. Even tos pend a few bucks more. I'll also fly UA into SFO, since I can take BART back to the east bay now. Or...Just rent a Cessna 182 and fly the thing myself. I get SICK of WN's F/A's stupid jokes and games. I get sick of the fact that if you are crazy enough to fly WN coast to coast, if your lucky enough to get one of the few non-stops, you don't get anything to eat. I also hate the fact that WN claims they can't assign seats because that system is too costly to maintain. That's bull. AS, and UA flies the same routes, or better foutes at the same price, or cheaper. And I can get an assigned seat on them. And...if for some reason I'm transfering to a different airline during my journey, they'll even transfer my bags for me! WN won't accept, or transfer bags to other airlines, and to me that is a HUGE inconvinience to a traveler who is trying to go cheap. WN may be one of the only airlines to service their home airport, so they have to fly WN from point A to point B, and then transfer to point C.

The best example I have of this. I was checking a passenger in, and they were flying with us from the downline airport to a major airport, then they bought a ticket on WN to SLC. She wanted to check her bags out to SLC, and I reminded her that she'd have to leave the secure area, go to baggage claim, get her bag, and get in line at the WN ticket counter to re-check her bag....in 45 minutes. She was NOT happy, and started blaming us. Then I told her it was WN's policy, not ours...and she sorta calmed down.

WN's frequen flyer program is the biggest joke though. The average traveler is not going to fly that many round trips a year, to earn that free trip. I tried once....and fell way short. And, as stated here, the business traveler gets sick of WN. But the business traveler is the only person that would fly WN enough to earn a free trip. Seems like WN has that little game figured out well. Maybe that's another stupid trick they pull to cut costs.

Just my two cents.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

NWAFA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:49 am

SWABubba

Im stuck flying you guys for a few reasons:

you always have space as your flights are not full

your price - I don't non-rev on you guys as it is almost the same price as a ticket price

Do I like flying you guys, NOPE but it is all about convenance and price today.

However I alway treat the crews and agents with respect..and 90% of the time I bring "goodies" for the crew and agents (cookies, candies and such)...so before you scream out and say I HAVE to respect the agents and crews, Sorry Im NOT Non-Reving...I treat everyone I come in contact with that!

concorde1518

Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:44 am

WN's RapidRewards works great for my family. My dad (Union Pacific RR Exec) has a whole lot of territory he shuttles thru, and he ALWAYS tries to fly WN, as much as about 6-10 times a month. I dont think that as many flights have the jokes as you think. Air travel is mass transportation. That's the way it is now. you get on a plane in OAK and get off in SLC an hour or so later. Sounds like mass transortation to me! I personally don't see any difference.... the food on the legacy carriers are crappy, the audio is scratchy, i'd bring my MP3 player or CD's any day, even WITH the audio and video.

Lastly, of course WN isnt ALWAYS the cheapest. But people think they are, so people who are loyal to them figure that there's no need to shop around. They are disillusioned with the idea that they ALWAYS are the cheapest, so WN gets the business, even if they are more expensive than another carrier. Even people with all the money they need that COULD fly first all the time, like my own parents, will even go straight to WN and not even think about other carriers. Because they, the travelling public, sometimes doesn't give a shit about sitting in first and getting meals. Even as my dad's flying them on business.

I think the reason that some people think that WN fans are more sensitive than those of other carriers is because other carriers that get bashed is usually with service, customer relations, etc, whereas WN bashings create undertones that all of the people that fly it or like it are trashy people.

sprxflySWA

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:05 am

Just curious how much $$ UA,AA, and all made with their 70% + load factors in Jan.? I'm sure COAB767 has an accurate figure!  Big grin
At that rate , I would think UA would be accelerating, not delaying their Ch.11 departure.

As for my travels on us, I haven't seen nearly as much FA "fun" lately, and thankfully! I think that is one thing that has always annoyed me. Maybe there is good in long,drawn out contract negotiations.

All I have to say about this.
And my NCAA bracket is already bust!!!!!!!!!  Pissed

COAB767

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 am

Well Sprxflyswa,
I'm not so sure about the load factors for AS, WN & UA as I don't work for them and don't care to know there load factors, All's I know is that I was told to look for the best deal, and at the time of booking WN was the best deal. Outbound they go SEAOAKLAX, return they go LAXSJCSEA, which I wish I would have put them on AS because they're traveling with their elderly parents and they have a tight connection on the return back to SEA.

steveswa737

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:01 pm

NWAFA,

Just curious. I think I might know the crew. What was the date, flight number and city pair?

Steve

Bruce

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:39 pm

the funny thing is, i have flown several flights on WN and i never have had a "crazy" crew like described here or what you see sometimes on "airline". Never had a singing F/A or F/A's playing games or anything.

Yet, my co-worker told me a story about one of his flights (again, this never happens to me!) where the F/A said "folks, it is late and we are tired so instead of coming around passing out peanuts we're going to set them on the floor and let gravity take over when the plane rotates on takeoff so if you want some peanuts just grab them as they roll by!"
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

steveswa737

Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:35 am

NWAFA,

If I had to guess, I would say that you worked a flight from HNL-LAX and then took Southwest Airlines flight #2747 from LAX-PHX at 6:00am. Am I close? If so, I would be curious to know the date you traveled. Its usually a BWI based crew that works it, so I might know them.

Steve

NWAFA
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:51 am

Bruce,

Talk about violating Saftey rules! I have been on flights where the crew did that. SCARRY that they care more about the fun and joke with the peanuts instead of doing there JOB and caring about saftey!

Steve, Nope was not that flight..This was a BWI crew working the flight.

steveswa737

Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:40 pm

NWAFA,

If it wasnt that flight, then what was the date, flight number and city pair? I just wanted to see if I know the crew. Its not that I doubt your story. God knows if someone writes it on Airliners.net, it must be true.

Steve

Spoon04

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:59 pm

I last flew Southwest to Chicago in order to present a business proposal to a new client. I had hoped to use the time in the air to refine my presentation, but alas, the cabin crew decided they were going to play "passenger-participation" games enroute. As I was seated up front on the aisle, and looking I guess, a bit preoccupied, I was "targeted" several times to be a participant. I attempted to politely decline the crew's invitation to be a game contestant, but finally had to respond with a rather firm "NO T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!" The Lead F/A then exclaimed, "Wow, Mr. Tense isn't in the mood to have any fun". Yeah, right.....
I certainly don't mind employees who enjoy their work, and I most certainly enjoy an occasional witty statement and good humor, But sometimes, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !! Knock it OFF and JUST SHUT-UP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD !!