ouboy79

TZ: Non-Rev Shuttle Or Revenue Flights?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:57 pm

Some information is leaking out today that is pretty disturbing. As most know, ATA is having Chicago Express begin a shuttle between IND and MDW. By the opinion of anyone related to the company, this is going to be nothing but a shuttle system for employees between the two stations. Now comes word that Lexington and Cedar Rapids will be eliminated from the ATA system to supply the planes for this.

From my perspective as an "outsider" (if I can be considered that)...is that this is gross misuse of company resources and the whoring out of a subsidiary to supply the bigger sibling. I have always thought that airlines are in the biz to make money...using up to 3 aircraft to fly non-revs around between cities is not making money.

Comments, opinions, gripes...go for it.

COSPN

RE: TZ: Non-Rev Shuttle Or Revenue Flights?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:01 pm

As a former resident of IND this whole thing must be way cheaper than having employees living in Chicago, where the cost of living is at least twice that of IND..Sorry outboy they are taking over, your airline..

FedExIndy

Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:24 pm

I remember they cut back on the C8 flights because they added a 738 between IND-MDW. There was already a 738 IND-MDW and it was good for non-reving. It was usually pretty empty. So, let me get this straight, ATA will have a 738 IND-MDW-SEA that leaves in the morning and the opposite routing that comes back around 9-10 pm. Plus a 738 MDW-IND-MIA that leaves MDW around 11 or noon and then the opposite routing that comes into IND around 6:00 pm. Add that with hourly C8 flights?????? That is a ton of capacity between IND-MDW.

jjbiv

Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:38 pm

The hourly Saab service replaces the 738s.

joe

ouboy79

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:21 pm

As a former resident of IND this whole thing must be way cheaper than having employees living in Chicago, where the cost of living is at least twice that of IND..Sorry outboy they are taking over, your airline..

Have I ever claimed to work for C8? Didn't think so. Assuming can be deadly you know.  Smile

What I was getting at...is it smart for an airline to sacrifice revenue cities (regardless if they are making that much money) for running an hourly shuttle between IND and MDW just to shuttle employees around. Understanding the cost of living differences, if it is such an issue - then why take a job when you know what city you are going to be based out of? If ATA wants to retain the people they have, then it is up to them to pay a living wage for that employee...otherwise, I see no reason to go out of the way and dedicate up to 3 aircraft from your feeder affiliate just to shuttle employees around.

I guess the silver lining in all this...that at least one of the planes will go to launch FWA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos