airmale

Abu Dhabi Pulling Out Of Gulf Air?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:06 pm

Read about it at another forum, the replies were a bit unrelated to the topic, any one else heard anything concrete about this?
.....up there with the best!

keno

RE: Abu Dhabi Pulling Out Of Gulf Air?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:23 pm

If AUH has its own Etihad, DOH has Qatar Airways and MCT has Oman Air, GF would probably be called Bahrain Airways one day.

Horus

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:40 am

I don't think they will pull out of AUH, they have so many flights there, many are real money makers like 2x daily (A340) to LHR, daily (A330) to CDG, daily (A340/A330) to CAI, etc. MCT is still a relatively small market for them but they are expanding their with daily flights to LHR (A330) soon. Gulf Traveller is also a strong tool to strengthen their Gulf dominance.
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

AF022

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:18 am

Is AUHCDG a money-maker? I would have thought that this wouldn't have been a very good market for GF

Horus

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:53 am

According to the airline GF019 (A332) are profitable, even though they only operate 3x weekly flights on the route (2 non-stop, 1 one-stop), which in my opinion does not attract business passengers.
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

behramjee

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:30 pm

The CDG-AUH route is filled too with pax coming from North America (USA-CAN) who cannot get seats on GF via LHR to BAH/AUH and then onwards to Arabia-India-Pak-DAC-CMB!!! CDG doesnt require Indian Passport holders to hold transit visas...it does though for Pak passport holders...dunno about Sinhalese and Bengal citizens.

BA

Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:50 pm

Overall, I have heard Gulf Air's Abu Dhabi operations are very profitable despite the government of Abu Dhabi starting to lose commitment and moving towards their own Etihad Airways.

I think Gulf Air will stay in Abu Dhabi for the foreseeable future....that is until Etihad Airways overcomes Gulf Air's entire operations and undercuts them...then Gulf Air will start doing poorly in Abu Dhabi and they will be forced to pull out.

This will not happen for quite some time in my opinion if ever. Etihad Airways may never grow large enough to overtake Gulf Air. Perhaps one day the Abu Dhabi government will realize that it isn't really feasible to build up Etihad Airways' to the operations of Gulf Air and will simply let Etihad sit as is.....or even one day shut down.

Who knows what will happen. It's too early to tell what will happen in 10 years from now in Abu Dhabi.

My personal opinion is if Gulf Air pulls out of Abu Dhabi, it won't be for a long time.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

airmale

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:21 pm

If you read the topic header again its about AUH quitting the GF consortium and not the otherway around.,
.....up there with the best!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos