duke

"last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:11 am

There was a big question a few months ago as to whether the ex-Ports of Call Convair 990 Coronado stored at Denver Stapleton that is the last really potentially flyable example of this aircraft would be preserved or not. I first heard that someone may have bought it. But now I get word that it may have been donated...to a fire dump!!!

Does anyone know the truth?

fanofjets

RE: "last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:02 pm

I wish I knew....

The aircraft you are thinking about was stored in Texas, wearing Ciskei International titles. I hope the aircraft gets preserved!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

There was a Ports-of-Call 990 that was stored at Stapleton as a parts ship for the rest of the fleet. Her fuselage rested atop a nearby restaurant sans engines; the last pictures I saw of this bird were disheartening.

Another Convair 990 I would like to know about is the APSA bird that was stored at Mojave for years and years; she was supposed to have been preserved. Maybe some Coronado fans out there can help out....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

A former NASA 990 Currently serves as a gate guard
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

duke

RE: "last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:41 pm

The restaurant one in Erie, Colorado, is no longer there and was reportedly broken up. The APSA one at Mojave is preserved there. I think it should absolutely remain preserved as it is only the second-built CV990, the oldest in existence (ship 1 was written off in a crash or accident). It's frightening to consider that a few years ago, the airport was apparently ready to sell it to be flown and crashed (with the pilots bailing out) for a TV demonstration! Fortunately, that fell through. This is a VERY historic aircraft and if the airport does not want to preserve it forever, it should go to a respectable museum, like the one at Pima.

I'm on a mailing list about the Denver CV990 and there is someone who wants to buy it and fly it to Australia for preservation. If the jet is not already on a dump but not dismantled, maybe it's not too late...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos