duke

"last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:11 am

There was a big question a few months ago as to whether the ex-Ports of Call Convair 990 Coronado stored at Denver Stapleton that is the last really potentially flyable example of this aircraft would be preserved or not. I first heard that someone may have bought it. But now I get word that it may have been donated...to a fire dump!!!

Does anyone know the truth?

fanofjets

RE: "last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:02 pm

I wish I knew....

The aircraft you are thinking about was stored in Texas, wearing Ciskei International titles. I hope the aircraft gets preserved!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

There was a Ports-of-Call 990 that was stored at Stapleton as a parts ship for the rest of the fleet. Her fuselage rested atop a nearby restaurant sans engines; the last pictures I saw of this bird were disheartening.

Another Convair 990 I would like to know about is the APSA bird that was stored at Mojave for years and years; she was supposed to have been preserved. Maybe some Coronado fans out there can help out....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

A former NASA 990 Currently serves as a gate guard
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

duke

RE: "last" CV990 Dumped?!?!?!?!?

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:41 pm

The restaurant one in Erie, Colorado, is no longer there and was reportedly broken up. The APSA one at Mojave is preserved there. I think it should absolutely remain preserved as it is only the second-built CV990, the oldest in existence (ship 1 was written off in a crash or accident). It's frightening to consider that a few years ago, the airport was apparently ready to sell it to be flown and crashed (with the pilots bailing out) for a TV demonstration! Fortunately, that fell through. This is a VERY historic aircraft and if the airport does not want to preserve it forever, it should go to a respectable museum, like the one at Pima.

I'm on a mailing list about the Denver CV990 and there is someone who wants to buy it and fly it to Australia for preservation. If the jet is not already on a dump but not dismantled, maybe it's not too late...