jetbluefan1

JetBlue Wants More Of LGB

Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:01 am

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21478~2024338,00.html

JetBlue wants to improve the current terminal, and even expand. The article states that this would give the airline extra service to the airport.

I also read in an article about a month ago that JetBlue is changing its flying patterns over LGB. It's making a steeper climb and a quicker descent - therefore less noise would be heard on the ground.

Anyone know how likely it is that JetBlue gets more slots? If they do get these slots, how do you think the residents in the area would react? And how would JetBlue use these slots, would you think?

Any feedback is welcome!

JetBluefan1

jsnww81

RE: JetBlue Wants More Of LGB

Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:08 am

I wish JetBlue the best of luck in their quest to expand LGB, but quite frankly pigs will fly before the local NIMBYs let anything get built at that airport.

FATFlyer

Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:19 am

The only way that JetBlue gets more slots is either someone else stops or reduces service at LGB or they can reduce the overall noise impacts. That is why the change in patterns.

The LGB ordinance is based on a cumulative noise level impact that is the same as what was in effect in 1990. The number of slots is calculated at LGB so that the cumulative noise never changes. Quieter ops can lead to more slots. But its a long process and I wouldn't expect to see major increases in the number of slots.

I like to check http://www.lbreport.com/airport/airport.htm for LGB info and updates.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

scottysair

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:31 am

Let me tell you something and jetBlue will extra flight from IAD-LGB 3 to 4 daily roundtrip. It would be good to make more people go to LGB flight.

Greg

Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:37 am

LGB is turning out to be a costly mistake for JetBlue---since they can't get the critical mass to run even a decent focus city.

I'd say it would be more prudent to move to another airport (Ontario or LAX) instead of continuing this losing battle.

Nice that they have 8 roundtrips to JFK! (I think)

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:08 am

I'd say it would be more prudent to move to another airport (Ontario or LAX) instead of continuing this losing battle.

I agree that new flights should be moved into ONT or LAX, but JetBlue isn't 'losing a battle.' LGB is extremely profitable for JetBlue. The only problem is that they can't add more profitable flights. But it was a winning move for them to select LGB, IMO.

JetBluefan1

MidnightMike

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:55 am

Long Beach was a great choice for Jetblue, when they were starting up, they just about got everything that they wanted, now that they are growing they will soon require an alternate airport for expansion until additional Long Beach slots open up.

Jetblue has great slot times at Long Beach, they are not going anywhere
NO URLS in signature

ScottB

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:02 pm

The following page at the LGB airport website should shed some light on the outlook for additional slots for air carriers at LGB:
http://www.lgb.org/content/Annual%20Noise%20Rpt/noise%20overview.htm

The executive summary in regard to slots is that the airlines were over their noise budget numbers by well over 10% for 7/1/02-6/30/03. While the actual calculation of the budget runs from 10/1-9/30 of each year, it's unlikely that the air carriers came in under-budget for that period given how far under they'd need to be in order to offset the previous nine months.

I'd add that given the noise budget calculations, it's unlikely that additional non-commuter slots will become available to the air carriers at LGB in light of jetBlue's service patterns. Operations from 7PM to 10 PM carry a triple noise budget penalty as compared to daytime operations, while operations between 10 PM and 7 AM are penalized by a factor of ten. Given how heavily jetBlue's LGB schedule is loaded towards evening/red-eye flights (with 4 flights at 9 PM or later and two additional flights between 7 and 9 PM) to increase utilization, they will always be penalized in the noise budget calculations, especially when the last couple of departures are a few minutes late.

I think they're going to have a serious fight on their hands to expand/upgrade the LGB terminal. It's pretty obvious that the folks around LGB are unhappy about increased activity and they're likely to make their unhappiness known when it comes time to vote for City Council members.

All that said, I have to agree with most others that LGB was probably a mistake when you look beyond a two-year horizon. The slot limitations and terminal facilities really put a hard upper limit on what jetBlue will be able to do there, and it's pretty clear that they'll have to switch focus to LAX or ONT if they want to expand further in Southern California. LGB is pretty much B6's ISP -- except WN can expand at ISP if they want.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos