nycfuturepilot

Continental Promotes AirTrain On Website

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:45 am

I just went to continental.com to book tickets to go to DAB and listed under every flight it says "AirTrain rail service available between Newark-Liberty and Manhattan." Why is continental promoting this? Do they make any money off of it (i know you get onepass miles) or is it to attract more travelers to EWR? Or did the port authority pay to advertise there?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

STT757

RE: Continental Promotes AirTrain On Website

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:55 am

They codeshare with Amtrak's Regional Trains from Wilmington DE, New Haven CT, Philadelphia PA and Stamford CT, you can earn Onepass miles for connecting from one of these destinations to a CO flight at EWR via Amtrak.

Outside of that arrangement no, they are merely providing a plug for Airtrain Newark.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

nickofatlanta

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:57 am

It is in CO's interests to promote the AirTrain to EWR. If people believe that it is easier for them to get to EWR than LGA or JFK, CO is more likely to make money since they obviously have far greater operations at EWR. Makes a lot of sense to me for them to be advertising it.

dutchjet

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:58 am

Although EWR is very convenient to NYC - many travellers dont fully realize this and automatically look for flights to LGA and JFK when travelling to NYC. Thus, CO is promoting the AirTrain service in order to attract pax to EWR - remember, something like 75% of traffic through EWR is O & D - pretty good for a hub and overseas gateway!

Whats good for EWR is good for CO, and vice versa.

I have taken the AirTrain service several times now and it is very convenient, and far less expensive and stressful than road transportation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos