FA4UA
Topic Author

NW: Crew Rest Question

Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:44 am

HI NWA crew-folk out there!

I was on a hotel shuttle yesterday at SFO with a very nice NW Capt and FO. They were on my ride from the airport the night before and then 11.5 short hours later were on the same bus going back to the airport.

We chatted about where we were all flying to and they said they were going to have a "long day" going to Narita and I laughed at them saying that it wasn't that long after you take a break.

They said they don't get crew rest accomodations on their 11 hour SFO-NRT trips! I couldn't believe it! Do Flight Attendants get rest breaks on that trip on the DC-10? That really sounds like a safety hazard!

I was shocked! At UA the pilots even get breaks on short East Coast to Europe flights, nevermind anything trans pacific (excluding Hawaii).

Any crew out there want to fill me in? Do the FA's get breaks?

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

SeaMeFly

RE: NW: Crew Rest Question

Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:15 am

If I'm not mistaken, Pilots will get a break starting on flight over 12 hrs (DTW-NRT) while FAs will get on anything over 8 hrs. (SEA-NRT).

On DC-10, we,FAs, get 4 seats assigned for our crew rest in coach with curtains. That is usually row 19 & 20ABs.

I think you're mistaken when they said they don't get break that is because you're talking to a pilot and the flight time SFO-NRT isn't exceeding 12 hrs. Are you sure you're not talking to FAs group? SFO-NRT is usually staffed by SFO base's FAs and they won't be coming in from a layover's hotel (except our IFSR that is usually TYO base).

FlyGuyClt

Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:38 am

SFO to NRT is flown with a 3 person flight deck. So anything under 12 hours no break. If you have only a 2 man flight deck you get a break after 8 hours and have an aditional pilot to take over during ones break.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

FA4UA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:34 am

thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, the two I spoke with were the Captain and First officer. I didn't recognize her uniform as I'd never seen a female FO for NW before. I like the white tie... but I digress.

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better