iflyatldl

The First Pax Jet By Canadair?

Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:47 pm

I tried to do a search with no luck...what was the name of the pax jet built by Canadair? It rolled of the assembly line about the same time as the Comet and really didn't get off the ground or enter service(I think). There was a post about it and I can't find it. It's making me crazy!  Nuts
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

xjramper

RE: The First Pax Jet By Canadair?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:07 am

This was the first aircraft built by Canadair from scratch.

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/Eng/collection/sd026e.htm

I thought that this was pretty neat...but as with the first pax jet...from what I found was the CL-44. There could be anything sooner than that, but here is the link.

http://www.cl44.com/cl44/44history.htm

Enjoy...XJR

PS try using google...this is where I found this info
Look ma' no hands!

northstardc4m

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:00 am

i think you want the AVRO Canada CJ102 Jetliner. Not built by Canadair, but by AVRO Canada Ltd at Malton (present day Toronto Pearson International Airport). Pod mounted engines under wing, flew only 2 weeks after the comet 1.Alas Trans-Canada Airlines were not interested and Canadian Pacific ordered Comets (later cancled). Also had interest from TWA and American at different times, killed by fallout in the US after the Comet crashes, lack of demand and needed space for the new CF-100 program and later the CF-105 Arrow (something else killed by US politics, by thats another story...).

The CJ-102 was slightly smaller than the Comet, but had a slightly greater range than the Comet 1.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

lymanm

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:02 am

You're thinking of the Avro C-102 Jetliner. Same era as the Comet, but without a committment from Air Canada (TCA at the time), the type never took off, financially. It did make a number of flights, though.

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/Eng/Collection/sd014e.htm

Check out the extensive photo archive at the bottom of the page.

Interesting to consider the possibilities that Canada had in the aviation industry in the 1950s. Had Avro not cancelled the Jetliner and the Arrow...who knows?
buhh bye

iflyatldl

Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:23 am

Lynman:
Thanks for the info and the link. That's exactly what I was searching for !  Big thumbs up
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Olympus69

Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:14 am

Interesting to consider the possibilities that Canada had in the aviation industry in the 1950s. Had Avro not cancelled the Jetliner and the Arrow...who knows?

The Jetliner was not as advanced a design as the DH Comet - unswept wings for example, and DH wouldn't sell Avro the more poweful Ghost engines they wanted. They saw the Jetliner as a threat to Comet sales.

However it was not really Avro who canceled the Jetliner - the government was demanding that they devote their resources to building the CF-100 fighter plane - needed by the RCAF for the Korean war.

It was John Diefenbaker's government who canceled the Arrow, and insisted that all completed aircraft be scrapped.