PA120
Topic Author

Still Free Food On US Domestic Flights!

Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:51 am

I have just returned home after a trip to the states and flew several domestic flights. As most flights was pretty short I didn`t get much only the usual bag of peanuts, but the last flight back home to Denmark I flew UA114 from LAX to ORD and really got surprised... UA did indeed served free meal on that flight and it was pretty tasty too, we got a sandwich with ham and cheese, chocolate bar and chips, just good enough for the 4 hour flight... Anyone else got nice experiences with airline meals?

airportplan

RE: Still Free Food On US Domestic Flights!

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:03 am

UA still serves meals during meal times on most flights over 3 hours.

NWAFA

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:09 am

NWA still serves "free" meals on flights out of the HUBS to west coast. So UA's ORD-LAX would be the same as NWAs MSP-LAX.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

PanAm747

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:11 am

I believe that American still has their "Bistro Bags"...pick up a bag on the way onto the airplane - a sandwich, cookie, chips. Last time I flew them, the F/A's offered me the extras. I had lunch for a couple days there after!!

United also serves great food on flights to Hawai'i - even the overnight flight KOA-LAX got a box lunch. Imagine my surprise in thinking they'd turn off the lights immediately and let us sleep - beverage service before, then the box meal (which included a big bag of M&M's!!), then coffee about an hour before landing.

Slightly off topic here, but the old TWA (may she rest in peace, God rest her soul!) always had the best food. Maybe it was because I always found myself having a catered meal on a fabulous 747 or L-1011, but it was always great, and HOT!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

rjpieces

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:11 am

Doesn't United have buy food on board out of ORD now?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

scottysair

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:25 am

Yeah, it is still buy food onboard out of ORD now.

Cory6188

Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:41 am

CO is the only US airline to maintain food service to some extent on all of its routes. They have not instated any buy-on-board programs, and although some routes have received cuts (i.e. any Florida route), they still serve "meals at mealtime". However, I wouldn't exactly consider a small muffin on a flight from EWR-PBI a full meal for breakfast.

scottysair

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:57 am

THey don't have buy meal onboard with their flight either and some of those airlines will used with buy food on HP, AA, DL, NW, & UA.

aviaar

Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:05 am

The only flights on U.S. carriers that serve meals (in coach) are over 3-4 hours long. The thing is, a person usually pays more anyway for a longer flight because of the increased fuel and wear and tear costs. So, one could argue that the meals aren't totally "free", because you do pay more for the flight.

My 2 cents.
I'd rather be flying (real original)

pilottim747

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:09 am

I'm looking forward to getting my free snack on my UAL B744 from ORD-LAX in April.  Smile Flights from SFO-ORD, however, are buy on board. It must be the competition on the ORD-LAX route.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

RayBolt

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:14 am

Aviaar- That's not entirely true. On a CO flight late last year MSP-EWR, they served a large snack. I wouldn't consider it a full meal but it was a sandwich, salad and chips i think. Very nice. I think CO (and CoEx) are the only US carriers that still have this service.

Dan
You can't join the MHC on the ground.

SK973

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:18 am

I flew EWR-ORD, ORD-LAS and back again on UA in August and got a sandwich, coke, chips and some candy on all four flights.  Smile

Pe@rson

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:22 am

Don’t forget that airlines do not actually give free or complementary food or drink – you pay for both in the price of the ticket. Generally, airline food is quite poor in quality, so I would prefer not to have it.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."