SonicKidatBWI
Topic Author

Proposed "New" Eastern Air Lines Start-Up

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:47 am

Please don't bite my head off because I am new to Airliners.net and don't know if there was a previous thread about this topic, but a couple of years back I saw a clip on my local news channel and they were talking about how someone was proposing buying the Eastern Air Lines name and starting new operations out of PHL (Philadelphia International). I never heard anything after that. Did anyone else hear about this and if so, what happened? Did talks fall through or what? Your POSITIVE feedback would be greatly appreciated.

toltommy

RE: Proposed "New" Eastern Air Lines Start-Up

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:52 am

I don't remember anyone trying to start a new EA at PHL, but I seem to remember a similar attempt to start it at IND in the early to mid 90's. The Eastern name and Pan Am should be permanently retired!

WidgetBoi

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:57 am

I vaguely remember a newsclip about a proposed "New" Eastern too! Unfortunately, that's all I can remember about it.

Great question! Hopefully, someone else will have more info!

jeremy

wgw2707

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:59 am

Too bad that proposed start up did not get off the ground. I have no objection to the use of former airline names when starting a new airline so long as jobs are availible to employees of the former airline and so long as the new airline makes an effort to respect the former airline. So far though none of the revival attempts have been a success except possibly Pan Am 3, which is in business and which we can only assume is profitable, although if it were to shut down I would not be overly shocked. The main problem with revived airlines is when the company reviving the airline has no business plan, or rests their entire business plan on the power of the old branding, which has almost always been the case.

A new EAL would be interesting...perhaps they can bring Colonel Borman, Frank Lorenzo and Charlie Bryan out of retirement for a re-match.  Big thumbs up

-WGW2707

toltommy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:03 am

"I have no objection to the use of former airline names when starting a new airline so long as jobs are availible to employees of the former airline"

Why in the world should a new EA be forced to hire fromer EA workers. Even if this was a year after the original failed, it's not the same company. Any new company should be able to hire the best possible workers, not be hamstrung with onerous rules.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:04 am

There was a planned "New" Eastern using DC-9-31s, DC-9-51s and 757s. I think IND was proposed as a hub. My understanding is the backers went with re-starting Pan Am instead. There really is a "new" Eastern, though. It's called AirTran  Big thumbs up
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

quickmover

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:09 am

Agreed. I wish Airtran could take on Easterns old name and livery. I think alot of former Eastern people are now at FL.

SonicKidatBWI
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:13 am

Thanks everyone for your input. To WGW2707 I really hate the new PanAm. PanAm #2 that started in '97 or '98 with A300s was a lot more alluring to me. It seemed closer to its predessor than the crap they have running now. They have it flying out of my home airport (BWI). I haven't seen it yet and I really don't care to. It's not even called Pan American World Airways anymore. They dropped the "World". I guess it is fitting though since it only flies to a whole bunch of 3-rate U.S. airports. Thanks again.

[Edited 2004-03-22 19:16:18]

EA CO AS

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:38 am

I wish Airtran could take on Easterns old name and livery.

I'll second that motion!  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

isitsafenow

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:39 am

About 1993 or 94, Martin Shagrue, the last CEO of Eastern, wanted to shape New Eastern to be a low cost carrier based in IND. The start up plan was to use 16 DC9-30 with perhaps 4 to 6 757's. He tried to sell the idea to investors and banks but had very little attention. Mr Shargue died a couple years ago. Most of those DC 9's are now with NW. Those are the ones with the Reg. number as N89--EA.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

727LOVER

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:47 am

Most of those DC 9's are now with NW. Those are the ones with the Reg. number as N89--EA.

Actually, that would be N89--E

Yeah, yeah,.....I'm picky.  Innocent

Love Trumps Hate

isitsafenow

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:49 am

Thx to you 727LOVER..As much as I fly those guys I should know.
thx again
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

jmc1975

Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:03 am

I agree AirTran should change their name to Eastern. It's very fitting and it doesn't sound like it's named after some deceased Chinese avaition guru.

panam330

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:39 am

I agree that the AirTran name being changed to Eastern would be quite something, AirTran would not do such a thing. They've built up a quite loyal customer base, and obviously, everything they own has "AirTran" slapped on it somewhere. Then again, they could be like UA and cross out the UNI in UNITED on their ground equipment  Laugh out loud!

toltommy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:45 am

I wonder if the "Eastern Air Lines" name is available? I would imagine that someone owns the naming rights.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:50 am

God, one could only wish.  Sad

Our new pan am is nothing like the original except for flying 727s and the logo on the side. hopefully someday it will grow and become a "real" airline.

It would be amazing to have Eastern come back with the same paint scheme and make a go of it again. Maybe try to revive the new interiors idea that Eastern was working on when it went under.

If there are two airlines in the industry that are missed more than any other, it's Eastern and Pan Am, and I say that knowing full well of the existence of Pan Am III.

quickmover

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:52 am

I have noticed that outside of the Southeast, Airtran and ATA are confused with each other often.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:00 am

Amtran.... Airtran.... can ya blame 'em?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

SonicKidatBWI
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:05 am

Again I would like to thank everyone for their valuable input. I would give anything to see EAL and PANAM (excuse me . . . the REAL PANAM) back again. I would love to see the old Silver and Blue Eastern Air Lines planes shining gracefully.

Startvalve

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!! I love that post! "Lawn Darts"! Hillarious stuff!  Nuts

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:12 am

"I agree AirTran should change their name to Eastern. "

Why on earth would you want that? Nobody has a positive association with Eastern Airlines, not the former employees, not the customers, not anyone!
E pur si muove -Galileo

Cactus739

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:25 am

Startvalve and SonicKid...

That game of "lawn darts" as you call it was an airplane that had 110 people on it that died that day. Not funny.

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:30 am

"I would love to see the old Silver and Blue Eastern Air Lines planes shining gracefully.
"

I bet if you hold your breath reeeeeeeeeal good, it just may happen!
E pur si muove -Galileo

dutchjet

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:34 am

Maverick M11 is right, while some of us here have fond memories of Eastern (I know that I do, my first flight as a 3 year old was from JFK to MIA on a DC8); at this point in time, most of the flying public does not really remember Eastern, and those that do remember, have harsh memories. Eastern was a great airline, but it had its labor problems, and was already having a difficult financial time when Lorenzo came in and then things only got worse. Most people only remember Eastern as that bankrupt airline (such a shame) and they are basically correct, EA went bankrupt twice and finally liquidated.

AirTran certainly has little to gain by changing its name to Eastern. AirTran, by some miracle, pulled off one name change, and I do not think that they will try their luck again.

I live in Europe, and many people do confuse AirTran, AmTransAir, Amtrak and the AirTrain @ EWR!

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:44 am

True true, Dutchjet, and moreover, the public could not care less if Eastern 'came back', with the exception of the nuts on this site (myself included). They tried bringing back Ozark Airlines, and the public did not even take notice, and now bringing back the wondeful Ozark experience (whatever that means) has resulted in a bunch of parked Dornier aircraft in the Midwest.
E pur si muove -Galileo

PVD757

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:16 am

I have to admit that I rarely post on "nostalgic" posts, but I loved EA!

SonicKidatBWI
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:27 am

Cactus739

Thanks "dad" for your input but of course there always has to be that one person who finds controversy in everything. Of course you took Startvalve's comment in the most morbid way it could possibly have been taken, all the while knowing that he meant no type of disrespect to those unfortunate people. Anyway, NEXT . . .

For those of you bashing Eastern . . . Obviously I wouldn't want an exact replica of EAL to start operations . . . PAN AM had an even larger troubled past holding some infamous records such as plane crash with highest death toll (PanAm/KLM - Tenerife) and U.S. plane crash with most fatalities abroad (PanAm 103) but no one is saying "We don't ever want to see PanAm again!". If they had a new EAL upstart it would obviously have to be a product far superior to EAL. And my parents used to fly EAL extensively and they loved it. They even still have some EAL baggage tickets!

PresRDC

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:27 am

Yes, all the memories I have of EAL from the late 1980s/early 1990s were the negative comments of other people. While it may have been a top notch operation in its heyday, at the end of its life, EAL was known for lousy service, delays, maitenance problems and labor unrest. That seems a less than ideal amount "good will" on which to build a new operation.

petazulu

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am

I do not have positive associations with Eastern Airlines. It only conjures up images of labor strife, bad customer service, and dingy airplanes. I don't mean to sound too negative, but the brand would need an expensive image makeover.

Pan Am is similar, although in my opinion it holds a nobler place in people's minds due to its exotic foreign routes and its old status as the USA's default flag carrier overseas.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:58 am

It sure would be nice to se EA's livery on a 717. It sure is a shame people were so greedy at EA. And Frank Lorenzo only made it worse. I will agree that once Borman took over EA, it only went downhill from there.

A Damn Fine astronaut he was, but he didn't know Jack Shit about running an airline.
Puhdiddle

srbmod

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:00 am

The number one reason why the "New Eastern" did not get past the planning stages is because of the creditors of Eastern owned the Eastern name and logos, and were wanting a large amount of $$$ to get the use of those names. Delta, on the other hand, was willing to part with the Pan Am name and associated logos fairly cheaply by comparison, so "New Eastern" became Pan Am II. With AirTran having a number of ex-EA employees, it would make sense to bring the name back. I think National would be a better name for AirTran, especially with their future western expansion.

Tiger119

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:21 pm

The only problem I had with flying on Eastern was the fact to go any where on Eastern from the Midwest was that you HAD to fly through ATL!  Sad

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mick Bajcar
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John P. Stewart

Back then, ATL was not as nice as it is now.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

RobINDYHP

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:54 pm

Eastern's people took their chance with a startup in the Kiwi name.

BlackBox

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:47 pm

Come on, guys - let's stop with all the "lawn dart"/"swamp javelin" stuff. Not cool. I'm generally almost impossible to offend but I am here. I really can't find any humor in hundreds of people plunging to their deaths into the Everglades in a smoke filled fuselage. Think about it, and consider editing your post.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:04 am

OK I considered it...

SonicKidatBWI
Topic Author

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:26 am

Ok. This post has gotten FAAAARRRR off it's original topic. I was inquiring on what ever happened to the restart-up proposal. This topic wasn't meant to debate on how much you either LOVED or HATED Eastern. I just wanted to know what became of the plan. Thank you to those who addressed my original question. Your insight was greatly appreciated. To all you others, if you hate EAL so much, start your own thread about the HORRORS OF FLYING WITH EASTERN.

[Edited 2004-03-23 16:27:20]

wedgetail737

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:36 am

We need another west coast LLC...TED is not included...like Westpac or something.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:42 am

We need another West Coast LCC like a fish needs a bicycle.  Insane

Ted, Southwest, Frontier, America West..even Alaska to a degree - how many LCCs do you need on the West Coast?  Nuts
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Airportguy1971

Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:56 am

So far though none of the revival attempts have been a success except possibly Pan Am 3, which is in business and which we can only assume is profitable, although if it were to shut down I would not be overly shocked. The main problem with revived airlines is when the company reviving the airline has no business plan, or rests their entire business plan on the power of the old branding, which has almost always been the case.

I dunno, Frontier mark II has done a pretty good job, and they were started up by many of the folks from Frontier mark I