Goldentail
Topic Author

CO Livery, Is It Outdated?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:57 pm

I realize this topic is subjective....but CO has had this logo since the early nineties. It was introduce to the world to rid itself of the prior image under Frank Lorenzo's leadership.. Hollis Harris & company decided the "Meatball" logo needed to go...and introduced the present day "Globe Logo".

Question - Do you feel this livery still is effective, does it embody the airline and it's employees....or should it be changed. If so, changed to what?
Just curious what your thoughts are in this forum.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas D. Mayes, Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Millard

[Edited 2004-03-23 10:12:02]
"The Proud Bird -w- The Golden Tail"

coa764

RE: CO Livery, Is It Outdated?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:38 pm

The logo is good just the way it is! Down with the orange meatball and the goldentail, it is the epitome of a 70's color schemes.
 Big thumbs up
P.S. - Don't you have some updated FP3's to be reading?
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

Goldentail
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:43 pm

Coa764.....

Your right! I'm busted!
Of course I have a reason to up at this ridiculous hour.
You on the other hand...  Big grin

na

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:03 pm

While NWs and UAs liveries were changed prematurely I think, yes, Continentals livery is getting old. The tail design is nice, the rest is bloodless, pale as if sunbleached and not up-to-date anymore. Red and gold might be 70ish in COs old livery, as colours on an airplane they are still far more outstanding than blue and white, white and blue, blue with a little white or white with a little blue.

thomasphoto60

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:37 pm

While CO's current livery is sophisicated, corporate and global, it lacks any sense of life, in other words, very 90s. Being a child of the 70s, I really miss those 'meatballs', be they black or red, they were certainly eye catching and along with the red, gold cheat lines this scheme was very indicative of that free wheeling decade.

Personally I believe that it is time for a change and for a little color.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Cory6188

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:41 pm

I really like CO's current scheme, and I doubt that they plan on changing it anytime soon. I wouldn't think that it is a very expensive livery to maintain, and I believe that it would probably cost more than its worth to introduce a new CO livery.

AA hasn't changed their livery in years. Why does CO have to - it's scheme is so classic that it doesn't warrant change.

COAB767

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:51 pm

I love the current livery. It's sleek, it's simple and really stands out.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

asuflyer05

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:58 pm

I think the current CO livery is quite nice. It's modern and sophisticated yet retains a level of professionalism.

Darker colors tend to be more professional colors IMHO. The blue is a great choice because it is fresh and not as drab as a black or a gray. It works well with the silver along the bottom too.

The gold in the logo and cheat line compliments the blue quite nicely. The gold stands out more on the globe versus having it be in silver too.

Matt

chris78cpr

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:01 pm

I like the CO livery, i think it looks good and suits their fleet well!!!

However i do not like the new UA livery! The old grey and blue was much nicer in my opinion!!! NWA new livery is quite nice, i will only make my final judgement on it when i see one of their LGW operating DC-10's in it!!!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

Cory6188

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:03 pm

On a side note...what is covering the back of the tail area on the 735 closest to the photographer in the photo on the left? Is that dirt or oil? CO's planes are normally sparkling - I'm surprised to see that.

ND

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:09 pm

I love their current livery but wouldn't mind seeing a change. Since I'm a product of the 80's, I love change a lot:P.
ND - Hated By Many, Confronted By None

Horus

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:21 pm

Like others have said, their current one isn't too bad, but a new livery would be nice (unless if its gonna be as boring as UA's new one Big grin)
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

asuflyer05

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:00 pm

I just took a look through the database:

I wouldn't mind if CO incorporated the Copa globe on their aircraft. Not to mention the winglets.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos Porto C.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jim Woodrow

View Large View Medium

Photo © Virgilio Milord F.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Bartlett

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Matt

Alpha 1

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:28 pm

There's certainly nothing outdated about our livery. Not in the least. It's clean, it's professional, and it's simple. It states CO's product perfectly, imho.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Copa globe either, but besides that, there's no reason to mess with success. Unfortunately, the enthusiasts on here want to cchange corporate identities every 5 years or so, which is ridiculous. Maybe that's one reason US and UA are in so much trouble-they can't make up their mind on even how their planes should be painted.  Big grin

nycfuturepilot

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:43 pm

I like the continental livery a lot, in fact i think its among the best of all of the us airlines. My mother however feels differently and even says she'd choose another airline if theyre the same times and prices just because she doesnt like co's "colors" (she means livery)
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

slider

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:57 am

I agree Alpha1- to listen to seemingly half the people here, they'd want to change liveries like the wind for all carriers.

Why this overwhelming compulsion to start threads like this?  Confused After all, what does painting planes have to do with revenue? I didn't know that painting planes differently resulted in the cash drawer being fuller.

Can anyone tell me what the *BUSINESS* decision revolves around when re-branding an airline? In my humble opinion, CO has itself branded and positioned remarkably well, especially in comparison to the competition. There's no need to change that formula as far as I see.

Personally, I've never been fond of paint schemes that are predominantly white, and that includes CO to an extent. But it's clean, classy, and consistent.  Smokin cool

Alpha 1

Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:59 am

If someone is flying an airline simply because they don't like the "colors" (be it CO or anyone), I think that person needs some serious help, personally.

Businessboy

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:06 am

The Continental livery is not outdated at all. It's has a professional look to it, very modern, not bloodless as someone stated. UA livery is something I would call bloodless!

Smile
LOVE CONTINENTAL AIRLINES & LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS

desertjets

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:08 am

The only thing that I do not like about the current scheme is the typeface used for the "Continental" titles. Something a little bit bolder would be nice. As would be free tickets and free upgrades to the front cabin, but that ain't happening either.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

ltbewr

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:09 am

NO! It might use some tweaking, (like different cheat lines, etc) but it is clean, modern, simple to maintain, the globe on the rudder indicates their near round the world reach. It is a clear and well understook identity for CO. Plus, with the financial trouble airlines are having right not, I don't think it would make any sense to just change the livery.

slider

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:26 am

The only thing that I do not like about the current scheme is the typeface used for the "Continental" titles. Something a little bit bolder would be nice.

I'm glad you mentioned this...the reason why CO, and DL, NW, and others use such fonts is so that there is commonality with the readily available fonts in MS Word and other programs. A custom job font or something terribly complicated for text would be not only a pain to work with, but could add costs given the proliferation of letterhead, etc. It's just another little factor to think about when engaging in re-imaging campaigns and certainly something that most folks don't contemplate on.

ual747den

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:30 am

Alpha1
You do not have your facts straight. UA started having troubles before they ever changed their livery. I find it funny that such a comment would come from someone that works for CO considering their numerous Chapter 11 bailouts they have had. The change of livery at UA has nothing to due with their troubles, they just want to reflect a new clean image.

Now to address the thread, I think CO needs to change something also. Their livery is old and boring. I agree it would be nice to see something as little as the globe changed, but would like to see even more than that. I think that we might be able to see this happen with the upcoming change in Management. I sure hope so!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

frontiers4ever

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:34 am

Why change their livery its cheap costs to maintain not to mention the weight savings.

-Frontiers4ever
Until you prove, your right, your wrong

ukflyer

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:46 am

In my opinion CO's livery is not only outdated but a feeble and 'average' replacement to the original 70's corporate image/livery. The 70's livery had instant recognition, was easily visible and as a result would have enhanced the customer/client relationship..customers and employees alike.

Of course I don't believe they should still be flying around in that same livery today but such a strong original design surely deserved a tweaking along the way, bringing them up-to-date. Such a diverse change of image doesn't automatically alter peoples perception of that company, it merely outlines a lack of cohesion and continuity in the running of the company...in the case of an airline its service and how they treat their passengers.

I have only had the opportunity to fly CO 4 times and can safely say in my opinion it would have taken more than just a lick of paint and new uniforms to camouflage its inherent use of out of date FA's and aircraft.

desertjets

Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:51 am

Even if CO, and everyone else for that matter, is limited to using ready made fonts... there are literally hundreds if not thousands of fonts in Adobe's and Microsoft's font libraries ripe for the picking.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

B2707SST

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:01 am

Continental has the youngest fleet of any US major.

I like CO's livery, but I wouldn't be opposed to a minor update - perhaps a little more color on the fuselage. I wouldn't touch the globe on the tail, though. That looks as sharp and professional as ever. Personally, I can't stand the 1970s/80s colors. They scream shag carpet and leisure suits, which are not good things in my mind. The old title font could have been lifted straight from United's 70s/80s scheme (or vice versa, not sure which was first):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

The current livery is much more modern and attractive than the previous scheme, and still more interesting than United's latest attempt.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

dutchjet

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:04 am

CO's livery is not outdated.....its simple, elegant, and easily recognized. It is certainly more appealing that the eurowhite look and not as somber and dark as the US Airways and ex-UA look.

While I also like the PROUD BIRD GOLDEN TAIL look previously worn by CO aircraft, the orange and gold colors were very 1970s (along with harvest gold and avocado green kitchen appliances) and would look out of place today.....also, that livery brings back memories of CO's Texas Air years, something a lot of people would like to forget!

MSPXJGuy

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:35 am

I would have to say it looks great. I think it makes CO look very professional. I like it a lot better than the 70's livery. Also, I like it better than the traditional stripes down the fuselodge. Think old NW, old UA, AA, etc looks all the same with different colors. Just like I really am starting to like NW's new paint scheme. Looks really cool at different times in the day. (Except when snowing in MSP and you can't see the aircraft except the tail).

I think US and AA have a far more boring livery. Im not a huge fan of the new UA one either.

727LOVER

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:38 am

While NWs and UAs liveries were changed prematurely I think, yes, Continentals livery is getting old.

Since the CO was introduced AFTER NW's old livery, this statement is confusing.  Confused
Love Trumps Hate

Horus

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 am

I think the AA c/s is one of the best around in the US (I suppose its because its so original). The Delta c/s is nice, so is the UA one (well anything is better than the older one). The USAirways is quite striking too (hopefully we'll see them around for a little longer before the airline goes under Big grin). And even though I didn't like the new NW c/s when it first came out, I now think they're eye-catchy (especially on their 744s and 333s). If I had to put them in order of my favourite, it would go something like this:

1. AA
2. USAirways
3. NW
4. DL
5. UA (new c/s)
6. CO (sorry CO fans but the truth hurts)
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Thrust

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:52 am

CO and AA have timeless classic liveries...it doesn't get better than this folks...Continental's current livery is the best it has ever had (hated the gold and red colors, black and gold were much better, but not as good as the current one). If the TWA colors were still flying today, their last livery would also be timeless.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

EddieDude

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:52 am

I like CO's livery the way it is. It is very smart. Maybe, I would only change the fuselage a bit so that there was a thick blue cheatline. But nothing else. The tail is great!
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

Cactus739

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:12 am

Continental's livery is fine just the way it is... it's clean, smart and professional; just like them. It was introduced in the early 90's... but didn't really take off until 1994 (or maybe 1995) after Gordon took over and made an edict that every plan would be repainted by a certain date. There's actually a good part in his book From Worst to First about it...

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

wgw2707

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:19 am

Continental's current livery is bland and uninspiring, with the exception of the tail logo, which is visually interesting, albeit out of date by about 10 years. However, the tail design has nothing in common with Continental's glorious past. What ever happened to The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail? The old livery IMO was much more reflective of CO's identity than the current one. If a new livery is introduced hopefully it will have a golden tail, in keeping with Bob Six's vision of Continental as a stylish, classy airline proud of its accomplishments and service.

-WGW2707

Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:53 am

IMHO Continental should keep the livery. It doesn't look oldfashioned, really. And it would be foolish to start a rebranding that would cost lots of money without having a real purpose. Generally I do oppose constant changes in liveries, even though I think that UAL newest change was for the good - unlike NWA's.
But think about AA - same livery for decades and everybody knows them. So why change?

slider

Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:58 am

If the TWA colors were still flying today, their last livery would also be timeless.

Copy that Thrust! That was sweet...man that new Trans World Airlines across the fuselage, with the gold globe logo, and the old standard block lettering diagonally across the tail was awesome!

I loved the navy, gold, red combo. I'm going to go cry now, please excuse me...  Wink/being sarcastic

panam330

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:13 am

Personally, I think that CO's livery does not need a change. UA needed a new livery to rid itself of the past few terrible years. CO isn't in bankruptcy, like UA. CO has a great image- the livery supports this. Clean cut, and simple. No bullshit. While I agree that there are too many "blue and white" liveries out today, CO was one of the first, so why should they change theirs? IMO, I believe that CO initiated the blue & white scheme- other airlines 'copied' their livery because CO was SUCCESSFUL. The airline should refrain from changing the company image. Continental is world-renouned. Keep the Blue & Gold with the Globe, IMHO.

Tom in NO

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:15 am

Continental, I would have to say, was one of the very few airlines that took a very good livery.....and didn't totally screw it up (ala NW changing to the red/gray, UA changing to the blue/gray, and US). The current livery actually looks very dignified.

If I asked CO to do anything livery-wise, I'd want to see retro-jets honoring EA, PE, TI, FL, NY, etc.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

WidgetBoi

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:03 am

Continental's livery embodies the spirit of the airline and all of it's employees - clean, elegant, modern, professional, sophisticated and warm - and is becoming a classic that will hopefully remain unchanged for years to come!

jeremy Big grin

Alpha 1

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:20 pm

However, the tail design has nothing in common with Continental's glorious past.

Two Chapeter 11's, labor strife, Frank Lorenzo, et al, isn't exactly a "glorious past", and it's the last past the old paint scheme is linked to. You're obviously not a CO employee, because I guarantee you there's not an employee around today that was around for that "glorious past" who would go back to a logo and image that said "FAILURE" in bold letters. You can have that old washed up logo. We'll take our very professional one.

jcs17

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:49 pm

Now that United has sold out to the cheap look, I think Continental has the best livery out there. It looks classy, modern, and clean. At some point in the future, I have a feeling that the font might be changed a bit, but I love the globe.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

cancidas

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:51 pm

i think its fine. certainly better than DL, UA and (please don't kill me ron) US.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Goldentail
Topic Author

Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:56 pm

Being new to a.net forum, I have enjoyed reading many of your threads for months, and decided to finally take the dive and join the forum. It is fascinating to see & read your opinions and insights. Many of you offer intelligent & valued insights from your aviation backgrounds all over this globe!

I appreciate the different perspectives that have been shared here. Having been here for the past 20 years, and being a part of 2 bankruptcies, I too agree that the present livery serves the airline well. It does reflect the global network CO has worked hard to achieve. It is clean, simple, and professional.
The only reason for the thread was several on here have made comments recently regarding CO livery as being outdated and boring. I am obviously biased, so I just wanted to get to the bottom of why people feel that way.
It appears that most of you agree that the current image works well for the carrier.

Alpha 1; in response to your last post, I would agree the "Fantail or Meatball" logo does associate us with the Texas Air days, but the "Proud bird with the Golden Tail" and the "Fantail" logo were the original glorious days for CO, and it's a shame that now many only link it to Frank Lorenzo & Texas Air when we were truly a failure. Bob Six created Continental; and its service & reputation made it the envy of the industry for many years. I therefore respectfully would not say that the previous logo and image said "Failure" in bold letters. But you are correct that most CO employees would not ever want to go back to that image. It was very 70's related in the colors that were popular at the time.

Slider; regarding your post......
Why this overwhelming compulsion to start threads like this? After all, what does painting planes have to do with revenue? I didn't know that painting planes differently resulted in the cash drawer being fuller.

Overwhelming compulsion??? Hardly! And I never said anything about revenue in my post...so I don't know where you drew that correlation. I simply was trying to figure out why several in this forum felt that our image was old & needed replacement.

Cheers!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Alpha 1

Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:10 pm

Now that United has sold out to the cheap look...

Josh, I saw a UA 733 in CLE last week, and, seeing it in person, I thought it looked pretty sharp myself. Everyone has a different take, of course, but I don't think it looks cheap.

I do think it's funny they can't get the same look on the tails, though.  Smile

jcs17

Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:39 am

Josh, I saw a UA 733 in CLE last week, and, seeing it in person, I thought it looked pretty sharp myself. Everyone has a different take, of course, but I don't think it looks cheap.

I saw it a few times at LAX a couple weekends ago and I just think that the new livery has an LCC sort of feel to it with the shades of blue and teal. The tail is just a total ripoff of NW. I think it would've looked a lot better had UA keeped the belly dark blue, and then used red and orange running across the fuselage instead of shades of blue.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

klwright69

Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:31 am

Ual747den, I highly doubt Alpha 1 was serious when he associated UA's chapter 11 with livery change. You cited CO's "numerous" chapter 11 filings. Do you know how many times CO has been in Chapter 11? Goldentail gave away the answer, but here it is again....TWICE. Once more than UA. I went to Miriams online dictionary and it said, "numerous: a great number of individuals or units." Maybe some schools teach differently, but I have never heard the word numerous used to describe two of something. But if it has a comforting ring to it, run with it.....

Anyway, I think their livery is just fine. The globe always reminded me of PA. I do think it is obvious it is not the same logo and color scheme would be a product of today's times, but I still think it works. A little dated, maybe, but not outdated (and therefore not valid) per say.

Thrust

Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:36 am

764, what is wrong with the NW new livery? I love it! Big thumbs up

The Bowling Shoe was good while it lasted, but the new livery is BEAUTIFUL!  Love
Fly one thing; Fly it well

klwright69

Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:56 am

To add to what has been said: The colors of the old CO livery were certainly from another time! But I do agree that although the modern livery is more crisp and professional (although not as colorful), some sense of positive nostalgia was lost with that logo.

Like if AA ever changes livery, something would be lost there too. I certainly miss the old DL livery of the triangle.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:11 am

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why almost every week there's another thread pushing for some airline or another to change their livery. To me, a livery is merely window dressing - what counts is what goes on inside the aircraft. Tower Air could have had the most gorgeous livery known to God and man, a livery that would have had livery geeks drooling for years, but guess what? No matter how prettied up the wrapping paper is, it still would have been Tower Air! Simultaneously, you could fly a CO aircraft with a patchwork painted fuselage (think a car with a primer colored doors, green side panels, red hood, etc.) and the level of service that I've come to associate with Continental would stay the same. By all means, aircraft corporations do need to update liveries every so often to give the image of progression along with the times, but if an airline doesn't change its livery every 5 years, that hardly means they're failing.

To address the question of the actual aesthetics of Continental's livery, I find it nice, attractive, and with just enough color to save it from Eurowhite blandness. I can easily pick out a CO plane at a crowded airport and, while I feel they may not have the prettiest or nicest livery (a distinction I would award to US), I think it's a comendable livery.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

corey07850

Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:10 am

Not outdated, but I'd love to see if anyone has any photoshop renderings of a new CO livery... that might change come minds  Smile