7574EVER
Topic Author

Delta And Continental Say Goodbye To First Class?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:30 pm

I was on a Southwest flight yesterday afternoon and the two women sitting next to me were discussing the fact that SWA has no first class seats. One of them mentioned that Delta and Continental were going to be getting rid of their first class. Has anyone heard anything about this being true?
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

RE: Delta And Continental Say Goodbye To First Class?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:38 pm

Nothing confirmed, but possible on short haul flights up to 1 1/2 hours.

Stay tuned.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:42 pm

They'll never get rid of them on long haul i can assure you that. but removing short haul 1st is not out of the question.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:43 pm

They'll never get rid of them on long haul.

Good God no. That would be suicide.

Horus

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:47 pm

Why would it be suicide? Even though I don't think it would be a clever move, there are many world class airlines like SAS who offer no F cabin.
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

dtwclipper

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:47 pm

I doubt it. Most trips are under 500 miles, and let me tell you, first is always full on the flights I am on.

If it is elite upgrades or not, the biz pax will find another way of getting there.

"we" are already ticked off at the plethora of CRJ/ERJ's around, the only saving grace are NW DC-9's and XJ's ARJ's.

sidebar: Why would anyone believe anything a WN pax says? That should really be the title of this thread

[Edited 2004-03-23 15:49:42]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 pm

I doubt it. Most trips are under 500 miles, and let me tell you, first is always full on the flights I am on.

95% of the First class seats on short hauls are upgrades or non-revs. It's a losing proposition cost wise.

dtwclipper

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:59 pm

Yes, I pay full fare coach and get upgraded. So, tell me how it is a losing proposition cost wise?

jblake1

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:00 am

dtwclipper.. any idea when those NW DC9's will be retired?  Acting devilish

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:02 am

Re: They'll never get rid of them on long haul.
Good God no. That would be suicide.

They already did. CO and DL don't offer First Class on international flights - their Business First and Business Elite products are Business Class, not First. Even domestically, neither operates 3-class aircraft, so they could call First Class (Domestic) Business Class, and stop trying to kid the world they offer First Class.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ORD2PHL

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:02 am

Yes, I pay full fare coach and get upgraded. So, tell me how it is a losing proposition cost wise?

Because you are paying full Y and getting F service, the airline is loosing out on additional revenue.

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:03 am

Jblake1,

As I have said before: AA will retire it's current livery when NW updates its DC-9 Fleet.

LOL

I hope never. Let me tell you, I would rather fly on a reliable DC-9-10 DTW-CVG than on a Pinnacle RJ.

dtwclipper

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:11 am

ORD2PHL,

You're not making sense. Full fare coach, is paid by how many leisure pax who travel 120+ segments a year on an airline? Uh none. My full fare coach tickets, of say $760.00+ DTW-CVG more then over comes any loss, as a matter of fact, I would even say that I am subsidizing the discounted fares by paying for the flexibility I need in a full Y fare.

As a NW platinum elite, I am upgraded almost immediately on Domestic flights. At the gate, there are usually gold and silver vying for the remaining unsold F/C seats.

I don't care about the food, (the drinks are nice after a long day) but I use the space to work. I don't need to be kicked by Johnny behind me, or herded like cattle when I pay a premium price over the course of a year.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:15 am

Do not believe anything you hear other passengers say.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

Krags

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:20 am

I don't see how you could manage this. You would have certain planes with first class and then certain planes without. You would never be able to sub aircraft. It would be a mess. Besides, Delta is slowly giving all short haul flying over to Delta Connection. They will never come out with a press release stating this but if you look at their schedules you will see that is what is happening.

Businessboy

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:22 am

Sorry, there arent any First Class on Delta and Continental, only Business Class.Still, on the short haul, does Continental have Business or First, i know they dont have both...

Smile  Smile
LOVE CONTINENTAL AIRLINES & LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS

airbazar

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:25 am

First class doesn't make much sense. Hardly anyone pays for it and it costs the airlines a bundle. A lot of airlines are getting rid of it, even the all mighty SQ, and going with expanded business class and premium economy instead. Everyone knows that airlines make 60% of their revenue from business passengers so it only makes sense to expand the business class service.
There will always be first class, but that will be limited to a very small number of routes.

With the cost of private/semi-private jets continuing to go down, people who can affort $10,000+ for a ticket, will not put up with the herds and airport non-sense to fly on a regular carrier. You're seeing that happen today already.

Actually, as someone pointed out, in the US domestic market first class is no more than a fare category or a label. No one really offers first class service anymore. Most domestic F cabins I've seen on AA, UA, DL, don't look like first class to me at all.

drerx7

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:32 am

This is one of the most rediculous threads ever. Delta or Continental will never get rid of first class, or some type of premium carrier. As a previous member posted--you would have too many different configurations--it would be a financial disaster.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

slider

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:50 am

Put the crack pipe down and no one will get hurt!!!

Nuts

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:51 am

95% of the First class seats on short hauls are upgrades or non-revs.

Source, please? And "I heard that somewhere," doesn't count.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:52 am

They already did. CO and DL don't offer First Class on international flights - their Business First and Business Elite products are Business Class, not First. Even domestically, neither operates 3-class aircraft, so they could call First Class (Domestic) Business Class, and stop trying to kid the world they offer First Class.

Both Business services trump first on a majority of carriers.

AR385

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:57 am

I find it hard to believe they will get rid of their first class cabin. First of all, it's not a losing proposition. It's a good marketing strategy and a competitive advantage. Second, if they are on their way to joining Skyteam, and at least CO unoficially did already, no premium passenger would fly them as all the other carriers in Skyteam have first class except maybe CSA and Alitalia, which anyways have some form of European premium class. They would become the Southwest of Skytema and who wants that?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:00 am

As a cost saving measure, it makes sense to do so on short hop flights. However, it doesn't make sense to do so on longer haul flights. As an example....

You may only have a coach option for the short hop from SFO-SLC, but from SLC to MCO, you'd have the option of the Business or First product. Another example... From SFO to CVG you would have the Business or First product available, but not for the quick hop from CVG to ORD.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:01 am

Sorry, there arent any First Class on Delta and Continental, only Business Class

Business class on Delta and Continetal is their first class.........duh

ManchesterMAN

I can understand why they do it, but calling the seats up front "first class" on domestic routes is a bit strange when you consider they are not as good as the business seats on the long haul aircraft. With CO you fly Business on a 767 and get a better seat than first class on a 737! Same with the rest of the US carriers.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

xjramper

I know for a fact that NW does sell first class seats, however, only 2-4 seats are actual first class tickets. The rest of the persons sitting in 1st class are people who have upgraded from coach, either by a full fare connect-first fare, elite upgrades, or paying a $50, $75, or $100(on select fares).

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

tcfc424

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:03 am

First of all, if you will look at the websites and play with the schedules, a full Y fare is MORE than a discounted F fare...where's the cost problem? Also, the F cabins are likely maintained to keep the few remaining business pax satisfied, as they pay for the longhaul F cabin, but fly on Y fares...counting on getting upgraded (as they should, IMHO). I do not think this would be wise, however I would not be surprised to see them try it. Also, as far as CO is concerned (as I know more about there fleet), they could convert all of the 733's and 735's to an all coach layout and leave most of their NG's in two-class...would help in fleet management.

Just my .02

flyingdoctorwu

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:58 am

Both Business services trump first on a majority of carriers.

That statement is completely not true... I have flown BusinessFirst, BizElite, World Business, Envoy- whatever you want to call the premium cabin on most US airlines- it doesnt even compare to First Class on the international carriers (I've only been on SQ and CI). Leg room is reduced (circa 55-60" pitch vs. 75-80") food quality and drink quality is reduced... when they start serving caviar and Dom or Krug in those cabins then you can say that their products are truly a "first" class product but in the end they are really just a business class product.

Christopher Wu

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:09 am

"95% of the First class seats on short hauls are upgrades or non-revs. It's a losing proposition cost wise.
"

If there is no where to upgrade, then what will the airlines offer for those trillions and trillions of miles for which they are somewhat liable?
E pur si muove -Galileo

777gk

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:10 am

"Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see." - Tony Soprano

Laugh out loud

First class isn't going anywhere on Continental any time soon. We believe we offer the best domestic F product in the country, and we use it primarily to reward our best customers with an upgraded level of service. If anything, I could see Delta removing it, but definitely not Continental, when our major trump card over most programs is our EUA system.

By the way, our BusinessFirst product would surely beat out most carriers' business class product by considerable measure, and is comparable to First Class service on a number of international carriers.

UnitedFirst

RE: Delta And Continental Say Goodbye To First Cla

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:16 am

FlyingDoctorWu,

That statement is completely not true... I have flown BusinessFirst, BizElite, World Business, Envoy- whatever you want to call the premium cabin on most US airlines- it doesnt even compare to First Class on the international carriers (I've only been on SQ and CI).

I think that the other posters were comparing international premium Business Class service (ie, BusinessFirst, BusinessElite, etc) to domestic First Class of each respective U.S. carrier – not to international First Class service...and least of all services provided by foreign carriers!

You cannot compare Singapore Airlines First Class to any U.S. carrier's international Business Class service, that's for sure!

Derek

Dalmd88

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:37 am

Dl has already finished the test marketing on elimating premium cabins on short haul flights. When the 737-800 was removed from the Shuttle they moved them into other markets to test the cabin layout. A couple of cities included were HOU and MCI. The offical word was the tests went well. For the time being the planes are remaining on the test routes. No announcement has been made about future plans. We will be doing interior mods to freshen up the cabins in the coming months. That would be the earliest any changes would happen.

As a side note the 737-200 that are former Express were all fitted with premium cabins at the same time the test was occuring.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:50 am

You cannot compare Singapore Airlines First Class to any U.S. carrier's international Business Class service, that's for sure!

True. As was the rest of your post in to what we were refering too. Offering the service singapore does is easier when you have a small fleet. Most US regionals have a larger fleet than Singapore. The size and scale of US carriers makes a lot of these levels of service impossible. This is what competition does.