ulfinator

Commercial Aircraft Experimental Test Pilots

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:46 am

I just got out of a presentation by Suzanna Darcy-Henneman, Boeing's first ever Female Production Test Pilot in 1985, who is now the lead test pilot on the 777 program. It was really neat to hear her talk about some of the flights she has made as well as see footage that she brought in with some of the following:

- VMU test that were good and bad (footage of the first 747 burning a hole in the tail was interesting)

- Maximum Refused Takeoff Test (the one of and early presidential 747 catching on fire was interesting),

- Maximum Sidewind Landing Test (She said with the 757 the question for those tests is which side of the airplane will you see the runway from

- Compressor Stalls (big flames and the engine moves a lot on the pylon)

- Landing with googles on and you head out the window to show that the a/c can be landed with the a window gone.

Just thought I would share that with you. If I can get my hands on the footage I will share some of it.

Here is a brief article about the pilot http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/mainfeature1.html

HaveBlue

RE: Commercial Aircraft Experimental Test Pilots

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:54 am

Very cool stuff. I would love to see video of any of the testing described.
Here Here for Severe Clear!