ual747den

F9 And UA Fight Over Advertising Comp.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:19 am

I just read this information and thought I should share.

Rumor: Frontier's advertising company is no longer Sticky Grey. Some company called Ericsson-Fina is now the brains behind the ads.

Reality: Sticky Grey, part of Grey Worldwide, remains Frontier's advertising agency. But, recently, a few news articles have named Ericsson-Fina when associated with Frontier. Why?

Well, Grey Worldwide also handles United Airlines' advertising. United - a major Grey customer - was less than willing to share the Grey limelight and actually "asked" Grey to drop Frontier. Grey obviously values Frontier's business, so they opted to bypass UA's request by slotting Frontier under another Grey subsidiary: Ericsson-Fina. So, in truth, it's simply a pseudonym for Sticky.

This seems like a very bad call by the advertising company. Since Grey already represents UA they should have never signed with F9. This is a HUGE conflict of interest if you ask me and I hope someone from UA notices this and forces Grey to either drop F9 or pay UA for damages. I would think there are a lot of damages, an advertising company is who you trust to reach out to ALL of your customers and is basically in charge of the image that people see of your company......
/// UNITED AIRLINES

mariner

RE: F9 And UA Fight Over Advertising Comp.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:40 am

Ual747Den:

I'm confused. United Airlines is listed as a client of Fallon Worldwide, not Grey Worldwide. They are different - and competing - companies:

http://www.fallon.com/site_layout/work/clientview.aspx?projectid=135&clientid=26

The link will say "client: PBS", but click on the little red arrow to the right of "client" for their full client list and scroll down.

And, at least according to this article, the new UAL campaign was created by the Minneapolis branch of Fallon.

http://www.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2004/02/18/352442-ap.html

Is this info wrong?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

ual747den

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:51 am

Mariner,
Large companies like UAL will often use many different advertising companies. It could also be that they use Grey only for this market, im not sure. The information that I got is from an F9 employee release on March, 22nd so im sure that this information is correct....
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Alitalia744

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:52 am

many large communication holding companies with various agencies handle competitive products.

fallon is not a part of grey, it is a part of Publicis Worldwide, which is the parent company of my agency (which used to handle Delta...)

fallon handles a competitive product to my brand, so in reality, it is not uncommon for competitive brands to be handled by the same holding company.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

mariner

Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:57 am

Ual747Den:

Okay. Since Fallon claims UAL as a "primary" client and since Fallon created the present UAL campaign, I don't see that UAL has any beef against Grey even if they are handling some of UAL's business.

I'm also not sure how simply by changing the subsidiary, from Sticky to Ericsson Fina, changes any of the basic issues. They are both subsidiaries of Grey Worldwide.

But hey, if it keeps everyone happy...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

UA744Flagship

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:34 am

Grey does a lot of United.com's and United's online advertising.
no wire hangers!