northseatiger

Dodgy Aircraft

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:52 pm

What is the dodgiest aircraft you have ever seen flown on ??.

A couple of years back an e-mail arrived at work with photos of some small asian carriers 747, it had stopped in Germany en-route to the US for fuel, doing a quick turn round the engineer noticed a couple of cabin seat belts missing, on inspecting the engines he found the seatbelts from the cabin strapping a badly damaged front fan to prevent it mindmilling in flight, a boroscope was carried out on all 4 engines and the German authorities would'nt let the a/c fly until 3 of the engines were replaced !!.

Any similar horror stories.
T's And P's look good....Rotate

FoxBravo

RE: Dodgy Aircraft

Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:36 am

I was stuck at Beijing airport for the better part of a day back in 1999, and I watched a Xinjiang Airlines Il-86 depart for Urumqi. While I'm sure it was airworthy on the most basic level (and evidently reached its destination without major incident), it had to be the dodgiest-looking thing I've seen operating a regularly scheduled commercial flight. Most of its Aeroflot-esque paint scheme had peeled away--it looked like it was ready to start dropping any number of parts, engines, etc. I snapped a few photos, although I don't think they're of the quality to be accepted on this site. Normally I jump at the chance to fly on an interesting plane and/or airline, but I would not have set foot on that thing if you paid me. In any event, I believe those Il-86s are now gone, as is that old terminal with its dry-erase arrival/departure boards.  Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

CPDC10-30

Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:38 am

A couple of years back an e-mail arrived at work with photos of some small asian carriers 747

IIRC, I received the same email claiming it was Korean Air. This is an urban legend.

ushermittwoch

Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:47 am

The worst a/c I have been on lately was N171DZ.
The paint was peeling off all around the cockpit and the interior was really filthy.
Nothing too exciting. It just didn't look good.
I guess DL is cutting back on everything to try to survive.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos