fly_yhm

Westjet Transborder Service

Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:34 pm

When should we expect to hear from Westjet concerning the U.S. transborder service they plan to start in October. We still haven't herd where these flights will originate. We haven't herd much!
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

RE: Westjet Transborder Service

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:03 pm

Hey Fly_yhm, nothing official has been released yet, I'd imagine since flights don't start till October that nothing would be announced until around summer time.

yegbey01

Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:12 pm

I guess they have to be a bit cautious. CanJet added MDW and LGA. Jetsgo will be making announcements soon.

They can't flood the market with too many seats... They will definitely announce flights from YYC.

Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:57 pm

Yegbey01, our destinations of Los Angeles, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando will not be affected at all by the CanJet announcement, since they are totally different markets. Also we cannot announce anything until slots and airport contracts have been finalized and things are set in place. It would also make more sense to roll it out with the Fall Schedule, as opposed to having separate announcements.

CanadaEH

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:55 am

Montreal will be seeing a lot of charter flights to the US/Mexico/Carribean this summer.. I'll post details later.
EH.

Whiteguy

Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:29 am

Pay attention WestjetYYZ

Canjet is starting YHM-MCO in june, so it looks like they'll beat WS into that market.

CanadaEH

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:56 am

Westjet summer charter service, various dates starting in June thru October:

YEG-YYC-CUN (sat)
YYC-VRA (sat)
YVR-YYC-CUN (sat)
YVR-YYC-VRA (sat)
YUL-ZSA (thurs)
YUL-PVR (fri)
YUL-FLL (sat)
YUL-HOG (sat)
YVR-PVR (sat/sun)
YUL-MCO (sun)
YYC-PVR (sat)
YYZ-PVR (sun)
YYZ-FLL (sun)
YEG-PVR (sun)
YYZ-SXM (sat)

These are recent additions, not including any other scheduled charter flights that I don't know about. Not bad considering we had NO charter service (with the exception of YVR/YEG/YYC/YWG-LAS and YYZ-SXM) last year.
EH.

CanadaEH

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:57 am

I should have created a new topic, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Any idea where ZSA is?
EH.

caribb

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:02 am

ZSA is San Salvador in the Bahamas

Goose

Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:32 pm

I heard that WS had some planes do stopovers in NAS a few times in the past year, most likely for gas on the way to Cuba or the Dominican. That's just a guess, though.

But, it's good to see them doing charters to the Bahamas, now....
"Talk to me, Goose..."

FLYACYYZ

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:34 pm

Wondering about the levels of In-Flight service on charter flights offered by both Westjet and Jetsgo. As meals are not part of the norm on regularly scheduled domestic flights, have they contracted with tour companies/caterers to provide in-flight meals? Don't presume that WS or SG galleys are equipped with ovens.
Above and Beyond

dripstick

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:48 pm

I have heard that meals are served on Westjet and Jetsgo sun charters but not sure if they were hot.

Dripstick
What's another word for thesaurus?

fly_yhm

Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:53 am

Meals on westjet suncharters are awful we had raw bacon when I was fed ona flight from YYZ-POP.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

lymanm

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:33 am

"I heard that WS had some planes do stopovers in NAS a few times in the past year, most likely for gas on the way to Cuba or the Dominican. That's just a guess, though."

The 1500 NM trip should be no problem for a 737NG, so I'd venture to say it wasn't a tech stop, but as a charter. Plus, NAS is pretty far from the route of flight from YYZ/YUL to the Dominican.

buhh bye

CanadaEH

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:50 pm

Rod,

We do serve inflight meals on the charters, albeit cold.  Smile

We have our own in-house catering (dubbed "Air Supply") in YVR/YYC/YEG/YWG and contracted WFS doing Air Supply in YHM. We'll soon be opening another Air Supply base in YYZ, but until then we have it contracted out to Cara. Cara recently started servicing our aircraft in YUL as well.

I've never heard any comments about the meals, but our in-flight service does get a lot of compliments. A standard Westjet flight, probably complete with the corny jokes at the end.
EH.

yyz717

Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:18 pm

The 1500 NM trip should be no problem for a 737NG, so I'd venture to say it wasn't a tech stop, but as a charter.

Actually, 2500nm is no problem for a 73G.

Meals on westjet suncharters are awful we had raw bacon

Raw bacon? Ya sure.  Insane

I've never heard any comments about the meals, but our in-flight service does get a lot of compliments.

Given the huge expansion of WJ sun charters, clearly the tour companies and customers are happy also. Seems like cold meals are a non-issue when the inflight service is very friendly and very efficient.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:14 pm

The aircraft were making tech stops in NAS for fuel due to a fuel shortage in the Dominican.

The meals from my experience are actually quite good, I've never seen raw bacon? That might have just been a one off oversight. Don't forget, WestJet normally doesn't serve the meals, these are something the charter companies pay for. If they want us to serve gourmet meals, then they'd have to pay for them.