Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usair320
Topic Author

Your Thoughts On The US 762's.

Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:11 pm

I just flew one PHL-LGW Flight 98. It was OK a little beat uP. and the over head locker was not functioning correctly. The main screen movie sucked. O by the way this was in the summer time.

Horus

RE: Your Thoughts On The US 762's.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:52 am

I think we can see a potential 7E7 customer  Big thumbs up

dutchjet

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:37 am

US has ordered the A332 to replace its 762s - the only questions are can US afford another 10 brand-new widebody aircraft, does it really need another 10 widebodies in its fleet, will US still be in business when the planes are to be delivered, and, finally, even if they are still in business, US may be a smaller carrier with no need for the A332s.

US has not invested money in keeping its 757/767 fleet up to date as far as interior design, business class seating, and creature comforts - and its a shame. While I know all of the new Airbuses are wonderful aircraft, they are very expensive to own/lease.....the older 757/767 are far more affordable and with US in the tight financial position that it is in, needs to save every penny that it can. Updated 757s would be ideal for Florida/Las Vegas/Caribbean and some transcon routes (where the capacity is needed and the superb economics of the 757 can be appreciated) and the updated 762s are ideal for less-popular "thin" transatlantic routes, opening new long range routes accross the atlantic, and also make sense for some high-density domestic flying (US should take at look at how CO uses its aircraft - no more capacity then necessary and keep fares up). While the idea of a pretty, new (and effecient) A32X and A33X fleet for US Airways is a nice one, the fact is that US simply cannot afford all of these new planes at this difficult time. I truly fear that we may see those beautiful US A333s parked in the desert in the near future.

PHLapproach

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:21 am

US will be reconfiguring the seating in the 752's to accommodate more seats and as Dutchjet has said US was slowly replacing the 762's with A333's. I have to reinstall Excel so if someone could see how many A333's have still not been delivered to US to open the deliveries its at the bottom of this page http://www.airbus.com/media/orders_n_deliveries.asp.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:01 am

US will be out of business by the end of the year. WN is going to kill them.

dutchjet

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:05 am

Per Airbus, US has received all 9 of the A333s it ordered, and US now has 10 A332 on order. (Also, I did not realize that US still has large undelivered orders for the A320 and A321. - They must be kidding!)

jetjack74

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:24 am

Can anyone tell me if US Airways has scrapped one of it's 762's. A few years ago, I was on a layover in PHL, and we were on the crew bus going over to the terminal. We were dropping off a FedEx crew at their facility, and I noticed a gull-grey painted 767-200. It had no engines, the cabin doors and overwing exits were missing. Flight deck windows were missing, Various acces panels on the empanage were missing. It looked like it had a bit of fuselage damage on it and seemed it was about to go under the cutters torch. I did not see a registration on the aircraft, but since US Airways is the dominant carrier there, I assumed it might be one of theirs. Anyone have any info on it?

JBirdAV8r

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:35 am

Can anyone tell me if US Airways has scrapped one of it's 762's. A few years ago, I was on a layover in PHL, and we were on the crew bus going over to the terminal. We were dropping off a FedEx crew at their facility, and I noticed a gull-grey painted 767-200. It had no engines, the cabin doors and overwing exits were missing. Flight deck windows were missing, Various acces panels on the empanage were missing. It looked like it had a bit of fuselage damage on it and seemed it was about to go under the cutters torch. I did not see a registration on the aircraft, but since US Airways is the dominant carrier there, I assumed it might be one of theirs. Anyone have any info on it?

Yeah, that bird had an uncontained engine failure at PHL maintenance with resulting fire (I believe?) and was written off and ultimately scrapped.

COAB767

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:41 am

Personally I think the US 767s are ugly looking not on the outside but on the inside.

PHLapproach

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:45 am

Oh maybe that's what some of the other a.net guys were talking about at PHL last Sunday. I think they said that maintenance was taxiing it and one of the engines exploded. I didn't really hear, maybe it was another A/C, could you guys maybe fill us in on this. I was too busy watching aircrafts on final when they were talking about it Big grin

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:51 am

It was N654US that was written off after an uncontained engine failure and subsequent fire. As PHLapproach mentioned, we were talking about it last Sunday, in fact, I was the one that was wondering where it was. The airframe was still in one piece as of about a year ago, there is a pic of it in the database.. IIRC, Bryan and Joe both said it had been completely parted out and finally broken up.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joseph J. Wagner

jetjack74

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:05 pm

Yeah that was the plane, Thanks for the info.

USAFHummer

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:12 pm

"I think we can see a potential 7E7 customer"

USAirways and Boeing get along about as well as the Hatfields and the McCoys...so if US survives this would be equivalent to WN or AS ordering Airbuses, as in, it aint ever happening...

Nonetheless I flew on a 762 about a year ago CLT-PHL and saw nothing blatantly obviously wrong with them, just a normal interior, in normal condition...

Greg

rockyracoon

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:29 pm

They get their pax from point A to point B just fine. Us is in no condition to be worrying about their 762's.

peace

kjet12

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:45 pm

I thought they were quite comfortable. Nothing spectacular nor negative about them. I hope US Airways can survive the current struggle they're in.

Kris

Tan Flyr

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:29 am

I flew on one last weeek from CLT to MCO...all seemed normal to me.

Sine new Airbusses seem to out of the picture cost wise, maybe US outh to look at picking up a few used 762's that AA and UA are retiring...maybe they can squeeze a few more years out of tehm and make money doing it..remember ( if do correctly) the 757's are ex-EAL..delivered in the early 80's..and they seem to be doing OK.

(Not baiting a A vs B war...but maybe Boeing builds planes that you can operate longer and squeeze more pennies of operationg profit out of in the later years??)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos