United_fan

Ever Feel Guilty Using Your FF Miles?

Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:59 am

The reason I ask , is that I just book my flight to LAS . I used my UA Mileage Plus miles for a free (well $10.00) trip . I wasn't going to use them,(the miles),but $550 is more than I wanted to spend now. I figure I've been flying them for 4 years now,and I deserved a freebee.
Anyone else?
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

pilottim747

RE: Ever Feel Guilty Using Your FF Miles?

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:08 am

I don't feel quilty because the airlines have capacity control. It seems there are fewer and fewer seats available for frequent flier tickets. I'm almost up to earning a free ticket to Europe on Northwest. I looked, just for fun, the other day for space to Hawaii or Europe so I could use the ticket. I searched for quite a while to HNL, OGG, and several cities in Europe. Nothing was available to be booked. Can't feel real quilty about that.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

deltaffindfw

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:27 am

I don't know if I would call it guilt, but I hesitate to use miles. I have this stupid theory that I don't need to spend 25,000 miles to fly a short distance like DFW-ATL to visit friends. I rationalize that paying $250 is better!

dutchjet

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:56 am

Guilty? NO WAY! The mileage programs were created to reward frequent flyers who "earned" their miles by flying with that airline or using service offered by the airline partners, and the fun part is cashing the miles in for travel. I save miles for longer trips, in business class, where otherwise the fares would be far too expensive for me to pay out of my pocket.

JBirdAV8r

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:01 am

I accrue a fair amount, but I donate all mine to Make-A-Wish and other charitable organizations. There are a whole lot of people in this world who want/need to fly places more than I do. It's the very least I can do.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

flyboy36y

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:02 am

I think by guilty, he meant upset that you are spending miles instead of saving them up for an ever better prize. I often feel that way. I've spent 75,000 miles on upgrades...

United_fan

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:11 am

The way I was looking at it is,United isn't doing great financially,but my fare isn't going to make them any better.(finanancially)

SHUPirate1

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:19 am

I remember, about two weeks after US Airways had emerged from bankruptcy, getting VDBed from a PHF-CLT flight...I got a free roundtrip ticket voucher, and needed a ticket from LGA to AGS for the summer (keep in mind, that the dates I needed to go precluded a Saturday stay), and was asked if I was a millionaire, because the price of the ticket was $1300...needless to say, I was more than happy to use the "Get Out Of New York Free" card on that trip...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

myk

Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:48 am

The funny thing is, as long as I was a student, I almost immediatly spent my first 20000 miles for a trip between Paris and Germany. Now that I have approx. 100 000, I am more and more miserly to spend them and I refuse to spend 20000 miles just for a domestic flight. I think that the best thing is to accumulate till I can ask for a transpacific or transatlantic business ticket. The price difference makes it really a good deal !

bullpitt

Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:34 pm

The last time I used my IB FF points was to take my next door neighbor's daughter on her first flight, my son and I flew non rev. Hope it will be something she'll always remember.  Smokin cool
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

ltbewr

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:11 am

NO WAY...Now you may be guilty if used the miles for an upgrade insteaad of a trip later, or being greedy and trying to save up for the Hawaii trip, but this is a motivation program for you to use a particular airline. You don't have any guilt buying something at Walmart vs. a local store do you or using coupons at a store? If I can get a free flight once after taking a number of flights, if got the miles on a cheap vacation flight, then fine.

jhooper

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:29 pm

Why would anyone feel guilty for using FF miles? You earned them, didn't you?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

JeffB

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:39 pm

I will feel guilty when the CEO, making easy 7+ figures, feels guilty for his salary.

Cactus739

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:40 pm

JBirdAv8r... That's pretty cool of you I have to say...way to go... make someone's life a little happier...

United_Fan... no need for feeling guilty. You earned them, they gave them to you, they're there for you to use!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

jcs17

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:00 pm

No. I paid for my tickets myself and if the airline offers free tickets then I am going to take full advantage of it. Because I have paid for about ten trips, I think the airline can afford to give me a free trip in return.

Damn, after what JBird said I feel like a jerk!  Big grin
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

B4REAL

Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:21 pm

Guilty, no, but I agree w/ Deltaffindfw

I will NOT use my miles (over 300K) for a flight that is a good deal in coach, but will definitely use them for 1st class trips and expensive venues.

It is your right, go 4 it!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:26 pm

Do you think the airline feels guilty for taking your money?

bobb

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:01 pm

Guilty?

Wait... Airlines are FOR-PROFIT entities. OK, I know we all love planes and sometimes a favorite, but guilty? Are UAL's marketing Ads THAT GOOD?  Big grin

JGPH1A

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:39 pm

You should NEVER feel guilty using FF miles - you've earned them, let the airline honour their commitment in return. They are banking on most FQTV not redeeming all their mileage, and put every possible obstacle in place to prevent you from doing so (except if your Top Tier Super Platinum Deluxe) - so do your best to disappoint them. There are literally trillions of unused FF miles out there, and if everyone decided to use them all at once, every airline with a program would go bankrupt immediately. Hence stringent capacity controls make it IMPOSSIBLE for all FF to use their miles.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

airbear

Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:52 pm

United_Fan... rest easy pal! You are doing them a favour by using your points.

All those millions & millions of unused Miles are accounted for by all airlines, as Current Liabilities, Accrued Liabilities, or some similar account title, and are given a nominal $-value. Too many unused points "out there" stick out like sore thumbs on their Balance Sheets.

The more miles used, the better. Up to a point, of course. That's where the Yield Management systems come into the picture - to provide a proper balance on any given flight, between revenue earned (in all classes), and freebies given away. If there is a seat available as a freebie on a flight, it is there after careful consideration. Sure, they'd love to sell the seat, but they also want to reduce that Liability.

Also, they know/hope that you'll be back with your real $$$ next time.

So ... redeem away with abandon!

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:02 am

Just a question regarding FF miles and VDB. If you are travelling on an award ticket, are you eligible for VDB compensation?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Regis

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:21 am

My impression is that the word "guilty" here was not used in the sense of feeling bad for "hurting" the airlines by using one's FF miles instead of paying for a ticket, but guilty in the sense of wasting your miles, of the dilemma between cashing in on your FF miles or saving them for a rainy day.

It takes me about two years of flying with my FF carrier (SWISS) to earn the 70,000 miles needed for a transatlantic award in coach. So yes I feel bad when I think that my two-year effort in saving FF miles will suddenly evaporate in one trip. But then the prospect of bankruptcy in the airline industry is very high, so the thought of losing my FF miles in a liquidation offsets my guilt for using them while the airline is still operating.

[Edited 2004-03-29 17:38:19]

USAFHummer

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:27 am

Ive only used my mileage stash once so far, and it was to bring a friend over to visit from the UK since otherwise he wouldn't have been able to afford to come...no guilt about that of course...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

bobb

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:09 am

About spending your miles on the wrong trip...

WN's frequent flyer program doesn't count miles. When you get a free ticket, it's good for anywhere WN flies. So potentially you could spend your free ticket for a $70 trip vs spending on a $300 trip. In the old days then those "free" coupons were paper and totally transferable, you could, and I think many did, sold them at eBay for the WN max $300 - 50. Now however, they are electronic and not as easy to transfer.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:31 am

After this summer, I will have 50.000 NW miles. What should I do? Spend them on two domestic roundtrips? Or 2 transatlantic upgrades? If I do an upgrade, is it good from origin to destination, or only the overseas segment. Example, if I fly RST-MSP-DTW-JFK-AMS-OSL-AMS-DTW-MSP-RST, will all of those be in F/WBC? I am more likely to afford to buy roundtrip domestic tickets, than overseas business...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ssides

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:50 am

KaiGywer --

definitely cash in on the upgrade opportunity. I can't think of many domestic flights that are worth 25,000 miles.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

United_fan

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:26 am

Thanks everyone . I didn't feel that guilty  Smile I will be spending money to fly on UA to LAX or SNA in July (for ai2004!!) and then probably out to SEA in Dec. before Christmas for a Boeing tour .

fanoftristars

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:09 am

I always hesitate to use my miles, but the last 50k I spent was completely worth it! I cashed in the miles to fly my sister and her husband to Boston for her birthday in June. Without the Saturday night stay, the price was well over $1100 a ticket, $420 with the Saturday stay. When I told my sister (who is kind of poor and can't afford a vacation) she was elated. The best use of my miles so far.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

NIKV69

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:28 am

Why would you feel guilty? You earned the miles, use them!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

deltairlines

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:30 am

I might have to fly down to GSO next weekend. Right now, the cheapest airfare is about $350, and it would be me going with another person. DL has SkySaver awards available though, so the choice comes down to $700 on tickets, or 50,000 miles for a ticket...that's a tough choice (sarcasm)

Jeff

InnocuousFox

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:34 am

I upgraded my wife to FC last week (she was coming out 2 days after me) without telling her. She had been up late the night before and had a 7:35 flight, 2 hops. She was quite pleased. I spent 15000 on her, but my trip gets me back above 25000.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!