WhiteEaglePL
Topic Author

Northern Light

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:26 pm

Hi

Take a look at this photo :

http://airliners.net/open.file/523538/M/

It's an amazing scene indeed. I wanted to ask 2 things. I'll be flying from LAX to MUC on the March of 30th. This picture was taken from LH airplane somewhere above Canada. Is it possible that I could catch the northern light on the route to MUC ? And second thing is that my departure is at 16:45 Pacific time. My question is, if I'll try to catch up the night or if I'll fly during the day ? I almost forgot how this beauty arises ?Thank you in advance.

"The Sky is the limit" PoLska

[Edited 2004-03-28 10:28:45]

wireless

RE: Northern Light

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:40 pm

I am sitting in LHR right now, and I *just* saw the northern lights during today's UA 930 SFO-LHR (departed 12:40pm PST, arrived 08:00 GMT) run over Canada. My pictures didn't come out very well, but I freaked when I saw them. They aren't as bright as you think, since there's lots of light pollution inside the cabin.

Checking the Great Circle Mapper, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to see them on your flight. I assume there are other factors, but the routes look somewhat similar over Northern Canada. Run a search on the forums, there's a link to a forecasting site.

flyingnanook

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:44 pm

As for your flight times, I'm not too sure about how dark it will be when you pass the northern most point on your path. But if you will be passing over between midnight and 2am local time, that would be the best time. I don't want to disappoint you but I checked the aurora forecast for that date and it will be quiet, meaning that you'll have to be way way north (past the Arctic circle) to get a decent display if the lights show up at all.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with the flight and route you'll be taking can shed a little more light on this. Oh and you better be on the left hand side of the plane to see them.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

WhiteEaglePL
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:45 pm

Do you know approximately when do they appear ? By the way what do you mean you are sitting in an LHR now ? R you on a flight ?

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Just fire up that old MS Flightsim (2002 or 2004) and fly off into the arctic on a clear night. Northern Lights galore!

Winter is the best time, since the night is longer.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flyingnanook

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:07 pm

The northern lights are pretty fickle. As stated above, the best time to view them is between midnight and 2am local time, but they can appear any time between sunset and sunrise. So I hope you get lucky and see them, I'll keep my fingers crossed. If not, maybe you should take a trip up to FAI where we've been getting some pretty active lights lately.  Smile
Semper ubi sub ubi.

L-188

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:11 pm

Those aren't the Northern Lights FlyingNanook.

What you are seeing are the lights off the troopers cruisers when they raid another Meth lab in North Pole.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WhiteEaglePL
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:23 pm

Thx for having your fingers crossed FlyingNanook. I'll take some pictures if I'll have an ocassion. I'll for sure from the LAX and MUC and I hope I'll get lucky with the northenr lught.  Smile

planemad

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:43 pm

I just saw them on FS 2004 while flying YVR-HKG in Cathay PAcific 747!!

flyingnanook

Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:47 pm

L-188: It's only funny 'cuz it's true.  Big thumbs up
Semper ubi sub ubi.

L-188

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:32 pm

It could be worse, ANC is so bad for light pollution, I have to drive way the hell out to Goose Bay or Kashwitna to get a decent view  Sad
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.