Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:42 pm

Norwegian (DY) add Split to it's route network, served from Oslo Smile

OSL-SPU (B737-300)
DY342 OSL: 10:15 / SPU: 13:10 Sunday
DY340 OSL: 10:35 / SPU: 13:30 Wednesday

SPU-OSL (B737-300)
DY343 SPU: 14:00 / OSL: 17:00 Sunday
DY341 SPU: 14:15 / OSL: 17:15 Wednesday

There are also rumours that Norwegian will start flights from Bergen and/or Oslo to Newcastle this year.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paulo carvalho

Businessboy

RE: Norwegian (DY) News!

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:55 pm

Where SPU?????
I dont really know my airport codes...

Smile
LOVE CONTINENTAL AIRLINES & LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS

DC9

Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:59 pm

Read the topic closely and you'll se where it is

Businessboy

Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:01 am

Thanks..............................

By the way, where is Split??

Smile  Smile

[Edited 2004-03-30 16:02:34]
LOVE CONTINENTAL AIRLINES & LOVE BRITISH AIRWAYS

pera

Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:06 am

Split is a city in Croatia!

MEA-707

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:05 am

BTW is Norwegian still using some of his Fokker 50s? I understood four were seen stored.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

gkirk

Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:25 am

Heard the rumour it would be both Oslo and Bergen to Newcastle.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:18 am

MEA-707, they are getting rid of all the F50s to concentrate only on LCC flying with the 737s. They cancelled the contract they had with BU to fly the west coast routes, and also a couple of routes in northern Norway.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

caravelle

Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:25 am

GKirk, you must be joking. Maybe during the football season, Fridays and Mondays for a punter's full week end, as Newcastle has some fans here, but two smallish cities serving one smallish city? Don't think so....

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

gkirk

Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:50 am

Caravelle...not the football fans, but the oil/gas etc. Been a big market between NCL and Norway since the days of Braathens. A LCC would increase this market, especially if they didnt operate NCL-SVG.

Norwegian have operated a LOT of charters between NCL and Bergen recently, for shoppers to the Metro Centre I believe.
You'd be surprised. Maybe an Oslo-Bergen-Newcastle flight?
Or Wideroe operating seperate NCL-OSL and NCL-Bergen flights.

VCE

Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:55 pm

Split is a nice old city built by the Venetians (it's a small Venice) and the Italians then (the old name is Ragusa) that has become Croatian at the end of the WWII when Italy was defeated.
It's in the Dalmatian coast in the Adriatic sea.

heisan67

Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:18 am

A route between Oslo and Newcastle...not to mention Stavanger - Newcastle would be very interesting I belive. Widerøe operates 2 daily flights from Stavanger to Newcastle already....

caravelle

Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:37 am

Exactly. WF has the kind of aircraft to fly between destinations of this size. Norwegian got rid of their F50s, and using their 737's would be like wearing a poncho for a napkin. The business community is interested in daily connections, and I can't imagine ever that there would be enough pax from Oslo AND Bergen to NCL on a daily basis.

- caravelle

gkirk

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:16 am

Caravelle...I have to agree with you. If it happens it'll either be NCL-Oslo or NCL-Bergen. Probably NCL-Oslo I would think, with maybe WF doing Bergen

heisan67

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:00 pm

OK - don't forget the possibility to take cargo in consideration as well.

gamarocchi

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:07 pm

VCE, you are confusing Split with Dubrovnik..

sobelair

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:54 pm

Exactly.

Split used to be called SPALATO
Dubrovnik was RAGUSA.  Wink/being sarcastic

chriskam

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:16 pm

KaiGywer: You've got it a little mixed up. The SAS Group cancelled the contract DY had with Braathens after SAS bought Braathens. DY also operated two F50s on PSO-flights in Northern Norway in 2003 (Tromsø to Lakselv and Andenes), but cancelled that contract when they figured out it wasn't such a hot idea after all. The PSO-flights are now operated by Widerøes. Norwegian did operate SVG-NCL in 2002 with F50s, but cancelled that route in December 2002 when Widerøe became too tough a competitor, and DY was too preoccupied with their LCC-operations in Norway to spend time on NCL. P***d a lot of folks in NCL off! The airline flew a lot of groups (school kids mostly) from the UK to Norway during the winter and summer.

I don't think business-fliers will switch from Widerøe on the SVG-NCL route to DY, which does most of their international flights WAY off-peak. Widerøe has a really good product, with connections from the rest o Norway with SAS Braathens

caravelle

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:47 am

Heisan67, what cargo to carry? Salmon?  Big grin
Or heavy oil related equipment? Forget it. They use ships these days. It's not a 24 day voyage. It's done in less than 20 hours if need be.

- caravelle

VCE

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:36 am

Gamarocchi, you are right regaring the name, Dubrovnik was Ragusa, Split was Spalato.. but both were built by the Venetians and then before to become Croatian they were part of the Kingdom of Italy.

heisan67

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:01 pm

I belive there are cargo between Stavanger and Newcastle, which also would effect the traffic, but I understand that there is not that much as between eg Stavanger-Aberdeen.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:14 am

As far as I remember from working for WF at SVG, the cargo loads to ABZ were always heavy, with pieces of equipment weighing up to 150-200 kgs each. I don't remember much cargo on NCL however.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

CroFlight

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:19 am

VCE, you probably missed some of your basic history classes in primary school... or... something's wrong with your head?

Dubrovnik was independent republic, never belonged to Italy or any other country in history!

Split was italian only during the italian occupation in II WW, when your idol Mussolini was the main guy.
It was built by roman emperor Dioklecian far before Italy was founded or Venice was built.

Sorry for off-topic, guys, but I couldn't resist... hope you understand.

regards,

CroFlight

sterne82

Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:14 am

Does Norwegian have any plans to expand their fleet?

Regards,

-Sterne

VCE

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:03 pm

Does anybody knows if Norwegian will continue to fly to Venice also in winter 2004? Thanx in advance.

--

Dear CroFlight.. my idol was is not Mussolini.. and i know the history well. Dalmatia has become Italian before Mussolini took over Italy and anyway the Dalmatians as all the other Italians payed a big tribute to the Reunification of the country. Should we remind the thousands of Italians killed by yr idol Tito when he took over Dalmatia at the end of the WWII? Don't you remind that people there were forbidden to study Italian or to print newspapers in Italian? I remind also that Tito wanted Trieste.. Anyway you should know that the origins of Ragusa (Dubrovnik) are dated to the Roman Empire, and

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/balkans/dalmatia18151918.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatia#Illyria_and_the_Roman_Empire

http://www.dalmazia.it/dalmazia/origini.htm

http://www.dalmazia.it/dalmazia/diaspora.htm

gamarocchi

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:20 pm

VCE: I am sorry to contradict you. It is true that a request of Italy was to have Istria and Dalmatia after the first world war. Anyway, Italy only got Istria (minus Fiume/Rjieka) and Zara/Zada which was conceded to Italy by the Austrians if I remember well. Fiume was later conquered by D'Annunzio's volunteers. The rest of Dalmatia, including Spalato and Dubrovnik, were give to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia by the peace conference that followed the war. This provoked a lot of unrest and protests in Italy, and the Fascist party did indeed put the conquer of the WHOLE Dalmatia as one of its top priorities, which they accomplished during the war. Anyway, there are reasons why the Dalmatian region was not given to Italy. The Italian population was then a minority inside those cities, even in Split, because of immigration in the past century from the surrounding countryside which had always been slavic. Even in the Istrian cities (and in Trieste, I might add) where the Italians were a majority, the Slovenians and Croats were a strong minority and actually the majority in parts of the countryside. Add to that, that historically many of the Latin people in Southern Dalmatia never considered themselves Italian but only Dalmatian (and in fact some of them spoke a latin language not related to Italian).

[Edited 2004-04-09 15:21:23]

VCE

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:30 pm

Gamarocchi, right only if you speak about the south of Dalmatia, and basically Ragusa (Dubrovnik). Anyway if you still go now as i often do in the center north of Dalmatia, a few people (the largest majority were killed by Tito or expelled from their houses) continue to speak a Venetian dialect (Giuliano).
Can we say that thousands of Dalmatian Italians were killed or is it politically uncorrect to say the thruth? Smile

Anyway bravo Gamarocchi for yr post. The only remark is that Fiume (Rijeka), Zara (Zadar) and many other cities were Italian at 100% as Trieste, in fact they payed a big tribute to the unification of Venezia Giulia (Dalmatia) to Italy.

gamarocchi

Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:36 pm

Agreed for Fiume. And true that there was maybe an "almost majority" of Italians in Spalato. I also know very well about what happened to the venetians in Istria and Dalmatia after the war. In fact my great grandmother was Istrian. Anyway I do think that Italy was right after all to forgive the past and get on with life... otherwise we would have another issue like Palestine / Israel. Sometimes, peace requires to concede defeat, the problem of the area is that the Slavic nationalism was very strong and Tito played into that, the venetians, considering the region and not just the cities, where just too few, the pretense to unify the entire region to Italy was wrong... The thing is different in Istria.. but anyway. The past is the past.

heisan67

Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:11 am

Regarding Norwegian....3 more B737-300 are added to their fleet these days, thats why they add more destinations to their network. If Norwegian will continue Oslo-Venezia in winter I do not know. Norwegian has not yet launched their winter flight program to my knowledge.

MarcoPolo747

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:33 am

DY has one of the nicest liveries in the sky and is apparently taking the Norwegian flag farther than Braathens used too. I've not flown with it, but even as a LCC I'd expect a high quality level, typically Scandinavian.

heisan67

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:12 pm

And the livery for Braathens will be changed soon, so will the SAS livery for SAS Norway. SAS Norway and Braathens are to become 1 airline company in May 2004 and will operate a total of 50 B737.

Norwegian is now the "under dog" in the Norwegian market with their 11 B737-300. Due to the fact that SAS is not that very popular among Norwegians, the new LCC Norwegian has become more and more popular opening new nonstop routes from Norway in a large scale.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos